The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #526
Savage
Earth Rocker

Default Re: Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I like all of the arrows, actually, but aside from that no-look shot (the most impressive one imo), I really like the one arrow he fired at Loki while the target is on that fast-moving chariot. After Loki caught it with a smirk, what comes next was just awesome, and Hawkeye got bit of his revenge with that hit.

Oh, and to have Hawkeye aiming his arrow at Loki just when the God of Mischief woke from his unconsciousness was golden.
I'm still hoping for a hi-res shot of that for a wallpaper.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #527
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

This guy sucks,what trick arrows,like one.They should of had Black Panther instead of this guy in the movie.

GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #528
Savage
Earth Rocker

Nnnothanks to Black Captain America. At least for now. I'll take the badass archer for some diversity in skill sets.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #529
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
This guy sucks,what trick arrows,like one.They should of had Black Panther instead of this guy in the movie.
I can think of seven trick arrows he showed in the movie right off the top of my head.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #530
pyromaniac
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMacQ View Post

That's just PR blather on his part. The mistakes he's making are all things nobody would have changed, like rotating his arm the right way, drawing back completely, lowering his elbow, straightening his wrist, would have made him look more powerful, more dynamic, more superheroic. There is absolutely no reason why Whedon or anyone else would have told him not to shoot properly.

A friend was at the red carpet premiere and asked Renner about it. He told her (off the record) that he'd seen my article and that I was absolutely right, he had no training and didn't know what he was doing. You can bet they will hire a coach for the sequel. You can also bet it won't be me, since I was a jerk to him in public.
Why didn't they let him train properly then? It would not have made a difference; rather it would have helped him to achieve a little more technical realism since they did that with the function of the trick arrows. I'd expect better from Whedon. Tsk.

By the way, what did you think of the film itself and Hawkeye's character?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #531
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
I can think of seven trick arrows he showed in the movie right off the top of my head.
The first arrow he shoots one of the aliens with that fires other projectiles to take out the other aliens around was my favorite.

Renner might have been the least fleshed out of the characters, but he was bad ass in Avengers.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #532
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Hawkeye REALLY surprised me. I kept hearing everyone say that they were disappointed by the amount of attention his character got, so I was surprised to find that he really gets quite a large share of amazing moments. He came out being my 2nd fave of the film. just under Cap

I was worried he wouldn't stand out enough but luckily he had some great moments with Black Widow and during the invasion.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #533
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
Yeah....no.

Anyway, back to the opinions that matter. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised on how much input Hawkeye had. He's one of my favourite Avengers, and Jeremy did his character (and his ass) glory.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #534
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Concept art of Hawkeye from art of the avengers

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #535
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I think we had just the right amount of screen time for Hawkeye...I mean, it is just a dude with a bow and arrows. It's not THAT impressive.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #536
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I think we had just the right amount of screen time for Hawkeye...I mean, it is just a dude with a bow and arrows. It's not THAT impressive.

He officially *does* get the least amount of screen time among the Avengers (yes, somebody counted):

Hawkeye: 12:44

Thor: 25:52

Bruce Banner/The Hulk: 28:03

Black Widow: 33:35

Iron Man: 37:01

Captain America: 37:42

Somebody over at CBM had the tally.

Still, Hawkeye *was* a badass, as everyone keeps saying, and I certainly hope he'll get some more facetime in *some* movie or TV show in the near future.

I was just hoping for more of the smart-ass Clint Barton from the comics; I guess Joss didn't bring out that aspect of the character because Tony already hogs that role in the MCU.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #537
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Hawkeye was more of the stoic guy this time around. Banner/Stark were kind of the deadpan humor, Cap was the red blooded goody two shoes, Thor was the boisterous braggart and drama queen, Widow was the badass chick.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #538
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Still, Hawkeye *was* a badass, as everyone keeps saying, and I certainly hope he'll get some more facetime in *some* movie or TV show in the near future.

I was just hoping for more of the smart-ass Clint Barton from the comics; I guess Joss didn't bring out that aspect of the character because Tony already hogs that role in the MCU.
I think that's just more a result of his story arc in this (being controlled by Loki for a chunk of the movie) than anything else. Given that he did have a couple little snarks ("I suppose if I put an arrow through Loki's eyesocket I might sleep better" "You and I remember Budapest very differently"), combined with the personality he had in his brief Thor cameo, I think in the sequel (or maybe hopefully a SHIELD film?) he'll be allowed to be his usual smart-ass/snarky self

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #539
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I hate this notion some people seem to have that character development equals screentime + exposition. I think Whedon masterfully developed all his characters. If you come away from a film knowing who each character is, then it's mission accomplished and that was definitely the case with Hawkeye. Just because he didn't have a loud argument with Tony Stark or have a flashback scene doesn't mean that wasn't achieved.

You see in his first scene that he's a no-nonsense and competent SHIELD agent, you see from his time
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
as a bad guy that he is extremely skilled as a fighter/soldier
you learn SO much about him just from Widow's scene with Loki, you learn he was a government hitman,
that he had a conscience flare with Natasha and didn't kill her, going on to help pull her out of that life tells you that he's compassionate and about their relationship, you learn from his convo with Natasha that he also has a lot of guilt and you get a taste of his sarcastic, dry wit.
Then you see him hold his own in the final fight scene. When he is standing in the circle with the rest of the Avengers, he has without a doubt earned his place along side those heroes.

Sure, we don't know his whole life story or to the extent of someone like Stark, but considering the other big players along side him and for a character we didn't know anything about, Whedon conveyed a hell of a lot. He showed us enough to understand who he is as a person, empathise with him and left us wanting more of both him and Widow in either their own movie or popping up in someone elses.

This isn't aimed at anyone particular, I've just noticed people complaining here and there across different threads and I thought I'd say my piece :P

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #540
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

My favorite Hawkeye scene was when he shot that trick arrow at Loki and when he caught it, it blew up! LOL

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #541
TheHawkeye
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I hate this notion some people seem to have that character development equals screentime + exposition. I think Whedon masterfully developed all his characters. If you come away from a film knowing who each character is, then it's mission accomplished and that was definitely the case with Hawkeye. Just because he didn't have a loud argument with Tony Stark or have a flashback scene doesn't mean that wasn't achieved.

You see in his first scene that he's a no-nonsense and competent SHIELD agent, you see from his time
as a bad guy that he is extremely skilled as a fighter/soldier
you learn SO much about him just from Widow's scene with Loki, you learn he was a government hitman,
that he had a conscience flare with Natasha and didn't kill her, going on to help pull her out of that life tells you that he's compassionate and about their relationship, you learn from his convo with Natasha that he also has a lot of guilt and you get a taste of his sarcastic, dry wit.
Then you see him hold his own in the final fight scene. When he is standing in the circle with the rest of the Avengers, he has without a doubt earned his place along side those heroes.

Sure, we don't know his whole life story or to the extent of someone like Stark, but considering the other big players along side him and for a character we didn't know anything about, Whedon conveyed a hell of a lot. He showed us enough to understand who he is as a person, empathise with him and left us wanting more of both him and Widow in either their own movie or popping up in someone elses.

This isn't aimed at anyone particular, I've just noticed people complaining here and there across different threads and I thought I'd say my piece :P
THIS!

I don't get all the "WTF, Hawkeye's useless, he's just got a bow and arrows"

You guys are forgetting that Clint Barton is, what’s that thing called…oh yeah - human. He’s not a soldier on steroids, he’s not a demigod, he’s not a guy with a weapons suit of armor or a guy who can turn into a big green angry dude; Hawkeye is a weapons expert whose favorite weapon happens to be a recurve bow (in The Avengers anyway) and a set of trick arrows. Which, to me, makes a lot of sense. Arrows are more accurate (depending on what he wants ‘em to do).
We’ve seen him take down one of the Hellicarrier’s engines with one of those, and he took out another engine by scrambling the computer systems with another arrow.
Arrows can do more damage than a typical gun. Especially the trick arrows Hawkeye uses. Who needs guns, right? You can do the same amount of damage, possibly more, with guns, but you’d need several different ones, with the trick arrows, it’s more compact and user-friendly. All-in-one Quiver.

First time we meet Barton in this movie,
he’s watching from up above, you can tell he’s brooding as well. I can’t help but wonder what’s on his mind. When Loki tells him he’s got heart, it’s a good shout out to the Hawkeye of the past at least in the comics.

The final fight,
Hawkeye had some badass moves on the ground as well as up on the roof. Doesn't matter if he didn't get much screen time. And Cap put him to good use by sending him up to the roof to be the eyes and ears of the team. It’s what Hawkeye does best, he sees better from a distance. And he used the bow and arrows in nifty ways, covering others’ asses and taking out bad guys from above. So what if Loki caught the arrow sent his way, we saw what happened next, one of the BEST scenes of the movie with the Hulk tossing Loki around like a rag doll. So it worked out very well. If anything, Hawkeye is a great cockblocker with those arrows. Can you imagine if Hawkeye wasn’t up there calling out who’s where, who needs help and so on? The team would be screwed and all over the place in so many ways given the size of that battle alone.

It was a nice touch for him to run out of arrows too, usually that doesn’t happen; and when he leapt off the building and crashed through the window to land on his back amongst glass, he didn’t get up right away. He's human. Falls like that hurt like a mo-fo , even from much smaller distances than he went.

But the scene where they all assemble to hold up Loki, Hawkeye’s the one in the middle, armed with his bow trained at Loki. That was just brilliantly framed and shot. It could’ve been Iron man, with guns raised, it could’ve been Black Widow with the “glow stick of destiny”, it could’ve been the Cap with the shield, it could’ve been Hulk, it could’ve been Thor with the hammer, but no, it was Hawkeye in the center with his trusty bow and an arrow aimed at Loki.

I saw the movie four times, and at first I didn’t think they’ve uses Hawkeye enough, and I still think they didn’t, but there’s foreshadowing and hints of a tortured past. Out of all the others, he’s the one with least “backstory” introduced, but perhaps that was cut out from the final movie. Because an EW.com interview, when asked about who’s the most messed up of all, they all said Hawkeye. So I’m thinking there’s gotta be more, stuff that got cut out, perhaps.

Don’t dismiss the archer just because he’s got a bow and a set of arrows as his weapon of choice. He’s human, and him and BW are way in over their heads in this battle. As Black Widow mentions earlier “this is nothing we were ever trained for” They’re trained assassins and spies, not superheroes and fighters against monsters and magic. Yet these two held their own next to Thor, Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America.

Joss Whedon did a nice job balancing all these characters and stringing the story together the way he did. Everyone had a part to play in the 'bigger' picture.

Just my.. er.. more than two cents.

Last edited by TheHawkeye; 05-09-2012 at 04:28 AM.
TheHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #542
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHawkeye View Post
THIS!

I don't get all the "WTF, Hawkeye's useless, he's just got a bow and arrows"

You guys are forgetting that Clint Barton is, what’s that thing called…oh yeah - human. He’s not a soldier on steroids, he’s not a demigod, he’s not a guy with a weapons suit of armor or a guy who can turn into a big green angry dude; Hawkeye is a weapons expert whose favorite weapon happens to be a compound bow (in The Avengers anyway) and a set of trick arrows. Which, to me, makes a lot of sense. Arrows are more accurate (depending on what he wants ‘em to do).
We’ve seen him take down one of the Hellicarrier’s engines with one of those, and he took out another engine by scrambling the computer systems with another arrow.
Arrows can do more damage than a typical gun. Especially the trick arrows Hawkeye uses. Who needs guns, right? You can do the same amount of damage, possibly more, with guns, but you’d need several different ones, with the trick arrows, it’s more compact and user-friendly. All-in-one Quiver.

First time we meet Barton in this movie,
he’s watching from up above, you can tell he’s brooding as well. I can’t help but wonder what’s on his mind. When Loki tells him he’s got heart, it’s a good shout out to the Hawkeye of the past at least in the comics.

The final fight,
Hawkeye had some badass moves on the ground as well as up on the roof. Doesn't matter if he didn't get much screen time. And Cap put him to good use by sending him up to the roof to be the eyes and ears of the team. It’s what Hawkeye does best, he sees better from a distance. And he used the bow and arrows in nifty ways, covering others’ asses and taking out bad guys from above. So what if Loki caught the arrow sent his way, we saw what happened next, one of the BEST scenes of the movie with the Hulk tossing Loki around like a rag doll. So it worked out very well. If anything, Hawkeye is a great cockblocker with those arrows. Can you imagine if Hawkeye wasn’t up there calling out who’s where, who needs help and so on? The team would be screwed and all over the place in so many ways given the size of that battle alone.

It was a nice touch for him to run out of arrows too, usually that doesn’t happen; and when he leapt off the building and crashed through the window to land on his back amongst glass, he didn’t get up right away. He's human. Falls like that hurt like a mo-fo , even from much smaller distances than he went.

But the scene where they all assemble to hold up Loki, Hawkeye’s the one in the middle, armed with his bow trained at Loki. That was just brilliantly framed and shot. It could’ve been Iron man, with guns raised, it could’ve been Black Widow with the “glow stick of destiny”, it could’ve been the Cap with the shield, it could’ve been Hulk, it could’ve been Thor with the hammer, but no, it was Hawkeye in the center with his trusty bow and an arrow aimed at Loki.

I saw the movie four times, and at first I didn’t think they’ve uses Hawkeye enough, and I still think they didn’t, but there’s foreshadowing and hints of a tortured past. Out of all the others, he’s the one with least “backstory” introduced, but perhaps that was cut out from the final movie. Because an EW.com interview, when asked about who’s the most messed up of all, they all said Hawkeye. So I’m thinking there’s gotta be more, stuff that got cut out, perhaps.

Don’t dismiss the archer just because he’s got a bow and a set of arrows as his weapon of choice. He’s human, and him and BW are way in over their heads in this battle. As Black Widow mentions earlier “this is nothing we were ever trained for” They’re trained assassins and spies, not superheroes and fighters against monsters and magic. Yet these two held their own next to Thor, Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America.

Joss Whedon did a nice job balancing all these characters and stringing the story together the way he did. Everyone had a part to play in the 'bigger' picture.

Just my.. er.. more than two cents.
Ummm.... "LIKE"..... x100000!!! *lol* Well put

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #543
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

It's too bad Hawkeye spent most of the film as Loki's *****, but he was pretty awesome nonetheless. Now that the intro is done there's more room for his development in sequels...and he did have some pretty subtle development/exposition in this film =)

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #544
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I think Hawkeye being a bad guy early on really let us see how badass he was.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #545
The Guard
Side-Kick

He wasn't really developed at all, unless you count being developed into a mindless zombie and knocked out to get back development, which I don't. Exposition about what a character did in the past isn't really good character development. I think, while Hawkeye was awesome, that his sidelining was easily the film's weakest area.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #546
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
He wasn't really developed at all, unless you count being developed into a mindless zombie and knocked out to get back development, which I don't. Exposition about what a character did in the past isn't really good character development. I think, while Hawkeye was awesome, that his sidelining was easily the film's weakest area.
I get what you mean. I guess I was saying that we know a bit more about him aside from him being a badass who shoots arrows like a boss. I agree he did get the shaft, no pun intended...everyone else seemed like an Avenger team member while Hawkeye was a guy they added on afterward.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #547
The Guard
Side-Kick

That's true. the Hawkeye/Widow stuff was a welcome addition, and in a few short sequences, they did make them a lot more interesting. I really wish he hadn't been sidelined the whole film. Looking forward to a whole AVENGERS 2 of him.

Unless Thanos mind controls him...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #548
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I like all of the arrows, actually, but aside from that no-look shot (the most impressive one imo), I really like the one arrow he fired at Loki while the target is on that fast-moving chariot. After Loki caught it with a smirk, what comes next was just awesome, and Hawkeye got bit of his revenge with that hit.
The only thing that would have made that scene better is if, after Loki caught it and smiled, Hawkeye said, "Tick tick boom."

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #549
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
I'm still hoping for a hi-res shot of that for a wallpaper.
ME TOO, I SEE NO REASON WHY THEY CANT RELEASE AN OFFICIAL STILL. IT'S A GREAT ICONIC SHOT AND DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING IN THE WAY OF SPOILERS

-DOOM

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #550
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

How many arrows does his quiver actually hold? I understand it is a movie and he needs to run out at a certain point, but it just seemed odd how long it did last.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote