The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #251
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
And the Avengers redesign looks more like Ang's Hulk! hahahahahaha!
And that means what?

As for sequels, I agree I'd rather get 1 movie I love over 3 I don't like. Good thing the Hulk movie that is more likely to be sequeled (thanks to Avengers) I like more

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #252
Hurm...
Side-Kick

The drama in Hulk (2003) is phenomenal and the performances by Bana and Nolte are superb. I found TIH lacking substance.

It's all about what you enjoy more in a Hulk flick, action or drama. The psychology of Bruce Banner appeals to me more than Hulk bashing a villain's brains in.

However, I respect people who want an action-oriented Hulk flick. His name is the HULK after all.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Last edited by Hurm...; 03-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #253
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And that means what?

As for sequels, I agree I'd rather get 1 movie I love over 3 I don't like. Good thing the Hulk movie that is more likely to be sequeled (thanks to Avengers) I like more
TIH getting sequels. Yes, with a different director and actors (not to mention Hulk design). Not very usual for movies people say everybody loved. And, as you say, thanks to Avengers not the movie itself.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #254
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
TIH getting sequels. Yes, with a different director and actors (not to mention Hulk design). Not very usual for movies people say everybody loved. And, as you say, thanks to Avengers not the movie itself.
Never said everyone loved it. Just said it's WOM was better than people are making it out to be. And Norton would be in Avengers and any Hulk sequels after Avengers if he and the studio didn't have personal issues. So, not really the fault of the movie itself. That is behind the scene stuff on that count. But, if it is sequeled, it would be due to Avengers and not TIH itself. Here we agree.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #255
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not surprising. ILM did do Lee's Hulk.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #256
NasFiasco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
The drama in Hulk (2003) is phenomenal and the performances by Bana and Nolte are superb. I found TIH lacking substance.

It's all about what you enjoy more in a Hulk flick, action or drama. The psychology of Bruce Banner appeals to me more than Hulk bashing a villain's brains in.

However, I respect people who want an action-oriented Hulk flick. His name is the HULK after all.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I gotta agree with you. Forgive me if it's been said already, but the main reason Ang Lee's hulk was criticized (by friends/family) was because the special effects weren't up to everyones standards. I remember walking out of the theater and hearing someone say "he looks like gumby on steroids." If you took the cgi from tih and placed it in Ang Lee's version I think it would have been better received. Also, Ang Lee got dicked around by the studio a bit and they sort of suppressed some of his ideas which hurt the film.

Regardless, I enjoyed Ang Lee's artistic version very much. I wanted to like TIH more, but I felt it was too simplified and unoriginal compared to the complexity of the first.

NasFiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #257
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Never said everyone loved it. Just said it's WOM was better than people are making it out to be. And Norton would be in Avengers and any Hulk sequels after Avengers if he and the studio didn't have personal issues. So, not really the fault of the movie itself. That is behind the scene stuff on that count. But, if it is sequeled, it would be due to Avengers and not TIH itself. Here we agree.
Funny thing is that people are blaming Marvel for having issues with Norton and not bring him back, but Norton has had a history of pissing off directors and producers, most famously in American History X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #258
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
It's like I said before. I find TIH a much more superior movie because it succeeds at what it does a lot more than ALH. It succeeds at being a simpler, fun action movie as I find decisions made in ALH questionable, and some of the basic film mechanics to be not as stong either.

Quote:
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #259
The Morningstar
Banned User

What decisions do you find questionable?

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #260
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
What decisions do you find questionable?
Military letting David see Bruce, Hulk Poodles, Pacing issues, the whole artsy feel of it, the puffy look of Hulk, comic book style presentation and Eric Bana as Banner.

Quote:
The whole franchise/trilogy mentality annoys me anyway. It's something studios and money men should be worried about, not fans. Just hope for a great movie. If it is great and gets a sequel, fantastic. It should be like the good old days, where a sequel was a bonus, the cherry on top. Not this "franchise or nothing!" mentality people have today.
I agree that fans care too much about business, to the point that they act like they're business men themselves. Look at this thread, and there's no many statistics being thrown around.

The franchise mentality has existed since Star Wars, and the sequel has been the cherry on top ever since. I'd say the only times in which the sequel was a bonus were the years between Godfather Part II and Empire Strikes back.

Quote:

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 03-13-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #261
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
I'm sorry but if the WOM on TIH was so good the movie wouldnt have had such big drop-offs and would have made more money. Angs movie, may, MAY have effected the opening weekend, but then anything after that would have been all down to TIH and how many people were telling others to go see it. Judging by the drop-offs not many people did, hence the movie not making that much more than Ang's original.

