The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Mister J
El Jefe de la Púrpura
SHH! Global Moderator

Default 2011 NCAA Football: Who's Afraid of a National Playoff?

Oye! Oye! After last year's magnanimous gesture, where I allowed someone else to win the Bowl Season Pick 'Em Challenge and be deemed worthy of creating this thread (which, as it turns out, isn't tax deductible ), I have reclaimed the thread-creating throne. My masterful display of intuition and competence was more than enough to scare away the grand majority of those interested and to easily outdistance (read: thrash) those audacious enough to face me. Bow down to the King.

Now, with the pleasantries and modesty out of the way, let's talk NCAA Football.

Allow me to pose a few inquiries that shall fall into our scope during this campaign:
  • What unknowing suspect from a non-elitist conference dare to go undefeated only to be left with a consolation prize to the so-called National Championship Game...which is informally becoming known as the SEC Invitational?
  • Will Urban Meyer manage to commit recruiting violations even though he no longer is coaching?
  • Will Lane Kiffin, refusing to be outdone, trump Meyer on the violations tally?
  • Will Meyer actually get his Favre on again and come back to coaching?
  • Is this the year that sees bowl game participation span to include 75% of all possible D-1A teams with the additions of such future stalwarts as the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bowl, the $9.99 Sizzler Buffet Bowl and the Fruit of the Loom Boxer Briefs (aka The Best of Both Worlds) Bowl?
  • How will the college football infrastructure survive another year without Tim Tebow?
  • After another failed outing and the veritable Kiss of Death resulting from one of his College Gameday picks, will some overreaching alumni base seek to sue Lee Corso for intentional infliction of emotional distress?
  • Will the FCC finally take heed to my letters of complaint regarding Oregon's uniforms?
  • Alternatively, with the recent seizure of varied pirated stream websites by ICE/Homeland Security, do I have other avenues of recourse? (Note: I haven't figured out the connection here, but I'll try anything). (Note 2: I'm inordinately pissed about this... the website seizures and Oregon's uniforms).
It's National Signing Day. Take the time to slam some unwitting 18-year old who dares turn down your favorite institution of higher learning. I've done it before. Feels good.

Off we go!

Do you know how many times we've come close to world war three over a flock of geese on a computer screen? Do you know what triggered the last world war? An argument over how many telegraph poles Germany owed its war debt creditors! Telegraph poles! Ha ha ha ha HA! It's all a joke! Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by Mister J; 02-15-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: It'd help if I used the right words.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
TheOnlyOmega
Banned User

Default Re: 2011 NCAA Football: Who's Afraid of a National Playoff?

Lets go Dawgs

TheOnlyOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Mmm...Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I've been pleading with Boss to get the SuperheroHype.com Presented By Coming Soon Media Bowl going in Houston. No luck yet

Go Dawgs

Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Go Irish. I like what I see of Mr. Brian Kelly so far, and he raked in a pretty darn good recruiting class this year. Back to the BCS!

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Let's go Gamecock...s!

And damn the hype censors!

Recruiting class is shaping up nicely, not a top ten class, but recruiting can be hit or miss sometimes.

Hopefully Carolina can bag Clowney.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Ninja Re: 2011 NCAA Football: Who's Afraid of a National Playoff?

Life just sucks for Mitch Mustain http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6083009

Let's recap, shall we?
  • Spring 2006 - Mustain signs with Arkansas as the #1 QB in America.
  • November 2006 - Houston Nutt relieves Mustain as starter, puts in Casey Dick, who remains starter the rest of the year.
  • January 2007 - Mustain and his mother go whining to coach Nutt about "Let my baby play!". Nutt basically says "There's the door."
  • May 2007 - Mustain transfers to Southern Cal. Sits out a year, as per NCAA rules.
  • 2008 to 2010 - Serves as #3 QB behind Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley. Final result is him having played 9 games over five years.
  • 2011 - While "preparing for the draft", Mustain arrested for suspicion of selling prescription drugs.

Last edited by Immortalfire; 02-04-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Immortalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

I remember thinking the dude was an arrogant little **** when I heard he was transferring just because he couldn't start as a freshman. Think he also left because of Nutt's playcalling, handing the ball off to McFadden and Jones a good percent of the time didn't seem to go with his plans. Glad to see he thrived at Southern Cal's west coast style offense.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
ShivNasty
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalfire View Post
Life just sucks for Mitch Mustain http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6083009

Let's recap, shall we?
  • Spring 2006 - Mustain signs with Arkansas as the #1 QB in America.
  • November 2006 - Houston Nutt relieves Mustain as starter, puts in Casey Dick, who remains starter the rest of the year.
  • January 2007 - Mustain and his mother go whining to coach Nutt about "Let my baby play!". Nutt basically says "There's the door."
  • May 2007 - Mustain transfers to Southern Cal. Sits out a year, as per NCAA rules.
  • 2008 to 2010 - Serves as #3 QB behind Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley. Final result is him having played 9 games over five years.
  • 2011 - While "preparing for the draft", Mustain arrested for suspicion of selling prescription drugs.
I take it that "preparing for the draft" means selling drugs so he can pay his cable bill and catch it on ESPN

ShivNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
Oye! Oye! After last year's magnanimous gesture, where I allowed someone else to win the Bowl Season Pick 'Em Challenge and be deemed worthy of creating this thread (which, as it turns out, isn't tax deductible ), I have reclaimed the thread-creating throne. My masterful display of intuition and competence was more than enough to scare away the grand majority of those interested and to easily outdistance (read: thrash) those audacious enough to face me. Bow down to the King.

Now, with the pleasantries and modesty out of the way, let's talk NCAA Football.

Allow me to pose a few inquiries that shall fall into our scope during this campaign:
  • What unknowing suspect from a non-elitist conference dare to go undefeated only to be left with a consolation prize to the so-called National Championship Game...which is informally becoming known as the SEC Invitational?
  • Will Urban Meyer manage to commit recruiting violations even though he no longer is coaching?
  • Will Lane Kiffin, refusing to be outdone, trump Meyer on the violations tally?
  • Will Meyer actually get his Favre on again and come back to coaching?
  • Is this the year that sees bowl game participation span to include 75% of all possible D-1A teams with the additions of such future stalwarts as the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bowl, the $9.99 Sizzler Buffet Bowl and the Fruit of the Loom Boxer Briefs (aka The Best of Both Worlds) Bowl?
  • How will the college football infrastructure survive another year with Tim Tebow?
  • After another failed outing and the veritable Kiss of Death resulting from one of his College Gameday picks, will some overreaching alumni base seek to sue Lee Corso for intentional infliction of emotional distress?
  • Will the FCC finally take heed to my letters of complaint regarding Oregon's uniforms?
  • Alternatively, with the recent seizure of varied pirated stream websites by ICE/Homeland Security, do I have other avenues of recourse. (Note: I haven't figured out the connection here, but I'll try anything). (Note 2: I'm inordinately pissed about this... the website seizures as Oregon's uniforms).
It's National Signing Day. Take the time to slam some unwitting 18-year old who dares turn down your favorite institution of higher learning. I've done it before. Feels good.

Off we go!
All hail J

allow me to address some of these concerns

- William and Mary

- Urban Meyer will try to form his own team at ESPN and commit recruiting violations for trying to woo Jeanne Zelasko

- Lane Kiffin will use Layla Kiffin as a "hostess" once the NCAA sanctions are lifted....hell, it was her idea

- This year will see the debut of the $5 Footlong Bowl, the Chipotle Butt Blaster Bowl, the Hey, Look..it's Elvis Bowl, and a bowl game who's name will be determined by a rose ceremony on this years 'The Bachelor'

- You don't just get over Tim Tebow....*sniff*

- I would sue the s*** out of Lee Corso...and ask for the Lee Corso head as restitution

- You leave Oregons uniforms alone....you only wish you could come up with such dazzling visuals and unique style

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

I'm already jumping on the W&M bandwagon. Go Tribe!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #11
Tex
Welp

Hook Em Horns! Can't do worse then this past season...right?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

We will call this season "A New Hope" now that Darth RichRod has been vanquished.

Go Blue!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
BlackLantern
Banned User

more Jen Brown please

Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
BlackLantern
Banned User

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...urn=ncaaf-wp39

more fans being a-holes

Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

has anyone here ever played college football or had a relative play?

my uncle was a Hurricane at The U during the 70's. He pretty much had his pick of anywhere in the country to play at, his final choices being Auburn and Miami and Miami is what he chose

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Never had anyone in the family play college ball, but somebody from my home town was a back-up D lineman for USC in the late 90's/early 00's. He was on the team when they beat Ohio State two years in a row in the Outback Bowl and later came back to town to coach at the HS, he always wore both rings and I never seen him without them. He was mostly a special teams player, but it's not too shabby considering he was recruited from a school that only dressed out 22 or so players on Fridays.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Alex The Great
Banned User

Some one in my Step Moms family played ball. I can't remember if he had that career ending injury in HS or College.

Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
TheWatcher
Dapper

My uncles brother in law is a kicker for the Titans. He's from Georgia Southern. Rob Bironas.

-Christian Bale

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Several guys from my high school had good careers at Kentucky and Auburn.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
TheWatcher
Dapper

Which UK player?

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Can't tell you, then you'd know where I am.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

like we don't know where you are already

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Triple Option's taking back the ACC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAMBLIN WRECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #25
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Bump since the spring practice games for a lot of teams are coming up. Anyone actually plan to attend their favorite team's spring outing?