The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #451
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Very true. A whole lot of people who started out believing that certain metrics were an objective measure of a film's quality had sudden changes of heart when their favorite films came up short by those same measuring sticks. Whether it's Rotten Tomatoes scores or box office performance, when some movies fail to measure up fans get defensive quickly and want to either move the yardsticks or discard them altogether.
I remember a similar thing happening three years ago when Iron Man 2 hit, a certain group of fans not only were calling it a critical disappointment, but a financial disappointment because it wasn't about to beat out it's predecessor, only in OS did it make more money than IM1, but overseas money "didn't count" only domestic numbers counted.

A few months later, Inception hit and while it didn't beat IM2 domestically it beat it overseas, THEN all of a sudden OS money did count.

Happens a lot. I'm not surprised by what happened when MOS hit and how quickly people changed their tune.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #452
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

user rating's is what's important so Avengers win...

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #453
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Very true. A whole lot of people who started out believing that certain metrics were an objective measure of a film's quality had sudden changes of heart when their favorite films came up short by those same measuring sticks. Whether it's Rotten Tomatoes scores or box office performance, when some movies fail to measure up fans get defensive quickly and want to either move the yardsticks or discard them altogether.
Yep. I remember when IM3 came out:

Fact: IM3 made 1.2 billion.
People: Box office is no indication of quality. IM3 sucks, look at its 'middling' critic scores. Burn Shane Black!

When MOS came out:
Fact: It had poor critic scores across the board.
People: Who cares about critics? make up your own mind. Its the audience that matters. Look at how well its performing at the box office!

lol. the hypocrisy floors me on these boards sometimes. You know what, i would actually be fine if some of these posters just come out and say. "Yes i'm mad. look, i don't like Marvel Studios, i don't lke the stuff they put out, i'm pissed and somewhat envious because of how ridiculously successful they've become and i want my favorite company to have that level of success, popularity and consistency as well."

I can actually respect that. Sports fans feel that way all the time concerning rival teams. But instead u see people make these snide passive aggressive statements acting like their unbiased when its laughably clear that they have an agenda.

T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #454
Anno_Domini
Banned User

This thread has become a bash DC films orgy.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #455
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Are you intimidated?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?

Last edited by Lord; 07-03-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #456
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
There hasn't been any DC film bashing.

I see more critic bashing than DC film bashing.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #457
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Are you intimidated?
Oh yes, I'm that easily intimidated

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #458
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Yep. I remember when IM3 came out:

Fact: IM3 made 1.2 billion.
People: Box office is no indication of quality. IM3 sucks, look at its 'middling' critic scores. Burn Shane Black!

When MOS came out:
Fact: It had poor critic scores across the board.
People: Who cares about critics? make up your own mind. Its the audience that matters. Look at how well its performing at the box office!

lol. the hypocrisy floors me on these boards sometimes. You know what, i would actually be fine if some of these posters just come out and say. "Yes i'm mad. look, i don't like Marvel Studios, i don't lke the stuff they put out, i'm pissed and somewhat envious because of how ridiculously successful they've become and i want my favorite company to have that level of success, popularity and consistency as well."

I can actually respect that. Sports fans feel that way all the time concerning rival teams. But instead u see people make these snide passive aggressive statements acting like their unbiased when its laughably clear that they have an agenda.
Nailed it. My two favorite characters are Cap and Thor, but I generally like DC over Marvel and I would do anything for a MCU scenario with DC properties. Marvel was in a little bit of a rut with IM2 and TIH, but have bounced back for four above average films in Thor, CA:TFA, TA, and IM3 with no sign of looking back. That's not to mention Sony and Fox finally getting their Spider-Man and X-Men franchises finally sorted out.

Meanwhile the last three DC films have been GL, TDKR, MOS. Of course I'm peeved lol. I'm glad that I actually can enjoy both companies and wallow in Marvel's dominating success at the cinemas, but I long for a solid DC film- something I personally haven't seen for five years.

Last edited by Hammer!; 07-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #459
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post

Meanwhile the last three DC films have been GL, TDKR, MOS. Of course I'm peeved lol. I'm glad that I actually can enjoy both companies and wallow in Marvel's dominating success at the cinemas, but I long for a solid DC film- something I personally haven't seen for five years.
Yeah on the bright side, DC dominates in the animation area. Their DC Universe Original Movies are far better than the garbage Marvel puts out. Even Teen Titans Go is better than the likes of Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble is kinda a disappointment for me.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #460
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Avengers Assemble was a comic book brought to life, just amazing. The Dark Knight Rises was good but far too much bugged me.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #461
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Avengers Assemble was a comic book brought to life, just amazing. The Dark Knight Rises was good but far too much bugged me.
Oh I forgot it was called that in the UK, I loved The Avengers movie, the new cartoon called Avengers Assemble is awful. TDKR was a big disappointment for me, it did have some nice stuff but alot of the film I wasn't intrigued by like with Avengers. Is the new Avengers cartoon also called Avengers Assemble in the UK as it is in the US?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #462
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Oh I forgot it was called that in the UK, I loved The Avengers movie, the new cartoon called Avengers Assemble is awful. TDKR was a big disappointment for me, it did have some nice stuff but alot of the film I wasn't intrigued by like with Avengers. Is the new Avengers cartoon also called Avengers Assemble in the UK as it is in the US?
Yeah it was because we had a popular show in the UK back in the 60s and beyond (there was also ahollywood remake i think innthe 90s) called the Avengers so they called The Avengers movie; Avengers Assemble here to differentiate. I actually think I prefer the Assemble on the end.

I'm not sure actually sometimes we get cartoons over here straight away and others not. I haven't seen it advertised.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #463
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah it was because we had a popular show in the UK back in the 60s and beyond (there was also ahollywood remake i think innthe 90s) called the Avengers so they called The Avengers movie; Avengers Assemble here to differentiate. I actually think I prefer the Assemble on the end.

I'm not sure actually sometimes we get cartoons over here straight away and others not. I haven't seen it advertised.
Yeah I figure that's why it had a different title, its not even really called The Avengers here, the word Marvel's is actually part of the title, not a Marvel logo but in the same text as The Avengers logo....then there is a red Marvel logo somewhere nearby lol. "Marvel's The Avengers"

Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #464
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Yeah I figure that's why it had a different title, its not even really called The Avengers here, the word Marvel's is actually part of the title, not a Marvel logo but in the same text as The Avengers logo....then there is a red Marvel logo somewhere nearby lol. "Marvel's The Avengers"
Yeah wonder why they didn't just call it that over here too.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #465
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
user rating's is what's important so Avengers win...
No, because TDKR won metacritic and IMDB. Neither win overall. The differences between their scores in these websites are pretty tiny.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #466
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

TDKR was pretty much riding the coat tails of the previous film. Upon subsequent viewings it has not held up at all. Avengers was the film of summer 2012, just as TDK was in 2008.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #467
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Avengers is higher on RT (user)

Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #468
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

For completely different reasons I rate both movies the same.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #469
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
For completely different reasons I rate both movies the same.
You didn't like the avengers?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #470
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Both these movies are pretty even, as far as I'm concerned.

2012 kicked this years ass when it came to the major marvel/dc tentpole film.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #471
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The Avengers was pretty much riding the coat tails of the previous films. Upon subsequent viewings it has not held up at all. The Dark Knight Rises was the film of summer 2012, just as TDK was in 2008.
This is pretty much how I feel, the exact same with the roles reversed.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #472
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

There isn't much reason to compare them in all honesty. They are very different movies with different goals, intonations, and methods.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #473
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
There isn't much reason to compare them in all honesty. They are very different movies with different goals, intonations, and methods.
This is 100% true.

That said, I'm just not a fan of TA. I recently gave it another chance since they added it to Netflix, and I still am just not feeling the movie. Personally I enjoyed IM3 quite a bit more, which I know is semi-blasphemy on these boards.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #474
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
TDKR was pretty much riding the coat tails of the previous film. Upon subsequent viewings it has not held up at all. Avengers was the film of summer 2012, just as TDK was in 2008.
You may be a little biased.

I've heard many people say the opposite. Both movies were the movies of the summer, let us all leave it at that because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise (aside from BO but if you want to admit TF: DOM is one of the greatest movies ever go ahead).

But people have different opinions on which movies they enjoyed better.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #475
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
You may be a little biased.

I've heard many people say the opposite. Both movies were the movies of the summer, let us all leave it at that because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise (aside from BO but if you want to admit TF: DOM is one of the greatest movies ever go ahead).

But people have different opinions on which movies they enjoyed better.
Avengers pretty much swept up every significant award, not to mention got an Oscar nomination which TDKR gone none, despite the fanboys telling us it was going to win best picture.

As far as being biased, everyone has their biases. I said TDK was the film of summer 2008, but sorry Avengers was the film of summer 2012. No matter who you were young or old, or demographic, that was the movie everyone saw last year.

I'll give that TDKR had some tragic events surrounding it, and that hurt it's performance. That didn't change the fact that a lot of people found it greatly disappointing, and some sloppy writing.