TIH even had a more high profile actor in the lead than Ang's movie did as well.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)Hobbit: BOTFA-9(9)HTTYD 2-9(10)The Guest-8.5(11)WOWS-8.5(12)Godzilla-8(13)Neighbours-8(14)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(15)Lego Movie-7.5(16)Transformers: AOE-7.5(17)Robocop-7.5(18)SC: ADTDF-7(19)300:ROAE-7(20)Equalizer-7(21)MWTDITW-7(22)47 Ronin-6(23)Monuments Men-5(24)Ride Along-5(25)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #262
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I'm sorry but if the WOM on TIH was so good the movie wouldnt have had such big drop-offs and would have made more money. Angs movie, may, MAY have effected the opening weekend, but then anything after that would have been all down to TIH and how many people were telling others to go see it. Judging by the drop-offs not many people did, hence the movie not making that much more than Ang's original.

TIH even had a more high profile actor in the lead than Ang's movie did as well.
Hard to properly gage this, but every review site I go on, it has good scores with the GA. So, in my book, means it has more fans than not.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #263
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:

That's because no one is saying that TIH was amazing. We're saying that Ang Lee's Hulk did hurt it, and it had a normal dropoff of movies that were positively received by the audience, which means it had a good WOM unlike ALH, in which I remember its dropoff actually setting a record at the time.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #264
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Hard to properly gage this, but every review site I go on, it has good scores with the GA. So, in my book, means it has more fans than not.
Thats just the internet though, which is mostly made up of fan-boys and not the average movie goer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That's because no one is saying that TIH was amazing. We're saying that Ang Lee's Hulk did hurt it, and it had a normal dropoff of movies that were positively received by the audience, which means it had a good WOM unlike ALH, in which I remember its dropoff actually setting a record at the time.
There drops were not normal of movies positively recieved, they were normal for a movie that didnt engage the GA, simple as. The fact that both movies had around the same amount made in DVD sales just shows it wasnt really better thought of than Ang's movie with the GA.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)Hobbit: BOTFA-9(9)HTTYD 2-9(10)The Guest-8.5(11)WOWS-8.5(12)Godzilla-8(13)Neighbours-8(14)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(15)Lego Movie-7.5(16)Transformers: AOE-7.5(17)Robocop-7.5(18)SC: ADTDF-7(19)300:ROAE-7(20)Equalizer-7(21)MWTDITW-7(22)47 Ronin-6(23)Monuments Men-5(24)Ride Along-5(25)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #265
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Thats just the internet though, which is mostly made up of fan-boys and not the average movie goer.

There drops were not normal of movies positively recieved, they were normal for a movie that didnt engage the GA, simple as. The fact that both movies had around the same amount made in DVD sales just shows it wasnt really better thought of than Ang's movie with the GA.
Not true, one of the best indicators, CinemaScore, which documents exit polling of movie goers, had the overall cinemascore for Hulk at an A-

http://www.deadline.com/2008/06/hulk...-off-saturday/

I'm still trying to find the cinemascore for ALH.

Also, IMDB and RT are one of the better indicators of filmgoers who aren't just fanboys, so I'm calling excuses.

Quote:

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 03-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #266
BigThor
Thor's back in town!

Quote:
agree that fans care too much about business, to the point that they act like they're business men themselves. Look at this thread, and there's no many statistics being thrown around.

The franchise mentality has existed since Star Wars, and the sequel has been the cherry on top ever since. I'd say the only times in which the sequel was a bonus were the years between Godfather Part II and Empire Strikes back.
Very true, I want to see franchises of my favorite films as well but some people just go too far with the "oh I think I'ma business man/woman" attitude.

Keeping track of the success level of films is fun and all, but alot of fans go overboard and turn it into "I want this film to make more than this film" mentality and write off successful films because they aren't mega-hits.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #267
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Not true, one of the best indicators, CinemaScore, which documents exit polling of movie goers, had the overall cinemascore for Hulk at an A-

http://www.deadline.com/2008/06/hulk...-off-saturday/

I'm still trying to find the cinemascore for ALH.

Also, IMDB and RT are one of the better indicators of filmgoers who aren't just fanboys, so I'm calling excuses.
PW, ANYONE who goes on the internet to discuss a movie after seeing it is a fanboy, or a lot closer to a fanboy than a GA member. I have a lot of friends (no boast just making a point) and I am the ONLY who goes online to discuss movies I have seen. All the others watch the movie, talk about it with their friends and thats it. People who discuss movies on web-sites of fanboys of movies who it is actually a hobby for. The GA dont do this kind of stuff.

And Cinemascore wont count either, a few people from a few screening will not amount to an overall GA consensus. MONEY talks Parker Wayne, and the WOM for TIH just wasnt that good, it was generally better than for Ang's movie (though over the years many have changed their mindset on that movie), but still not that good.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #268
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

There's a difference between discussing it (like on this board) and rating a movie. There are playing of non fanboys who rate movies, and they found TIH to be superior to Hulk. You can't simply judge what the audience thinks of a movie based on box office alone because many different factors go into it. You're pretty much writing off every single source that thought it was good in exchange for box office receipts that were tainted by the movie before. It was an uphill climb for TIH because of Ang Lee's Hulk. History has shown that a preceeding movie failing (and the Hulk failed in the audience eyes, even by your logic because its record dropoffs) will affect the succeeding movie, especially one in which the predecessor faced a near 70% which was at the time a record for a movie with that huge an opening weekend and with much of the GA believing TIH was a sequel to Hulk.

Plus, Universal dropped the ball marketing wise on TIH, which was widely reported.

There's no way to screen the whole GA consensus. Cinemascore, imdb, and RT are the closest thing to that, and people liked TIH a lot more than Hulk.

People mentioned X-men First Class before. It made around the same amount of money, and people raved over it.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #269
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Just re watched Hulk on Starz!

It has aged incredibly well for me and this movie along with Batman Begins and Spider-Man rank as some of the best origin films to date.

The acting is incredibly solid. For the exception of the guy playing Talbot (who's performance I personally still enjoyed) everyone is dedicated to their role and while some say Nolte is "overacting" he's simply playing the role of a demented criminal with ideas of grandeur with a deep rooted god complex and he plays it perfectly.

Love this movie through and through.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 03-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #270
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Just re watched Hulk on Starz!

It has aged incredibly well for me and this movie along with Batman Begins and Spider-Man rank as some of the best origin films to date.

The acting is incredibly solid. For the exception of the guy playing Talbot (who's performance I personally still enjoyed) everyone is dedicated to their role and while some say Nolte is "overacting" he's simply playing the role of a demented criminal with ideas of grandeur with a deep rooted god complex and he plays it perfectly.

Love this movie through and through.
Same here. I think I like Hulk better but I still like TIH a lot also. Sure Hulk could have looked a little better in H03. I think the main thing that could have should have been different was the color of the Hulk. I think if the H03 was the same color as H08 he would look way better. Does anybody else think young Bruce in H03 looks kinda like Mark Ruffalo? I also like General Ross better in Hulk than in TIH. But I am a little biased towards Sam Elliott. I also like Jennifer Connelly better than Liv Tyler. I like Liv Tyler but I'm not a big fan of her Betty Ross. I just think Jennifer Connelly performence was more believable. Personaly I think I would rather see a continuation of the H03 but I don't see that happening.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #271
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:

Who cares about the design?? Ang's story sucked...not the design.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #272
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:

One thing to consider with TIH making slightly more money than Ang's movie is inflation. Ticket prices were obviously higher in 2008 than in 2003, and when you take that into account Ang's movie was more profitable.

Ang's Hulk could beat up TIH Hulk too! *farts and then leaves the ensuing madness*

Yes. That is a quote from a rapper.
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #273
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
One thing to consider with TIH making slightly more money than Ang's movie is inflation. Ticket prices were obviously higher in 2008 than in 2003, and when you take that into account Ang's movie was more profitable.

Ang's Hulk could beat up TIH Hulk too! *farts and then leaves the ensuing madness*

Oh pleeeez....now you're really reaching. It's not that complex. Word-of-mouth kills movies. The word of mouth among most fans was disappointment! Yeah...."some" love it. They dug all the psychological crap that didn't fit. They liked the silly comic book panels. They like Sam Elliot's lifeless performance. They even like The Absorbing Dad at the end.
But obviously those that disliked it, out-numbered the Ang Lee fan club.

There were very little fans going back to see it again (me being one of them). That's the bottom line. TIH hit every note....even had the right guy that looked like Banner (Ed Norton). Was it everything I wished for? No. But it was still better written and better paced. And connecting it with the Marvel Movie Universe was a keeper!

I think TIH would have made even more money, if Ang's movie hadn't left such a bad taste in fans' mouths.

Inflation.....good grief.

Last edited by Shazam; 03-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #274
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Oh pleeeez....now you're really reaching. It's not that complex. Word-of-mouth kills movies. The word of mouth among most fans was disappointment! Yeah...."some" love it. They dug all the psychological crap that didn't fit. They liked the silly comic book panels. They like Sam Elliot's lifeless performance. They even like The Absorbing Dad at the end.

There were very little fans going back to see it again (me being one of them). That's the bottom line. TIH hit every note....even had the right guy that looked like Banner (Ed Norton). Was it everything I wished for? No. But it was still better written and better paced. And connecting it with the Marvel Movie Universe was a keeper!

Yeah with or without inflation, TIH didn't make it.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #275
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

I think TIH would have made evn more money, if Ang's movie hadn't left such a bad taste in fans' mouths.

Batman Begins would have made so much more money if it wasn't for Batman and Robin. Sucks we never got a sequel to that movie.

It's nice you like TIH better. Good for you, but a poll on an online forum doesn't dictate what movie is better. It's just opinions ya know. When it comes to box office that doesn't even matter since neither did well enough to get a sequel anyway. I do find it silly that people keep blaming TIH's bad box office on Ang's movie. If that were the case then the sarcasm at the beginning of my post wouldn't be sarcasm...or would it? Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn!

Yes. That is a quote from a rapper.
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote