The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #51
Godzilla2000
The Ultimate Lifeform
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kicking the monster's ask.
Posts: 7,264
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I gotta say, Thanos having a child is a dumb idea, alternate universe or not.
Now come on, Thanos has to have urges too...unless he doesn't have any reproductive organs and reproduces asexually.

__________________
Gymkata: The Best Movie Ever!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Sometimes the difference between life and death is alertness and response time of the people around you.

- The chill of Winter is easier to deal with than the chill of some people.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #52
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Loki's army

His urges are killing things and honouring Mistress Death. Creating life through reproduction is the complete opposite of what he is about.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #53
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!
 
Captain Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,193
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
Now come on, Thanos has to have urges too...unless he doesn't have any reproductive organs and reproduces asexually.
He doesn't reproduce at all. It's completely counter to everything he believes in.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #54
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,854
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Thanos goes wherever he has to go to achieve power. He's not some royal priss in a nightgown. He has no problem whatsoever with getting his hands dirty. Moreover, sending people to capture something which has the ability of granting near-infinite power is beyond stupid, as the person who retrieves it can then claim the power for themselves. That's especially a cause for concern when you have someone as ambitious as Loki going to retrieve it for you. And Thanos of Titan is not a moron.



Because Death asked him to kill half the living beings in the universe. If he started with himself than his kill count would be pretty low below the mark, wouldn't it?



It just serves as another reminder why the Ultimate comics suck. This is the universe where they had Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have an incestuous relationship and made Hulk a cannibal. The Ultimates has practically no redeeming qualities to it. If they're going to take anything from the comics for Thanos in the films, then they should look to the 616 universe, which is where all his best stories are told (and there are SO MANY great Thanos stories to choose from). And in the 616 universe, Thanos and Ronan are members of two completely different species and are no relation to each other whatsoever, and Thanos has no children, period, because Thanos of Titan does not drop progeny.
Glad to see another huge Thanos fan. Thanos is a genius multiple times over. The comics and the handbooks have both stated that Thanos's brilliance exceeds Doom and Reed's. Basically, a Thanos/ Loki partnership only works if Thanos is actually manipulating Loki.

Thanos actually yearns for Death's touch; he wants to die more than anything At various points she has forbade him from entering the realm of the dead, much to his dismay. There's this great moment in the Thanos imperative where Drax makes his intentions of murdering Thanos known to the Titan, and Thanos responds "I will welcome it."

The only way Thanos would have a child is an adopted one, raised for his own nefarious plans (see Gamora.) He would never create life, and the only woman he desires as a lover is an abstract entity who embodies the absence of life.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel

Last edited by KangConquers; 02-12-2012 at 05:11 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #55
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,854
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
Now come on, Thanos has to have urges too...unless he doesn't have any reproductive organs and reproduces asexually.
Would never contribute to the proliferation of universal population. He mutilated Nebula for claiming to be his grandchild. The one time Thanos did accidentally reproduced, it was with Mistress Death, and they teamed up to kill their spawn.

Thanos doesn't like kids. Or Sexy time. Or fun.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #56
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!
 
Captain Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,193
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Would never contribute to the proliferation of universal population. He mutilated Nebula for claiming to be his grandchild. The one time Thanos did accidentally reproduced, it was with Mistress Death, and they teamed up to kill their spawn.

Thanos doesn't like kids. Or Sexy time. Or fun.
And even if Thanos does do that sort of thing (which I have NEVER seen evidence for), he probably did that snip snip procedure on himself years ago to destroy his ability to reproduce. We're talking about a guy who performed unnecessary, and fatal, surgery on his own mother, after all.

As for Nebula...


Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #57
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,854
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
And even if Thanos does do that sort of thing (which I have NEVER seen evidence for), he probably did that snip snip procedure on himself years ago to destroy his ability to reproduce. We're talking about a guy who performed unnecessary, and fatal, surgery on his own mother, after all.

As for Nebula...

To quote Stan Lee in Mall Rats "We never...really discussed those things." I think we can just leave it at Thanos doesn't reproduce, and only desires one woman.

Thanos's treatment of Nebula is so twisted. I love Thanos!

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #58
Godzilla2000
The Ultimate Lifeform
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kicking the monster's ask.
Posts: 7,264
Default Re: Loki's army

Whoa...I was just trying to be facetious here about Thanos being a mack daddy.

__________________
Gymkata: The Best Movie Ever!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Sometimes the difference between life and death is alertness and response time of the people around you.

- The chill of Winter is easier to deal with than the chill of some people.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #59
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,330
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
It just serves as another reminder why the Ultimate comics suck. This is the universe where they had Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have an incestuous relationship and made Hulk a cannibal. The Ultimates has practically no redeeming qualities to it. If they're going to take anything from the comics for Thanos in the films, then they should look to the 616 universe, which is where all his best stories are told (and there are SO MANY great Thanos stories to choose from). And in the 616 universe, Thanos and Ronan are members of two completely different species and are no relation to each other whatsoever, and Thanos has no children, period, because Thanos of Titan does not drop progeny.
So stories with cannibals suck? Dang, too bad for Silence of the Lambs.

I have to admit, I also disdain "Character X must be this way in all continuities or its stupid/sucky!" mindsets, but fanboy bias aside, the reason that the Ultimate universe gets so much screen time is because it was written to 1) Be palatable to the modern cynical audience 2) to fit within a movie-sized narrative. To take the best Thanos stories and distill them into one film that the public, in general, can swallow with only 45 minutes of exposition to set it, and all the other characters, up - that's a hard task, something no one's done successfully. How do you take someone who's just here for Iron Man to accept and be invested in Thanos' love affair with Death incarnate? That's stuff we generally learn in caption boxes -something movies don't have - that builds on our wild imaginations as comics fans - something the general audience doesn't have.

So the reason the Ultimate Comics are great is because they're modern, and they're, in many cases, screen-ready, and purposefully so. Hulk is once again a scary monster as he was intended. In the 60s, he just needed to be ugly. Now he's a cannibal. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the dross of the superhero squad. In the 60s it was because they were related to a bad guy. Now it's because they're sexual deviants. It's modernization/updating, and it worked beautifully for several years until it could no longer deliver on it's continuity-light promise.

But back to the topic, I think Thanos as a after-credits foreshadowing and the villain for the Aveners trilogy would be great. Obviously, it would be really dumb to have him after the Infinity Gauntlets, as you can't really develop them properly in a single film, and you don't want to devote (derail) each of the solo films to an infinity gauntlet, just to set up Thanos. So him after the Cosmic Cube is not only logical, but makes for a better tighter narrative overall. Since that's the case, make him what he needs to be to do that: manipulating Loki, generally hands off, etc.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #60
Superhero 101
DESI
 
Superhero 101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Loki's army

I would love it for the Avengers Sequel if Thanos comes to earth and kind of forms a Masters Of Evil that way we can have the villains from previous films to fight the Avengers that would be so badass!!

__________________
Captain America The Winter Soldier 9/10 The Amazing Spider-man 2 8/10 Godzilla 7/10 X-Men Days Of Future Past 9/10 Dawn Of the Planet Of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy
Superhero 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #61
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,854
Awesome Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
Whoa...I was just trying to be facetious here about Thanos being a mack daddy.
Just thank whatever higher power you believe in that Thanos isn't real, or else you wouldn't be posting here today.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #62
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!
 
Captain Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,193
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
So stories with cannibals suck? Dang, too bad for Silence of the Lambs.
If the story is of a classic Marvel hero who's depicted as a cannibal, particularly one who's beloved by the general public thanks to a show starring Bill Bixby, then yes, it does suck.

Quote:
I have to admit, I also disdain "Character X must be this way in all continuities or its stupid/sucky!" mindsets
I wouldn't disdain the Ultimates so much if their variations weren't just abysmal crap. I gave it a fair shot and I didn't care for it whatsoever.

Quote:
but fanboy bias aside, the reason that the Ultimate universe gets so much screen time is because it was written to 1) Be palatable to the modern cynical audience 2) to fit within a movie-sized narrative.
And yet, for the most part, we've gotten the classic Marvel versions, and not the Ultimates versions. Aside from Nick Fury, what've we gotten? We don't have Tony in the clunkier Ultimates Iron Man suit with the goop. He's got the sleek armor of the 616 Universe. Hulk wasn't depicted as a cannibal, nor was Betty ever turned on by seeing the Hulk eat someone (Do you really think those two plot elements would've appealed to the mass public?). We have a Thor who, while not considered to be a supernatural creature, is likewise not considered to be a street crazy with delusions of being Thor the way he is in the Ultimates, nevermind that his costume is much closer to the 616 version than the Ultimates, especially his hammer (which is a hammer, as opposed to an axe. So how does a hammer that looks like an axe jive with making a character more palatable to modern audiences?).

And I very much doubt that we're ever going to see Chris Evans yelling "Do you think this 'A' on my forehead stands for France?"

I also have to take issue with the notion that the Ultimates universe is more palatable to the general audience than the 616 universe. I already mentioned the absolutely ludicrous idea that the general audience would've preferred a cannibalistic Hulk, but let's look at the other plot elements. Do you really think that the general audience is clamoring for an incestuous relationship between a twin brother and sister? Do you think the Ant-Man movie that audiences are willing to see is one in which Hank Pym regularly beats the crap out of the Wasp? So tell me, is that what the general audience wants to see when they go see a Marvel movie?

Quote:
To take the best Thanos stories and distill them into one film that the public, in general, can swallow with only 45 minutes of exposition to set it, and all the other characters, up - that's a hard task, something no one's done successfully. How do you take someone who's just here for Iron Man to accept and be invested in Thanos' love affair with Death incarnate? That's stuff we generally learn in caption boxes -something movies don't have - that builds on our wild imaginations as comics fans - something the general audience doesn't have.
The same way you set up any other villain. Thanos is hardly the first villain to come along to... *gasp* ...have motivations. The only difference is that the motivations of the 616 Thanos are far more interesting than those of the Ultimates Thanos. So he's an intergalactic despot. Ho hum. We've seen that a million times before. 616 Thanos, however, is a far more interesting creature, and his 616 stories are far more memorable than the drek that was churned out by the Ultimates universe.

Quote:
So the reason the Ultimate Comics are great is because they're modern, and they're, in many cases, screen-ready, and purposefully so. Hulk is once again a scary monster as he was intended. In the 60s, he just needed to be ugly. Now he's a cannibal. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the dross of the superhero squad. In the 60s it was because they were related to a bad guy. Now it's because they're sexual deviants. It's modernization/updating, and it worked beautifully for several years until it could no longer deliver on it's continuity-light promise.
Yeah, it's so great that it never outsold its more mainstream counterparts? Give me a break. You don't need "cannibal" to be scary, nor do you need incest to be the black sheep of the team. There's daring storytelling and then there's delving into Jerry Springer territory for your material. If hearing about the exploits of trailer trash interested me I'd go watch Jerry Springer, not read a Marvel comic or watch a Marvel movie.

So once again, if they're so screen ready, then why haven't they been translated to the screen? Why haven't we seen cannibal Hulk, or low-tech Iron Man, or a Thor that everybody thinks is crazy with no hint of an Asgard?

Quote:
But back to the topic, I think Thanos as a after-credits foreshadowing and the villain for the Aveners trilogy would be great. Obviously, it would be really dumb to have him after the Infinity Gauntlets, as you can't really develop them properly in a single film, and you don't want to devote (derail) each of the solo films to an infinity gauntlet, just to set up Thanos. So him after the Cosmic Cube is not only logical, but makes for a better tighter narrative overall. Since that's the case, make him what he needs to be to do that: manipulating Loki, generally hands off, etc.
It doesn't make sense, though, for him to allow anyone else to go after the Cosmic Cube. This is an artifact that has the capability to make the bearer far more powerful than Thanos, so why in the world would he entrust anybody, especially a schemer and a betrayer like Loki, with the task of retrieving it for him? Thanos is not a 1980's Saturday morning cartoon villain blindly allowing his traitorous second-in-command to backstab him. He's far smarter than that. If there's a source of unimaginable power out there than he's going to go out there and get it himself, just as he did with the Infinity Gems.


Last edited by Captain Marvel; 02-13-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #63
darkhawk123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: Loki's army

Hey guys, I've been lurking around the boards for years, but I just ran across this and wanted to share it with ya'll:
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/2012TF/DST/image14.asp
This is a photo from Toyfair of Marvel Select Figures being released for the movie. The figure in the middle is a secret villain figure. It's been censored, but you can still make something out. What do you all think?

darkhawk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #64
Gamma_Powered_God
Side-Kick
 
Gamma_Powered_God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 495
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhawk123 View Post
Hey guys, I've been lurking around the boards for years, but I just ran across this and wanted to share it with ya'll:
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/2012TF/DST/image14.asp
This is a photo from Toyfair of Marvel Select Figures being released for the movie. The figure in the middle is a secret villain figure. It's been censored, but you can still make something out. What do you all think?
It's got some sort of belt on, that's all I could make out.

Gamma_Powered_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #65
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick
 
Shadowlord X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Loki's army

Welcome to SHH darkhawk123!

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #66
darkhawk123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: Loki's army

Thanks Shadowlord!

darkhawk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #67
BAILY
Side-Kick
 
BAILY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 982
Default Re: Loki's army

I played around with those ToyFair photos in Photoshop and this is what I came up with ...



Anyone know what this is???

BAILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #68
Gamma_Powered_God
Side-Kick
 
Gamma_Powered_God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 495
Default Re: Loki's army

[QUOTE=BAILY;22501781]I played around with those ToyFair photos in Photoshop and this is what I came up with ...



Anyone know what this is???[/QUOTE

Nice work. It looks like a humanoid with a metal mask.

Gamma_Powered_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #69
BAILY
Side-Kick
 
BAILY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 982
Default Re: Loki's army

I first thought a demented humanoid reindeer .. then I thought Beta Ray Bill but that might be a long shot ... I'm not THAT familiar with the races out there so hopefully someone can give us a hint at least.. I'm going to assume whatever this character is, they are the ones riding on the flying speeder-dealies with Loki in the trailer

BAILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #70
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,012
Default Re: Loki's army

It looks the same as the things jumping off that thing in that one scene in the spot

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #71
Gamma_Powered_God
Side-Kick
 
Gamma_Powered_God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 495
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILY View Post
I first thought a demented humanoid reindeer .. then I thought Beta Ray Bill but that might be a long shot ... I'm not THAT familiar with the races out there so hopefully someone can give us a hint at least.. I'm going to assume whatever this character is, they are the ones riding on the flying speeder-dealies with Loki in the trailer
That's what I think, it looks like it's one of the aliens riding the gold vehicles in the trailer.

Gamma_Powered_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #72
darkhawk123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: Loki's army

It has some sort of mask or visor on, and it looks like the neck is elongated...I'm guessing that this is what we saw the the superbowl spot. In the other photo, from the front, it looks like it has some kind of armor or shoulderpads...reminds a little of the photo of the "skrulls" from the Avengers board game, not the little ones, the big guy...
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploa...mander-toy.jpg

darkhawk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #73
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
It looks the same as the things jumping off that thing in that one scene in the spot
Yup.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #74
Aztec
Side-Kick
 
Aztec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,171
Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhawk123 View Post
Hey guys, I've been lurking around the boards for years, but I just ran across this and wanted to share it with ya'll:
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/2012TF/DST/image14.asp
This is a photo from Toyfair of Marvel Select Figures being released for the movie. The figure in the middle is a secret villain figure. It's been censored, but you can still make something out. What do you all think?
Can anyone blow up the writing beneath it? That's not blacked out and that could tell us all we need to know!

__________________
Iron Man..Hulk..Thor..Captain America..Black Widow..Hawkeye
Quicksilver..Scarlet Witch..Vision..War Machine..Falcon..Winter Soldier
Star-Lord..Drax..Gamora..Rocket..Groot..Ant-Man..Dr. Strange

VS. Thanos
MARVEL'S THE INFINITY GAUNTLET
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #75
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick
 
marvel_freshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,360
Default Re: Loki's army

You can actually see it...a bit in this pic


__________________
"I Still Believe In Heroes" - Nick Fury
marvel_freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.