The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #426
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,571
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Admit that when you saw Avengers it blew you away, that Marvel had actually achieved what they first set out to do all those years ago with IM. Look at DC, they are no where NEAR getting the Justice League together.

I'm tempted to place a bet that Avengers 2 will make more than Star Wars 7 because the hype with crush everything around it.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #427
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

The Avengers definitely blew me away, but after the dust settled, the second time around watching it you realize TA has less heart than you actually thought. Iron Man definitely tops the MCU for me.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #428
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Admit that when you saw Avengers it blew you away, that Marvel had actually achieved what they first set out to do all those years ago with IM. Look at DC, they are no where NEAR getting the Justice League together.

I'm tempted to place a bet that Avengers 2 will make more than Star Wars 7 because the hype with crush everything around it.
I know. But that doesn't make it any better than it was. That's not saying it was bad, but what DC can or can't accomplish doesn't change the Avengers movie's perceptions I think.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #429
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,384
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Yeah, when I first saw it, sure. But on subsequent viewings, I don't really find much of anything to latch onto. My ratings for it went:
First: 9.5/10
Second: 9/10
Third: 8/10
Fourth: 8.5/10
Fifth: 7/10
Sixth: 6.5/10
Eighth (most recent one): 6/10

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #430
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,571
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

My first viewing of Avengers literally gave me goose bumps. I concede subsequent viewings don't hold up. I'm glad I saw Avengers as an adult because I don't think my heart could have taken it watching Avengers as a child.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #431
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,836
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Iron Man definitely tops the MCU for me.
Same here.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #432
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,836
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Yeah, when I first saw it, sure. But on subsequent viewings, I don't really find much of anything to latch onto. My ratings for it went:
First: 9.5/10
Second: 9/10
Third: 8/10
Fourth: 8.5/10
Fifth: 7/10
Sixth: 6.5/10
Eighth (most recent one): 6/10
First viewing was an 8 for me and it's still the same. I knew right when I saw it that I hated the first 10-15 minutes. In fact I was kind of nervous in the theater wondering if it was going to get better, especially after hearing from people I trusted that I would love it if I love IM1. Thankfully the rest of the movie is a million times better than that opening scene. IM1 still holds up better overall but I rate them both as 8's.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #433
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Its very funny to go back and read how cocky and downright dismissive batfans were of The Avengers prior to opening weekend. lol. Same thing with MOS this year, they were saying it would be so much better critically than IM3, and now its in danger of being the worst reviewed CBM of the year.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #434
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,204
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

To be fair, I'd say a lot of those reviews are pretty unfair because they pretty much based all their reviews by trying to compare it to Reeve and being disappointed that the tone wasn't like Reeve's movies.

__________________
If you vote for me against Sawyer tomorrow I will change my username to the most popular name suggested in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #435
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,836
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Its very funny to go back and read how cocky and downright dismissive batfans were of The Avengers prior to opening weekend. lol. Same thing with MOS this year, they were saying it would be so much better critically than IM3, and now its in danger of being the worst reviewed CBM of the year.
No worse than the Iron Man fans gloating before TDK came out that there was no way a sequel to BB could outgross IM1 because BB made significantly less than IM1.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #436
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Its very funny to go back and read how cocky and downright dismissive batfans were of The Avengers prior to opening weekend. lol. Same thing with MOS this year, they were saying it would be so much better critically than IM3, and now its in danger of being the worst reviewed CBM of the year.
It does suck that the two better films didn't do well critically or financially to the lesser ones

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #437
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Its very funny to go back and read how cocky and downright dismissive batfans were of The Avengers prior to opening weekend. lol. Same thing with MOS this year, they were saying it would be so much better critically than IM3, and now its in danger of being the worst reviewed CBM of the year.
Perhaps. Wolverine has me worried, though. Not counting it out before I see it of course, but what I've seen from trailers hasn't left me impressed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
To be fair, I'd say a lot of those reviews are pretty unfair because they pretty much based all their reviews by trying to compare it to Reeve and being disappointed that the tone wasn't like Reeve's movies.
But that isn't fair, because it isn't true. Of the negative reviews I've read, none of the critics said that this movie should have aped the tone of the Donner films in an exact sense. What I interpreted from such remarks were the critics contrasting what did work in the Donner films with what didn't work here. It's not the same thing. Just as the recent slew of horror remakes were inevitably compared & contrasted to their predecessors, the same applies here.

Probably the one unreasonable review I've read was Rex Reed's. Still, for every one Rex Reed/Armond White(who surprisingly enjoyed it), I can point out ten who will mindlessly shower the film with praise, ignoring and/or disregarding its flaws completely. Personally, I think that's just as reprehensible, but most folks don't seem to have a problem with that for whatever reason. If anything is unfair, it's how criticism is scrutinized so severely. Nothing wrong with enjoying a film while still seeing its flaws.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #438
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,984
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
It does suck that the two better films didn't do well critically or financially to the lesser ones
If you're talking about The Man of Steel, no, it wasn't a very good film, entertaining? Perhaps.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #439
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,235
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Its very funny to go back and read how cocky and downright dismissive batfans were of The Avengers prior to opening weekend. lol. Same thing with MOS this year, they were saying it would be so much better critically than IM3, and now its in danger of being the worst reviewed CBM of the year.

It is hilarious to look back at old threads and read all of the premature boasting from TDKR/MOS fans. It was even funnier watching the reactions to MOS's RT implosion in real time, particularly in light of all the gloating its fans indulged in when IM3's reviews came in. When IM3 hit 78% on RT: "See, the critics hate it! That proves it's an awful film!" When MOS dropped into the sewer at 56%: "The critics are wrong! MOS is a great film! RT scores are meaningless!"

Pride goes before a fall, and apparently hypocrisy follows hard on its heels.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #440
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It is hilarious to look back at old threads and read all of the premature boasting from TDKR/MOS fans. It was even funnier watching the reactions to MOS's RT implosion in real time, particularly in light of all the gloating its fans indulged in when IM3's reviews came in. When IM3 hit 78% on RT: "See, the critics hate it! That proves it's an awful film!" When MOS dropped into the sewer at 56%: "The critics are wrong! MOS is a great film! RT scores are meaningless!"

Pride goes before a fall, and apparently hypocrisy follows hard on its heels.
Exactly. Generally when movies I'm really excited to see come out like IM3, Thor 2, or Star Trek Into Darkness I avoid the ensuing RT drama. When movies I don't have a vested interest in like Man of Steel or Prometheus come out, I always check out the real time reactions, just for the hypocrisy and laughs.

Even if I personally disagree with RT like with TDKR and SM2, they're usually spot on in assessing the general consensus for films in this genre.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #441
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It is hilarious to look back at old threads and read all of the premature boasting from TDKR/MOS fans. It was even funnier watching the reactions to MOS's RT implosion in real time, particularly in light of all the gloating its fans indulged in when IM3's reviews came in. When IM3 hit 78% on RT: "See, the critics hate it! That proves it's an awful film!" When MOS dropped into the sewer at 56%: "The critics are wrong! MOS is a great film! RT scores are meaningless!"

Pride goes before a fall, and apparently hypocrisy follows hard on its heels.
haha, yeah this killed me. Classic case of dismissing stats that don't align with your opinion.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #442
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If you're talking about The Man of Steel, no, it wasn't a very good film, entertaining? Perhaps.
It was, but okay.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #443
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
haha, yeah this killed me. Classic case of dismissing stats that don't align with your opinion.
^I'm anxious to know when the critics will start being 'right' again.

My take on the whole matter is this - if you're so certain that you like a movie, there's no need to be so vocal and outspoken towards the criticism it receives. To me, someone who goes after criticism like a rabid attack dog has already acquiesced to the idea that their beloved film ain't quite as lovely as they loudly proclaim it to be. The increasing amount of red herrings and straw man arguments brought up in response to criticism only furthers this notion for me.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #444
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Exactly. There's a reason why 300, Watchmen, and Man of Steel have mixed/poor ratings, and it isn't because hundreds of critics have it out for Snyder. I enjoyed 300 and MOS to some extent but after going to film school for four years, I can understand why his films haven't received good reviews for the most part.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #445
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
^I'm anxious to know when the critics will start being 'right' again.

My take on the whole matter is this - if you're so certain that you like a movie, there's no need to be so vocal and outspoken towards the criticism it receives. To me, someone who goes after criticism like a rabid attack dog has already acquiesced to the idea that their beloved film ain't quite as lovely as they loudly proclaim it to be. The increasing amount of red herrings and straw man arguments brought up in response to criticism only furthers this notion for me.
They will be 'right' as soon as MOS 2 gets good reviews lol.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #446
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Exactly. There's a reason why 300, Watchmen, and Man of Steel have mixed/poor ratings, and it isn't because hundreds of critics have it out for Snyder. I enjoyed 300 and MOS to some extent but after going to film school for four years, I can understand why his films haven't received good reviews for the most part.
The idea that critics have it out for Snyder was the dumbest excuse ever. Lets be real, Snyder hasn't been relevant long enough to garner a hate brigade. The only director i can think of that is treated somewhat unfairly is Michael Bay. He has detractors that will condemn his movies no matter what because they just don't like the guy. Snyder isn't at that level and its not like 300, Sucker Punch etc were worthy of critical acclaim. Dawn of the Dead was good and it got good critic scores. Watchmen was solid, and most people who have read the book will probably like it. But it didnt give the GA an 'in' and hence it was polarizing.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #447
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,335
Awesome Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
They will be 'right' as soon as MOS 2 gets good reviews lol.
With Snyder & Goyer still on board? We'll be waiting, alright.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #448
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,041
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I only listen to audience and top critics...

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #449
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,235
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
haha, yeah this killed me. Classic case of dismissing stats that don't align with your opinion.
Very true. A whole lot of people who started out believing that certain metrics were an objective measure of a film's quality had sudden changes of heart when their favorite films came up short by those same measuring sticks. Whether it's Rotten Tomatoes scores or box office performance, when some movies fail to measure up fans get defensive quickly and want to either move the yardsticks or discard them altogether.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #450
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Very true. A whole lot of people who started out believing that certain metrics were an objective measure of a film's quality had sudden changes of heart when their favorite films came up short by those same measuring sticks. Whether it's Rotten Tomatoes scores or box office performance, when some movies fail to measure up fans get defensive quickly and want to either move the yardsticks or discard them altogether.


As you said...very true.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.