The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > PC

Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Funcom tops Oslo stock exchange, invests heavily in The Secret World

The Secret World

Developer Diary: Free Form Progression - Mix and match more than 500 abilities to create your unique character in The Secret World.

Posted 1 day ago

source: GT

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Funcom tops Oslo stock exchange, invests heavily in The Secret World

The Secret World's lead designer explains abilities, (8 hours ago)

Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Game mechanics, MMO industry, New titles, Professions, News items, The Secret World, Crafting

Funcom's been pretty quiet since its GDC reveal of The Secret World. Today, though, lead designer Martin Bruusgaard has dropped the smack down on the information void via a lengthy blog post on the game's official site.

You'll probably want a couple of caffeinated beverages for this one because Bruusgaard has a lot to say about The Secret World's abilities, skills, gear, progression, and crafting systems. We would try to summarize it for you, but we'd still be typing this time tomorrow, so suffice it to say that basically every mechanical question you have about the game is at least touched on in this post.

There are plenty of interesting tidbits too, like the fact that TSW is shaping up to be one of the more non-linear experiences to be found among the latest crop of AAA MMORPGs. "The players are free to go wherever they want from the beginning, but they will most likely get their ass handed to them in the more difficult zones," Bruusgaard explains.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World Pre-Order Brings Beta & Much More

News
on Apr 03, 2012 at 09:30 AM

Pre-ordering the game gets you all kinds of goodies, including early access.
... More

source: GI

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World reveals Hell

(13 hours ago)

Last month, Massively sent freelancer FranÁois Blondin to Funcom's studio in Montreal to check out the latest and greatest from The Secret World. His original write-up from the latest Montreal event was his second look at the game, but one part was still under NDA: Hell. In this article, Frank will discuss his impressions of Hell in the game.

Remember the movie Constantine with Keanu Reeves? Remember what Hell looked like there, when he stared into the cat eyes and moved to that realm? Well, this version of Hell is just like that -- with you in the middle.

In The Secret World, Funcom brings us a stunning Hell, with burning winds that scorch the landscape, making things hard to see, silencing you completely when you're in the winds, and burning your precious skin to a crisp if you stand in it too long. You have to run from cover to cover to stop the damage you're taking and allow to use your abilities. But the cover is never safe; enemies are waiting for you. Continue Reading

source: Massively

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
zenith16
Side-Kick

PAX East 2012: The Secret World demo

(1 day ago)

Funcom's The Secret World has had a big weekend at PAX East with its first public chance for hands-on interaction! It's a game that's been stirring up quite a bit of interest; the classless, level-less progression system, secret societies, and sword-and-automatic-rifle genre-bending are just a few of its selling points. My ears tend to perk up when the game gets mentioned, so of course I was all but falling over myself to hop into the playable demo this weekend. Walking away from that experience, though, I'm unconvinced. Continue Reading

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #31
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World's PAX recap video talks PvP, progression

(9 hours ago)

If you couldn't make it to PAX on Easter sunday, you can at least catch up on the happenings around Funcom's The Secret World booth thanks to a new video that the firm recently uploaded to its YouTube portal.

The clip is about six minutes long, and it splices together random con-goer interviews with gameplay footage of The Secret World's ability wheel and progression system. Also featured is Funcom community manager Glen "Famine" Swan, who says that he is excited about the game's "persistent PvP, because [it's] doing a lot of grass-roots stuff that [he] grew up with in the MMO genre."

Famine also touches on the TSW's three-faction design as well as the fact that the PvP game is ever-changing and filled with progression-related rewards. If you're not so much into the PvP, don't fret, since you can still PvE with your friends regardless of which faction you choose. Check out the full clip after the break. Continue Reading

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
zenith16
Side-Kick

PAX East 2012: Exploring the dark corners of The Secret World

(23 hours ago)

As anyone around the Massively offices can tell you, I am eagerly-bordering-on-obsessively awaiting the release of Funcom's latest entry into the MMO market, The Secret World. I'm all about the supernatural, occult, and paranormal, and The Secret World's "all the myths are true" philosophy is right up my alley, so when I heard that there would be a playable demo at PAX East 2012, it was all I could do not to squeal like a 12-year-old girl (and I may have done so anyway).

Of course, many people are hesitant about the title. Between The Secret World's subscription-cum-microtransactions business model and Funcom's track record of poor launches and bug-laden games, some gamers are finding themselves hesitant to get hyped up for the game's June 19th launch. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I weren't at least a bit cautious myself, regardless of my enthusiasm for the game. So how is the game shaping up? Well, sit down, grab yourself a drink, and let me tell you what I think. Continue Reading

Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #33
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I'll be preordering next week. Been stalkin this game for a loong time now. And it looks like it'll just be me and you, Zenith haha

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #34
zenith16
Side-Kick

we'll see . there's just alot of competition right now and most people are doing wait and see thing . they need to see some thing that'll really grab them to this game. there's alot of game on peoples lists.

Last edited by zenith16; 04-17-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I find myself less and less interested in video games these days so I'll try out anything even remotely interesting.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
zenith16
Side-Kick

yeah well it's hard trying to put out some thing original all the time. but at least there are a few people trying in the industry. I'll try this out when I'm able to find the time. Heck, I haven't even really gotten in the star wars MMO. i hear it's doing well. I've just been busy. I'll let you know when I get this game.

Last edited by zenith16; 04-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #37
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I played SWTOR hardcore for a few months, then lost all interest. Def fun though, highly recommend.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
zenith16
Side-Kick

yeah SWTOR is on my to play list.

Funcom giving away in-game prizes, studio trips via The Secret World Facebook tie-in

(4 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, MMO industry, New titles, News items, The Secret World

There's something decidedly ironic about a conspiracy-laden game rife with (fictional) secrets and sensitive information taking to Facebook to advertise itself. Funcom's new The Secret World MMO is doing just that, though, thanks to a tie-in game called The Secret War that kicked off last night.

Docholidaymmo.com reports that the new Facebook game grants in-game prizes for The Secret World (in the form of cosmetic gear, potions, and starter weapons). Funcom is also giving away eight trips to its Montreal development studio as well as a chance to get your name embedded in The Secret World's retail client. Still not enough for you? How about chances to win access to the title's upcoming beta weekends?

You'll need to head to the official Secret War site and link your Facebook account (or your fake Facebook account, according to the report). After you've done so, each of your Facebook friends who is playing the game will go into your pool of agents and may be assigned toward the ultimate goal of world domination.

The Secret World is now available for pre-order and launches June 19th.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #39
zenith16
Side-Kick

April 17 - EP Daily - 5

click the image for more info.

source: Ep

Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #40
Destructus86
Side-Kick

eh...the more video I see of this game the less impressed I am. The combat looks so bland.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
Cosmic
Theosophist

AO was great fun, after the major problems were fixed. Same with Conan. It would be nice if they made sure the game works properly before releasing it this time. Then maybe they can avoid the inevitable and irreversible mass exodus of players that befell the former titles.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #42
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret War draws over 200,000 players to its Facebook battle

(8 hours ago)
Betas, Horror, Sci-fi, Events, in-game, The Secret World

Funcom's Facebook prologue to The Secret World is a sizable success, even if it had a rocky beginning. The studio reports that over 200,000 players have taken the side of one of the game's three factions and are supporting their side through this "unique browser-based social experience."

Over the course of two weeks, participants have unleashed 50 million agents as part of the event, visited the site 1,200,000 times, and spent an average of 20 minutes each visit participating in the game. Since launching The Secret War, Funcom's added goals for the factions to work toward each week. The current prize is a Heart of Africa health talisman.

Two-hundred thousand participants is a solid win for Senior Vice President Morten Larssen, who sees this as an excellent way to prepare players for the factional struggle of the MMO: "This conflict has always been a key driver for activity in our own community, and we are excited to see that more and more people are coming in to join the conflict from outside the community as well."

[Source: Funcom press release]
More coverage: The Secret War

Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World announces first beta weekend

(5 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Events, in-game, News items, The Secret World

Beta weekends are all the rage these days, and now Funcom is getting in on the action. The studio has announced that its upcoming fantasy-horror MMO, The Secret World, will be the subject of a series of weekend beta tests, the first of which is beginning this weekend.

From Friday until Sunday, players who were lucky enough to get their hands on beta keys via preorders or giveaways will be able to jump into the boots of a Templar initiate. After undergoing the proper procedures for joining the less-than-secretive secret organization, players will be whisked away to Solomon Island, New England, where they will be tasked with finding the source of the ancient evil threatening Kingsmouth. The full details of the beta weekend, including a handy-dandy FAQ, can be found over at The Secret World's official site.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #44
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World's skill system detailed in new video

(6 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Trailers, Video, Game mechanics, MMO industry, New titles, News items, The Secret World

If you're staring down the barrel of The Secret World's first beta weekend and you're a little bit daunted by the game's 500-plus skills or its classless progression system, don't despair. Funcom has released an eight-minute video designed to teach you the basics and get your paranormal adventures off on the right foot.

The ability wheel breaks everything down into one of three categories: melee, magic, or ranged. Each is subdivided a further three times into different types of weapons (blood magic, blades, rifles, etc.). Technically you can learn every ability in the game, but you can only equip 14 at a time (seven active and seven passive), and you're also limited to equipping two weapons simultaneously. Your 14 abilities, when paired with your weapons of choice, make up your build, and half the fun in The Secret World is trying out all the possible permutations.

Learn more after the break, and don't forget to check out our Secret World press beta impressions while you're at it. Continue Reading

The Secret World beta: hands-on footage and first impressions

at 04:04pm May 11 2012

Iíve played through the first few hours of The Secret World this week, from the Templar factionís tutorial in London to the zombie-infested streets of a small New England town. You can watch eight minutes of footage with commentary below.
Read and comment >

Last edited by zenith16; 05-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #45
zenith16
Side-Kick

MMO Week in Review: It's a conspiracy

(1 day ago)
Massively Meta, Week in Review, Miscellaneous

At the end of every week, we round up the best and most popular news stories, exclusive features, and insightful columns published on Massively and then present them all in one convenient place. If you missed a big MMO or WoW Insider story last week, you've come to the right post.

The Secret World is becoming less secret by the week, which is good news for potential players (and the one million beta applicants) who are curious about Funcom's next big thing due out in just over a month. This week, on the eve of the game's first beta weekend, Massively's own conspiracy-debunkers got some hands-on time with the Templars and the Illuminati and logged a few hours trying on tinfoil hats in the character creator. (Tinfoil hats sold separately.)

The rest of this week's top MMO stories are lurking just beyond the cut. Continue Reading

Next beta weekend for The Secret World announced

(5 hours ago)
Betas, Horror, Events, in-game, News items, The Secret World, Miscellaneous

If you enjoyed the first peek into the secrets of Funcom's upcoming game, you'll be happy to know that The Secret World's second beta event has already been announced. The next weekend event starts on May 18th at noon EDT and runs until May 21st at 3:00 a.m. EDT. Several European sites will be giving away keys for this particular beta, but players who have pre-ordered the game beforehand will automatically have access to this event.

The new event will feature a number of new areas, quests, and storylines. Players can learn more about the residents of Kingsmouth who have held out despite the town's current state as well as meet representatives of the Orochi Corporation observing the dark occurrences. Plus, all of the previous weekend's content will be available, so if you didn't get a chance to take part in the last test, you'll have plenty to explore within the horror-filled world.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
zenith16
Side-Kick

Hands-on with The Secret World's combat system
(10 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Game mechanics, MMO industry, New titles, Previews, PvE, Opinion, The Secret World, Massively Hands-on, Guides

The Secret World's press beta hasn't been what I expected. To be frank, I'd say there are times I wish I didn't have to play it. See, my guild pals are on either the closed beta server or the public beta weekends server, both of which are quite crowded and therefore offer quite a different experience from the forlorn existence endured by my Massively Templar.

There's also the whole I-don't-get-to-keep-this-character thing, not to mention the wow-this-is-cool-and-I-don't-want-to-spoil-it-for-myself-post-launch thing.

On the other hand, I've had plenty of time to muck around with game systems and minutiae, something that my card-carrying membership in the crazy carebear immersionist secret society often precludes. For this week's press beta article, then, I thought I'd give you guys a primer on The Secret World's combat system. Continue Reading

source:massively

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
zenith16
Side-Kick

Raising hell in The Secret World's Hell Raised instance

(11 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Previews, Opinion, Hands-on, The Secret World, Dungeons

Welcome to The Secret World's Overlook Motel, where the sheets are clean, the service is friendly, and there's an ominous doorway to Hell in every room. Such is the beginning of the second instanced dungeon of Funcom's upcoming horror-fantasy MMO, which sees players descending deep into the bowels of the underworld to put an end to a raging demonic war that's causing Hell to leak through to the real world.

I had the pleasure of joining Funcom's Tor Andersen on a guided tour of Hell Raised, the first in a series of three dungeons that take place in the fiery depths, and boy did I ever have a hell of a time (sorry). If you're interested in finding out what awaits players of The Secret World in the depths of Hades itself, follow along with me as I give you the ins-and-outs of surviving a confrontation in the midst of an infernal warzone.
Continue Reading

source :massively

Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #48
zenith16
Side-Kick

The Secret World launch delayed to July 3rd

(11 hours ago)
Fantasy, Real life, Launches, New titles, PvP, The Secret World, Sandbox

The Dragons, Templars, and Illuminati will have to wait two more weeks to dive into their organizations: Originally slated for June 19th, The Secret World's release is delayed until July 3rd. Early access will open on June 29th.

Funcom also announced the final two beta weekends. The first, titled "Hell Raised,'" will run from June 15th until June 17th and will include the Illuminati and Dragon starter experiences as well as allow players to leave Kingsmouth for the Savage Coast. The final beta weekend will be from June 22nd to June 24th; during this event players will participate in the game's PvP in both the warzone gameplay and the Eldorado battlefield.

Everything you need to know about The Secret World
(7 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Horror, Classes, MMO industry, New titles, Previews, News items, Opinion, The Secret World, Massively Hands-on, First Impressions, Guides, Crafting

So what's all this hullabaloo about The Secret World? Let's start with the basics.

The Secret World is a new MMORPG by Funcom, the studio that brought you Age of Conan, and way back when, Anarchy Online. It's also the brainchild of one Ragnar Tornquist, familiar to adventure gamers the world over thanks to Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. Like those seminal titles, The Secret World seeks to conjure an immersive, fantastical realm of myth, magic, and in some cases, horror. Unlike the adventures of April Ryan, though, The Secret World is your story, and it takes place in the video game equivalent of the real world (not to mention Hell, portions of a hollow Earth, and many other mythological settings).

There's an undeniable Lovecraftian influence, there are zombies and assault rifles, and there's a three-faction setup that asks players to join forces with noted secret societies like the Templars and the Illuminati (as well as the less-familiar Dragons). Did we mention battleground PvP, a Minecraft-inspired crafting system, and skill-based progression mechanics that depart from traditional MMORPG classes and levels in favor of player-made builds (drawn from a pool of nearly 600 distinct abilities)?

As you can see, Funcom is throwing everything at the wall, and luckily for you, Massively has been keeping tabs on the game's development for a number of years now. We've also managed to spend quite a bit of time in the beta of late. Click past the cut for a roundup of our best coverage, including guides, impressions, interviews, and basically everything you want to know about The Secret World. Continue Reading

Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #49
zenith16
Side-Kick

Funcom kicks off new Secret World ARG with strange video

(9 hours ago)
Betas, Horror, Sci-fi, Lore, The Secret World

Everybody loves their Alice in Wonderland metaphors, and Funcom is no exception. The studio kicked off a new alternate reality game for its upcoming MMO, The Secret World, and it's littered with White Rabbit references.

The game starts with a very short video in which a woman on a cell phone talks about a six-year-old case. This is followed up with the instructions to go to Funcom's website, click on the background, and type in "33" to start the ARG. Just... be prepared for anything if you do. We don't want to spoil it, so we'll leave it at that and encourage you to watch the video after the jump.

[Thanks to Kaitlyn for the tip!] Continue Reading

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #50
zenith16
Side-Kick

source: GI