The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #151
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Thor's power level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
In the prelude comic Odin seems to have some sort of object or machine to harness the dark energy so perhaps that's what Malekith is after when he attacks? He might be disfigured while taking the energy into himself or something.
Maybe, or maybe exactly this happened long ago.

Why Now? Why does everything have to happen now? We've seen hints that things have been going on for a while. The colored face is a part of Malekith's character. It just seems...weird to have it suddenly just happen to him now, when he's possibly been around for a long time. Why does everything have to happen "live"? We've already heard the Asgardians have had a fallout with the Dark Elves. Maybe Odin trapped Surtur long ago, and the Dark Elves are trying to release him, so that "darkness" can enter the universe again...Malekith, a guy who is recognized by the two colors on his face, is around for a while, only for his iconic appearance to be created just days, or weeks before he is defeated or maybe even killed finally. For me, I would HATE that.

A characters who's appearance is somewhat important, to the character, I would like to think that he's looked like this for a long time. It just seems more logical to me. Just because there is a picture of him doesn't mean it happened live...just because Antman comes out after all the events of avengers 1, or avengers 2, doesn't mean Ultron hasn't already been created.

It's clear there is a lot of things going on with Marvel and the timelines and stuff.

Maybe I am overanalytical, maybe I am bias, but I doubt Malekith just get's the other half of his face burnt chronologically now.

I think that long ago, Surtur battled with Odin. Surtur was defeated, and he was aided by the dark elves, and Surtur and trapped. We hear of this dark energy, only Surtur is powerful enough to unleash, so the dark elves continue to fight, Malekith get's injured.. years years later, the dark elves, malekith in particular, are still longing for this darkness, and finally, after all these years, has a new plan unleash Surtur, and darkness into the universe.

That's what I think is happening in this movie, that picture, simply a flashback from the initial battle..as every scene in the movie was filmed. It seems pretty heavily implied that this isn't the first time this specific issue has happened

Last edited by jaqua99; 06-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #152
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

My first thoughts were also that it was a flashback, but I'm just looking at different possibilities.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #153
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
My first thoughts were also that it was a flashback, but I'm just looking at different possibilities.
oh, then why certainly :P.

But based on the synopsis, and what we know of Surtur and malekith, that's what I believe is happening, weapon of Thor.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #154
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I hope SOME of what is mentioned in the Prelude book is covered in some way in the movie.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #155
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I hope SOME of what is mentioned in the Prelude book is covered in some way in the movie.
It will pretty much have to be. They can't mention dark energy in the Avengers and not explain it further, and only a minuscule part of the audience will read the comic.

That Yost, who co-wrote the screenplay for TDW, also co-wrote the prelude makes it even more likely.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #156
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I can't wait to see what else is in part 2

....to every King.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #157
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I can't wait to see what else is in part 2
Me neither. It feels like that's where the really juicy bits will come. Things that happen after The Avengers.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #158
Donar
Banned User

Quote:
Me neither. It feels like that's where the really juicy bits will come. Things that happen after The Avengers.
Yeah, can't wait for it too.

Donar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #159
Godzilla2000
Mano Y Mano

I just thought of this but maybe the physical scarring on Malekith's face is from the incident that turns Algrim into Kurse? If I recall from my research Thor's battle with Kurse involved a lot of fire?

- I love the excitement of retaining certain secrets and mysteries to myself and the other important person in my life.

- Keep them guessing what goes on in private behind locked doors is my motto.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 06-14-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #160
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I just thought of this but maybe the physical scarring on Malekith's face is from the incident that turns Algrim into Kurse? If I recall from my reearch Thor's battle with Kurse involved a lot of fire?
Goooooood call, this is one of the best theories I've seen on these boards in a long time. I definately can see this being the reason for Malekith's scat.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #161
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I just thought of this but maybe the physical scarring on Malekith's face is from the incident that turns Algrim into Kurse? If I recall from my research Thor's battle with Kurse involved a lot of fire?
That IS a good point! I had completely forgot that!

....to every King.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #162
Godzilla2000
Mano Y Mano

Why thanks a lot. I just wonder if my theorizing turns out to be the truth. It certainly would explain the image of a scarless Malekith.

- I love the excitement of retaining certain secrets and mysteries to myself and the other important person in my life.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #163
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I hope so, if they're sticking to Walt's stories

....to every King.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #164
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

When it comes to THOR'S feats of strength in the comics one of my favorite sequences of all time will probably never be translated to the big screen ever. It's the awesome moment when THOR lifts the dead body of FAFNIR the dragon to serve as the dog in the LAST VIKING'S funereal. It's both a great show of THOR'S power and a great character moment as well. One of Simonson's best.

KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #165
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, that's one of the best shows of strength, right up there with lifting a giant's cat which was really the midgard serpents body on the ocean floor

....to every King.

Last edited by Vartha; 06-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #166
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Yeah. What Simonson did in that sequence was great because it was a display of character through a display of power. It's something more film adaptations should go for. It's like characters in film only have powers for action scenes. Now that I think about it maybe I will see a FAFNIR/LAST VIKING story on screen. It is a part of the build up to SURTUR in the books, with LORELEI being sent to bring FAFNIR and everything that led to that, but it could just as well be wditten in a stand alone manner. Lots of great THOR action and power moments in those issues.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #167
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
When it comes to THOR'S feats of strength in the comics one of my favorite sequences of all time will probably never be translated to the big screen ever. It's the awesome moment when THOR lifts the dead body of FAFNIR the dragon to serve as the dog in the LAST VIKING'S funereal. It's both a great show of THOR'S power and a great character moment as well. One of Simonson's best.
Some of my favorite feats is when Thor pushed the world engine and arm wrestling Hercules causing mountains to crumble. Another is when he punched Beta Ray Bill through a planet and when he slowed down a falling Manhattan in Avengers:EMH.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #168
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Count me in as one of those that thinks THOR should be the AVENGERS' SUPERMAN analog. I am one who thinks his strength should be on par with HULK. The films should show his pure physical strength is one of his most potent weapons. Gotta say, MOS got the awe part of awe inspiring strength right. Wish MARVEL would follow suit.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #169
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Count me in as one of those that thinks THOR should be the AVENGERS' SUPERMAN analog. I am one who thinks his strength should be on par with HULK. The films should show his pure physical strength is one of his most potent weapons. Gotta say, MOS got the awe part of awe inspiring strength right. Wish MARVEL would follow suit.
Well Marvel was focusing on making Hulk popular again with the GA and his only real power is his strength. So it made sense for them to focus on Hulk's strength more than Thor's in TA, but Thor was still no push over he was plenty strong.

Now that Marvel accomplished getting Hulk back popular, I'm sure they're gonna put more focus on Thor's strength.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #170
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

^Looking at your avatar I was reminded of that moment in the trailer.... If that scene if THOR summoning the hammer to him after a time of being separated in, perhaps another world/realm then maybe we will see some strength alone battles.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #171
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
^Looking at your avatar I was reminded of that moment in the trailer.... If that scene if THOR summoning the hammer to him after a time of being separated in, perhaps another world/realm then maybe we will see some strength alone battles.
Hell yeah I've been thinking the same thing, I REALLY hope that'the case in that scene. One thing TA did show was Thor super strength w/o quite a few times now it's time to expand on that.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #172
Godzilla2000
Mano Y Mano

Quote:
I'm thinking that if there's a Superman analog in the Marvel Universe, a basic source of inspiration for humanity and what good it can be capable of, that hero is Captain America. Steve Rogers basically embodies the same principles as Superman.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #173
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I'm thinking that if there's a Superman analog in the Marvel Universe, a basic source of inspiration for humanity and what good it can be capable of, that hero is Captain America. Steve Rogers basically embodies the same principles as Superman.
Those are the two different ways to look at it; the most powerful hero and the inspiration for humanity.

I prefer the inspiration for humanity to actually be human though, since that says that we can actually be what we aspire to.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #174
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Those are the two different ways to look at it; the most powerful hero and the inspiration for humanity.

I prefer the inspiration for humanity to actually be human though, since that says that we can actually be what we aspire to.
the difference between Cap and Kal is, Cap has no Actual powers, just enhanced strength and senses and Sacrifices him self every time he goes into battle.
Thor is a warrior like Zod, yet there would be no way Zod would be worthy of Mjolnir, because he would commit Geneocide to save a race, also the slight Difference in Beta Ray Bill being worthy, he wouldn't commit genocide to save his own race either.

....to every King.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #175
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Yeah. Cap is the Leader and Inspiration, Thor is the Big Gun. That said, I'm okay with the Hulk being slightly brickier, the movies so far have been pretty good at showing that Thor has plenty of other stuff on top of that.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote