The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should this Superman kill?
No. 133 70.00%
Yes, its about time 32 16.84%
He should Find a way to send them to the Phantom Zone 14 7.37%
Other (explain) 11 5.79%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #201
Man of Steel
Superman

Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I refuse to believe that Superman actually killed Zod. My three main theories are 1.) Zod isn't dead. His eyes were still glowing and after that one scene, Superman seems normal, if not outright happy. Definitely not the way he would act if he killed someone. 2.)Zod killed himself. By blasting the wall with heat vision, his powers, including invulnerability, hadn't yet fully developed, and the force of the blast snapped his neck or 3.) Zod was actually sent to the Phantom Zone with the others, and that last fight scene was a hallucination from that thingy on Zod's ship that let him look into Lois and Superman's minds. Since some Kryptonian tech is bound to have been left over, no doubt so our favorite bald evil billionaire can use it in the sequel, why not that piece?

I stand by my belief that Superman does not kill.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #202
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I think it's fine that Superman killed Zod. He needed a reason to decide not to kill. He definitely got it.

He didn't have Batman's experience of watching his parents murdered. Plus I don't need/want Zod to come back in a future film. So it worked out very well for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #203
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Killing is Superman's "nuclear option" never ever used unless every single conceivable option has been exhausted and even then he should be very hesitant

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #204
Shazam
Side-Kick

yes!! Killing in self defense or the defense of the helpless is acceptable!! What is so hard to understand about that????

That stupid moral code is why the Joker keeps going on killing sprees....

Superman had no choice....Zod is genetically engineered to kill for Krypton! And Zod had no choice but to follow his programming! And he had Super powers, too??

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #205
Shazam
Side-Kick

The big question is .............

WHERE IS ZOD'S BODY??? DID SUPERMAN TAKE IT OR DOES THE GOVT HAVE IT .....LEXCORP EXAMINING IT? Another plot hole they should tackled in an credit ending scene.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #206
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Probably what Supes always does with that kind of stuff. Throw it in a sun.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #207
Blackman
King Kong

I felt that Superman mightve had some other options. Wasn't a fan of him killing Zod at all

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #208
Chiquichiqui

No. SUPERMAN does not kill.

Chiquichiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #209
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
I refuse to believe that Superman actually killed Zod. My three main theories are 1.) Zod isn't dead. His eyes were still glowing and after that one scene, Superman seems normal, if not outright happy. Definitely not the way he would act if he killed someone. 2.)Zod killed himself. By blasting the wall with heat vision, his powers, including invulnerability, hadn't yet fully developed, and the force of the blast snapped his neck or 3.) Zod was actually sent to the Phantom Zone with the others, and that last fight scene was a hallucination from that thingy on Zod's ship that let him look into Lois and Superman's minds. Since some Kryptonian tech is bound to have been left over, no doubt so our favorite bald evil billionaire can use it in the sequel, why not that piece?

Even in the comics he killed Zod.....

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...rder2_copy.jpg

And this is a rookie Superman.....he's got a lot to learn...

Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #210
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I felt that Superman mightve had some other options. Wasn't a fan of him killing Zod at all
Yeah....Kentucky Fried Humans

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #211
Blackman
King Kong

Couldnt have flown away holding Zod?

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #212
nbanflguy
Side-Kick

Quote:

You are very strongly in denial

nbanflguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #213
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Even in the comics he killed Zod.....

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...rder2_copy.jpg

And this is a rookie Superman.....he's got a lot to learn...
But sequels always escalate the danger.

That kind of "mistake" escalates the question of when to kill and why not. You can't really take this realism approach of having a guy destroying a city then kill him.

What happens when Metallo threatens the entire eastern seaboard? The first chance he gets he should stop him permanently.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #214
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:

1) Zod is dead, after Superman snaps his neck you can see the Heat Vision in his eye slowly fade away to inanimation. And Seriously...? This looks happy to you?

He just killed the last of his heritage (not including himself). That guilt has to be weighing heavily here especially with the theme of insider vs. outsider displayed here. Additionally, realize that this Superman is not a finalized concept, like the comic books he's a hero starting out, so he doesn't have an finalized notion of his morality. Perhaps the experience of killing Zod leads him to adopt a no-kill policy, just as Batman adopts a no-kill policy because of his parents' deaths and the pain he felt from their murders.

2) How could Zod kill himself when you clearly see the force of Superman's snap breaking his neck? Additionally, how is it that when Zod used Heat Vision countlessly, that his neck didn't snap back? Sounds like a poor excuse to make up for the reality that Superman killed him. Moreover, It was clear that Zod was interested in killing, and struggles in moving his head so that he could kill the family. The problem is that Zod was genetically bred to be a violent man, Superman could've done everything from a rational standpoint (talking/negotiating) and and it would be ineffective...we're dealing with a genetically manipulated killer.

3) Seriously...? Why would they hint at that being a manipulation and not at least hint Lex Luthor? (I don't mean Lexcorp-style easter eggs, I mean actual dialogue to hint Luthor behind the scenes). No offense, but that's a horrible ending vs. what MOS showed.

No offense, but you're really reaching so that you can justify the need to not have him killed, but this is an entirely new Superman. And I personally believe that in the context of the situation, this was called for and righteous, otherwise even more guilt falls on Superman for getting people killed instead of stopping Zod.

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #215
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Couldnt have flown away holding Zod?
To what end??? Zod can now fly.....so he French fries another set of humans......there's no kryptonite yet.....he had to end it!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #216
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:

Regardless of your personal take on that. The act as the film presented it was to leave the audience with the impression that yes superman did kill him. That is what the vast majority of viewers will take from that scene and i see no reason why the film would present it that way if not to acknowledge that he did in fact kill?

Unless something cheesy like us seeing zod "come back to life" in the sequel i think we're intended to believe he did kill him.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #217
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
1) Zod is dead, after Superman snaps his neck you can see the Heat Vision in his eye slowly fade away to inanimation. And Seriously...? This looks happy to you?

He just killed the last of his heritage (not including himself). That guilt has to be weighing heavily here especially with the theme of insider vs. outsider displayed here. Additionally, realize that this Superman is not a finalized concept, like the comic books he's a hero starting out, so he doesn't have an finalized notion of his morality. Perhaps the experience of killing Zod leads him to adopt a no-kill policy, just as Batman adopts a no-kill policy because of his parents' deaths and the pain he felt from their murders.

2) How could Zod kill himself when you clearly see the force of Superman's snap breaking his neck? Additionally, how is it that when Zod used Heat Vision countlessly, that his neck didn't snap back? Sounds like a poor excuse to make up for the reality that Superman killed him. Moreover, It was clear that Zod was interested in killing, and struggles in moving his head so that he could kill the family. The problem is that Zod was genetically bred to be a violent man, Superman could've done everything from a rational standpoint (talking/negotiating) and and it would be ineffective...we're dealing with a genetically manipulated killer.

3) Seriously...? Why would they hint at that being a manipulation and not at least hint Lex Luthor? (I don't mean Lexcorp-style easter eggs, I mean actual dialogue to hint Luthor behind the scenes). No offense, but that's a horrible ending vs. what MOS showed.

No offense, but you're really reaching so that you can justify the need to not have him killed, but this is an entirely new Superman. And I personally believe that in the context of the situation, this was called for and righteous, otherwise even more guilt falls on Superman for getting people killed instead of stopping Zod.
Not that scene, the one after that. And yes, maybe I am in denial, but I believe that Superman should never, ever kill in any circumstance, because there's always another way. And like someone mentioned, what would they do with his body?

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #218
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Apparently Superman does kill. lol

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #219
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
But sequels always escalate the danger.

That kind of "mistake" escalates the question of when to kill and why not. You can't really take this realism approach of having a guy destroying a city then kill him.

What happens when Metallo threatens the entire eastern seaboard? The first chance he gets he should stop him permanently.
Metallo isn't Krytonian....there are more options.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #220
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

The way I see it...Superman is the ultimate bastion of morality. If someone/thing you value is about to harmed, you will do ANYTHING to prevent it from being harmed. When it comes to Batman, even though ultimately it's for the side of good, he has a warped/skewed view of ethics/morals. Superman is sort of PURE morality.....so if you see an innocent about to be killed by someone, however misguided or sympathetic the killer may be, you should do everything within your power to defend and protect the innocent.....which means, ending a life if the circumstances are that dire.

DorkyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #221
Shazam
Side-Kick

Maybe this killing of Zod is what makes him take on that stupid "no killing" policy from now on..........He looked like it really anguished him.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #222
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Maybe if he was the Man of Tomorrow and was smarter, he'd figure something out. But, nope.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #223
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not that scene, the one after that. And yes, maybe I am in denial, but I believe that Superman should never, ever kill in any circumstance, because there's always another way. And like someone mentioned, what would they do with his body?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they essentially hint at Superman being in turmoil when they zoomed into Zod's Heat Vision getting closer to targeting the family, and then zoomed into Superman's eye and pleads to stop? I think that's pretty telling that Superman is not okay with this, the fact that he even has to wait that long until he stops Zod is also telling of his inner conflict.

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #224
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
The way I see it...Superman is the ultimate bastion of morality. If someone/thing you value is about to harmed, you will do ANYTHING to prevent it from being harmed. When it comes to Batman, even though ultimately it's for the side of good, he has a warped/skewed view of ethics/morals. Superman is sort of PURE morality.....so if you see an innocent about to be killed by someone, however misguided or sympathetic the killer may be, you should do everything within your power to defend and protect the innocent.....which means, ending a life if the circumstances are that dire.
Police officers and soldiers do it all the time......are they evil???

Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #225
SuperWig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Police officers and soldiers do it all the time......are they evil???
Yes!!! I'm so glad you posted this! It's called the force continuum.