The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
KappeiJin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 201
Default How long can Clark hide his identity?

I mean... at the end of the movie he became the famous eyeglassed clark. Now i must assume that nobody seen kal's face, except for few people like the family at the end or the soldiers, then for now it's fine.

But how long could stand this scenario? It's 2013, everywhere you go you can find someone who can catch you on a camera. The net can spread everywhere your image in few seconds.

Byrne's version made Supes uncatchable and not available to be taken on shot... will Goyer follow the same idea in the sequel? I'm afraid this could lead to a dead end. Come on, the world will discover soon Supes as a symbol of heroism and peace, then situations like "come to visit this school" (as can happen for a president...) will be unavoidable.

What do you think?

__________________
- "Oswald, the game is over. We'll back to Gotham together"
- "Oh please, can i introduce you the commissioner of this city?"
The commissioner stands up with a large smile and holds out his hand to Bats.
Bats crushes him violently on the floor.
KappeiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

As long as the writer want it?

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
KappeiJin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 201
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Yeah, uhm... just in case you didn't know... a writer must manage some *reasonable* situations... and the clark identity issue is one of them...

__________________
- "Oswald, the game is over. We'll back to Gotham together"
- "Oh please, can i introduce you the commissioner of this city?"
The commissioner stands up with a large smile and holds out his hand to Bats.
Bats crushes him violently on the floor.
KappeiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

A personal hand phone is a necessity in today modern world. Have u seen any of the superheroes carry one?

It's a movie.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Sup3rman81
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 551
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

He can always just rotate the earth a few times to wipe the slate clean. Everyone seems to love when he did that lame a$$ move so why not do it here. Then he can reclaim his dignity for his actions against ZOD and we wont have anymore nit picking. It will be MOS2: the prequel. No seriously I think its always up to the writers. Writers have made decisions in movies and comics that people never agree with but it always works itself out

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.
 
MrMaooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MI6 Headquarters
Posts: 16,562
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?


__________________
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
KappeiJin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 201
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
He can always just rotate the earth a few times to wipe the slate clean. Everyone seems to love when he did that lame a$$ move so why not do it here. Then he can reclaim his dignity for his actions against ZOD and we wont have anymore nit picking. It will be MOS2: the prequel.
Touchè.
That made my day.

__________________
- "Oswald, the game is over. We'll back to Gotham together"
- "Oh please, can i introduce you the commissioner of this city?"
The commissioner stands up with a large smile and holds out his hand to Bats.
Bats crushes him violently on the floor.
KappeiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,535
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

They could just present Clark in the glasses and have no real 'explanation'. The filmmakers say to the audience, yep, his whole disguise is a pair of black glasses, love it or leave. Just roll with it, and for all intents and purposes there exists a 'disguise'.

Or they could have the subtext that most people know, ala Lois, but don't ever say anything aloud, and are happy/honoured to have Superman around amongst them.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 13,799
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

If there is collusion by the U.S. government then, yes it could be forever. As Bishop 6 (his call sign in New Frontier) he is an invaluable resource for the government. To those that think this inevitably leads to the "Superman is a lap dog of the government" crap from DKR, remember he said he would help on his own terms. Plus it's a Reese moment times a billion. We know Batman doesn't kill, but Reese couldn't know how he'd react, and Morgan Freeman set him straight. PERRY WHITE: (To government agent)"Let me see if I have this clear. You believe that my employee, one of the most respected journalists in media is secretly an alien of god like power who is bullet proof, fire proof and can bend steel with his bare hands. And you're plan is to try and blackmail this person into servitude? (snickers) Good luck. "

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

This all depends on the writers really, now if they were to end this as a trilogy I could maybe seeing the secret coming out worldwide but with DCs plans for JL I don't see that happening.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,881
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

How would anybody even guess clark is superman? Would people just assume superman wears contacts when he's in costume?

Pretty sure his heat vision would mess them up.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

I think the thing people need to realise is I doubt people would even think Superman had a secret identity outside if those already in the know

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,803
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think the thing people need to realise is I doubt people would even think Superman had a secret identity outside if those already in the know
that and the fact that MOS didn't really establish Superman having his head shot taken and distributed for the public to see so the folks that have gotten that rare chance to see his face while he was doing something super heroic are folks that will likely never see him as "Clark Kent', or that they never knew he was Clark Kent from the beginning (having gone under an different alias like Joe), or they'll just keep it a secret as a sign of trust and respect towards him.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,874
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

I think the secret identity in MoS is something unique to superhero movies and even to an extent comic books in general.

Lois definitely knows Clark's identity. Almost the entire town of Smallville knows. General Swanwick (and thusly probably the majority of the US government) most likely knows. Emil Hamilton and Perry White are in the "could find out if they were so inclined" category.

Most of the world could do a little research and likely find out what odd things have happened in Smallville, Kansas in the past 50 years. Which would inevitably lead them to the name Kent. But it seems like the people of the world in MoS want to trust Superman and don't care to know his secret identity.

I think its very interesting.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Almost the entire town of Smallville knows. General Swanwick (and thusly probably the majority of the US government) most likely knows. Emil Hamilton and Perry White are in the "could find out if they were so inclined" category.

Most of the world could do a little research and likely find out what odd things have happened in Smallville, Kansas in the past 50 years. Which would inevitably lead them to the name Kent. But it seems like the people of the world in MoS want to trust Superman and don't care to know his secret identity.

I think its very interesting.
How do they know?

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,874
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
How do they know?
Really? "I'm from Kansas." Zod destroyed Smallville. Smallville probably has a newspaper. Clark was involved in a mysterious school bus miracle as a kid.

Same way Lois knows. It's really freaking obvious. And to me, it's more believable that the world knows and doesn't say anything (just like lois) than the world doesn't know and has no way of finding out.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Reel
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fortress of Solitude, England
Posts: 457
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

People are assuming too much here.

The only people that know 'Superman' and 'Clark Kent' are the same person are as follows:
Martha Kent
Lois Lane
Pete Ross
Lana Lang
Whitney Fordham
Possibly Smallville Police Officer who drove Lois to Kent Farm

Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #18
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,803
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel View Post
People are assuming too much here.

The only people that know 'Superman' and 'Clark Kent' are the same person are as follows:
Martha Kent
Lois Lane
Pete Ross
Lana Lang
Whitney Fordham
Possibly Smallville Police Officer who drove Lois to Kent Farm
I wouldn't think Lana or Whitney especially would know since if Whitney knew what Clark could do from when they were teenagers, then he wouldn't have picked a fight with him to begin with and we don't know what's happened with Lana since she was a teen and whether she still thinks that Clark is "strange/unique".

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,874
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel View Post
People are assuming too much here.

The only people that know 'Superman' and 'Clark Kent' are the same person are as follows:
Martha Kent
Lois Lane
Pete Ross
Lana Lang
Whitney Fordham
Possibly Smallville Police Officer who drove Lois to Kent Farm
And why would those people tell no one when Superman saved the world?

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Really? "I'm from Kansas." Zod destroyed Smallville. Smallville probably has a newspaper. Clark was involved in a mysterious school bus miracle as a kid.

Same way Lois knows. It's really freaking obvious. And to me, it's more believable that the world knows and doesn't say anything (just like lois) than the world doesn't know and has no way of finding out.
Only pete n lana? saw it. People wouldn't believe them because they r kids n it's just too far a stretch. They would rather believe miracle did happen.

That's why the kids bully Clark to see if he is really powerful. N that's wht kents could carry on their life normally in smallville. Because that's just a miracle incident.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,874
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Only pete n lana? saw it. People wouldn't believe them because they r kids n it's just too far a stretch. They would rather believe miracle did happen.

That's why the kids bully Clark to see if he is really powerful. N that's wht kents could carry on their life normally in smallville. Because that's just a miracle incident.
I think in the 1950s people would rather believe a miracle happened. But it's 2013.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #22
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think in the 1950s people would rather believe a miracle happened. But it's 2013.
The world end on 21 12 12 rings any bells??? People believe in lot of superstition.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
robot
Side-Kick
 
robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think the secret identity in MoS is something unique to superhero movies and even to an extent comic books in general.

Lois definitely knows Clark's identity. Almost the entire town of Smallville knows. General Swanwick (and thusly probably the majority of the US government) most likely knows. Emil Hamilton and Perry White are in the "could find out if they were so inclined" category.

Most of the world could do a little research and likely find out what odd things have happened in Smallville, Kansas in the past 50 years. Which would inevitably lead them to the name Kent. But it seems like the people of the world in MoS want to trust Superman and don't care to know his secret identity.

I think its very interesting.
This is exactly what i thought... all of his school mates already knows, after the bus rescue scene... (news travel fast in school)...

and it didn't take lois long at all to track him down... all the oil riggers knows... (beard or not)...

That's why i thought the Tornado and letting his dad die to safeguard his identity is so weak and stupid.. cause, let's face it.. the cat is out of the bag... he basically let his dad die for nothing...

and anyone in the world who wanted to know can easily track him down the way lois did...

If they can track down Osama, you think it'll be that difficult to track a person who you know lives in kansas all his life down? he never gets sick, he's probably never been vaccinated, there'll be tons of things that stands out...

But, it's a movie, we will just pretend no one knows...

robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,592
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think in the 1950s people would rather believe a miracle happened. But it's 2013.
If something like that happened to your kids, and they swore on their lives that a kid picked up a bus and walked to the shore, would you believe them?

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,485
Default Re: How long can Clark hide his identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappeiJin View Post
I mean... at the end of the movie he became the famous eyeglassed clark. Now i must assume that nobody seen kal's face, except for few people like the family at the end or the soldiers, then for now it's fine.

But how long could stand this scenario? It's 2013, everywhere you go you can find someone who can catch you on a camera. The net can spread everywhere your image in few seconds.

Byrne's version made Supes uncatchable and not available to be taken on shot... will Goyer follow the same idea in the sequel? I'm afraid this could lead to a dead end. Come on, the world will discover soon Supes as a symbol of heroism and peace, then situations like "come to visit this school" (as can happen for a president...) will be unavoidable.

What do you think?
Well, seeing how fast he moves and how high in the air he usually his when he's flying around, getting a clear photo of him isn't going to be easy.

Besides, even if there is a clear photo of him in the media at one point, people who see Clark Kent on the street are more likely to think "Hey, that guy kind of looks like Superman!" than "Hey, it's Superman!"

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.