The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #251
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sleeping Dogs

I got the game yesterday from the TRU sale and so far enjoying it. My main issue from the demo was the controls for the shooting mechanics and thankfully so far there arent any guns. I have to say this has the BEST melee fighting in any open world crime game. It blows GTA and SR out of the water in that department in that fighting is actually fun, whereas in those games, Id rather just get a gun to take out my enemies or run them over with my car

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #252
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I always shake my head when I read posts from people on other sites, who say the game sucks simply because there are barely any guns, or there are no gunshops around to buy any. Because you start to realize what most of gaming has really boiled down to nowadays. I honestly don't miss them in this game. Even when I run around with a gun holstered, I'd rather kick my opponents in the face.

Sleeping Dogs may not be the best open world game there is, but it's the most fun I've ever played. And in certain gameplay areas kicks the crap out of GTA.

45 hours in and still going.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #253
Havok83
Side-Kick

No guns so far is a plus to me

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #254
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I always shake my head when I read posts from people on other sites, who say the game sucks simply because there are barely any guns, or there are no gunshops around to buy any. Because you start to realize what most of gaming has really boiled down to nowadays. I honestly don't miss them in this game. Even when I run around with a gun holstered, I'd rather kick my opponents in the face.

Sleeping Dogs may not be the best open world game there is, but it's the most fun I've ever played. And in certain gameplay areas kicks the crap out of GTA.

I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, but I agree! These days, almost every game is about guns and when a game like Sleeping Dogs does its own thing by having free roam that's not as relying on guns as the majority of games, kids complain because they want "headshot!!", "killing spree!!" and "double kill!!" medals. Gah!

I love many shooting games but it's really annoying to see people complain at a game for trying something else.

To me, it seems many of today's gamers are very narrow minded. No offense to whoever said this, but some poster over at the Transformers: Fall of Cybertron thread complained about it having no cover system ala Gears of War. Come on! That's another thing the majority of shooting games now copy. A little break from that doesn't hurt! In fact, from what I've played of the demo, it's a big plus there is no simple "Press A to take cover" system. Instead, you stand behind something and decide which arm to shoot with and that way you can take cover. In many games with the Gears of War cover system some battles just feel too dragged out. In some games it works, but it doesn't hurt to do something else for a change.

Now every 1st person shooter tries to be another Call of Duty by mimicing its style, controls and gameplay. Even Battlefield 3, which series was alot more deep in gameplay, feels like some kind of CoD wannabe.

Almost every gaming kid nowadays want the same damn game with a different name tagged on it. I find that very sad.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #255
Nathan

And it's not like they did it for no reason. As I've found out on the Sleeping Dogs Forum, there's apparently a Ban on Guns in Hong Kong. Getting one isn't easy. It's not like the USA, where you can go grocery shopping, happen to pass a gun shop and go "Hmm... I could use a new semi-automatic."

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #256
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Good rule I must say!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #257
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I got the game yesterday from the TRU sale and so far enjoying it. My main issue from the demo was the controls for the shooting mechanics and thankfully so far there arent any guns. I have to say this has the BEST melee fighting in any open world crime game. It blows GTA and SR out of the water in that department in that fighting is actually fun, whereas in those games, Id rather just get a gun to take out my enemies or run them over with my car
So, we really can't change the controls?

I hope the shooting sections are rare, if so.

Jick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #258
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Not too dependent on guns and aiming?
This game fits me, aiming for shooting guns can be a real bugger in modern games, I will try getting it instead of SR 3rd
Just one question; how does it play when facing guys with guns? Is there an escape like Batman games? Not with grapple or going up, but a fast escape with less damage by bullets

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #259
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post

Nope, controls are predetermined. Luckily the melee combat is soo good, that I think Id rather prefer kicking arse with my fists over bulletts anyway

Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #260
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:

Yea i felt the same way. I thought the gunplay was really good and the slow mo cover leap was really cool, however like you i just never used it unless i had to. I always preferred the hand to hand. Only time i used it outside of like a gun battle was when i was doing a drug bust and the remaining two guys decided to run away, i pulled out my pistol and popped em in the back.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #261
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Not too dependent on guns and aiming?
This game fits me, aiming for shooting guns can be a real bugger in modern games, I will try getting it instead of SR 3rd
Just one question; how does it play when facing guys with guns? Is there an escape like Batman games? Not with grapple or going up, but a fast escape with less damage by bullets

No, theres no quick escape. You can vault cover and take down enemies though.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #262
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post

Theres a handful of them. Theres like 3 or 4 large segments that require you to shoot your way out of and then theres a few of the drug busts that you'll need to use a gun in, but other than that, most of its hand to hand.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #263
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Oh boy, guess I will go in a fit of anger a few times before I get used to it

- ran by great folks
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #264
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
In every single gunfight I would vault over cover, get as many headshots as I could while retreating back behind the same piece of cover during the slow-mo... lol, worked like a charm.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #265
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
And it's not like they did it for no reason. As I've found out on the Sleeping Dogs Forum, there's apparently a Ban on Guns in Hong Kong. Getting one isn't easy. It's not like the USA, where you can go grocery shopping, happen to pass a gun shop and go "Hmm... I could use a new semi-automatic."
They even talk about this IN the game.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #266
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
In every single gunfight I would vault over cover, get as many headshots as I could while retreating back behind the same piece of cover during the slow-mo... lol, worked like a charm.
Haha, i didnt realize how to do the damn slow mo vault until like the last gun fight. I never knew you actually had to aim the damn gun.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #267
Havok83
Side-Kick

Ive played for a few hours and uncustomizable controls aside, I cant think of anything wrong with the game. Its really good, fun and overall well done. I cant beleive Activision passed on this and even more, that this almost didnt come out. Like WTF?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #268
Nathan

I really hope that Square-Enix continues to nurture this and give United Front Games a free hand with whatever they want to do with the franchise. Honestly, I think they really lucked out with Square-Enix. I wonder if any other publisher would have pushed and supported them, to bring out such a quality port for the PC. The game just looks beautiful. The game even supports Eyefinity.

I wish I had the money to afford that setup.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #269
Havok83
Side-Kick

I was surprised that UFG made this bc I associate them as a Sony developer and one for their more cartoony type racing games such as ModNation Racers and the upcoming LBP K. I didnt think they were that big a team to be working on this while doing Sleeping Dogs

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #270
jacobed
Banned User

Rented this game. Eh its alright. I'm not one that loves open world games to begin with. I hate GTA 4 and I like SR3 just because it turned the ridiculous knob up to 11. I like that they tried to adopt Batman's combat engine since I think its the greatest out there. It reminds me of Spiderman and Capt. America where its not as fluid or good as Batman but its still fun and a sequel could really blow the doors open on the fighting. The shooting sucks so thankfully there isn't much of it. I like the story and characters which is a first for me for these big open world city games, gta and sr I just didn't care for any of them. Thankfully I just rented it though because I'm already starting to get bored but its definitely fun and if you're a fan of the big sandbox games this is one of the best on the market

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #271
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Steam offers the demo for download, I'll grab it as soon as I'm done with the APB Reload

- ran by great folks
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #272
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Ive played for a few hours and uncustomizable controls aside, I cant think of anything wrong with the game. Its really good, fun and overall well done. I cant beleive Activision passed on this and even more, that this almost didnt come out. Like WTF?
Im really not surprised Activision passed. They truly dont care about releasing quality products. They just want to release products that will sell quickly and that allow them to do so once a year. Its deff best this game got away from them. They would only of stifled creativity going forward. Hell they tried to with this game in making it part of a franchise it never belonged to.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #273
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I'm a fan of Hong Kong action movies. I definitely need to play this one. I wanted to buy it since it was announced as True Crime. But I can't afford it right now. So I'm glad they put a demo, which I'm downloading now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #274
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Im really not surprised Activision passed. They truly dont care about releasing quality products. They just want to release products that will sell quickly and that allow them to do so once a year. Its deff best this game got away from them. They would only of stifled creativity going forward. Hell they tried to with this game in making it part of a franchise it never belonged to.
I agree, Sleeping Dogs is what the first True Crime game should have been. I'm on my second playthrough and I'm enjoying more than I did the first time, especially since I've gotten the combat and shooting down to a science. Every encounter I get into, I try to go through it flawlessly as if it were an actual movie. For everything they've introduced in this game, I would say in the next game if they can get the combat to move just a tad more fluid and faster, it'll be perfect for me.

As far as the guns go, I'm glad they introduced guns later in the game and not give you one from jump. IMO that would have dumbed the game down by just allowing you to go into any encounter guns blazing. The hand-to-hand combat is where its at and plus....it just doesn't look right sporting a Bruce Lee inspired tracksuit and shooting people, that suit was designed to beat the crap out of people with your hands

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #275
Havok83
Side-Kick

Is it wrong that when I found out Tiffany was cheating on me, I beat her down and left her on the side of the street for dead? She didn't even try to act remorseful when confronted! Don't mess with a Triad!