The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #301
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
There are a lot of films out there that greatly benefit from second views. TDKR is a very intense film simply being in not the best state of mind while watching it can affect your experience, as you said may be your case.

As for how well put together the film is? most critics enjoyed it and just from social media responses going around it seems most people are coming away enjoying it as well.

No movie will appeal to everyone though.
Each to their own, all I know is I came out of the cinema frustrated and had no desire to watch it again, and that's a big deal for me, normally I wouldn't bother watching a movie that makes me feel that way again but I'm doing so for Rises because I'm a Batman fan, so it gets a second chance.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #302
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Can we please lock this thread? I mean really this is only going to turn into an all-out bait/flame war.

People who like the Avengers better will say it was better those who like TDKR will say that and nobody's minds will be changed over the next 100 pages.
Then why not discuss if The Dark Knight Rises can make as much money as The Avengers? I created this thread in the first place because i wanted to discusss 2 things between the two, the one that would be better, and the one that would make more money.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #303
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Then why not discuss if The Dark Knight Rises can make as much money as The Avengers? I created this thread in the first place because i wanted to discusss 2 things between the two, the one that would be better, and the one that would make more money.
After the unfortunate events of TDKR's release, I don't think this is going to be a fair competition.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #304
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
After the unfortunate events of TDKR's release, I don't think this is going to be a fair competition.
It was indeed tragic, but i don't think it will make so many not see it, but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

It may cause a morbid curiosity like the death of Heath Ledger did with The Dark Knight or it may make people afraid of something similar happening again.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #305
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
It was indeed tragic, but i don't think it will make so many not see it, but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

It may cause a morbid curiosity like the death of Heath Ledger did with The Dark Knight or it may make people afraid of something similar happening again.
Opposite to the death of Ledger, which triggered some desire of honoring him by watching his last movie, this tragedy plays a completely different key IMO. It will probably make a lot of people feel that the movie has 'something' in it that provoked the tragedy or that simply watching a movie is not that safe anymore.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #306
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Opposite to the death of Ledger, which triggered some desire of honoring him by watching his last movie, this tragedy plays a completely different key IMO. It will probably make a lot of people feel that the movie has 'something' in it that provoked the tragedy or that simply watching a movie is not that safe anymore.
This exactly. I wanted to see Dark Knight because of Ledgers brilliant performance, and pay tribute to his last work. This whole shooting tragedy hasn't stop me from wanting to go see Dark Knight Rising, or to hide in my house from the world or going to movies, but it has made me less enthusiatic about the film, as well as threats from fanboys to the critic who was going to give it a negative review. I mean, I love comics and movies,etc, but it's all just entertainment.Some people treat it as a religion or as a motivation to live out their dark fantasies.

ShredderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #307
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Well both films are very different in intent, so comparing them is futile. However I will say structurally there is no comparison. Avengers is just a better made film.

What I mean by that is, pacing, story, script, film and sound editing. Avengers is just better in every one of those regards IMO.

DKR has a great story and is a great film but it's by far the weakest in the series, and it's not even close. It doesn't hold as an individual movie and only succeeds in that it closes out the trillogy. The main cast is left with nothing to do for most of the movie (Catwoman, Alfred), the film meanders around and loses it's way quickly.

The best thing you can say about Avengers is with all of those elements they hold the whole thing together, and everyone has their moment to shine. Execution wise it's brilliant. It's the perfect length, and you're pulled along for the whole ride.

DKR is sort of like the first Superbowl Ben Rothlisberger won. I mean he won the freaking Superbowl in his 2nd year as a pro, then again he played like ****, but he won the Superbowl. If you were a Steelers fan would you be depressed that Ben played like **** or would you be excited your favorite team just won the Superbowl for the first time since 1980?

Now that's probably a bit too harsh because DKR is a very good movie. Again it just pales in comparison to the first two, where Avengers stands on it's own, and even though it had all those tie-ins and is a "sequel" of sorts, it stands on it's own two feet.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #308
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Well, I agree with Neal Adams; The Avengers is a great comicbook film, and The Dark Knight Rises is a great epic.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #309
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
With The Dark Knight Rises having finally been released i would like to know some people's opinions on which film they found to be better, please don't enter into any flame war
For me it's no contest "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES". Don't get me wrong I loved "THE AVENGERS" it was fun and awesome and I enjoyed every minute of it. But IMO RISES offered an intense but very thrilling and satisfying conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy which IMO is the best comic book trilogy series so far out there.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #310
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

TDKR was very disappointing. Not one remotly interestig character, Bales charisma completely gone and Michael Caine written out of 95% of the movie. They didn't get their'tapping into the Zeitgeist' right, depicting the occupy movement as mindless morons with a blunt eat-the-rich attitude and mob mentality. I really hoped, after all the bad signs during the production, that the final movie would surprise me in a positive way. Instead all my fears came true, even the inclusion of Robin.

The Avengers offically ruled this summer.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #311
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

i say the avengers. batman was all over the place, plus where was batman. seemed like he only wore the suit briefly. the beginning of that bane fight was just rockem sockem robots, i thought batman had some moves, not just left hook right hook.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #312
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

TDKR.

In the words of the Riddler, "yours was good, but his was better."

Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #313
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderX View Post
This exactly. I wanted to see Dark Knight because of Ledgers brilliant performance, and pay tribute to his last work. This whole shooting tragedy hasn't stop me from wanting to go see Dark Knight Rising, or to hide in my house from the world or going to movies, but it has made me less enthusiatic about the film, as well as threats from fanboys to the critic who was going to give it a negative review. I mean, I love comics and movies,etc, but it's all just entertainment.Some people treat it as a religion or as a motivation to live out their dark fantasies.
I wondered about something yesterday: if they hadn't threatened that critic would this have played differently? I decided that the critic exchange was in fact a pretty big deal, and when the shooting occured it vindicated both the critic and the website's response. It may have even hurt the movie's reception. A lot of my friends are down on TDKR. The near universial praise for it is not present on the boards.

I remember after TDK you could go in the "negative reaction thread" and you'd read glowing reviews, or some comment like "they don't play it for you twice".

It also put a lot of pressure on the movie.

It's predecessor seems to have incited a rather violent fascination with the Joker...

...This one has a wrestler in it.

That's a pretty steep climb, no pun intended.

Like I've said before I'm not down on the movie. Fans should be pleased, it wasn't Spider-Man 3 or X-Men: The Last Stand. It just felt very clearly like the third best film of the franchise, and very firmly like the second best superhero movie of the summer, which when you consider it's competition is quite an acheivement in and of itself.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #314
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman

Ghost Rider.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #315
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie64 View Post
Ghost Rider.
Dammit, you're right.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #316
Greens
I'm wasted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
TDKR.

In the words of the Riddler, "yours was good, but his was better."

The Avengers was fun as hell but there were no stakes at all. There was a goddamn alien attack on NYC and I didn't feel for anyone. TDKR had me on the edge of my seat because I was truly interested in the fate of all these characters and Gotham itself. That doesn't mean half of the Avengers team should die in battle or whatever but I was more invested with TDKR.

Last edited by Greens; 07-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #317
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman

Quote:
Dammit, you're right.
Seriously though I honesty can't decide yet. Need to wait to BOTH are on DVD.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #318
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

The Avengers is a Friday night popcorn movie... great when your watching it but doesn't leave any real lasting impression.

The Dark Knight Rises was something more. It's just the better film to me.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #319
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I will say this, TDKR actually made me enjoy TA even more.

As dark, serious, and powerful TDKR is, TA is equally as fun, exciting, and invigorating.

Both are phenomenal. Both are movies to be proud of as a comic book fan, but the massive amount of plotting, character arc conclusions, and the incredible amount of emotional resonance in the film makes TDKR the better movie, IMO.

But again, it's akin to saying The Godfather is better than Star Wars, or Pulp Fiction is better than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #320
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

the avengers didnt strive to be anything more than a fun blockbuster, and it was extremely successful at doing that. while TDKR had the noble ambition to strive for more, but was far less successful in its endeavor.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #321
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Well then I'm glad TDKR strove to be something more... flaws and all.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #322
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I think Avengers strove in that it attempted to do something that's never been done before and the nay sayers said it wouldn't work. It appears simple because it didn't try to over complicate things.

I think Steve Jobs said it best “Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”

That's about the best description of Avengers anyone can make. Joss knew exactly what he wanted to do, and he set out with that end goal in mind. He threw out Zak Penn's script and completely started over (even though Penn is still credited), because he knew exactly the story he wanted to tell, and what he wanted to do with the characters.

Avengers is about flawlessness, not in storytelling, but in execution, and that's the most important part. Anyone can put a bunch of explosions on screen and make money. That's Transformers, but Joss did do something more, he made us care about the charcters, care about the interactions.

Now DKR had a totally different goal in mind. It was trying to conclude an epic journey, and from that standpoint it was a huge success. Where it failed was it was needlessly complicated, and took the focus off numerous key characters, and focused on others we don't care about. About 5-10 min of screen time is wasted on the special forces guys, who are totally unimportant to the story, add nothing to the plot, and are wiped out in seconds.

Again it's a successful film and will be memorable, but the film of 2012 everyone will remember is Avengers, and that's why it set records and kept drawing people back. If it were as brainless as Transformers, it would never have made 600M.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #323
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I still don't get why people didn't think the Avengers could work. Were they retarded? It's a pretty straightfoward concept and plot structure.

The only question mark I ever had with the film was if it was going to delve into Iron Man 2/Incredible Hulk-level mediocrity...but that has nothing to do with the actual premise.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #324
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I still don't get why people didn't think the Avengers could work. Were they retarded? It's a pretty straightfoward concept and plot structure.

The only question mark I ever had with the film was if it was going to delve into Iron Man 2/Incredible Hulk-level mediocrity...but that has nothing to do with the actual premise.
I have no clue, but it seems like everyone was saying doing the "team" movie was a bad idea and that they'd rather see solo movies in separate universes. That complaint pretty much went back to the beginning of Marvel Studios.

- Ultron V
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #325
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yep, and they're all dumb.

The only real danger involved with TA was that it would degenerate into brainless noise ala the Transformers sequels.

But that's a risk you'd run with any big spectacle superhero movie.