The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Default How would you incorporate the X-Men into the MCU?

Having the X-Men in the MCU would be amazing, but it may be difficult to explain their absence in earlier films. How would you introduce the team without contradicting the current MCU timeline?

A character like Magneto really causes issues, because he would have to be at least 80 years old and it's hard to believe that he wouldn't have gone public with his abilities by now

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: How would you incorporate the X-Men into the MCU?

Magneto's backstory is becoming a major problem, regardless of who has the rights. It is getting close to the point where he simply cannot exist as is in the present without giving him some sort of immortality/suspended animation gimmick. His backstory is so tied into who the character is, it is difficult to update it as well. Tony Stark can be a hostage in any number of modern wars, but the Holocaust is something that hasn't been repeated since, at least not in that manner and scale.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Maybe they could explain he has decelerated aging? I would be fine with that

Old 07-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Maybe they could explain he has decelerated aging? I would be fine with that
Yeah, they did that with Shaw and Mystique. There would need to be something though, because a Holocaust victim who ages normally fighting superheroes in the 2020s is just going to be ridiculous otherwise.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Zarex
Side-Kick

After six films featuring the character I doubt Marvel would go back to the Magneto well if they were able to land the X-Men character rights. Put the old guy to rest and have Polaris as his magnetically evil successor. Maybe resurrect Erik for a period piece.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
After six films featuring the character I doubt Marvel would go back to the Magneto well if they were able to land the X-Men character rights. Put the old guy to rest and have Polaris as his magnetically evil successor. Maybe resurrect Erik for a period piece.
I don't agree even a little bit.

Doom and Magneto are Marvels top two villains, you can bet your ass that Marvel would gladly tackle both if they acquire the rights

Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I would start at the beginning, having Xavier band together 5 teenagers who got powers naturally, no terrigen mists, no super-science. In the wake of Civil War, intense scrutiny follows anyone who exhibits special powers, especially with no explanation or government involvement, so Xavier creates a safe place for his students to come and learn to control those powers.

Magneto would feel jealousy and superiority towards those who were artificially given their powers, not understanding why the world views Iron Man and the Avengers as near gods, while persecuting anyone with powers who wasn't gifted with money or fame or impractically good looks. Thus, he decides to seize control of abandoned SHIELD tech, namely the three insight helicarriers at the bottom of the Potomac. He raises them to create Asteroid M/Avalon, and turn it's weapons against humanity.

But luckily for the world, Xavier learns of his plan, and sends his newly christened X-Men to shut the despot down and protect those who hate and fear them.

Then, the sequel stars Cyclops and the Giant Size X-Men, searching for the other original X-Men after they disappear while looking into a mysterious Cerebro signal, where they discover the Mad Scientist Sinister and his Living Island.

or ya know, somethin like that

Last edited by BoredGuy; 07-06-2016 at 02:46 PM.
BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Random490
Side-Kick

I would set it up as mutants have existed for centuries in very small numbers. They make up such a small percentage of the population that they never been notices as a specific genetic mutation. Professor X, Magneto, and Hank McCoy were among the first to discover a common link to their abilities and the existence of other mutants. So let's just say in the present one million people in the world are mutants, less than 2% of the world's population. Of that million, only 10,000 has identifiable mutant traits or powers. The rest only have mutations like and extra bone, tougher skin, odd color eyes but for the most part just like anyone else. The 10,000 spread around the world would be the heroes and villain of X-men. People with extraordinary powers or strange looking bodies.

The world/governments/shield have encountered mutants before but always believe each one was the result of an individual situation. For example, Scorcher from season one on AoS. They said his powers could have been the result of a nuclear power plant burning down when he was an infant. They never considered it was a natural occurrence. Which is what makes mutant more terrifying to the public than Inhumans or anyone else could just almost spontaneously with no warning signs, get dangerous powers.

Knowing how the world will perceive them Xavier and Hank sets up Xavier's school to give young mutants a place they can grow and be accepted. Most of the students and faculty are mutants, some are humans. Those are family members and close friends of mutants. Kind of becomes it's own safe paradise. I like the idea of Nick Fury learning about it and agreeing to keep it secret.

My pseudo science behind mutation is that everyone has the X-gene but it lies dormant in most people, mutation occurs when it become active. Inhumans are artificially force mutations, a genetic code inserted to activate the X-genes using terrigan as a catalyst.

The plot of the first movie would be mutants becoming public knowledge and there will be more focused on the world's reaction. There previous movies really stayed more with the mutant's perspective, but I'd like to see more varied perspectives, people who are for and against. People who are reasonable and people who are ignorant. feels like we only get a small look in the previous films. Plus with an established world like the MCU it opens a lot more possibilities.

As for Magneto's age I would have to drop the holocaust backstory. As interesting as that story is to his character, I'd rather have a younger Magneto a it's getting too unbelievable to have him be a holocaust survivor. I would have him be descendant of a holocaust survivor and has had first hand experience with antisemitism. It's something he is very aware of. But I also don't want these movies to retread the same ground. Previous films have covered he character really well. I'd rather exposition go towards new characters. Or characters that haven't quite shined in previous films.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

that's not a bad way to go either
Only thing I disagree with is things that might seem too similar to the Fox-made films.... so no Beast as a contemporary to Xavier, and I think the school should be kept small at first, just the O5, no gigantic background cast of nameless mutants

Old 07-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Darth_Spock
Side-Kick

Better Character Development!

Nobody cared about 90% of the MCU's lineup until Marvel made them relevant. So if anyone can make Scott and Jean as fun as say Cap and Black Widow are it's Marvel. Give the Charles/Eric Bromance a break, give Mystique her true role (eventually) and don't over do Wolverine! Other than that I'd say trying visits things in X-men lore that haven't already been tackled countless times already, unless it's so good that it makes the old stuff forgettable.

Last edited by Darth_Spock; 07-06-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Darth_Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Chris B
Side-Kick

I'd probably have the general public becoming aware of the existence of mutants and the subsequent fallout from that be the central plot point. My ideal team line-up would be Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler, and if there was room, Colossus as well. Kitty Pryde would serve as the audience surrogate. I'm not sure who I'd pick as the villain, but I agree that Magneto would need a rest. Trask and the Sentinels would be a good fit for what I'm thinking plot wise, though that's already been done obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Magneto's backstory is becoming a major problem, regardless of who has the rights. It is getting close to the point where he simply cannot exist as is in the present without giving him some sort of immortality/suspended animation gimmick. His backstory is so tied into who the character is, it is difficult to update it as well. Tony Stark can be a hostage in any number of modern wars, but the Holocaust is something that hasn't been repeated since, at least not in that manner and scale.
I think they could probably pull off updating it to a genocide more recent and still preserve the basis for his character. I agree that it would be tricky and that you may be losing something, but I'm not sure that the immortality/suspended animation idea is preferable.

Personally, I was intrigued by the suggestion of changing it to the Cambodian Genocide that someone made in a similar thread awhile back. In which case I wouldn't wind seeing someone like Andy Lau in the role.

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I do think Wolverine should be the lead. He's the most popular X-Man for a reason. He just shouldn't be the total and complete focus at the expense of everything and everybody else. I would have faith in Marvel to get that as they have (so far) been able to resist making every film the Iron Man Show.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I think they could probably pull off updating it to a genocide more recent and still preserve the basis for his character. I agree that it would be tricky and that you may be losing something, but I'm not sure that the immortality/suspended animation idea is preferable.

Personally, I was intrigued by the suggestion of changing it to the Cambodian Genocide that someone made in a similar thread awhile back. In which case I wouldn't wind seeing someone like Andy Lau in the role.
That's an option, but it kind of lacks the 'oomph' of the Nazis and Holocaust, especially to western audiences.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

I feel like you can't do away with Magneto's Holocaust origins. If they're going to do that, they need to just leave his origin a mystery completely

Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #15
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Maybe you can have him gain long life as a result of Hydra experimenting on him during the war.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

You could take a really interesting paranoia aspect with the X-Men too. Everyone says that the prejudice against mutants wouldn't work in the MCU, but I think it could. These aren't people getting powers voluntarily or in accidents, or people who originate from other worlds. These are ordinary people who suddenly one day have their x-gene activate and change them forever. That's kinda a scary prospect - anyone could change at any time, and dependant on their powers, it could have devastating conseqeunces. Someone mutates to develop explosive powers, detonates upon mutation, leaves dozens dead. The idea that anyone could do that would be pretty scary. Imagine the paranoia there would be. Demands for a cure.

I think you'd absolutely have to play up that angle if you brought mutants into the MCU. They can't control mutants, so there would obviously be a fear of them. Professor X would then use Cerebro to find mutants and bring them to his school where they can be safe from the world. I think it could work.

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Good call, batsdc. You just shot down one of the main arguments against MCU X-Men.

The prejudice can still totally be there, like you said.

And perhaps Magneto has been fairly peaceful and under the radar until recently. Something big would have to happen in order for him to suddenly come out of the woodwork

Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
PeggyCarter

So they give Pietro his own movie and it turns out he's just in hiding and he goes on an adventure and somehow ends up in the brotherhood of evil mutants and then magneto comes out and just says "Pietro, I am your father"

PeggyCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
NealKenneth
Banned User

I think it would work best to start with Xavier and five or so students and the antagonist should be The Juggernaut. Before this, they could be teased with a Wolverine vs Hulk fight in a separate film (Black Panther 2 or something like that.)

It would also be interesting have them start out on the poorer end of things, like not having a mansion or fighter jet/danger room already.

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe you can have him gain long life as a result of Hydra experimenting on him during the war.
I could see that possibly working. Perhaps that could involve some form of the Infinity Formula, which in the MCU could be explained as being derived from the Super Soldier Serum.

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #21
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I feel like you can't do away with Magneto's Holocaust origins. If they're going to do that, they need to just leave his origin a mystery completely
Either way that kind of ruins the character. His origin and motivations are what make him so compelling.

Another reason not to be so hyped about this fan idea.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
that's not a bad way to go either
Only thing I disagree with is things that might seem too similar to the Fox-made films.... so no Beast as a contemporary to Xavier, and I think the school should be kept small at first, just the O5, no gigantic background cast of nameless mutants
The original five are kind of bland. Hence why the series got canceled. Also, for a franchise infamous for preaching diversity that would be awfully white bread.

If this had to happen, honestly the "new mutants" at the end of Apocalypse, plus Colossus, Gambit, Wolverine, and maybe Rogue (and minus Mystique) would be the ideal lineup.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #23
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
You could take a really interesting paranoia aspect with the X-Men too. Everyone says that the prejudice against mutants wouldn't work in the MCU, but I think it could. These aren't people getting powers voluntarily or in accidents, or people who originate from other worlds. These are ordinary people who suddenly one day have their x-gene activate and change them forever. That's kinda a scary prospect - anyone could change at any time, and dependant on their powers, it could have devastating conseqeunces. Someone mutates to develop explosive powers, detonates upon mutation, leaves dozens dead. The idea that anyone could do that would be pretty scary. Imagine the paranoia there would be. Demands for a cure.

I think you'd absolutely have to play up that angle if you brought mutants into the MCU. They can't control mutants, so there would obviously be a fear of them. Professor X would then use Cerebro to find mutants and bring them to his school where they can be safe from the world. I think it could work.

Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #24
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Either way that kind of ruins the character. His origin and motivations are what make him so compelling.

Another reason not to be so hyped about this fan idea.
What would your suggestion be? This goes beyond whether Fox or Marvel has the rights to the character. That doesn't matter. World War 2 ended over 70 years ago. In another decade it would simply be impossible for him to exist in the present without some sort of explanation. He would have to be in his 90s at that point.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #25
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Quote:
I would be totally down for this

I'm sure he's been suggested before but Liam Neeson would be awesome as MCU Magneto