The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #526
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I don't think it is funny. Very few people expected The Avengers to outgross the sequel to The Dark Knight, which gross over a billion at the box office. It's a pretty logical prediction, especially since Only Iron Man was a huge blockbuster while Thor and Captain America were merely moderate successes and the Incredible Hulk was a box office dud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Going to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes in the first place is a bad idea in its entirety.
No it's not. Neither are a bad idea at all.

The real problem is people placing an incredibly huge amount of stock in those websites.

Potential Username Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #527
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I don't think it is funny. Very few people expected The Avengers to outgross the sequel to The Dark Knight, which gross over a billion at the box office. It's a pretty logical prediction, especially since Only Iron Man was a huge blockbuster while Thor and Captain America were merely moderate successes and the Incredible Hulk was a box office dud.
Yeah this. Its not funny. The logical assumption based on the facts and the data we had was that The Avengers was going to be a hit, but TDKR was going to be bigger. The Avengers was a rare case.

What's funny is the posts who claimed The Amazing Spiderman would be a huge disaster because people weren't going to see it because the reboot was too soon, too rushed blah blah even though every fact points to anything Spiderman being successful, yet they were making broad assumptions AGAINST logic and of course, they were wrong. The Amazing Spiderman was a pretty good Box Office success, top 5 of the year in the States I think. That's funny, because their biased-ness blinded them into making an ridiculous claim against facts and against history, where as people claiming TDKR was going to make more money than The Avengers was the most logical assumption based on history of the B.O. regarding the two properties and such.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #528
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

lol TA is better than TDKR

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I'll bet you 40% of DC's film slate either wont be released or pushed back!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #529
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Yeah this. Its not funny. The logical assumption based on the facts and the data we had was that The Avengers was going to be a hit, but TDKR was going to be bigger. The Avengers was a rare case.

What's funny is the posts who claimed The Amazing Spiderman would be a huge disaster because people weren't going to see it because the reboot was too soon, too rushed blah blah even though every fact points to anything Spiderman being successful, yet they were making broad assumptions AGAINST logic and of course, they were wrong. The Amazing Spiderman was a pretty good Box Office success, top 5 of the year in the States I think. That's funny, because their biased-ness blinded them into making an ridiculous claim against facts and against history, where as people claiming TDKR was going to make more money than The Avengers was the most logical assumption based on history of the B.O. regarding the two properties and such.
The way I see it, TDKR didn't underperform but TA overperformed.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #530
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
The way I see it, TDKR didn't underperform but TA overperformed.
Your right, but it didn't make much more than TDK.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I'll bet you 40% of DC's film slate either wont be released or pushed back!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #531
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Your right, but it didn't make much more than TDK.
People didn't really think it would. I was on TDKR BO thread and a lot of people (fans included) doubted that it would even gross as much as TDK.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #532
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
People didn't really think it would. I was on TDKR BO thread and a lot of people (fans included) doubted that it would even gross as much as TDK.
It was following what is regarded as the greatest CBM of all time.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #533
HighFivingMF
Welp.

And it was on pace to make quite a bit more. Predictions even pegged it as opening as high as 200 million... Then James Holmes happened. There's no telling how much it would have made without the stigma of a nationally-reported tragedy during the movie's very first showing that made people decide not to go out of respect or fear. It's amazing that it made what it did.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #534
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was following what is regarded as the greatest CBM of all time.
That doesn't really mean anything. Domestically it made less than TDK but internationally it made more than TDK. I don't know what conclusion to draw from that.

It also made more in the UK than TA.

Either way people still doubted it would even make $1 billion so I don't see how it could have underperformed. It performed just about right IMO.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #535
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Fair enough about the shooting. I am British but I couldn't care if one film made more than the other in the UK or US. No country is more important so WW is where it's at!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #536
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fair enough about the shooting. I am British but I couldn't care if one film made more than the other in the UK or US. No country is more important so WW is where it's at!
I just found it odd, you don't have to care.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #537
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
And it was on pace to make quite a bit more. Predictions even pegged it as opening as high as 200 million... Then James Holmes happened. There's no telling how much it would have made without the stigma of a nationally-reported tragedy during the movie's very first showing that made people decide not to go out of respect or fear. It's amazing that it made what it did.
Absolutely. I was puzzled as to why nobody ad mentioned that before as a strong factor. We'll never know how TDKR would have performed in regular conditions.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #538
Namor!
The Submariner!!!

I don't think it would have made 1.5 billion.

Namor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #539
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
I was in those threads and the consensus was that people thought it would make more Worldwide, but would make less domestically, which it did.

Most people did think it would make a billion, especially after The Avengers.

Quote:
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #540
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor! View Post
I don't think it would have made 1.5 billion.
Well, all we can do is think/not think this/that.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #541
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I not only think that, I know it wouldn't have made $1.5 billion. The tragedy would did not cause this movie to lose 40%+. The Dark Knight Rises was still $416 million away from $1.5 billion. No way the tragedy caused this movie to lose that much money.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #542
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I not only think that, I know it wouldn't have made $1.5 billion. The tragedy would did not cause this movie to lose 40%+. The Dark Knight Rises was still $416 million away from $1.5 billion. No way the tragedy caused this movie to lose that much money.
I agree but it could have made $1.2 billion (especially with 3D boost).

Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #543
Namor!
The Submariner!!!

Well we know Batman/Superman will be in 3D and so will Avengers AOU so that will be a fair fight.

Namor! is offline   Reply With Quote