The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #51
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Default Re: The Kirsten Dunst/Mary Jane Watson Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Because the opening lines by Peter is him reminding the audience that he rejected MJ two years ago because his life as Spider-Man was too dangerous.

Being still in love with her doesn't mean he's been stringing her along with constant rejections. In fact the movie makes the point that she hardly ever sees him anyway because his life is too busy.

People are always committing murder, too. That doesn't make that right either.

Again, this doesn't justify what she was doing. The world is full of selfish people who use others just to fill a void in their life.

MJ was one of those people. You pointing out it happens in the real world doesn't make it any better.

How are they good reasons? Explain to me how you can justify using someone in a loveless relationship because she can't get over someone who rejected her TWO years ago makes what MJ did not selfish.

You're just re-enforcing my point. She was only being with John because she couldn't have the guy she really wanted. "The next best thing" is not someone you don't love.

He did no such thing. After he quit being Spider-Man he could live a normal life and then went to her and offered her his love.

She was already engaged to John and everything by this point. If MJ had the slightest inkling she didn't love John and wanted Peter, which he obviously did especially after doing the upside down kiss on John and then going to meet Peter behind John's back, then she should have ended things with John then and there like any decent person would.

Two things:

1. Her heart didn't want John and she knew that
2. It doesn't give her license to use someone else to fill an emotional void she can't get over even after 2 years

Which she was clearly intending to do if she had not learned Peter was Spider-Man. I mean even after she learned Peter was Spider-Man she let the wedding proceed anyway, and of course had to wait until the last moment to run out on John and leave him a little card note.

Classy.

That doesn't alter or excuse her selfish behavior. You don't mis treat other people just because you have personal issues.

MJ is painted as some paragon of virtue in these movies. Some kind of wonderful girl who Peter can only hope to dream of having. Yet she is one of the most selfish people ever to grace a comic book movie.

She throws her feminine wiles around like ninja stars.
You obviously have way more passion than I do on this topic. Although I do believe that MJ is not totally unselfish in her actions(no one really ever is) I also do not believe that she was doing things on purpose as if being with John was some part of a master plan. On top of that I DO believe MJ was a good person. I can agree with you on some things, such as MJ handled everything with John and Peter in a horrible manner and yes, it was because of her upbringing. A woman with a poor father figure will cause those type of poor social skills, lack of selfconfidence, and roller coaster emotions. No, I do not think that it is an excuse for her actions but it is still the reason. And I do apologize for creating examples from the real world but that's the only one I know. I am experienced myself, having been through more than my share of both good and bad relationships. Love makes people do strange things many of which are not necessarily nice but does that make someone into a bad person? No. Leaving someone at the altar for example is not something I would consider classy...not at all. Does love excuse her behavior? No. I was taught to treat others as you would want them to treat you and vice versa. People make mistakes though and we all have regrets. I have made many mistakes along the way and I have mistreated people unfortunately. Some of those times I was able to correct the situation and others, well, those are some of my regrets. Life is full of painful things but that is how we learn to grow. The character of MJ made her mistakes but she grew from them. It was slow, but sadly we won't be able to see how far she could have come now that the Raimi era has ended.

For whatever reason it appears you have some serious hatred towards the character of MJ. Does she remind you of someone else perhaps? Is it because John reminds you of yourself or someone close to you and you're rooting for him for that reason? I don't know. It's not really any of my business and I don't really care to know either. Or maybe you're just extremely passionate about how much you hate her character...or maybe I am a bit more forgiving of her actions. I certainly don't praise her as you may think I do. Oh, and comparing murder to being in a bad relationship, just because it "doesn't make it right"...I think that might be a bit over the top. I'm sorry but taking someone's life and causing someone emotional pain are not the same thing no matter what spin you want to put on it.

I have said my piece and you have said yours. I am not going to change my mind about how I view the character nor the situation so I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that. Cheers.

Last edited by UltimateWebhead; 01-09-2012 at 02:05 AM.
UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #52
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Because the opening lines by Peter is him reminding the audience that he rejected MJ two years ago because his life as Spider-Man was too dangerous.

Being still in love with her doesn't mean he's been stringing her along with constant rejections. In fact the movie makes the point that she hardly ever sees him anyway because his life is too busy.

People are always committing murder, too. That doesn't make that right either.

Again, this doesn't justify what she was doing. The world is full of selfish people who use others just to fill a void in their life.

MJ was one of those people. You pointing out it happens in the real world doesn't make it any better.

How are they good reasons? Explain to me how you can justify using someone in a loveless relationship because she can't get over someone who rejected her TWO years ago makes what MJ did not selfish.

You're just re-enforcing my point. She was only being with John because she couldn't have the guy she really wanted. "The next best thing" is not someone you don't love.

He did no such thing. After he quit being Spider-Man he could live a normal life and then went to her and offered her his love.

She was already engaged to John and everything by this point. If MJ had the slightest inkling she didn't love John and wanted Peter, which he obviously did especially after doing the upside down kiss on John and then going to meet Peter behind John's back, then she should have ended things with John then and there like any decent person would.

Two things:

1. Her heart didn't want John and she knew that
2. It doesn't give her license to use someone else to fill an emotional void she can't get over even after 2 years

Which she was clearly intending to do if she had not learned Peter was Spider-Man. I mean even after she learned Peter was Spider-Man she let the wedding proceed anyway, and of course had to wait until the last moment to run out on John and leave him a little card note.

Classy.

That doesn't alter or excuse her selfish behavior. You don't mis treat other people just because you have personal issues.

MJ is painted as some paragon of virtue in these movies. Some kind of wonderful girl who Peter can only hope to dream of having. Yet she is one of the most selfish people ever to grace a comic book movie.

She throws her feminine wiles around like ninja stars.

I agree with you, but I didn't see the need to believe that MJ was supposed to be the epithome of female virtue. I got that she had some selfishness and shallowness in her.

But for me the movies weren't as much about her being admirable but Peter being a complete idiot.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #53
Dragon
No Way as Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree with you, but I didn't see the need to believe that MJ was supposed to be the epithome of female virtue. I got that she had some selfishness and shallowness in her.

But for me the movies weren't as much about her being admirable but Peter being a complete idiot.
I'd actually have been okay if MJ were presented in the narrative as really being a flawed character, and Peter, being a guy who wants to save the world anyways, saw her as someone he wanted to save emotionally.

But the narrative doessn't do that. MJ is never made to own-up to her character flaws. For eample, in 3 she never apologizes to Peter for her betrayal of him (With Harry), even while blaming him for kissing Gwen. And her worst bettrayal was dumping him under Harry's orders; she had to have known that nothing that Harry could do to him physically could have hurt Peter as badly as her words. And even worse- her lack of faith in Peter after she'd seen him come through not just for her, but for others repeatedly. How she actually assumed that Harry on a flying skateboard could take Peter after she watched him triumph over Ock and the Goblin is pretty screwed-up.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #54
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I LOVE Raimi's series,no doubt. But I will admit that his handling of Mary Jane's character is one of the few major flaws of the trilogy. That doesn't means she was all bad. But when you look at some of her actions and decisions throughout the series it just boogles the mind as to why Peter should even want her.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #55
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Anybody have any new pics of Kristen from her new film?

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #56
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Boobs.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #58
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Lol

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #59
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Boobs.
Don't get me started, LOL, I'll post boob pics all day long.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

That's a good thing, lol.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #61
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

She's always been cute as a blonde,but I did like her alot with that red hair.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #62
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

You're welcome.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #63
Anno_Domini
Banned User

One of the dumbest things in the trilogy. Or should I say two?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #64
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I wonder if anyone even noticed that while editing and putting together the film? I bet you Sam did. If you looks at alot of the extras in the films,most of them are hot looking women. So,Sam had a thing for the ladies.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #65
Anno_Domini
Banned User

But those aren't even her ****ing own nipples. That's just stupidity.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
Troy_Parker
Banned User

...How do you know that? xD

Last edited by Troy_Parker; 02-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #67
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Nipples aren't that huge, lol. Well, they can be on some women, haha, but c'mon....and plus, you can see the lining of something under the shirt that has to be added "breasts" to make that look.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #68
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Eh, they could stick out like that. :P

But yeah, the lining thing is a giveaway.

EDIT: I'd rather discuss this than TASM Spidey's black crotch.

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #69
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

My arguement that "those" are in fact hers, she and Tobey have both said how cold that "rain" was and we all know what happens to a a female's "nips" when its freezing.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
But those aren't even her ****ing own nipples. That's just stupidity.
Whether they are or aren't hers...it doesn't bother me in the slightest

Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #71
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
Eh, they could stick out like that. :P

But yeah, the lining thing is a giveaway.

EDIT: I'd rather discuss this than TASM Spidey's black crotch.
Well, when it comes to straight men, of course fake nipples will be talked about more than crotches, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
My arguement that "those" are in fact hers, she and Tobey have both said how cold that "rain" was and we all know what happens to a a female's "nips" when its freezing.
You REALLY think those are real?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #72
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Dunst was fantastic in Melancholia. It's a shame the films never gave her a chance to be a more developed character. I would have liked MJ to become a more confident charismatic character in future films, and for her a Peter to start building a happy, healthy relationship. The rumours of another love triangle planned for 4 was saddening though.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #73
Anno_Domini
Banned User

She shouldn't have been so selfish in 3 as well. That right there showed that Raimi never cared about showing us a happy couple and just adding stupid ideas into the relationship. At least there was a moment where the couple seemed happy at the very end of Spider-Man 2. Even in the beginning of S-M 3, it felt too forced when they were all lovely towards eachother, but maybe that was just bad chemistry between TM and KD.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #74
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

MJ's best scene, IMO, from SM3 was her dinner scene with Harry. When they started dancing to some ol' rock n roll and making that omelette...it felt like a whole other movie had just started and I wish they would have taken off and left SM3 and never gone back.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #75
Dragon
No Way as Way

Quote:
Nipples aren't that huge, lol. Well, they can be on some women, haha, but c'mon....and plus, you can see the lining of something under the shirt that has to be added "breasts" to make that look.
Seriously? Dude, she's wearing a bra. You can see the shoulder straps. And nipples can poke through a bra if its soft enough. Especially if it's wet.

As for the size.. They come in as many different shapes and sizes as there are women.. They even change sizes..

Kung-Fu, 1972
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote