The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #301
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Speculation?

I'm guessing Vaughn will get his buddy Dexter Fletcher in the First Class sequel. Fletcher is in all of Vaughn's movies and was supposed to play Moria's CIA partner but he couldn't because he was directing his own movie Wild Bill at the same time.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #302
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If Fox would reboot X-men It would have had to can The Wolverine just as It do the SIlver Surfer spinoff when they decided to reboot fantastic four.

Now having Ryan reynolds play Deadpool again In film which Ignores Wolverine.Just as I have always said Keeping Judi Dench as M after rebooting Bond Is bad Idea.

Ax X-Men reboot wouldn't sastify everyone.I gurantee you If they did wolverine would be major character.Fox Gave First class almost twice the money they did first X-Men and that still didn't sastify them.There will never be X-film with just the original lineup.And X-Men didn't became the success In Comics till Wolverine,Storm,Colossus,and Nightcrawler were Introduced.
I disagree. They make their own rules with whats cannon in their movieverse. The Wolverine would have been released regardless as would have a Magneto or First Class movie. Even though X Men didnt reach its peak in popularity till later Cyclops, Jean Grey, Ice Man and Angel are all part of that popularity. Doesnt matter if they werent in the 60s, or when Storm and Wolverine came out. They are the most well known now. Thats who the general audience knows and likes. Original team members doesnt mean anything to the mainstream audience but well known characters do. Would have made fans happy as well cause it is the original team. As long as the movie was/ is good most will not care if its a relaunch or a loose prequel/sequel. It needs to work on its own and luckily First Class does. It doesnt fully rely on the other 4 films.

Last edited by def28; 04-06-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #303
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I disagree. They make their own rules with whats cannon in their movieverse. The Wolverine would have been released regardless as would have a Magneto or First Class movie. Even though X Men didnt reach its peak in popularity till later Cyclops, Jean Grey, Ice Man and Angel are all part of that popularity. Doesnt matter if they werent in the 60s, or when Storm and Wolverine came out. They are the most well known now. Thats who the general audience knows and likes. Original team members doesnt mean anything to the mainstream audience but well known characters do. Would have made fans happy as well cause it is the original team. As long as the movie was/ is good most will not care if its a relaunch or a loose prequel/sequel. It needs to work on its own and luckily First Class does. It doesnt fully rely on the other 4 films.
But, still, it's nice to new some new and different characters added to the mix rather than repeating the same mutants over and over. I'm a huge fan of Storm but didn't want to see her in First Class. Maybe she could be added in later firms as they move towards the present day, but I don't need to see her right now.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #304
Angamb
Banned User

I agree.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #305
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But, still, it's nice to new some new and different characters added to the mix rather than repeating the same mutants over and over. I'm a huge fan of Storm but didn't want to see her in First Class. Maybe she could be added in later firms as they move towards the present day, but I don't need to see her right now.
Yeah, definitely. Not saying all new characters are a bad thing at all or that they needed a full line up of the most popular characters. I do think the mainstream audience reacts stronger to characters they know and had they been members of the original team the film would have benefited from it someway or another.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #306
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

A large point I was trying to make Is a reboot has downside to It.And even then It would he hard pleasing everybody.Many of the more popular X-Men weren't added till later.And
In reboot If anyone really think they wouldn't have character like Wolverine and Storm who helped make the X-Men popular to please some who online who keep complaing
about them not using the first lineup they are crazy.The Avengers:earth Mightest Heroes animated show has been faithful to Avengers comic history than the film will be.
And even at Marvel no gurantee Cyclops wouldn't be underused.Marvel and not Fox when they did the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series made decsion to downplay other characters for Wolverine.And as long as the sequels to first Class are still designed as prequels to Bryan Singer's films Wolverine can't come In except for a cameo.I always heard that complaint and some are keep saying they want a reboot which can lead to Wolverine taking attention again.

In X-Men First Class you got characters from Comics from the 60's,70's,80's,and 2000's

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #307
Angamb
Banned User

to those worried about the not so big boxoffice of First Class:

This is just the beggining of a new trilogy (if not something bigger).

They have two more sequels at least to have a bigger impact worldwide.

The sequel has many posibilities to be the most grossing x-men movie ever.

First Class was the second most grossing movie internationally, so if the sequel gets +230M $ both in USA and Internationally, it will be the most grossing x-men movie to date.

So we dont need to worry about the characters involved in the first two movies.

By the time Fox release the third one, we can easily have one of the biggest movies of the year. Time will tell.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #308
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Fallout from the Last Stand and wolverine hurt the US Box office.Overseas first Class Is second highest grossing film In franchise.First Class has sold very well on DVD and
Blu-Ray.Odds are some didn't see first Class In theatres but did at Home.Just Like X2 the sequel has poential to be bigger than previous film.Look at how much better The Dark Knight did than Batman begins.While some of that was heath Ledger's tragic death there were some who didn't see Batman Begins In theatres but did on DVD.

I am really hope for a memorial Day 2014 release.Putting X-Men In a holiday release would be great for Box office,and would create attention.And I certinly hope the threat of a Marvel Studios film for may that Marvel and IDsney won't even announce yet(Since the Captain America Sequel Is coming in april the second one of 2014 will probally be Ant-Man or Dr Strange)

back In 2000 the general audence didn't know X-Men(except for COmic Book fans and those who watched the 1990's animated series) and the mostly new team didn't hurt foreign Box office.If Fox does the job with marketing they did with X2 and The Last Stand the sequel could be huge success.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #309
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
A large point I was trying to make Is a reboot has downside to It.And even then It would he hard pleasing everybody.Many of the more popular X-Men weren't added till later.And
In reboot If anyone really think they wouldn't have character like Wolverine and Storm who helped make the X-Men popular to please some who online who keep complaing
about them not using the first lineup they are crazy.
So your saying they would never use Scott, Jean, Iceman and Angel unless Storm and Wolverine are in it?

Since the films a hit, I really dont see a downside in either it being a preuel or reboot. I think it would have been a success at the box office either way even if Wolverine was the focus again, that wouldnt have hurt it mainstream audiences love the guy. I personally just dont like the whole loose prequel thing. I get why others do, and connecting it to other movies makes for a better whole experience to some. I do give Fox some credit for sticking through it with a 6 th film.
Quote:
Fallout from the Last Stand and wolverine hurt the US Box office.Overseas first Class Is second highest grossing film In franchise.First Class has sold very well on DVD and
Blu-Ray.Odds are some didn't see first Class In theatres but did at Home.Just Like X2 the sequel has poential to be bigger than previous film.Look at how much better The Dark Knight did than Batman begins.While some of that was heath Ledger's tragic death there were some who didn't see Batman Begins In theatres but did on DVD.
Yeah I expect the sequel do do much better at the box office.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #310
The Original Bamfer
Sassneto

Well, we know it's not a reboot. A partial one, I would say. It rewrote what it wanted to, but it's got unmistakeable cues to the original trilogy. Going on, creating a sequel that ignores the first trilogy (or at least the first two movies ) would make for a lot of wasted effort on behalf of those who worked to make First Class part of Singer's world; the Magneto origin scene, Raven's blue form (and being naked,) Jackman's Wolverine, Cerebro sequence, the X-Jet, etc... It just didn't feel like a reboot, it felt like Singer's X-Films, save for the sharper pacing. If they wanted to reboot it, they should have gone guns blazing like Spidey's new flick. But they knew how good Singer's films were. I mean, they created the formula for the modern superhero movie. They should just build upon their loose (aka "ignoring The Last Stand and Wolverine") prequels. So, no, no Iceman. Jean and Cyclops at some point. Angel's a very big maybe for me. Only because his ability and his character are not nearly as interesting as others. If they wanted to, they could use him, though. I don't think any more contradictions to X3 will hurt the continuity more than First Class's have. I mean, I'd love to see a rebooted Blob in the Brotherhood since Magneto doesn't currently have any muscle. I guess my point is, a full-on reboot would bother me because I still enjoy the first two films so much, and First Class fits pretty well into their continuity. I want a sequel that will too. And as long as they don't use characters like Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, etc.., they should be fine.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #311
def28
Side-Kick

I can definitely see why it makes it better for fans of X1 an 2 to look at the films that way. I also think its pretty cool how Fox got Singer back. Ive never been big on X1 or enjoy X2 as much as others do so Im sure that has alot to do with how I view First Class. I see inconsistencies in all the films to First Class so I never got why X3 and XMOW would be taken out (besides being unliked) but not X1 and 2. FC felt alot different then Singers films to me.It had an old almost campy spy flick thing goen on at times with a more upbeat, tone, humor and look. Singers were much darker and kind of a melancholy tone. Maybe thats just cause of the time period takes place in, it felt very different from the previous films besides the intro with young Magneto and some visual similarities in character choices. Im curious on if they are gonna change anything else or lay more ground to X1 an 2.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #312
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:

I am really hope for a memorial Day 2014 release.Putting X-Men In a holiday release would be great for Box office,and would create attention.And I certinly hope the threat of a Marvel Studios film for may that Marvel and IDsney won't even announce yet(Since the Captain America Sequel Is coming in april the second one of 2014 will probally be Ant-Man or Dr Strange)

back In 2000 the general audence didn't know X-Men(except for COmic Book fans and those who watched the 1990's animated series) and the mostly new team didn't hurt foreign Box office.If Fox does the job with marketing they did with X2 and The Last Stand the sequel could be huge success.
My personal theory is this:

. "First Class 2":

US: $200M (probably more)
Int: $250M (at least)
Total: +$450M

- "First Class 3":

US: $250M (at least)
Int: $300M (possibly)
Total: +$550M

The third movie will probably end between 500-600M worldwide, that would be pretty great for an x-men movie.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #313
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

First Class works very well as Prequel to Bryan Singer's films.Singer himself said they were trying to be true to timeline of past films(He never said which films exactly) with
some liberties being taken.X-Men Is hardly first franchise to take liberties with things said about past.Watching First Class,X-Men,and X2 they fit very well together.And with
Singer contuning to produce these prequels their take on Contunity will continue.Keeping In line as much as possable with X-men and X2.Ignoring The Last Stand and Wolverine.
Now If you say X-Men and X2 take place In Mid 1990's for third film If you jump to mid 1970's you can have teenage versions of Cyclops,Jean,and Storm then.They have luxury of taking characters from The Last Stand or Wolverine and using then.They could use Blob for brotherhood.They could use Psylocke as a new X-Man.Angel could be used for third film I am not sure about that.Fox neve tried to claim First Class as reboot.Their entire marketing campagin was built on showing Xavier and Magneto as young men.
Since 99 percent of the time I hate reboots I like the approach they took.Let's also Remember X-Men revived the genere of comic book films after Batman and robin basiclly killed It.It was also proof a big budget film based on a Marvel Comic could be successful.Even Marvel Itself has said X-Men payed the way for It to be able to do It's own films.
Singer's style of trying to make the comic book world fit Into a semirealistic world has been copyed by others.Most noticably Chris nolan and Jon Favrau.Now If Singer had been given the budget they did he could have done more.He had to make X-Men for 75 Million.And X2 Is considered one of best comic book films ever.Matthew Vaughn said he rewatched X2 again closly to prepare for first Class.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #314
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
Well, we know it's not a reboot. A partial one, I would say. It rewrote what it wanted to, but it's got unmistakeable cues to the original trilogy. Going on, creating a sequel that ignores the first trilogy (or at least the first two movies ) would make for a lot of wasted effort on behalf of those who worked to make First Class part of Singer's world; the Magneto origin scene, Raven's blue form (and being naked,) Jackman's Wolverine, Cerebro sequence, the X-Jet, etc... It just didn't feel like a reboot, it felt like Singer's X-Films, save for the sharper pacing. If they wanted to reboot it, they should have gone guns blazing like Spidey's new flick. But they knew how good Singer's films were. I mean, they created the formula for the modern superhero movie. They should just build upon their loose (aka "ignoring The Last Stand and Wolverine") prequels. So, no, no Iceman. Jean and Cyclops at some point. Angel's a very big maybe for me. Only because his ability and his character are not nearly as interesting as others. If they wanted to, they could use him, though. I don't think any more contradictions to X3 will hurt the continuity more than First Class's have. I mean, I'd love to see a rebooted Blob in the Brotherhood since Magneto doesn't currently have any muscle. I guess my point is, a full-on reboot would bother me because I still enjoy the first two films so much, and First Class fits pretty well into their continuity. I want a sequel that will too. And as long as they don't use characters like Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, etc.., they should be fine.
I agree with that for the most part.

I think:

1) Cyclops introduced at very end of third film to set up next FC trilogy. I think that ignoring the Cyclops story in XMO:Wolverine may prove tricky though. Better to not contradict it. Have Xavier learn of Cyclops' existence by mind-scanning Havok who mentions dreams/repressed memories of long-lost brother. Then introduce Cyclops at school in surprise reunion with Havok. Xavier says he has been rescued, no more details, so it sort of doesn't contradict Wolverine.

2) Jean also introduced at very end of third film to set up next FC trilogy. Xavier feels psychic energy spike when her friend Annie dies. Then we see her at the school with Cyclops and see a hint of attraction between them.

3) do not include Iceman or the Warren Worthington Angel, or Rogue. Maybe add in Archangel (metal wings) in that planned X4/X5 set in future.

4) Storm introduced in next trilogy as part of Shadow King storyline (similar but not identical to 90s animated series). Shadow King possesses Storm, causes massive weather disruption over Africa, Xavier senses mutant power spike on Cerebro. Xavier vs Shadow King in massive astral plane battle.

5) New characters in second film: Polaris (less powerful than Magneto, but has electromagnetic powers that unlike Magneto are not just limited to metal). Can create visibly crackling forcefield (as wall or bubble) from oxygen atoms in air (oxygen being paramagnetic). Can temporarily counteract Magneto's powers with reverse polarity fields. Can sense electromagnetic fields and spectrum (and thus sense Magneto's location by unnatural disruptions to earth's field). Can detect Azazel's teleportation paths (which go along magnetic lines of force; this is like Magneto in comics sensing where Nightcrawler would materialise in his first battle with new X-Men). Leaves team with Havok in third film; they say the life of 'war' isn't for them and want to build a life together away from mankind's prejudices and the constant battles of being an X-Man.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #315
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

for the most part I like this the question will be will Fox keep prequels going beyond three films.Will they do X/X5(or If Bryan Singer direct them sequels to X-Men and X2) If they
do them would they after them do second prequel trilogy.There might be pressure to do Cyclops and Jean as major new addations to third film.I could defently see for third film some of characters Introduced In First Class gone to make way for younger versions of characters seen In earlier films.One possable ending for trilogy If Fox Is willing to contunire with a second trilogy Is a reconned first meeting between Xavier and young Jean Grey.If say X-men and X2 take place In mid 1990's.The first class sequel takes
place In mid 1960'sand the third film takes place In early 1970's you could have a 12 year old Jean.And In possable second prequel trilogy(possably made after X4/X5) you
could be In late 1970's nad have a 17 year old Jean and also Introduce a 17 year old Cyclops early on In second prequel trilogy.I personally have doudts they will try to not
conterdict Wolverine's version of teenage Cyclops.But,they could simply start with him already at mansion.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #316
def28
Side-Kick

The one thing I really hope First Class improves on is better fights between mutants. If they do go against the brotherhood then Beast, Havok and Banshee are gonna get their ass kicked. They were lucky Azazel didnt use his swords like he did earlier and that Mystique saved Beast. They are gonna need more then one new member. At least two. Hopefully they choose good contrasts and a bit even match ups for the mutants. Emma Vs Prof X is really the only match up I think could bring something new that we havnt seen with the characters that are left.

Last edited by def28; 04-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #317
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well I think we will see the X-Men train more.I think we may see early version of Danger room.This will be or elike one where a bunch of stuff was at them and no Holographic dangers.We know they will get a new member.I am betting on Polaris for that.Beast,Havok,banshee are good characters of this lineup.They just have to train more.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #318
def28
Side-Kick

During the time inbetween films I would assume Prof X would find more then one other mutant. Right now its 6 against 4 and Prof X wont be doing much to lead them in battle this time. Magneto alone can destroy them with a flick of the wrist which is always the case in these films but even with out him they would still get worked. They will need some pretty intense training in that Danger room.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #319
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
The one thing I really hope First Class improves on is better fights between mutants. If they do go against the brotherhood then Beast, Havok and Banshee are gonna get their ass kicked. They were lucky Azazel didnt use his swords like he did earlier and that Mystique saved Beast. They are gonna need more then one new member. At least two. Hopefully they choose good contrasts and a bit even match ups for the mutants. Emma Vs Prof X is really the only match up I think could bring something new that we havnt seen with the characters that are left.
Yes, indeed.

I don't care if we see Angel (Zoe kravitz) or Riptide again, I don't think they have much more to offer and were clearly only there for a visual element rather than anything narratively significant.

So...how about...

X-Men

Beast (out of final battle, zapped by Polaris, see below)
Banshee (+ Dazzler = dazzling laser light show, Emma turns to diamond instinctively to defend herself and inadvertently makes the light show worse by reflection/refraction from her diamond form)
Havok (versus Sunspot, defeats him by reversing energy flow and absorbing Sunspot's power)
Xavier (versus Emma Frost)
Dazzler
Thunderbird (tweaked into speedster with thundery sonic boom, to justify name) or Cannonball (versus Azazel)

Brotherhood

Magneto
Emma Frost
Sunspot
Polaris
(defects to X-Men)
Azazel
Mystique
(morphs into various X-Men to cause confusion/distraction)

Polaris - at first with Magneto, believes he is her father (as in comics) because of similar mutation and because she been sensing his powers (she is attuned to electromagnetic fields). Then defects when Xavier reveals truth. But not before she zaps Beast with massive 'static charge' (as Magneto did in comics), putting him out of the final battle. Then, once with X-Men, helps defeats Azazel by detecting his teleportation path along magnetic lines of force and telling Cannonball/Thunderbird where to clobber him as he materialises.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 04-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #320
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Could someone catch me up on this? I'm guessing a sequel has been confirmed. I realllly want Physlock, Pixie, a young Nightcrawler and Sunfire to turn up

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #321
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
Could someone catch me up on this? I'm guessing a sequel has been confirmed. I realllly want Physlock, Pixie, a young Nightcrawler and Sunfire to turn up
Yep, sequel confirmed ages ago. Seems it will start filming in January 2013. No cast/story details known yet.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #322
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, indeed.

I don't care if we see Angel (Zoe kravitz) or Riptide again, I don't think they have much more to offer and were clearly only there for a visual element rather than anything narratively significant.

So...how about...

X-Men

Banshee (+ Dazzler = dazzling laser light show, Emma turns to diamond instinctively to defend herself and inadvertently makes the light show worse by reflection/refraction from her diamond form)
Havok (versus Sunspot, defeats him by reversing energy flow and absorbing Sunspot's power)
Dazzler
Thunderbird (tweaked into speedster with thundery sonic boom, to justify name) or Cannonball (versus Azazel)

Brotherhood

Magneto
Emma Frost
Sunspot
Polaris
(defects to X-Men)
Azazel
Mystique
(morphs into various X-Men to cause confusion/distraction)

Polaris - at first with Magneto, believes he is her father (as in comics) because of similar mutation and because she been sensing his powers (she is attuned to electromagnetic fields). Then defects when Xavier reveals truth. But not before she zaps Beast with massive 'static charge' (as Magneto did in comics), putting him out of the final battle. Then, once with X-Men, helps defeats Azazel by detecting his teleportation path along magnetic lines of force and telling Cannonball/Thunderbird where to clobber him as he materialises.
They gotta bring in The Juggernaut.

Its one of Vaughn's favorite characters too.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #323
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Thing is, I would love a reboot. But I thought some of the cast were perfect for their characters. The majority of 1st Class cast were. And Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto were amazingly portrayed.
I do want to see an X4. However I think everyone has forgotten about X1 and onwards. I just realllllyyy want to see Age of Apocalypse. Although if I'm wishing, I'd wish Fox would let Marvel Studios buy the X franchise and do some bad ass crossovers!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #324
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, indeed.

So...how about...

X-Men
Dazzler

Brotherhood

Magneto
Emma Frost
Sunspot
Polaris
(defects to X-Men)
Azazel
Mystique
(morphs into varous X-Men to cause confusion/distraction)

Definitely Cannonball or even Warpath instead of Thunderbird. Although with Cannonball I cant see them adding another flying character. I could see Forge added to help with the tech stuff in the Mansion. Still hoping for Psylocke in either this or The Wolverine. Doubt shed be in this but ya never know. Psylocke VS Azazel could be cool.

I like that line up for the The Brotherhood alot better then what they have currently. Agreed on Angel and Riptide.

Last edited by def28; 04-07-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #325
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

I'd go for one guy one girl to the X-Men roster.

Chamber and (real)Psylocke

Both are visually interesting