The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #101
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Loki's army

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
It fits Loki and doesn't require a ton of exposition; If it's the New Men, Annihilation Wave, Kang Army, Skrulls, Kree etc. You'd have to explain a lot. Having Loki come with an army from the 9 realms is very logical, and requires very little of the explaining any other option would require. They can also use Malekith as an extra villain, without wasting say, Thanos as a side villain.
Elves or Giants or Trolls are logical, and wouldn't require a lot of setup (nobody would even have to have seen the Thor movie to recognize WoW/D&D/LOTR regulars); but "alien invaders" doesn't require a lot of setup, either. I'm sure they could introduce the Skrulls without having to go into much more detail than "baddies from another planet."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #102
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm not really looking forward to beings from the 9 realms being making up any portion of Loki's army, that's just me though.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #103
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm not really looking forward to beings from the 9 realms being making up any portion of Loki's army, that's just me though.
We haven't really gotten any concrete sort of confirmation exactly what alien race(s) it consists of so don't get too worried. The only thing we can ascertain is that they will for the most part be 100% CGI.

- Cheaters fail at life.

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #104
Jordanstine
Side-Kick

From what I was told about the pre-screening, regarding Loki's army:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1) The aliens "just appeared" from a "portal in space"; almost like a surprise attack kind of thing.

2) Only thing SHIELD knew was that the Cosmic Cube holds the power to bring in "another world" but they didn't know exactly what that world was. All they knew was that they had get the Cosmic Cube back from Loki.

3) The aliens were never really introduced; in other words you won't hear SHIELD telling the Avengers: "We're being invaded by them Kree and them Skrulls!" nor something like "The Redacteds are coming, the Redacteds are coming!" Btw, Redacteds have been debunked 100%, but it sure is fun saying it!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #105
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The correct answer, when all the cards have been counted, will likely be "All of the Above."

Speculation and rumors from the start has been that Loki's army is a mixed bag of lots of different thugs and ne'er-do-wells from all corners of the cosmos --- some recognizable to fanboys, some not so much. I fully expect little bits 'n' pieces of Frost Giants here, Fire Demons there, Rock Trolls, Skrullies, Kree malcontents, Deviants, Badoon baddies, just about anything you can think of. I think Loki's mercenary army is gonna look like the Mos Eisley cantina regulars, or the entourage at Jabba's Palace.
Ugh am I the only one who thinks that whatever it is, the army is going oto consist of just one race? Am I really the only one who thinks that? In my opinion there is no evidence that they are all different races. I am sorry, but by looking at the stills of the two different scenes with the "aliens", the images are too distorted to distinguish any differences. With that being said, along with the Skrulls in the board game, I still believe that the aliens are one race. Whoever they are

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #106
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
I found a review of an interview on a site. In an Empire Magazine interview Kevin Feige squashes both the Kree and Skrull arguments.

"Who said they were aliens?" he teases. Beings from the Nine Realms, then, ventures Empire? "Closer...It's not Skrulls, I've been clear about that. Beyond that, we want to hide it. The identity of the alien race is not impactful. It exists in the comic books, but we're not setting up the Kree-Skrull war or anything like that."

Someone told me to look up Alpha Centaurians and I admit, they could be a very plausible fit. But we will find out.

No matter what the Avengers win because they have a Hulk!
OLD NEWS MAN :P, atleast a month old, every single person here as already read that, and to be honest with you, it may be garbage.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #107
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
You raise an interesting point darthmagic.

I have often wondered that if Thanos is in the movie, will he be the 616 version or the Ultimate version.
I hope its the 616, I think he looks just awesome, I dont care the motives I mean, I just hope his costume is 616.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #108
SpideryintheMCU
New User - Level 0

Loki teams up with Thanos to get the cosmic cube from Eath. His army consists of two species, one of which we have already seen and another which I will reveal sometime soon. And it's not one anyone has mentioned.

SpideryintheMCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #109
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #110
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
OLD NEWS MAN :P, atleast a month old, every single person here as already read that, and to be honest with you, it may be garbage.

I'm sure lots of people have read it already, however, it was the most recent thing that I could find, and since it dealt with the subject of Loki's Army, I threw it up there to add to the discussion.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #111
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I'm surprised at how well Marvel has managed to keep the 'aliens' appearance a secret.

I know feige has said that the identity of the race is not impactful, but it must be important enough for them to keep the army such a secret.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #112
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

Keeping the villain army's identity secret may have been intentional to create a bit of buzz amongst fans (which it has). Or their identity is important and part of a larger story, which Feige denied but could have merely been trying to diffuse the mystery and keep fans from trying too hard to figure it out.

My worry about Loki having an army is that it might reduce any impact in future Avengers movies regarding bad guy armies. If they were to use Kang, he basically employs an army of soldiers. So the impact of Kang using an army would be reduced by us already seeing the Avengers take on an army. Granted, they could take it up a notch with Kang and have him seize control of the entire world.

With the Avengers having already defeated an army led by Loki, I think using Ultron, the Masters of Evil, and Thanos as villains for sequels might provide for something different that doesn't retread the Avengers vs nameless goon conflict.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #113
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
Keeping the villain army's identity secret may have been intentional to create a bit of buzz amongst fans (which it has). Or their identity is important and part of a larger story, which Feige denied but could have merely been trying to diffuse the mystery and keep fans from trying too hard to figure it out.

My worry about Loki having an army is that it might reduce any impact in future Avengers movies regarding bad guy armies. If they were to use Kang, he basically employs an army of soldiers. So the impact of Kang using an army would be reduced by us already seeing the Avengers take on an army. Granted, they could take it up a notch with Kang and have him seize control of the entire world.

With the Avengers having already defeated an army led by Loki, I think using Ultron, the Masters of Evil, and Thanos as villains for sequels might provide for something different that doesn't retread the Avengers vs nameless goon conflict.
That's an understandable qualm. On the flipside, characters like the ones you mentioned are well known for having armies backing them, albeit in different forms. Heck, in the ultimate universe, Loki invaded twice with an asgardian army of creatures.

Basically it's a device to up the threat level, which I'm sure you already know....giving the baddies a bit more power to back up their ambitions...especially with characters like Loki, kang, and thanos who want to conquer and rule. Which is why it'd be nice to not have this army be nameless goons, and maybe be something than can play into future films.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #114
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It sounds like the identity of the race is irrelevant and they are just nameless, faceless bad guys much like the Decepticon armies in TF 2 and 3.

But either way I think all the secrecy will be for naught because I have a feeling we are all going to be let down by what is going to be a non-reveal.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #115
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It sounds like the identity of the race is irrelevant and they are just nameless, faceless bad guys much like the Decepticon armies in TF 2 and 3.

But either way I think all the secrecy will be for naught because I have a feeling we are all going to be let down by what is going to be a non-reveal.
Then why bother with the secrecy in the first place? I mean I understand wanting to keep some suspense I suppose. But - to me - they seem to have a greater purpose behind all the hiding.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #116
SlackBrian
Party Gorn

Maybe it's not secrecy. Maybe TheVileOne is right, and they're just nameless goons. If they're nameless goons, then they're not hiding anything. They would have no names to come out and promote or reveal, since they're not a famous character or race. They're just cannon fodder.

I'm not saying I think that's what's happening, but it's not impossible.

Twitter: SlackBrian

H.E.
SlackBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #117
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think the secrecy is just because it will get fanboys chomping at the bit you know.

But it sounds like they really aren't hiding anything. They are just random baddie/minions of no true significance.

- CM Punk
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #118
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Maybe it's not secrecy. Maybe TheVileOne is right, and they're just nameless goons. If they're nameless goons, then they're not hiding anything. They would have no names to come out and promote or reveal, since they're not a famous character or race. They're just cannon fodder.

I'm not saying I think that's what's happening, but it's not impossible.
You make a fair point.

Like I said with an earlier post, it seems weird to me that feige said the identity of the race is not impactful, but also says they wish to keep it a secret. It just seems like clever contradictory misdirection to me.

I just think it'd be cool if the aliens did have an identity and could be used down the road for future stories...either in solo movies or future ensemble titles. I'm not expecting the kree or anything but marvel is known for surprises.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #119
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideryintheMCU View Post
Loki teams up with Thanos to get the cosmic cube from Eath. His army consists of two species, one of which we have already seen and another which I will reveal sometime soon. And it's not one anyone has mentioned.
Of course! The __________ and The Levians!

(*shrugs shoulders*)

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #120
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well guys just remember how psyched up the boards would get over this and that being in X-3 and bought into some of the lies and smokescreens from Fox and all those things people thought would be in it were not?

Also my point is this. I'm not saying we are being lied to. I'm just saying. We know Loki is the villain, he's got an army of some dudes and that's the gist of it. The Avengers unite together to fight him after he gets the cube which he can use to like open dimensional portals and get super powerful and stuff. So maybe there really is not much to the secrecy at all.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 03-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #121
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Well guys just remember how psyched up the boards would get over this and that being in X-3 and bought into some of the lies and smokescreens from Fox and all those things people thought would be in it were not?
Another fair point, although there were a couple small cameos here and there, there wasn't anything too direct.

I just wanna see a clear image of what these guys look like haha...although I'm sure everyone else does too. If they do turn out to be generic, I bet there will be a lot of questions as to why they didn't use a race from the comics, seeing as there are so many. In the end it makes no difference to me though.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #122
SlackBrian
Party Gorn

If the army does turn out to be generic goons, I will agree that a lot of people will probably be disappointed. I'm not too stressed about it though. I'm going to let them do what they feel is best for the film, and not let the things I want to see in the film get me upset if it turns out they're not there.

Twitter: SlackBrian

H.E.
SlackBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #123
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I think the secrecy is just because it will get fanboys chomping at the bit you know.

But it sounds like they really aren't hiding anything. They are just random baddie/minions of no true significance.

Just their very existence is truly significant. That's why I don't buy into Feige's statement that their identity is "not impactful." Hell, they're intelligent life from another planet and/or dimension....that fact alone makes them HUGELY impactful on human history. As does the existence of Thor and the Asgardians. As does the Cosmic Cube. As does the existence of magic. As does the ability to travel to other worlds and/or dimensions.

It's not something they can just sweep under the rug. The MCU is going to need to address the PROFOUND history-changing events of Avengers in the rest of their movies, beginning immediately with Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. "Holy ****! Aliens *do* exist! And they tried to take over our planet! And their leader was casting spells! And he got defeated by the actual Norse God of Thunder....I thought that was just a myth! WTF, man?!?!"

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL, cherokeesam, I'm not eliminating the possibility, but I think you are setting up yourself for disappointment.

I mean maybe Feige was telling the truth.

- CM Punk
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #125
Splat
Side-Kick

One important thing to note is the GA won't care if they are nameless bad guys, only fanboys will care. As long as its a great movie the GA won't care who the Avengers fight.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote