The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 11-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Default VALIANT UNIVERSE: XO Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger etc..

Is this site too Marvel/DC focused for discussion of this mid-tier companies universe of interconnected heroes?

Valiant Entertainment relaunched their line in 2012 after going through bankruptcy and legal wrangling were settled in 2008. Valiant was one of the top 4/5 publishers in the 90's for those who may not know.

Popular Titles/Characters include:
XO Manowar
Harbinger
Bloodshot
Archer & Armstrong
Shadowman
Eternal Warrior
Rai
Ivar the Timewalker
Dr.Mirage
Ninjak
Quantum & Woody
UNITY
The Valiant - a 4 part premiere jumping on point will include most all of the important characters so new readers can get a feel for them and current readers see what they've been up to.

IGN believes you should be giving VALIANT titles a shot.

Quote:
Ever since Valiant Comics was rebooted in 2012, they have astounded fans and critics alike with their small but strong line of books. They recruited top talent from the industry to usher in a modern age of Valiant stories. Their signature character X-O Manowar led the charge, paving the way for the likes of Harbinger, Eternal Warrior and more. It can't be denied that the publisher has played their hand carefully and smartly, sticking to a select few titles and putting all of their resources into making them as entertaining and engrossing as possible.

If you haven't jumped on the Valiant bandwagon yet, now is the time. What's best about their books is that there's something for everyone.
Are you reading VALIANT and if so what are you enjoying?
Did you try them and perhaps try the wrong title or give up too early?
If not, do you think you might try one in lieu of 7th Bat title or 6th Avengers title for a few months?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
DarKush
Side-Kick

Default Re: VALIANT UNIVERSE: XO Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger etc..

I like Valiant. Their reasonably priced first volume graphic novels allowed me to read several of the title's first arcs. I haven't stayed consistently on them though. I've enjoyed Unity the most. I also liked Blood Shot and XO Manowar, though I'm not reading them consistently. Archer & Armstrong started off strong, but I didn't continue reading them. I thought Quantum & Woody were alright, but not that interested in that series. Shadowman started off with some really excellent artwork, but I'm not that big into mystical stories so it didn't fully grab me. I didn't care for Eternal Warrior and the first issue of Rai didn't grab me.

I enjoyed what I read-for the most part-of the Armor Hunters miniseries. The Harbinger Wars graphic novel I read, in comparison, wasn't as kick ass, though it did have quite a bit of action.

Valiant is a refreshing alternative to Marvel and DC IMO. I only hope they continue to grow.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Default Re: VALIANT UNIVERSE: XO Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger etc..

Fans of Science Fiction and Future Tech you're opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the next arc of RAI starts now!

Rai #5 was worth the wait!

Some thoughts I share from that first 9.8 review:
Quote:
Rai #5 is an excellent start to the new story arc and creates exciting story threads from the plan to kill Father to the independent Positronic deciding on a course of action to live. From the first page to the last I was completely engrossed in everything taking place. The introduction of the chemical hiding Raddies from being detected was a great touch as it made the overall plot against Father seem more plausible and interesting. And the uncertainty regarding Rai's mental state in terms of Father's ability to read his mind added a little more edge to the entire situation. And Lula finally getting her own Positronic along with Momo searching for meaning in her own existence rounded off the events taking place in this futuristic world nicely.
If you are a die hard Marvel &/or DC fan this should be the one book you sample from VALIANT!