The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #151
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel

I would prefer they ignore all the films prior simply because doing so limits them. However, if that doesn't happen, I'm entirely happy with them only using X1 and X2 as reference points, like they did with First Class.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #152
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I would prefer they ignore all the films prior simply because doing so limits them.

Quote:
However, if that doesn't happen, I'm entirely happy with them only using X1 and X2 as reference points.
I hope they just do what they want and not rely on the other films. But I can see both sides. Im not that big of a fan of X1,2 or 3 so Im neutral on the whole thing. I can def understand the hate from 3 and Origins should never be referenced in another film unless Deadpool is mocking it breaking the 4th wall.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #153
The Morningstar
Banned User

Wasn't Hank McCoy seen on the TV in X-2... as a normal man?

So no, there is nothing linking First Class to X-3. And rightly so.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #154
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

^ wouldn't that agreement more prove, that First Class isn't in continuous with X2...?

tho, I am not trying to argue that x3 is part of the continuous (it doesn't really matter to me either way, I actually did like certain elements of X3, so, I am fine with first class being loosely connected to it, but I am also fine with it taking out of the continuous)

but with that said...
I do have a theory about Hanks human appearance in x2,
as we saw in FC Hank/Beast seemed quite determined to find a cure for him self, resulting in his transformation... I doubt someone that determined would give up so easily, and probably continues to research in to a cure, x2 being set 40 years late, it's not to much of a stretch to think someone as smart as Hank could of found at least a temporary cure in that time, hence his his human look in x2... but it didn't last an he transformed again in between x2 and x3 (there was actually a scene in an early draft of the x2 script explaining this) an this could also explain his different look in x3 from his FC look

so, it can still fit, but it can just as easily ignored

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 02-24-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #155
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
At this point I see First Class as a full reboot.

Only keeping certain chosen elements form X1 and 2 is pretty lame and makes their continuity even more ****ed up then it was. Plus it will ruin any chances for original team members later. The only reason it was mentioned X3 and XMOW arent part of it is to make the fans happy and they shot themselves in the foot from ****ing up characters they wanted to reuse. No general audience or even most fans cant make sense of it. Its either a part of all the X films or none. I think they made First class with the intentions of being both a reboot and a prequel depending on its success, but now since it was a success they can say reboot. Connecting it to other X films is pointless at this point imo. When FC2 is released there will be even more things separating the films continuity to the X trilogy. Everyone can have their opinion, Its impossible to figure out in the end. Reboot with throw backs to the original makes the most sense to me.
I think that is the most likely thing. They didn't know how well it would do, so they hedged their bets.

First Class doesn't align perfectly with X1 or X2 either. (Xavier didn't meet Erik when he was 17, etc).

I see First Class as a restart that kicks off the story where Singer and co would have done if this had been the very first film in the series.

Whether they do anything blatantly contradictory, such as bring in a new male Angel, remains to be seen, but I suspect not (as Zoe Kravitz's character is also called Angel). There are other tales to tell - Sentinels, Sinister, Apocalypse, Omega Red, etc etc etc.

And they could even do a Phoenix tale within the existing continuity - we could see a young Jean Grey with amazing powers and a firebird effect who does something (destroy Sentinels?) that erupts out of control and causes massive harm/damage to people/property. That leads Xavier to restrain her powers (perhaps with the help of other psychics, as happened in the alternate ending of the comic book saga that was published in the graphic novel. Maybe Xavier has to call on Emma Frost and Psylocke to help him install the blocks?).

Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #156
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
wouldn't that agreement more prove, that First Class isn't in continuous with X2...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
First Class doesn't align perfectly with X1 or X2 either. (Xavier didn't meet Erik when he was 17, etc).
Exactly, there isnt enough to really connect it with any of them. The Wolverine cameo was the biggest connection to me and that was just a fun haha cameo nothing to take seriosuly.
Quote:
And they could even do a Phoenix tale within the existing continuity - we could see a young Jean Grey with amazing powers and a firebird effect who does something (destroy Sentinels?) that erupts out of control and causes massive harm/damage to people/property. That leads Xavier to restrain her powers (perhaps with the help of other psychics, as happened in the alternate ending of the comic book saga that was published in the graphic novel. Maybe Xavier has to call on Emma Frost and Psylocke to help him install the blocks?).
Cant believe we have had 5 X Movies and besides a danger room head theres has not been one sentinel. Such a big part of the X Men universe. Cant wait till they decide to add them.

I would like to see Jean, Angel and crew recasted, they missed alot with the characters the first time so I have no problem with that. I dont think they will touch Phoenix again for awhile but FC 2 would get all of my money if it had an Emma an Psylocke VS Phoenix fight.

Last edited by def28; 02-24-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #157
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:

Cant believe we have had 5 X Movies and besides a danger room head theres has not been one sentinel. Such a big part of the X Men universe. Cant wait till they decide to add them.
When Tom Rothman is in dead.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #158
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Keep Sentinels out. There are so many more interesting (and believable) antagonists.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #159
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Keep Sentinels out. There are so many more interesting (and believable) antagonists.
Sentinels wouldnt be the main antagonists. More believable? Really? I just saw a chick turn into diamonds, a flying pixie stripper that vomits acid and and a guy turn into a giant blue cat. Giant Robots are a bit more realistic. Sentinels are a part of everything X-Men.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #160
merbass
Side-Kick

This is X-men movie. It's all about character development. Until Michael Bay direct X-men then please leave sentinels out.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #161
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
This is X-men movie. It's all about character development.
Which is why sentinels should be added at some point.

Why would adding them cut out character development? They should focus on that regardless.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #162
psyonic
X-Man

Man I really want to see the movies to move forward.. with X-Men 4

Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #163
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
This is X-men movie. It's all about character development. Until Michael Bay direct X-men then please leave sentinels out.
its a superhero movie, based on a comic book where some fantastic and unbelievable things happen. and by the way, robots are far more believable than anything else.
and they are a big part of x-men universe. x-men is about discrimination and sentinels represent the human fear to mutants.
also you could have nice conflicts where x-men fight for coexistence with humans and humans are using sentinels to solve mutant problem. then you could have genosha and mutant slaves. i thing that fits in x-uneverse perfectly. x-movies do need a bit more fantasy elements anyway.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #164
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I see no problem with Sentinels, at some point.

But whether they belong in the next First Class movie is another matter. As I keep saying, the important thing is what story it wants to tell.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #165
Angamb
Banned User

The Sentinels would be the perfect finale of this trilogy.

They would bring the biggest spectacle, so the most epic battle should be the one from "third class"

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #166
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Exactly, there isnt enough to really connect it with any of them. The Wolverine cameo was the biggest connection to me and that was just a fun haha cameo nothing to take seriosuly.

I would say that using the entire opening sequence from X-Men, and building the entire foundation of your main story from plot elements from the first film as a much stronger connection than a Wolverine cameo.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #167
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I would say that using the entire opening sequence from X-Men, and building the entire foundation of your main story from plot elements from the first film as a much stronger connection than a Wolverine cameo.
Very true on the opening sequence. Mimicked X1 very well. The rest isnt enough for me to look at is as an official prequel. Too many things contradict eachother. Its a flick that can be a reboot or loose prequel depending on how you want to look at it imo.

Last edited by def28; 02-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #168
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There are many connections to first 2 films or trilogy If you would prefer.

The entire opening Is shot by shot recreation of begining of X-Men

Mystique's appearance mirrors that from original films

The sound effects of Mystique morphing Is consent to those from Earlier films.

Michael Fassbender has some tatoo of numbers Ian Mckellan has only they look fresher.

The same sound effects for Magneto's powers are used.

James Mcavoy uses Patrick Stewart's voiceover at begining of X-Men as part of his pickup line

Agent Stryker IS father of William Stryker(adding more connection to X2)

The Idea of Xavier and Magneto working together when Xavier first gathers the X-Men comes not from Comics but from Earlier films.

Cerebro looks like protype of Cerbero from X-Men,and X2

Xavier's searching for mutants IS quite similar to X-Men

Hugh jackman's wolverine Cameo

Xavier and Magneto playing chess Is callback to end of X-Men(before that they didn't have history of playing Chess In comics)

The entire Magneto and Mystique relationship Is from earlier films not comics.

Mystique morphing Into Rebecca Romijn Is call back to X2 when Mystique disguised herself to get Magneto out of prison.

The Blackbird appears as protype of Blackbird In earlier films.

At end James Mcavoy Is In suit and wheelchair Patrick Stewart wore In earlier
films.

Magneto's outfit at end Is cross between Ian Mckellan's outfit and the Jim Lee Drawn Magneto outfit.

Most of liberties taken with First 2 films are from Dialogue taken about past.Many franchises take liberties with dialogue.Now Magneto's helmet I agree Is plothole.One possible way to clarify It Is eventully Xavier becomes too powerful for It and Magneto devolps a more powerful.As for cerebro It's quite possible after they went to mansion off screen Magneto helped Xavier put It In mansion.Very logicil they didn't leave It at CIA headquarters.

The entire marketing campagin was In It being a prequel.All the time on the DVD/Blu-ray special features calling It a prequel.Bryan Singer has called It prequel with Liberties taken.

Fox has tried to explain away on Blu-Ray the plot holes of Xavier walking at end of wolverine and begining of Last stand by saying He was astrol projecting his Image.While I could buy that In wolverine It's harder to buy that In The last Stand.There Is still the problem of Magneto at begining of last stand.And If Cylops and Jean show up In third part of this trilogy I have my doudts they will stick to versions with teenage Cyclops in wolverne and Young Jean at begining of last Stand.Fox has also tried to explan away the publicty material of emma Frost In wolverine by saying Emma uses her telephatic powers to make everything see her as younger on a mission.Now since we never heard the name Emma frost on screen or In credits for Wolverine very easy to just say that was Silverfox's sister.

In one Interview Vaughn called first Class both reboot and prequel.He talked about as first Class was being released of doing series set In 60's,70's and 80's and mentioned these films are all suspose to take place before X-men but didn't know exactly when It was suspose to be set.He also mentioned idea for sequel of doing flashforward with Patrick Stewert and Ian Mckellan.

They may have done a Superman Reurns to The Last Stand and Wolverine.They may simply be reconning certain things.

As for sentinles I have said based on ending of first Class the sequel should be nodd to 1960's comics and have Magneto lead the brotherhood In attacks humans with Xavier and X-Men stading against him.A third film should be when they team up against a threat.Rather It be sentinles or Mr Sinster.Vaughn has mentioned last year keeping the sequel cast largely to returning casr members from First Class.Plus the general public doesn't know the exsistance of mutants yet.If your during the sentinles In films the public has to learn about that first.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #169
def28
Side-Kick

Mystique and Wolverines cameo seemed wink wink. Sound effects, clothing and tats are minimal.They seemed like throwbacks. I still think it can be looked at as both. Not arguing that it cant be looked at either way. I saw it as a safe bet by Fox.

My problem with the whole prequel thing is that people argue X3 and Origins dont exist with continuity, yet they use liberties for tying it to X1 and X2 like with the dialogue, there never seemed to be a relationship established between Mystique and Prof X in the other films, Mccoy is human in X2, Cerebro etc... if these liberties dont dissconnect First Class from X1 an 2 then why isnt that the case for X3 an Origins? Besides fox knowing fans hate them and wanting to make them happy. None of this was set up to make sens from the get go and it doesnt tie in perfectly to any of the movies. So I see it as a prequel to all the X flicks or none.

With Sentinels I just want them in an X Movie. If they show up in FC2 awesome if not all good.

Last edited by def28; 02-27-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #170
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

^Some of those reasons are ridiculous. It's comparable to saying Nolan's Batman is related to past Batman movies because the materials used for the costume is the same.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #171
def28
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by def28; 02-27-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Goen insane thinking bout X continuity.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #172
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Blech, this argument reminds me why I hate loose prequels/reboots. Studios should have the guts to make their movie definitive.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #173
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Arguing about this movie already... Things ARE happening!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #174
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I wouldn't mind seeing Magneto finding Toad and fleshing out that character a bit more. I loved what they did with Ray Park as Toad in the first X-Men.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #175
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Hopefully no more 10 months production crap either. Most of this movie's faults are from it.

Closed Thread