The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #301
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Wait, wait, wait.

Parker, you don't think Captain America's score was memorable? His main theme is like one of the best there is.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #302
The Morningstar
Banned User

I thought Thor and Cap's scores were decent. Not the whole of them, but they both have those "hummable" motifs that is needed for these kinds of films.

And Star Spangled Man is awesome, can't believe it didn't get an Oscar nom for original song.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #303
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Here's my problem with Ang Lee's Hulk. There is a such thing as too much depth, and trying to add too much depth to scenes to the point that it hurts the pacing and flow of the movie. There is too much exposition.

I like TIH, but don't love it for some of the reason you stated. You guys are right about some of the flaws of TIH, but at the same time like me and Spider-Fan have been saying, it's more than just Hulk Smashing things. To me, it was just better made movie that was more entertaining because it didn't over reach.

Once again, I have no problem with people liking Hulk, but still having this mentality that people who like TIH are the ADD crowd like you and AVE are implying is wrong.
Personally for me you can never really have too much depth, and for me Hulk didnt, it had the perfect amount of depth, there is still plenty of thing about the psychological side of Banner/Hulk that could have been explored more in the sequel. Like the hate they have for each other wasnt really explored that much beyond the mirror scene, so I dont see how it had too much depth personally. It had enough depth to explain the story and keep it interesting.

I am not suggesting for one minute that people who like TIH have ADD, I like TIH so I would be insulting myself, I am simply saying it doesnt have enough depth for me personally, I find it to be a bit of a popcorn movie, which is a bit dissapointing after hearing what Leterrier and Norton were saying before the movie came out. There is a deeper cut of the movie on cutting room floor unfortunately.

Quote:
Do you have the source for DVD sales? It doesn't say that FC outsold TIH anywhere yet. In it's first 11 weeks, FC sold 23 million vs TIH's 58 million.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that Blu-Ray sales aren't included with either movie. Why?
BD's sell a lot more now than they did in 2008, before FC left the top 10 it had sold around $35 million in BD's and it has probably sold more since.

Quote:
It was liked more than people on the internet. Stop trying to bring out the strawman argument by trying to disregard the closest things we have to measuring the GA, especially when I used cinemascore which actually is the closest thing to how the GA felt toward a movie when it has shown that GA has ignored Hulk.
I'm not saying NON of the GA liked it, they did, but they didnt like it that much more than Hulk, which made around the same amount both at the BO and on DVD, that is a clear indication it wasnt that well liked. Sorry but Cinemascore doesnt mean a thing to me, as I have pointed out hardly any of the GA go on the internet to rate movies. They all feel they have better things to do.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #304
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Personally for me you can never really have too much depth, and for me Hulk didnt, it had the perfect amount of depth, there is still plenty of thing about the psychological side of Banner/Hulk that could have been explored more in the sequel. Like the hate they have for each other wasnt really explored that much beyond the mirror scene, so I dont see how it had too much depth personally. It had enough depth to explain the story and keep it interesting.

The reason I said that it has too much depth is because you have moments and scenes that don't really lead any where. You learn of a lot of menial moments in Hulk that I didn't think benefited to the main story, like various parts of the first 30 minutes of Hulk.

I am not suggesting for one minute that people who like TIH have ADD, I like TIH so I would be insulting myself, I am simply saying it doesnt have enough depth for me personally, I find it to be a bit of a popcorn movie, which is a bit dissapointing after hearing what Leterrier and Norton were saying before the movie came out. There is a deeper cut of the movie on cutting room floor unfortunately.

I was disappoined at the scenes that were left out also, especially the beginning in which he was at the artic about to kill himself. I think that would have been a powerful scene that should have been left in. Also, the dinner conversation with Betty and Doc (whose character was neutered through cuts) should have been left in.

But with that said, and this is separate from the TIH, I do love popcorn movies.

BD's sell a lot more now than they did in 2008, before FC left the top 10 it had sold around $35 million in BD's and it has probably sold more since.

Do you have sources for Blu-Ray sales? I can't find them, and I'm surprised The Numbers have Blu-Ray sales separately.

I'm not saying NON of the GA liked it, they did, but they didnt like it that much more than Hulk, which made around the same amount both at the BO and on DVD, that is a clear indication it wasnt that well liked. Sorry but Cinemascore doesnt mean a thing to me, as I have pointed out hardly any of the GA go on the internet to rate movies. They all feel they have better things to do.
I'm just saying that these are the closest things we have for the people that have actually seen the movie, and those were their reactions to it.

I'm not syaing that it was that more widely seen. I'm saying that it was more liked than Hulk, and that there are no accurate ways to put it because to me, determining whether a GA likes a movie or not is more than BO receipts because there are many things that can rattle BO receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #305
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Well, this isn't the only way to measure these things, but a good indicator for the audience reaction is looking at the audience % on RottenTomatoes and TIH has a 75% for that category, while HULK has a 34%.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #306
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Well, this isn't the only way to measure these things, but a good indicator for the audience reaction is looking at the audience % on RottenTomatoes and TIH has a 75% for that category, while HULK has a 34%.
If that were such a great way to measure audience's reaction then the BO numbers would follow. At least a little.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #307
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Exactly, again, the GA dont go on web-sites to rate movies, in fact I know many who look down upon it as 'geeky,' the internet is no indicator of what the GA think of a movie and it never will be, the internet community makes up in total about 8-10% of the movie going public.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #308
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Neither of them are perfect or necessarily great. 03 had the better story, acting, and writing but piss poor action scenes which an ACTION movie needs. IH had the cool action but lacked substance.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #309
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Neither of them are perfect or necessarily great. 03 had the better story, acting, and writing but piss poor action scenes which an ACTION movie needs. IH had the cool action but lacked substance.
'03 had alot of action but Hulk needed someone to actually fight, the military and absorbo dad were aright but didn't give him a good old brawl like Abomb did.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #310
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Wait, wait, wait.

Parker, you don't think Captain America's score was memorable? His main theme is like one of the best there is.
Nah, I find all of the Marvel Studios scores as a whole forgettable. Some parts of scores (such as Iron Man's theme) I can recognize, but none of them I liked as much as "Frankenstein's Monster" from X-men first class or Danny Elfman's Batman theme.

My favorite Superhero movie theme ever is still the Mask of the Phantasm theme.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #311
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Piss poor? The tank scene alone is one of the best fight scenes ever in a superhero movie.

I like all the marvel studios scores, and still think IM and Thor are the best of them.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #312
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

No kidding.

Ramin Djawadi's Iron Man score is one of my favorite Marvel and superhero scores period. He did an amazing job.

The track Mark II is amazing and completely brings everything that is Iron Man to mind. I seriously hope they have him return to compose the score for IM3.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #313
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Nah, I find all of the Marvel Studios scores as a whole forgettable. Some parts of scores (such as Iron Man's theme) I can recognize, but none of them I liked as much as "Frankenstein's Monster" from X-men first class or Danny Elfman's Batman theme.

My favorite Superhero movie theme ever is still the Mask of the Phantasm theme.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I found that bit to be overbearing to the point of obnoxiousness in the film, I must say. I thought the sub lift music was as good as the score in XMFC got.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #314
The Morningstar
Banned User

I loved the Bond undertones to Magneto's theme in First Class.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #315
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
No kidding.

Ramin Djawadi's Iron Man score is one of my favorite Marvel and superhero scores period. He did an amazing job.

The track Mark II is amazing and completely brings everything that is Iron Man to mind. I seriously hope they have him return to compose the score for IM3.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I liked the Iron Man score, yet after seeing Djawadi's Game of Thrones work I can't help but think how much better it could have been.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #316
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
No kidding.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I enjoyed Debney's score...but I do enjoy Ramins much, much more. I feel he got the...well, feel of iron man better. They cut out alot of good material he wrote in the movie, and that makes my listens of it all the more better. So, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #317
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

With Debney's score, my issue is the opposite of my problem with the score in XMFC. IM2's score at times seemed to get drowned out by the noise of everything else that was going on in the film, especially the Monaco race music(which is pretty good). They needed to increase the volume a bit. With XMFC(the Argentina bar scene for example) the score was far too loud to the point that it became obnoxious. There they needed to turn the volume down a bit.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #318
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus_Snape View Post
Piss poor? The tank scene alone is one of the best fight scenes ever in a superhero movie.
The desert sequence as a whole is one of the best action scene's in a CB movie full stop. Very few if any CBM action scene's have surpassed it.

Quote:
I like all the marvel studios scores, and still think IM and Thor are the best of them.
I think the only bad one has been for Iron Man 2. To me Thor's is much better than the others though, and TIH's score would be 2nd for me as well.

Quote:
I enjoyed Debney's score...but I do enjoy Ramins much, much more. I feel he got the...well, feel of iron man better. They cut out alot of good material he wrote in the movie, and that makes my listens of it all the more better. So, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back.
Ramins score was decent if a little generic at times, but Debney's score was just plain awful IMO, there wasnt even a central them to it when ALL CB movies should have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
With Debney's score, my issue is the opposite of my problem with the score in XMFC. IM2's score at times seemed to get drowned out by the noise of everything else that was going on in the film, especially the Monaco race music(which is pretty good). They needed to increase the volume a bit. With XMFC(the Argentina bar scene for example) the score was far too loud to the point that it became obnoxious. There they needed to turn the volume down a bit.
Personally I thought FC's score was used perfectly, I loved the score in general and the way it was used in the movie was great. Debney's score was both poor and poorly used if you ask me.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #319
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Does anyone else get ticked off when they hear the genaric complaint over HULK 03
"I don't want I thought provoking Hulk that deals with issues, its the Hulk! I WANT TO SEE HIM SMASH STUFF!"

I might as well gripe that Nolan spends way too much time dealing with the characters emotions and psyches when all I wanna see is Batman puch out some goons. Pluse Hulk DOES smash several things in HULK.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #320
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Being fair, Hulk 2003 did have pacing issues. . . but yes. Especially when I hear so many people complaining about Cap and Thor having "no depth."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #321
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Being fair, Hulk 2003 did have pacing issues. . . but yes. Especially when I hear so many people complaining about Cap and Thor having "no depth."
Its real two faced. But I didn't know people thought Thor and Cap had no depth. Sure they could have had more, but I LOVED Thor and Cap.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #322
El Payaso
Banned User

Thor had some when it was about Asgard, Loki and Odin. Sadly, Odin fainted just when things were starting to get interesting and really serious. But if it's about Thor and Jane, that was a puppy love at most, so the ending with a saddened Thor longing to see her again I couldn't but chuckle. And Captain America was a very entertaining movie. I'd say one of the best made by Marvel. It took forever to put the real Capt. America on screen but it was good. Problem was that the love story was again quite average and some secondary characters like Tommy Lee Jones's or Hugo Weaving's very cliche.

Oh, but how about Ang Lee's Hulk. Yeah, many things there pretended to be more than they were. That dream sequence of Betty, her father and Bruce was very interesting but it led nowhere.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #323
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

I voted Ang Lee's Hulk. Tough call, there were things I liked & disliked about both. I've long said that the ideal Hulk movie lies somewhere between the two.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #324
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
I voted Ang Lee's Hulk. Tough call, there were things I liked & disliked about both. I've long said that the ideal Hulk movie lies somewhere between the two.
Definitely agree with this post but especially the bold.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #325
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

To me personally the Incredible Hulk was better than Hulk, the Ang Lee Hulk was overly complicated and didn't really feel right. But the incredible Hulk with Ed Norton was like a superhero monster Moby Dick movie, with an added the creator of the monster must destroy it thing.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote