The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #276
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Speculation?

Personally, I'm not sure if the studio would shell out the money for the special effects required for the Sentinels. It's not like First Class was a supermassive hit and X-Men franchise never really had anything of this scale.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #277
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Personally, I'm not sure if the studio would shell out the money for the special effects required for the Sentinels. It's not like First Class was a supermassive hit and X-Men franchise never really had anything of this scale.
Yeah, money is the main reason why we havnt and probably wont see Sentinles anytime soon. Although First Class was well reviewed and had good word of mouth so I think Fox would be more confident to throw a bit more cash at it.

Last edited by def28; 04-05-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #278
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
From past debates on this board you know were my thoughts are on this subject.However Fox On bluray special features did try to explan away the Xavier walking problem as well as Insting Silverfox's sister was actully Emma Frost using telepathic powers to have everyone else see her as teenager,and well as saying Victor Creed from Wolverine does become Sabretooth In first X-Men.

The Wolverine Is doing all It can to distance Itself from Wolverine.If the deadpool film Is actully made(and that Is a major big If) for It to be called part of X-Men film series you have to Ignore Wolverine(Inless Fox tries to recon and say weapon XI wasn't really Deadpool.Deadpool was only at beging of film)

Matthew vaughn clealry blurs line between Prequel and reboot.But It's clear the only past X-men films that First Class In prequel way Connect to are Bryan Singer's films.Makes sense since Singer Is producer and with Superman returns he did similar thing with Superman III and IV that Is being done now with The Last Stand and Wolverine.

Now If we are lucky and Avengers Is big smash maybe Fox will give Vaughn more money for action Sequences.Imagne a X-Men VS Brotherhood battle In streets of new York or
a Mutant VS Sentinles battle.Vaughn proved In firsst Class he can do exciting action and actully tell a good cohent story that people like.

I am still of the school of X2 being the best and maybe the sequel can be the X2 of this trilogy.
I really doubt that the level of success of The Avengers is going to have any impact on XFC2.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #279
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

On the issue of the scope of the movies, Sentinels were planned to be included at the Alkali Lake battle. Of course, it didn't fit the budget. But the scope has always been intimately huge. Meaning the effects of the plots have been massive, but the films haven't.

X-Men - Magneto had a plan to turn the world's leaders into mutants, aiding in his ultimate scheme for mutants' reign over humanity.
X2 - Dark Cerebro was seconds away from killing all mutants and all humans.
The Last Stand - Magneto uses the Cure to fuel his army. It's assumed, once he destroys the source of the cure, that he and his massive army would continue to bring humanity down. And the Phoenix's powers were destroying massive amounts of people as well as an entire island. It's assumed she would have continued on to destroy the world.
Wolverine - Er, well...
First Class - Shaw's ultimate plan was to pit humans against each other, ending in mass nuclear warfare, believing mutants to be the only survivors.

So, with all the films (except Wolverine,) there were huge things happening that would have had even bigger effects had they not been foiled by the X-Men... or Wolverine.

Some of the films - more than others - made their stories work with the budget, not against it.

So huge scopes, just not huge robots.

Last edited by The Original Bamfer; 04-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #280
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Are people really only thinking that the building sized Sentinels would be the kind the movie would go after? Or that they're the only kind of Sentinels from the comics?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #281
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I am thinking If they would use sentinels they might cut them down to human size.
Some might complain about It.But,It might be only way to get Sentinles In films.
Bryan Singer wanted to use Sentinels for X2 but they were casulty of budget.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #282
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

x-men has a potential to a huge franchise. it's like avengers. a team with superpowers and they have a huge amount of different kind of villains. if enough money was pumped in from beginning, they could have made a lot of money. but due to budget cuts and too much grounding of characters and their powers, they are just mediocre movies, with nothing special to offer.
really a shame.
when x-men was first announced i was very excited. i was a huge fan of the 90's cartoon and was hoping they would incorporate some of the great stories and i was expecting a visual spectacle, but at the end it was all a big disappointment.
now i dont even care that much for it anymore because i know that fox will greenlight the sequel at the last moment so there will not be enough time. there will be budget constrains as usual. the origin was allready quite bad and now they just keep fixing stuff that cannot be fixed.
if marvel will ever get the rights back, then my enthousiasm will come back as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #283
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

This isn't a lounge. Stick to the topic.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #284
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am thinking If they would use sentinels they might cut them down to human size.
Some might complain about It.But,It might be only way to get Sentinles In films.
I would like to see them slightly larger then humans just for intimidation reasons, but yeah I figure Stay Puft size Setinels wont happen.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #285
Angamb
Banned User

I think if they twice human size, it would look cool enough.

Less is nothing.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #286
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

They could do It somewhat larger than humans but not the giant ones.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #287
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Yeah, massive ones aren't necessary. But they have to be a good several feet taller than a person. Otherwise, it'll look like it's just mutants fighting robots. Sentinels were supposed to bring fear to mutants and a decent size was responsible for a good part of their intimidation.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #288
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Making a 32 feet tall humanoid robot isn't really impossible nowadays. I think having at least 2 sentinels that height wouldn't raise the budget all that much. TF2 had 42 models running around for example.

I for one would love to see the X-Men along with Magneto and the brotherhood bringing them down.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #289
def28
Side-Kick

Magneto ****ing up Sentinels is the main reason I want to see them on screen.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #290
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I want nothing less than tall, lumbering, giant sentinels scanning for mutants and crashing though roofs to grab them by using mecha-tentacles from the palms of their truck sized hands while shooting fricking purple lasers from their massive Aztec heads.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #291
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

A little off-topic but anyone check out the comments under the jennifer lawrence announcement on the main page?

About half of them if not more are pretty much bashing frist-class. I though this film had a pretty good public response? i liked it.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #292
def28
Side-Kick

It had a very good response from most fans and critics. Theres always gonna be bashing involved with Fox and since First Class strays away from the comics a bit people will attack it for that. I know a few who despise it.

Its a solid flick, not perfect and also not really the X Men adaptation I wanted but I thought it was well made and acted for the most part. Some of the kids and fight scenes are starting to bother me as I keep watching it. They need a fight scene that stands out as much as the Nightcrawler intro and Wolv VS Deathstrike fight of X2. I would also like to see some adult X Men as well on the team, not just Teens. I dont think thats gonna happen though.

Last edited by def28; 04-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #293
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Last time I checked, it had a very high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics loved it. And it was successful.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #294
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It Is nothing.It Is always those who are marvel studio fanboys who always complain.They argue Fox should just give Marvel the X-Men rights like any studio would just
hand over a sussessfull franchise.

over at Totten Tomatoes X-men has a 84 percent rating.first CLass a 87 percent rating and X2 a 88 Percent rating.The core films In franchise have good ratings.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #295
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
A little off-topic but anyone check out the comments under the jennifer lawrence announcement on the main page?

About half of them if not more are pretty much bashing frist-class. I though this film had a pretty good public response? i liked it.
The comments section on the front page of SHH is like that on some other sites (such as CBM and AICN) - full of Beavis & Butthead types. Best avoided in my view. There is such negativity that you can easily start to feel turned against ANY project that they cover.

The thing with the X-Men franchise that gets the diehard fanboys in such a tiz is the deviation from source material.

They conveniently forget that Marvel's own releases stray from source too. It would be ridiculous for anyone to have a tantrum over the Avengers not beginning like the comic book with a Loki-controlled Hulk going on the rampage and an initial 'team' of Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp and Iron Man turning up to stop it. Captain America didn't join for the next four issues, Hawkeye didn't come in until issue 16 and Black Widow not until issue 29 - when she was not a team member but an opponent sent to destroy the team by the Russians.

And Thor doesn't have an earthly alter-ego as a disabled doctor who bangs his cane on the ground to transform. We won't be seeing that in the Avengers.

This is where fanboy arguments fall apart. That's because they are never based in logic, fairness or common sense.

The additional thing with X-Men is the nature of the series, which has evolved one film at a time, with different directors and writers. That means the continuity is loose.

I doubt First Class would automatically be any better if the original five were included and it were declared a relaunch. It would just be confusing for mainstream viewers.

I have never heard any mainstream viewers complain about the character line-up in First Class. The only thing that mainstream viewers (people at work) mentioned to me is that Xavier was paralysed and yet is standing at the end of Wolverine - and that was pointed out by one person who happened to watch all the films together when the DVD came out.

I think it's a delicate balance of sticking to continuity and ignoring continuity. But I would hope they map out the First Class series so it at least has its own internal consistency.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #296
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Thank You!Someone else can see the point I have made In past.To blame Bryan Singer
and Matthew Vaughn for contunity Changes from Comic Books but Ignore changes Marvel
Studios have made.I never heard anyone say Sam Rami ruined SPider-Man like they
have with SInger convently forgetting X-Men payed the way for the rest of films.Even
Kevin Feige has said the 2 most Important Marvel Films have been X-Men(which proved a Marvel film could be made well and be a success) as well as Iron Man.The Avengers won't be earth's mightest heroes but a Shield unit like the Ultimates.Yet this Is being
called The Avengers and not the Ultimates.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #297
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I never heard anyone say Sam Rami ruined SPider-Man like they have with SInger convently forgetting X-Men payed the way for the rest of films..
Raimi got alot of hate for Spidey 1 changes and Spider-Man 3. More hate there then Singers 2 X-Men movies imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I doubt First Class would automatically be any better if the original five were included and it were declared a relaunch. It would just be confusing for mainstream viewers.

I have never heard any mainstream viewers complain about the character line-up in First Class.
Thats the one thing I have heard mainstream viewers complain about. Not because it isnt the original team in comic continuity but because they have no idea who the X team in the FC movie are besides a few. Ive heard "who are these characters" and "where is Cyclops?" quite a few times. They want to see their favorites and what they are familiar with. I think the movie would have benefited at least box office wise with a full reboot cause they would have been able to use X-Men favs that the general audience knows and already likes. Dont know if it would have been a better flick, but Im prety sure it would have got more people there. Everythings a reboot these days, general audiences get that. Its not confusing. Explaining X Continuity comic or film is a bigger headache for them. I dont think they care either way, everyone just wants a good film.

Last edited by def28; 04-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #298
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

I remember watching youtube reviews of XFC's trailers and the fanboys absolutely hated everything they saw, from the mutant lineup to the fact that the movie wasn't following the plot of the First Class comic series. I'm sure they still loathe the movie.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #299
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I have seen more hate for X-men films than I ever did for Spider-Man.

Hollywood Is far too reboot crazy nowadays.Why spend money for tickets and DVD/Blu-rays when In a few years they will no longer be relvent.

If Fox would reboot X-men It would have had to can The Wolverine just as It do the SIlver Surfer spinoff when they decided to reboot fantastic four.

Now having Ryan reynolds play Deadpool again In film which Ignores Wolverine.Just as I have always said Keeping Judi Dench as M after rebooting Bond Is bad Idea.

Ax X-Men reboot wouldn't sastify everyone.I gurantee you If they did wolverine would be major character.Fox Gave First class almost twice the money they did first X-Men and that still didn't sastify them.There will never be X-film with just the original lineup.And X-Men didn't became the success In Comics till Wolverine,Storm,Colossus,and Nightcrawler were Introduced.

And even If FOx should gave up rights as some want there Is no gurantee Marvel would do a perfectly faithfully film.Marvel and not Fox did the Wolverine and the X-Men animated show which downplayed Characters like Cyclops and Storm.Marvel clealry doesn't think the 616 universe Is good enough anymore and there are always elements pulled from Ultimate Comics.And In Hulk they more and more think Comic Bruce Banner Isn't good enough and pull from TV show where the name Bruce Is only seen briefly on tombstone.Marvel might not even use Jean grey again In film.

You would never have seen Xavier and Magneto as Young men In reboot.

Considering Marvel can't do anything non Avengers related It would be years till we would see an X-Men film from them.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #300
JP
Smelly

Funny, I thought a sequel was probably never going to happen... and if it did Jennifer Lawrence would never be in it?

Either way, glad Singer, Vaughn, Goldman, Lawrence, Fassbender, and McAvoy are all on board.

Closed Thread