The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #126
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Default Re: The Kirsten Dunst/Mary Jane Watson Thread - Part 1

Two important things:
1. Breaking a promise to do something trivial, we excuse you MJ for doing that, Peter sucks for breaking his promise to you just once on something so trivial. Then she breaks her promise to JJ, and she promised something big and lasts a life time, but she's excused for leaving John to be with the man she wants to be with? And it's ignored how she says nothing but her play to say "Peter, you're an empty seat. I cannot be reasonable like the MTV cartoon MJ with the play"
2. The festival, MJ tried to tell him at the festival about getting fired

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #127
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Two important things:
1. Breaking a promise to do something trivial, we excuse you MJ for doing that, Peter sucks for breaking his promise to you just once on something so trivial. Then she breaks her promise to JJ, and she promised something big and lasts a life time, but she's excused for leaving John to be with the man she wants to be with?
Nobody excuses her behavior with John Jameson. She's a total biotch for doing that. However she didn't love John. Not saying that excuses her behavior, but the fact she treats Peter worse in Spider-Man 3, and she's supposed to love him and want to be with him, makes her even worse in Spider-Man 3 than she ever was in 2.

Quote:
No she didn't. She told Peter she was fine when he asked if she was ok, agreed with him that they would be laughing about the review. That was it. Where did she attempt to tell him?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #128
The Slang
Side-Kick

What seems important to me is that in Spider-man 2, Parker never clearly expressed his desire to be with MJ. To the contrary, he had clearly stated that they should be friends and that he doesn't love her.
With such indecisiveness and hesitation to act on Parker's part, it would make no sense for MJ to wait around for someone who -for all she knows- could be gay or something. So I think it was perfectly acceptable for her to pursue other relationships, although she was a ***** for leading on Jameson and accepting his proposal.

Now for me, what made her behavior so appalling in the third movie, was the fact that her primary motivation seemed to be jealousy. She actually envied, resented and even lashed out at the guy she supposedly loves, all because by selflessly saving lives he had become more popular than her.
Right at the beginning she expresses her self-centered desire for fame, to be on stage her whole life with Peter sitting in awe of her 'in the first row'. She's with a guy who risks his life for strangers, who blindly worships and adores her, yet she punishes him, pushes him away and kisses his 'best friend' all because she's jealous of the attention he gets from the public for helping people!

The Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #129
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slang View Post
What seems important to me is that in Spider-man 2, Parker never clearly expressed his desire to be with MJ. To the contrary, he had clearly stated that they should be friends and that he doesn't love her.
With such indecisiveness and hesitation to act on Parker's part, it would make no sense for MJ to wait around for someone who -for all she knows- could be gay or something. So I think it was perfectly acceptable for her to pursue other relationships, although she was a ***** for leading on Jameson and accepting his proposal.

Now for me, what made her behavior so appalling in the third movie, was the fact that her primary motivation seemed to be jealousy. She actually envied, resented and even lashed out at the guy she supposedly loves, all because by selflessly saving lives he had become more popular than her.
Right at the beginning she expresses her self-centered desire for fame, to be on stage her whole life with Peter sitting in awe of her 'in the first row'. She's with a guy who risks his life for strangers, who blindly worships and adores her, yet she punishes him, pushes him away and kisses his 'best friend' all because she's jealous of the attention he gets from the public for helping people!
Nicely summed up her behavior in SM 3, but she made no attempt to understand Peter in SM 2 either or show a bit of sympathy towards him, she was as much self centered in SM 2.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #130
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Two important things:
1. Breaking a promise to do something trivial, we excuse you MJ for doing that, Peter sucks for breaking his promise to you just once on something so trivial. Then she breaks her promise to JJ, and she promised something big and lasts a life time, but she's excused for leaving John to be with the man she wants to be with? And it's ignored how she says nothing but her play to say "Peter, you're an empty seat. I cannot be reasonable like the MTV cartoon MJ with the play"
1. She didn't truly love John Jameson. Yes, it's a *****y move to walk out of a wedding, but she only moved on because she was never going to be with Peter Parker, or so she thought. And it's at least better to walk out of a wedding than walking out of a marriage period.

2. She didn't try hard enough, now did she? Stammering and then deciding to open up to Harry instead.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #131
The Slang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Nicely summed up her behavior in SM 3, but she made no attempt to understand Peter in SM 2 either or show a bit of sympathy towards him, she was as much self centered in SM 2.
I don't agree. Remember that the first movie ended with MJ saying she loves Parker, and he basically rejects her. This continues into SM2 with Parker refusing to admit his feelings because he is Spider-man. MJ doesn't know he's Spider-man, so from her perspective it could only seem like he wasn't all that interested, or not willing to act, despite the chances she gives him to express himself.

She was more than patient enough for Parker to express himself. The only person she wronged was Jameson. She shouldn't have allowed things to get so serious with him, when part of her was still waiting for Parker to grow some balls.

The Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #132
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slang View Post
I don't agree. Remember that the first movie ended with MJ saying she loves Parker, and he basically rejects her. This continues into SM2 with Parker refusing to admit his feelings because he is Spider-man. MJ doesn't know he's Spider-man, so from her perspective it could only seem like he wasn't all that interested, or not willing to act, despite the chances she gives him to express himself.

She was more than patient enough for Parker to express himself. The only person she wronged was Jameson. She shouldn't have allowed things to get so serious with him, when part of her was still waiting for Parker to grow some balls.
Exactly.

- The Joker
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #133
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Well let's not forget that MJ always suspected Pete to be Spider-Man -- in SM2 she acted the way any other girl would in such a position, and even said it was her choice to make to face those dangers. SO she didn't love Jameson what'd she do marry him anyway? It's true she shouldn't have led him on so far but she did make a choice.

She even went and asked Pete out on that date when Ock crashed it. MJ did take the steps to get to know Peter better, she had to -- she was dealing with Spider-Man, and she always suspected it.

Thing is, it happened, the characters were actually fleshed-out. Even Pete not telling Harry about his father was to honour the "don't tell harry" bit from the end. Pete shouldn't have pushed people away but what else was he supposed to do after what happened with the Goblin?

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #134
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

MJ was self absorbed, whiny, over-emotional and seemed to put herself over others in relationships. Kirsten Dunst didn't look anyhting like Mary Jane either. Despite that, I still think Mary Jane's heart was in the right place, she was clearly sensitive. Sensitive, most of all to being neglected since we can only assume she was either neglected or abused her entire life growing up. I think she was a highly flawed character, but I think Kirsten could have given a little more life in her lines and given MJ a little more spice rather than non-stop depression and misery which is what we got in SM2 & 3. She literally sucked the life out of every scene she was in. Which is the oppisite of Mary Jane in the comics.

She was cute looking in the role and I like Kirsten as an actress alot, but it is so obvious she hated playing the role in the last two movies.

WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #135
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post

She was cute looking in the role and I like Kirsten as an actress alot, but it is so obvious she hated playing the role in the last two movies.

I really like Kirsten too,but you're right. You could tell her heart wasn't really into the role,esp. for part 3. Even watching alot of interviews she did for 2 and 3,you can just see how tired she is of talking about the films. Of course,all she really did over the course of the 3 films is scream and get kidnapped. I'm sure that,as an actress,that gets old...really quickly.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #136
TMC1982
Side-Kick

What the Hell Happened to Kirsten Dunst?

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #137
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Nobody excuses her behavior with John Jameson. She's a total biotch for doing that. However she didn't love John. Not saying that excuses her behavior, but the fact she treats Peter worse in Spider-Man 3, and she's supposed to love him and want to be with him, makes her even worse in Spider-Man 3 than she ever was in 2.

No she didn't. She told Peter she was fine when he asked if she was ok, agreed with him that they would be laughing about the review. That was it. Where did she attempt to tell him?
I liked that she was kinda passive aggressive in part 3, it felt like they were in a real relationship, not some fairy tale.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #138
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

^ Exactly.If a relationship had been written like that in TDK series,there would be no end to the praise of such a "revolutionary" move.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #139
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

There was no relationship in the TDK series. Bruce and Rachel never became an item. If the Peter/MJ relationship had been written like the good comic book movie relationships like Tony and Pepper, for example, which had friction in it, but not unreasonable selfish *****y friction that made Pepper look like a shallow two faced cow who used people, then it would get praise.

But it doesn't.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 08-11-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #140
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

One of the results of the Raimi films is that they made me hate the character MJ, thanks to the casting of Dunst and terrible scripting.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #141
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
There was no relationship in the TDK series. Bruce and Rachel never became an item. If the Peter/MJ relationship had been written like the good comic book movie relationships like Tony and Pepper, for example, which had friction in it, but not unreasonable selfish *****y friction that made Pepper look like a shallow two faced cow who used people, then it would get praise.

But it doesn't.
Have you ever been in a relationship with a woman? More often then not, they tend to be like Pete and MJ, rather than Tony and Pepper.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #142
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Have you ever been in a relationship with a woman? More often then not, they tend to be like Pete and MJ, rather than Tony and Pepper.
Several. The only time they're like Peter and MJ is when one of them is as horrible and selfish as MJ was.

- The Joker
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #143
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I don't think MJ was ever horrendously bad in any moment for me, but the series always focused on the problems in their relationship and never gave us a sight of why these two worked. Throughout 3 films, there's barely any instances of them being happy together.

I don't blame Dunst. She's done a good job of being MJ in other films. It's all in the scripting and direction. She needed more zest.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #144
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I wanted MJ to jump off a bridge in the Rami films.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote