The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should this Superman kill?
No. 133 70.00%
Yes, its about time 32 16.84%
He should Find a way to send them to the Phantom Zone 14 7.37%
Other (explain) 11 5.79%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #251
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,662
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Zod's in a healing coma. If the film makes $2 billion you should bet your bottom dollar, he will be back to make us kneel before him.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #252
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: B.P.R.D.
Posts: 24,962
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
As someone else put it and as long as the Joker is alive he will kill people as well. The decision to have superman kill was a choice made by the filmmakers as a statement and for impact.

It was to prove that isn't your old superman anymore. I'm not hating the decision but it could have gone in other ways as well.

I honestly thought when zod said he had nothing to live for anymore he was just going to just kill himself?
I disagree. Nolanverse Joker is just a man. He would have either been on death row or institutionalized in a mental institution forever. He wasn't a super powered being (in context of the film, one of two left) who would never be stopped by human means.

__________________

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #253
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I disagree. Nolanverse Joker is just a man. He would have either been on death row or institutionalized in a mental institution forever. He wasn't a super powered being (in context of the film, one of two left) who would never be stopped by human means.
Exactly. Give Joker heatvision, superstrength, and flight, and it'd be crazy for Batman NOT to kill him.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #254
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

And Batman wouldn't, no matter what sort of superpower Joker had, he would find a non-lethal way to take him down. It was just lazy writing that the only thing Superman could do was kill Zod.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #255
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: B.P.R.D.
Posts: 24,962
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Technically, Batman kills Harvey Dent, a garbage truck driver, Miranda Tate, and Tate's driver. But that is a whole different can of worms.

__________________

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #256
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

I thought we were talking Batman in general, not Nolan's. His Batman was fairly incompetent.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #257
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,976
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I thought we were talking Batman in general, not Nolan's. His Batman was fairly incompetent.
Apparently so is Nolan's Superman. I just hope Superman learns his lesson and never does it again.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #258
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,887
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Exactly. Give Joker heatvision, superstrength, and flight, and it'd be crazy for Batman NOT to kill him.
It's all ready happend. Only Joker was basically made a god. I think Mixelplix gave him all his powers and the joker went after Superman.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #259
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

It's about time they start making superhero films into adult films. Enough with the cheesy dialogue, the unrealistic events they portray, it's time to start making films like TDK and MOS. Superman should definitely start killing people in the name of justice.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #260
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,976
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
It's about time they start making superhero films into adult films. Enough with the cheesy dialogue, the unrealistic events they portray, it's time to start making films like TDK and MOS. Superman should definitely start killing people in the name of justice.
Egad no.... He isn't Judge Dredd.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #261
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Egad no.... He isn't Judge Dredd.
And he isn't the exact cheesy copy of the comic Superman. This is a different, darker, more grittier superman and I love it.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #262
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

That's the type of **** that makes me hate geeks nowadays.

I got over the need to see grim n' gritty comic book movies when I was 15/16. What Marvel is doing is the perfect balancing act, taking the stories/characters serious enough, but not sucking out the fun or optimism from the movies.

The last thing Superman needs to be is dark and gritty.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #263
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,976
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
And he isn't the exact cheesy copy of the comic Superman. This is a different, darker, more grittier superman and I love it.
I don't mind Superman killing as a last resort.... it doesn't need to be done to every villain.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #264
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
That's the type of **** that makes me hate geeks nowadays.

I got over the need to see grim n' gritty comic book movies when I was 15/16. What Marvel is doing is the perfect balancing act, taking the stories/characters serious enough, but not sucking out the fun or optimism from the movies.

The last thing Superman needs to be is dark and gritty.
Lmao so dark, gritty, and realistic is for GEEKS and comic-book cheesiness and loyalness is not geeky? I don't even know where to start.

I've long been wanting adult superhero films to take out that "geeky" and "nerdy" aspect. I've always wanted a film that can be taken serious to an extent, and man has DC been putting out juggernauts lol well except for Green Lantern.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #265
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,976
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
Lmao so dark, gritty, and realistic is for GEEKS and comic-book cheesiness and loyalness is not geeky? I don't even know where to start.

I've long been wanting adult superhero films to take out that "geeky" and "nerdy" aspect. I've always wanted a film that can be taken serious to an extent, and man has DC been putting out juggernauts lol well except for Green Lantern.
While I agree a more mature look is good considering Marvel's more playful style. I think they may have taken it a bit far with Superman. Just a smidgen.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #266
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,281
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Zod's in a healing coma. If the film makes $2 billion you should bet your bottom dollar, he will be back to make us kneel before him.
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I'll respond to it with seriousness

Wouldn't that take the drama and emotional impact away though from Superman?

"No! I killed somebody! I'm devastated! It's affected my life. I swear from this day forward, I shall never kill again!"

Zod's alive!

"Oh thank Rao for that!"

__________________
"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs - hehehehehehehehe "
Joker
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #267
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
While I agree a more mature look is good considering Marvel's more playful style. I think they may have taken it a bit far with Superman. Just a smidgen.
You know what, maybe they did, but I'm starting to adjust to this change. The first time I saw MoS I was like whoa, where the hell did Superman grow these balls? And last night I saw it again and I got kind of used to this new take. I mean Nolan's Batman took a more mature approach and it made a lot of us look at the movie in a more serious way. They did the same thing with this movie and in my opinion I think they did good.

But this movie definitely isn't for kids younger than 12.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #268
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

It's not that it's geeky to want that, it's that geeks that want that for all comic book movies are annoying idiots.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #269
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
It's not that it's geeky to want that, it's that geeks that want that for all comic book movies are annoying idiots.
Or maybe they aren't geeks and want these movies to grow out of the geeky phase. You really need to look up the definition of the word "geek". A more mature, realistic, dark film is not geeky whatsoever.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #270
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,976
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

The thing is though is that some characters just are geeky and camp in tone and changing the tone changes them on a fundamental basis that just shouldn't be done.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #271
Blake II
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 213
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
The thing is though is that some characters just are geeky and camp in tone and changing the tone changes them on a fundamental basis that just shouldn't be done.
Or maybe it should be done. That's what made Nolan's Batman trilogy such a spectacle. That's what had everyone anticipating this superman movie all because of the more mature tone.

I mean if you're doing a movie about Shazam! or plastic man then yeah the cheesiness is a must. But if it's a big name like Superman, you have to take a little more serious approach to make it appealing to everyone, not only kids.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #272
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

You can do Superman serious without trying to make him dark, edgy and po-faced, or fundamentally change a core belief of the character. It's dumb as ****.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #273
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,197
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
You know what, maybe they did, but I'm starting to adjust to this change. The first time I saw MoS I was like whoa, where the hell did Superman grow these balls? And last night I saw it again and I got kind of used to this new take. I mean Nolan's Batman took a more mature approach and it made a lot of us look at the movie in a more serious way. They did the same thing with this movie and in my opinion I think they did good.

But this movie definitely isn't for kids younger than 12.
The mature in Nolan's Batman films was in the symbolism and plot, not in the hero killing the villain, in fact on of the weirdest moments in his trilogy was when he didn't save Ra's All Ghul and told that in his face.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #274
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
It's about time they start making superhero films into adult films. Enough with the cheesy dialogue, the unrealistic events they portray, it's time to start making films like TDK and MOS. Superman should definitely start killing people in the name of justice.
This whole concept of 'this film's for adults' is so alien to me. Sure, there's films that are not designed to play for kids, like Fight Club or anything Aaron Sorkin writes.

But if someone told the six year old version of me that I couldn't watch a Superman film because it wasn't made for kids, I'd go on a ****ing rampage. Superman is an icon for EVERYONE. Pigeon holing him into a film only for adults is as criminal as making Batman & Robin only for kids.

You absolutely do not get how important these character are to people of all ages. Yes, Christopher Nolan's Batman was mature, but you bet your ass that it played for people of all ages regardless of how vicious the villains were. Children get that.

They're not idiots who think 'ah well that enemy's on the same level as someone from Scooby Doo so he'll be harmless'. They get that the Joker's evil and it only elevates Batman to an even higher level of being hero as it were. Ditto for any rendition of Superman.

The issue with Man of Steel's finale or treatment of the action in general wasn't that it was made for 'adults'. The issue with the action is that it was bland. Regardless of how bland a life I may lead I don't want to go to the cinema and watching boring action set pieces and then get told I must enjoy it because I'm an adult. That's bonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
Or maybe it should be done. That's what made Nolan's Batman trilogy such a spectacle. That's what had everyone anticipating this superman movie all because of the more mature tone.

I mean if you're doing a movie about Shazam! or plastic man then yeah the cheesiness is a must. But if it's a big name like Superman, you have to take a little more serious approach to make it appealing to everyone, not only kids.
Not so long before this post you were harping on about films needing to play for adults, now you want it to play not just for kids. You really don't get it. The best films in the world are those that don't pigeon hole themselves into playing for a certain audience.

Sure, the Godfather isn't meant for kids, but that doesn't mean it's targeting a certain demographic. It's just that the subject matter wouldn't appeal to children unless they're really into discovering the true meaning behind family and loyalty. But hey, that's not the point.

Superman, Batman and countless other characters are meant for all appropriate audiences. Piegon-holing them isn't a financial mistake as much as a cultural mistake. They'd lock out an entire generation in order to please people who want exclusive access to a misguided version of a global icon.

Granted, they haven't done that in Man of Steel but that's not to say they haven't delivered a skewed representation of what it means to be a hero. But that's a different point to the non-point you're attempting to make.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #275
Man of Steel
Superman
 
Man of Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 609
Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Zod's in a healing coma. If the film makes $2 billion you should bet your bottom dollar, he will be back to make us kneel before him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I'll respond to it with seriousness

Wouldn't that take the drama and emotional impact away though from Superman?

"No! I killed somebody! I'm devastated! It's affected my life. I swear from this day forward, I shall never kill again!"

Zod's alive!

"Oh thank Rao for that!"
I honestly hope that this is the case.

__________________
Snyder? Really, Nolan? You couldn't get anyone better?

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.