The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #101
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Default Re: The Kirsten Dunst/Mary Jane Watson Thread - Part 1

I liked her the most as MJ in SM1. But still, in SM2, she's now grown as a person and character in her career and has matured. To me, that's the MJ I like. Someone who has genuine problems while she's moving on with her life. Her story felt so real in SM2. She felt like a real person. Not just some fantastically hot super model.

And despite me liking Garfield and Stone, Maguire and Dunst's chemistry and relationship was much more interesting and sweet. I was really pulling for Peter to get with MJ. Here in ASM, I pretty much knew they would get together. She was attracted to him early on. MJ felt bad for Peter and thought he was a good guy, but didn't start to see the true man until later in the film, but he still always made her feel good about herself.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #102
Spider-Dude23
Go web! Flyy...

Kirsten dunst is a horrible actress. The only good outcome of her in spider-man was her wet nipples. Don't get me started on Tobey.

Spider-Dude23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #103
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

LOL at calling Kirsten Dunst a horrible actress. you probably didn't see her other films.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #104
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
LOL at calling Kirsten Dunst a horrible actress. you probably didn't see her other films.
I think he's refering to Dunst within the spider-movies. And he's right if that's the case.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #105
ALP
In The Mountains

By Spidey 3, I was just tired of Peter/MJ really... They were like some old nagging couple, always complaining. MJ especially was so wishy washy.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #106
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

The more i watch Raimi's Spider-Man, especially number 3, the more i hate MJ. What were they thinking making her this selfish, whiny brat? "Tell me how good i was again?" UGH! I know the Mj in the comics has daddy issues but she was a lot stronger emotionally than Dunst played her. Dunst's MJ seemed to jump into the arms, and bed, of any man who showed her affection.

The best scene in SM3 was after she was fired, she walks out of the theater, and ppl are applauding and she thinks it's of her, then she see's Spider-Man swing by and realizes they're applauding for him, lol!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #107
Rogue Kira
All Knowing Spidey-Fan

nice Johnathan Kent sig

Rogue Kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #108
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

I hate her in most of Spider-Man 2, like her in the other movies. Here's how I describe her in all movies

Spider-Man: "It's all about a girl"
  • She's in a bus, like Liz Allen, under Flash Thompson armpit, but nice to Petey when everyone else dislike him, except for Harry
  • Nice sweet girl next door, on their graduation day she ends her thing with Flash, Harry grabs it, but she's not really his girlfriend
  • Harry loves her, but she doesn't share his feelings, still thinking of Peter, but goes out with Harry still
  • Peter invites her for a cheeseburger a while after he knew Harry dates her, she would like to have some with him, but she's having dinner with Harry, and she says it with a smile
  • Then she goes to kiss Spider-Man, but thinks about Peter, Harry hates seeing those two grabbing hands in the hospital and ends it with her, but without words
  • In the end, she kisses Peter, but he says he can't be with her

What a t****, nice and smiling, kind to her neighbor, but that doesn't excuse her

Spider-Man 2:
  • She wants him, she looks at him wanting him, she looks at him like that in his birthday party, and Harry got over his anger of her two years later. But at that night, she tells Peter she's dating, whotta s***
  • Peter promises he will show up at her play, she's ecstatic, and nothing indicates he promised before, but his fortune is to miss the show, and her behavior is not for someone to give a second chance. Her mind is set, F.U Peter
  • Then he loses his powers, and finally sees her show, BIIIG giddy smile on her face.
  • Show's over, she talks nice until he invites her to dinner, she goes kablowyy and hate him again. Yeah, check the cheeseburger point in the first movie
  • "Peter you jerk, I won't invite you to my marriage of John we known about all this time, I'm marrying the guy I just knew this short while, but my upside kiss of him reminded me of my kiss with Spider-Man."
  • "Ok Peter, I thought of what you said, let's meet at a cafe and I want you to kiss me"
  • Spidey saves her, to stop Ock he shows him his true self, MJ sees it and says she always knew (well, the kiss kinda said something about it), they talk, John goes for her and huggy huggy
  • Runaway bride, leave your groom by the altar alone in his wedding day, just to be with the man you decided to treat like $#%^ more than half of the movie

I HATE THAT FEMALE K9 IN THIS MOVIE. SHE'S A TERRIBLE WOMAN

Spider-Man 3:
  • Music, she was fantastic to the audience as an actress talking, but as a singing actress she's dull. Alright, how about giving her normal roles? He voice doesn't go behind first row? How did she act in the previous movie? Weird
  • Happy with her boyfriend, has an ambitious dream regarding her career and her boyfriend satisfying her by being there. Not gonna happen lady
  • Her friend in the hospital, she's happy her boyfriend and their best friend are buddy buddy again, nice sentiment
  • One critic, one newspaper, that's all she sees, then she bursts to her boyfriends room in anger and talks, she lets out her steam, yeah she's annoying, and Peter tries to calm her down and ease her up, but she is too ticked to see it. Annoying, but human, still annoying. Then she calms down. (I see when people talk about her in this movie they only talk about this part, and she kissing Harry, ignoring everything else, and forgetting what a fragile whiny drama queen she is in the highly praise Spider-Man 2)
  • Fired from the show, she's disappointed, goes between a crowd and they applause as she stands between them, it raises her spirit, but only lasts for a second cause her coming that way at that time was luck as her costumed boyfriend passes, she's gloomy again cause she's fired. I know the feeling -minus having a girlfriend- first hand, know the disappointment of being discharged from where you work/study
  • Spider-Man celebration day, she wants to talk about her being discharged, but her boyfriend interrupts, although she smiles. Harry comes and talks, doesn't interrupt, eases her up
  • Spider-Man kisses the girl on stage in public, that pains MJ to see, but she just turns around and walks away a little. One more chip on her shoulder
  • That same day she goes to dinner she knows she'll have with Peter, walks calmly but is faced by the newspaper picture of Gwen kissing Spider-Man, it irks her, but still she goes to the restaurant
  • They start talking, she wants to spill her beans but still have dinner, Peter interrupts and talks like a happy dork, she's annoyed cause he refuses to listen, and is too proud of her to allow her to tell him what happened, but all she does is make her annoyed face
  • Enter Gwen, her being there at that time, talking with her polished finger nails on Peter's shoulder, one more annoying thing over what came before, such an unpleasant day, all this collects and then she talks in calm anger
  • Peter calls later, she answers after it's done, doesn't delete the message or look in anger
  • After what May tells MJ, the nice MJ goes to Peter to talk to him, but he's too deep into his feelings to listen, she doesn't exit with anger and F.U, she exits calmly with a good word of wisdom, true to MJ's character
  • After all these times Peter refusing to listen, she wants someone to listen after she was hired by the dance bar, so Harry was there, it serves the plot and doesn't add one more unneeded character
  • After a friendly chat, MJ kissed Harry. Not a right thing to do, so she apologizes and exists, not really into getting deeper into a relationship with Harry cheating on Peter, she leaves with an apology and Harry understands
  • Harry regaining his memories tells MJ to break up with Peter to get to him, she doesn't want to, and maybe doesn't want friend to fight again, but breaking up with Pete isn't her intention

Too much to list, but she's human, she's likable, she has her bad moments, moments with unlikable from him, but she's human, she's a decent human being

Nothing against how Kirsten performs as MJ, her performance is alright

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #109
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Her performance was terrible in Spider-Man 3 as well as the writing for MJ in that film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #110
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

She was a likable human in SM3 with moments being annoying, horrible whiny b**** in SM2. Still don't see how people see it the other way around
If her performance was bad in SM3, it means her performance is bad in all 3 movies, nothing changed from one movie to another when it comes to quality in the performance of the main 5

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #111
Anno_Domini
Banned User

A likable human? When was she likable in S-M 3? Apart from immediately thinking Peter was cheating on her with Gwen? Or saying "it's all about me" just because Peter was trying to make her look at the bright side of things when it comes to negative criticism?

And the same would be said for you. How could someone say she was fine in the first film, a ***** in the second and then likable in the third. That sounds too crazy than saying she was okay in the first two films and a total ***** in the third.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #112
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Are you paying attention? One thing on another pressing on her, she held it until Gwen came and was grabbing Peter
And did you see that I posted that and it's apparently the only thing people focus about her in this movie?

I said she was a t**** in the first film, the good thing about her is being nice to Peter

In Spider-Man 2 she's only likable in the first few minutes, most of the movie I feel like slapping her hard
And want to punch Peter for sticking to wanting her

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 09-22-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #113
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

MJ was by far at her worst in Spider-Man 3.

She tells Peter to tell her he loves her, and then never says it back to him when he does. She gets angry at him when he tries to reassure her about the bad review she gets. She throws him a hateful jealous look when she realizes the crowd outside her theater are clapping for Spidey and not her. She doesn't tell Peter she got fired and then gets all upset when she claims he doesn't understand how she feels.

She gets annoyed and jealous that he did the sacred upside down kiss with Gwen for a publicity stunt, but it's ok for her to use the kiss on John Jameson, and that was a private intimate kiss. Should Peter get annoyed every time she kisses a guy in a play?

She gives into Harry's pathetic threat and dumps Peter. Harry doesn't threaten her life, or Aunt May's or anyone else's. Just Peter's. She knows first hand Peter is more than able to deal with Harry since she's seen him take on Green Goblin and Doc Ock successfully. Instead of just telling Peter what Harry is doing she breaks Peter's heart instead. What's even worse is that Harry can still try and kill Peter after this anyway.

She kisses Harry when she's with Peter. She's finally with the guy she's supposed to love and she still ends up kissing another guy anyway.

Awful character in Spider-Man 3. The worst.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #114
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
MJ was by far at her worst in Spider-Man 3.

She tells Peter to tell her he loves her, and then never says it back to him when he does. She gets angry at him when he tries to reassure her about the bad review she gets. She throws him a hateful jealous look when she realizes the crowd outside her theater are clapping for Spidey and not her. She doesn't tell Peter she got fired and then gets all upset when she claims he doesn't understand how she feels.

She gets annoyed and jealous that he did the sacred upside down kiss with Gwen for a publicity stunt, but it's ok for her to use the kiss on John Jameson, and that was a private intimate kiss. Should Peter get annoyed every time she kisses a guy in a play?

She gives into Harry's pathetic threat and dumps Peter. Harry doesn't threaten her life, or Aunt May's or anyone else's. Just Peter's. She knows first hand Peter is more than able to deal with Harry since she's seen him take on Green Goblin and Doc Ock successfully. Instead of just telling Peter what Harry is doing she breaks Peter's heart instead. What's even worse is that Harry can still try and kill Peter after this anyway.

She kisses Harry when she's with Peter. She's finally with the guy she's supposed to love and she still ends up kissing another guy anyway.

Awful character in Spider-Man 3. The worst.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #115
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

She was her best in Spider-Man 3, nice character

I said she has annoying moments, but she's human, that's human, not saying her not saying it back "I love" was bad, and I already mentioned the bad review scene. Crowd applauding is something raising her spirits, she just got fired, then the moment of happiness jumps out by a kick of reality. Whenever she tries to tell Peter she got fired he interrupted her and praised her, how can she not be annoyed? And it's not far to see some people forget to say what they want when they're so ticked, that's human, that's possible to relate to

The upside kiss with John was her engaged, she kissed her fiance. Spider-Man on stage got kissed by a girl from class when he was dating MJ, big difference. And in answer to that question, yes he should be annoyed every time she kisses a guy in a play, acting doesn't make it alright

She was threatened, by her friend, by a friend of both Peter & MJ, and it's not far to assume she doesn't want friends to fight each other, in the hospital she was chipper seeing Harry happy to have both visit him in the hospital, she was torn

Again, she went to Harry cause he listened to her, and she backed out after that kiss, it was unplanned, unintended for either her or Harry

If she was a bad character she wouldn't try to talk to Peter after he heard about his uncle's true killer, her exit was calm and warm, not angry and annoyed
And Peter almost humiliated her at work, instead of being pissy and asking for Peter to be thrown out she went to a corner and bottled it up, he slapped her and she wasn't at all like her SPIDER-MAN 2 version

Decent character in Spider-Man 3, easily the best, and it came directly after the worst depiction of her

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #116
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post

Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #117
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Are you paying attention? One thing on another pressing on her, she held it until Gwen came and was grabbing Peter
And did you see that I posted that and it's apparently the only thing people focus about her in this movie?

I said she was a t**** in the first film, the good thing about her is being nice to Peter

In Spider-Man 2 she's only likable in the first few minutes, most of the movie I feel like slapping her hard
And want to punch Peter for sticking to wanting her
She didn't hold unto anything on her own. She kept whining and whining over something that wasn't there such as Peter cheating with Gwen. And to make such a big deal of Peter "supposedly" cheating she ends up kissing Harry. For someone that walks out on a wedding to be with someone she "loves" she really showed it by such moving unto another guy. Peter Parker is someone the audience really felt she actually loved. Not Flash, not Harry and not Jameson's son. It was supposed to be Peter and Mary Jane kissed Harry as SHE became the one that actually cheated. Her kiss with Harry meant something; Spidey's kiss with Gwen meant nothing, zilch.

Quote:

I said she has annoying moments, but she's human, that's human, not saying her not saying it back "I love" was bad, and I already mentioned the bad review scene. Crowd applauding is something raising her spirits, she just got fired, then the moment of happiness jumps out by a kick of reality. Whenever she tries to tell Peter she got fired he interrupted her and praised her, how can she not be annoyed? And it's not far to see some people forget to say what they want when they're so ticked, that's human, that's possible to relate to

The upside kiss with John was her engaged, she kissed her fiance. Spider-Man on stage got kissed by a girl from class when he was dating MJ, big difference. And in answer to that question, yes he should be annoyed every time she kisses a guy in a play, acting doesn't make it alright

She was threatened, by her friend, by a friend of both Peter & MJ, and it's not far to assume she doesn't want friends to fight each other, in the hospital she was chipper seeing Harry happy to have both visit him in the hospital, she was torn

Again, she went to Harry cause he listened to her, and she backed out after that kiss, it was unplanned, unintended for either her or Harry

If she was a bad character she wouldn't try to talk to Peter after he heard about his uncle's true killer, her exit was calm and warm, not angry and annoyed
And Peter almost humiliated her at work, instead of being pissy and asking for Peter to be thrown out she went to a corner and bottled it up, he slapped her and she wasn't at all like her SPIDER-MAN 2 version

Decent character in Spider-Man 3, easily the best, and it came directly after the worst depiction of her

Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #118
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

You're still viewing it in light of "great movie, great love interest" and "bad movie, bad love interest"
It's a constant in the equation you keep up with

Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #119
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeld932 View Post
Kirsten dunst is a horrible actress. The only good outcome of her in spider-man was her wet nipples. Don't get me started on Tobey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I think that was the issue with Dunst. She is a very capable actress but she only seemed to save her acting chops for other movies. Maybe it was the writing in trilogy, maybe the direction, but the actor/actress still has to bring their A-game to the movie. I never really had a dislike for Dunst, I thought she had good chemistry on screen with Tobey, but it was obvious that she saved her best work for other films.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #120
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
You're still viewing it in light of "great movie, great love interest" and "bad movie, bad love interest"
It's a constant in the equation you keep up with
Because it's just that. An awful movie makes an awful love interest and every character had a terrible arc in Spider-Man 3 from Peter taking a few steps back from what he learned in the last two movies to MJ finally being with the one she loved and taking a step back into being the selfish girl she was and even moreso.

There has never been a great film with a bad love interest. Always a bad film with a bad love interest. Green Lantern, Spider-Man 3, Superman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #121
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Batman & Robin

This one had a love interest? Poison Ivy shouldn't count

Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #122
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Julie Madison

Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #123
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Don't remember her a bit, I think. She made an appearance out of those few seconds at Bruce's home? If she's the one?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #124
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Bruce's girlfriend who wanted to marry Bruce but he didn't want to. Yep, that's her.

But what I say still stands. Awful love interests in awful movies.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #125
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Sandman was a more likable and selfless character than her and he was a villain.

Quote:
I said she has annoying moments, but she's human, that's human, not saying her not saying it back "I love" was bad, and I already mentioned the bad review scene.
Guess what? Humans can be mean, selfish, annoying, ignorant people. MJ in Spider-Man 3 was.

Quote:
Crowd applauding is something raising her spirits, she just got fired, then the moment of happiness jumps out by a kick of reality.
She didn't have to throw Spider-Man a dirty look like the crowd was just clapping Justin Beiber or something as he walked by. It was the man who saved her life many times and supposedly the man she loves. I don't care how upset she was over losing a JOB. She was a cow for throwing such an ugly glare at Spidey like he was dirt who didn't deserve that applause.

Quote:
Whenever she tries to tell Peter she got fired he interrupted her and praised her, how can she not be annoyed?
She tried to tell him ONCE. At dinner. That's it. She had a million chances to pick up the phone or send him a text message. Anything. He made the effort and kept trying to call her. It takes Peter finding out that his Uncle's killer is still at large to make her stop pouting and get her ass over to his place to talk to him.

Quote:
The upside kiss with John was her engaged, she kissed her fiance. Spider-Man on stage got kissed by a girl from class when he was dating MJ, big difference.
What's the big difference? If this kiss was as special as she was making out then she wouldn't be using it on anyone. And we know she did not love John. She was just using him. So her kiss with John was as meaningless as the one Peter had with Gwen. In fact hers was worse because she was toying with the emotions of a guy who she was engaged to and supposed to love. Then she has the gall to get on her high horse about Peter using it on Gwen in a meaningless publicity stunt.

Look up the word hypocrite in the dictionary and you see a pic of Dunst's MJ.

Quote:
And in answer to that question, yes he should be annoyed every time she kisses a guy in a play, acting doesn't make it alright
LOL you aren't serious? Actors do it all the time. You don't hear of their spouses and partners getting in a hissy fit over it. It's acting. It doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
She doesn't want to see friends fighting? But she wants to break Peter's heart and dump him because his "friend" threatened to kill his buddy Peter if she didn't.

Yeah, now there's a friendship worth saving. I can totally see why MJ did it now. I wouldn't want Peter to lose a friend who threatens to kill him and wants to make him lose the love of his life. No way. That's a buddy who you want to have for life. Peter is clearly lucky to have a friend like that.

Way to go, MJ, for preserving that friendship.

Quote:
]Again, she went to Harry cause he listened to her, and she backed out after that kiss, it was unplanned, unintended for either her or Harry
Unintended or not it happened. They were not drunk, or emotionally crying, or anything like that. They were sitting there talking. She starts stroking his forehead and then lays a kiss on him.

It doesn't take much to make MJ lock lips with another guy. With peter's best friend of all people. Classy.

Quote:
Oh what a saint. She makes herself available to talk after he finds out his Uncle's killer is still alive. Give the girl a medal for showing a shred of human decency.

Quote:
And Peter almost humiliated her at work, instead of being pissy and asking for Peter to be thrown out she went to a corner and bottled it up
She can't ask for him to be thrown out because he wowed the whole club with a dance that everyone loved lol.

Quote:
she wasn't at all like her SPIDER-MAN 2 version
No, that version was better. At least when she got annoyed at Peter it was because he kept letting her down by breaking his promises.

Quote:
Not even close to being the best.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote