The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Default So...how long until Marvel gets the rights back?

I'm not going to judge this film until I see it, but based on current reviews, I would imagine it's not very good.

So, assuming GR:SoV does relatively poorly at the box office, do you think Sony will let the rights revert back to Marvel, or will they try to further milk the flaming skull for another film?

If Sony does let the rights revert, how long until Marvel gets them back? And if/when Marvel gets them back, do you think they will (or even should) try their hand at a Ghost Rider film?

DISCUSS!!!

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: So...how long until Marvel gets the rights back?

Hopefully sometime in the near future, because I'm personally looking forward to a Ghost Rider film that doesn't get ripped apart by fanboys.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Octoberist
point blank

Or ripped apart by critics, bloggers and general public.

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Microchip
Gettin my applesauce back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
If Sony does let the rights revert, how long until Marvel gets them back? And if/when Marvel gets them back, do you think they will (or even should) try their hand at a Ghost Rider film?

DISCUSS!!!
If Marvel makes 1-3 Superhero movies a year, I'd say it'd be a while until they got around to doing Ghost Rider, even if they got the rights. Ghost Rider is a bit of a tainted property now. Guys like Black Panther aren't, and probably would be in line first.

If they get the rights back, a cartoon might be more likely. Or even a dark, scary TV series, if it was done right!

Microchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microchip View Post
If Marvel makes 1-3 Superhero movies a year, I'd say it'd be a while until they got around to doing Ghost Rider, even if they got the rights. Ghost Rider is a bit of a tainted property now. Guys like Black Panther aren't, and probably would be in line first.

If they get the rights back, a cartoon might be more likely. Or even a dark, scary TV series, if it was done right!
I think after two films this might be the way to go for a character like that. Even if the first one and the sequel got good reviews, I still don't believe they would have done better at the BO(well the first one at least since this just came out). I just don't think it's a character a lot of the GA takes seriously.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
babykhris
Side-Kick

Punisher: War Zone was released in 2008, but Marvel got the rights back in 2011. I assume Marvel and Lionsgate brokered a deal.

If SONY and Marvel wanted to they could work out a deal. I see SONY selling Ghost Rider back to Marvel in an attempt to try to hold on to Spider-Man a little while longer.

babykhris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

I see Sony doing all they can to keep this property just so Marvel/Disney doesn't get a chance to make a movie people might actually enjoy as a whole.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Krimasen
Avenger 0

I would like for Disney to regain ALL the film rights from everyone for their primary characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider).

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
I see Sony doing all they can to keep this property just so Marvel/Disney doesn't get a chance to make a movie people might actually enjoy as a whole.
I don't I can see SONY cutting it's losses and focusing on the Marvel properties (Spidey & Men In Black) that work. SONY already gave up Spider-Man merchandise & television rights to cut costs.

Ghost Rider has failed twice, so why keep doing it.

babykhris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

First GR did decent at the BO. It failed critically. As for MIB working, we'll see what MIB3 does, but based on the trailer, looks like crap.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
If GR2 performs poorly at the box office, I think even Sony would want to cut the tie with this franchise and let it revert back to Marvel. From what I've heard about it, this day will not be far away.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimasen View Post
I would like for Disney to regain ALL the film rights from everyone for their primary characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider).
Here's the problem with that logic. If Disney had all those charcters they'd still be limited to around 3 movies a year. At least with the current arrange ment other studios are forced to release major Marvel projects that might otherwise be put on the shelf.

Think about how many DC characters get their own movie versus Marvel. Warner Bros just sits on the right for most DC characters. Disney could do the same.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Green Day
Side-Kick

I see Sony giving the rights back. Sony is not going keep the rights and pay for this franchise.

Green Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

That's the one good thing about this movie not being successful.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

Just a note, joblo.com is saying GR only pulled in $22 mil for the weekend, ranking in at third place.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/

Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
Krimasen
Avenger 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Here's the problem with that logic. If Disney had all those charcters they'd still be limited to around 3 movies a year. At least with the current arrange ment other studios are forced to release major Marvel projects that might otherwise be put on the shelf.

Think about how many DC characters get their own movie versus Marvel. Warner Bros just sits on the right for most DC characters. Disney could do the same.
That's true, but having all the rights back to most of the major characters means a much bigger connected movie universe.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #17
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

I think that day will happen eventually, because I don't believe the superhero genre is a bottomless well, which can be rebooted indefinitely. Someday the movie studios like Fox and Sony will stop invest in millions for yet another remake or reboot for their Marvel movies, and let the rights go back to their original owners. It probably won't happen within 10 years, but I think sometimes between 15-20 years.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimasen View Post
This.

Baneis8feettall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Movie's out, Blu-ray is out...not long before it will be on Cable TV. Let's hope in 3 years, it will revert back to Marvel...even if they don't make a movie out of it, GR still has a chance for a cameo..who knows maybe they will try what they did with the Avengers on the Midnight Sons using short films or animated movies...the possibilities are limitless once Sony gives it back.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I doubt Marvel will do anything much with it.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
NDX
Jiggle Jiggle Bounce!

Could use Dr. Strange as a platform to reintroduce him as a character for the new movieverse.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
jrd550
He who is him

I'm confused about the rights issue right now - I always understood it as you needing to have the film in production to keep the rights... I interpreted it as filming, but I guess scripting it is also 'in production' otherwise, wouldn't Daredevil go back to Marvel? I find it pretty hard for Sony to pursue another GR movie. Question is, can they make a dark GR movie at Disney now?

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Film rights are weird sometimes, like in the case of FF and Daredevil they can be held on for years. And on the flip side, the rights to the Punisher went back to Marvel a year after PWZ came out (though whether it was Lionsgate cutting their losses and selling the rights back to Marvel, or the rights relapsing is yet to been know).

As for Marvel doing a dark Ghost Rider at Disney, it'll probably be as dark as you can do with a PG-13 rating. An R-rated Ghost Rider is pretty much a long shot at this point.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I'm sure every contract for every franchise is different. In the case of some of these titles, maybe since Marvel has no requested them back, the contract stipulates they can hold on to them...OR they have already renegotiated and they are staying with their respective studios?

Who knows. BTW, a GR - R movie is really the best way to go with this series. His enemies kill and sadistically torture their victims, why they have gone PG-13 and effectively neuter action and violence is beyond me.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Film rights are weird sometimes, like in the case of FF and Daredevil they can be held on for years. And on the flip side, the rights to the Punisher went back to Marvel a year after PWZ came out (though whether it was Lionsgate cutting their losses and selling the rights back to Marvel, or the rights relapsing is yet to been know).

As for Marvel doing a dark Ghost Rider at Disney, it'll probably be as dark as you can do with a PG-13 rating. An R-rated Ghost Rider is pretty much a long shot at this point.
It would be MS that determines what's done with Ghost Rider at the end of the day. Disney has never had issues with R rated movies being released under its subsidiaries.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote