The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #376
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

I think the Avenger's CGI Hulk is the first one to actually look like the actor playing him.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #377
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

I will need to watch both of them again to get clearer view on both faults and strong points

ATM, I don't really see Ang's Hulk a better movie, David Banner is a very self contradicting character
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
They each have two words in their movies

Puny human
Hulk Smash.

The first one is debatable.
TIH says Betty, and in the factory he says "Leave me alone" shortly before tossing the machinery

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.

6th annual animated shows tournament voting has begun.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #378
The Sarge
Greatest DP ever

Also "Take it all!" at the end of Ang's film.

The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #379
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

The thing that interest me in Hulk more than any aspect is his torment with the disease, and Bruce desire to find a cure.
I'm more into the drama when it comes to Hulk than action, and TIH did it fine for their film, but Ang is stronger there without getting into how messed up it is at times

Cons I find in Ang's version:
  • David is confusing, once he wants to kill his son for being a monster, then he was mad they took him away from his son, then he says Bruce is the crust containing his real son. What's your position, really?
  • The madder baby face Hulk gets, the larger he becomes
  • Harper was there just to be saved by Bruce, then he was out of the picture completely
  • Sometimes it gets too comic like by frame freezing, like the time Glen was caught in the brunt of the explosion
Last one is minor, more of a nitpick. Movie had potential to be greater

Cons with TIH:
  • Liv Tyler screams too much
  • That other guy playing Ross is kinda hammy, Elliot is 10folds better

So I'm more in favor of TIH

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #380
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

^ David was insane, yet he did in some way love his son. When he talks about how he tried to kill his son he describes it as " a fathers mercy" he also states that he was angry that Ross threw him away before he could cure him, so I get that he didn't really want to kill Bruce but saw it as only way to save him from what he thought the military would have done. Afterwards when he see's the Hulk up close he sort of see's the true power he was hoping to create when he experimented on himself at the start and feels...pride for the powerful being that he created, he begins to see Hulk as his true son, he refers to the Hulk as "the child of my mind."

Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #381
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Ah, ok, this makes his story a little better to stomach, and I like him more than Bryan when it comes to liking his son

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #382
Secret Fawful
Banned User

Ang Lee's is far better. TIH is so hammy and ridiculous. The scene where Hulk smacks Blonsky into the tree looked like it was done in Gmod. And the CGI is so....so....so....BAD. I know we've come a long way since then even in those few years, but man....TIH looked worse than movies done in 2003.

I just hated it so much, and I love The Hulk. The best parts were seeing the super soldier serum plotline again after Cap and the nods to the comics and the past Hulks.

Secret Fawful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #383
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think David Banner came off as a deeply unstable person, who is unpredictable and his actions don't always follow the same rational logic from day to day. However, I think it worked, and he came off as a more nuanced variety of mad scientist than your standard cackler.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #384
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
^ David was insane, yet he did in some way love his son. When he talks about how he tried to kill his son he describes it as " a fathers mercy" he also states that he was angry that Ross threw him away before he could cure him, so I get that he didn't really want to kill Bruce but saw it as only way to save him from what he thought the military would have done. Afterwards when he see's the Hulk up close he sort of see's the true power he was hoping to create when he experimented on himself at the start and feels...pride for the powerful being that he created, he begins to see Hulk as his true son, he refers to the Hulk as "the child of my mind."
This is David to a tee, this perfectly sums up his character arc and its one of the things I love in the movie.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #385
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Maybe I rushed in voting TIH as a better movie, Ang's Hulk is better as a movie
TIH is still more fun imo, and Hulk has the superior design and size there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Fawful View Post
TIH is so hammy and ridiculous.
I only feel that way about Ross
Quote:
The scene where Hulk smacks Blonsky into the tree looked like it was done in Gmod. And the CGI is so....so....so....BAD. I know we've come a long way since then even in those few years, but man....TIH looked worse than movies done in 2003.
I will agree about the CGI in daytime, it looks really cartoony at daytime
Looks fine at night

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #386
JAWS
Side-Kick

TIH by far. They just nailed the Hulk Character much better. The Seen in the Soda Factory when he says "Leave me alone" Gives me goose bumps every time! It is that one moment that sums up the Hulk. That one scene is better then anything in the Lee film.

Now I liked the Lee film when it first came out. Of course I was still greatly dissapointed but since Hulk is by far my fav. Marvel character I gave a lot of things a pass. But after TIH has come out I find it very hard to return to Lee's Hulk.

Reason's why I can't watch it

1. Hulks face is awful. AWFUL!
2. His Might Joe Young size.
3. Except for the Tank scene - no really great feats of strength. No great battles. The Dog fight was Ok but still hard to see to this day.
4. Ang Lee's potrayal of the Hulk. My God someone else should have worn the CG suit. I hate what Lee did with the part. He is a director and clearly not an actor.
5. Film is a tad to dark in tone but not in a good way.
6. Nick N. Overacting is sort of embarassing.
7. The Climax is very anti climatic.

Some things I do like are the Tank fight. The Dog fight is OK. I like Eric B in the role of Banner. I really enjoy the comic book style/look that ang gave the film.

Why I really enjoy TIH

1. They nailed the tone of the film.
2. At times there are scenes that look ripped right from the comics.
3. Hulk's Face
4. You see the whole angrier he gets the stronger he gets.
5. The above Mentioned "leave me alone" line.
6. The Hand clap smash to keep the Helicopter from Blowing up (LOVE IT)
7. "Hulk Smash" Line.
8. Pretty much the entire cast.
9. Pretty much anything the hulk does on screen is much more comic accurate then the Ang Lee Hulk.
10. The scene with Betty and the Hulk.

I could go on and list things like throwing the rock at the thunder and putting his hand back to keep Betty away from danger or When after defeating the Abomination he slams his arm back and then scream in victory but I guess I will just have to put that all in the "They got the Hulk Character right this time.

What I don't like.

Hulk could have shown one more great feat of strength. He could have really beat up on Abomination and really showed that his anger was growing.

Which leads me to this. I have heard some say that the hulk never really shows that he is Stronger then the Abom. Well in the part when Abom says "watch her die" Abom has the height and leverage advantage. He also is using his chest and shoulders to hold the Hulk. hulk then has to use just his shoulder muscles to push out of that and then it shows him starting to push abom's arms back. You can see Abom. is shocked. I like this but it is a bit to subtle. Oh Well.

Did I mention I like TIH better?

JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #387
HTGJONES

Incredible Hulk

HTGJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #388
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bixby vs Bana vs Norton vs Ruffalo

From The New Yorker:
THE HULK ON MARK RUFFALO’S HULK

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #389
Gabe99
Side-Kick

10 Lessons We Learned From The AVENGERS Movie
Quote:
MARVEL HAD THE HULK ALL WRONG... UNTIL NOW

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We're not going to spoil it - you'll know it when you see it. It's just a split second, but it's one of the movie's biggest laughs and the moment in "The Avengers" when you realize how very wrong Marvel and the writers and directors of his two solo 'adventures' had the big-screen Hulk all along.

Steeped in somber pathos (an homage to the moody 70's TV series) and portrayed more like a completely thoughtless wounded animal than a pure manifestation of all-too human rage, the previous Hulks were simply no fun. Not fun at all.

The Hulk's rampages were what movie audiences went to see - they wanted "Hulk SMASH" - but the Hulk-outs were treated like Greek tragedies, which is a losing formula for popcorn movie events.

"Iron Man" worked because Tony Stark wanted to be Iron Man. Ditto for "Thor" and "Captain America". Power fantasy is reliant on the protagonist actually enjoying the power. And that's all it took to make this Hulk work and what "The Avengers" gets right ... just a hint that exercising your inner rage with your fists can be a just a little bit fun.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #390
cryptic name
No Limits

Ang Lee's film is definitely more interesting as a psychological study as to what would create the Hulk, and deserves alot of credit for the visual and thematic chances it took. Incredible Hulk was probably a better Hulk film in terms of the characters and the world of the comic. However, both pale in comparison to the portrayal in The Avengers.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #391
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Incredible Hulk (make a sequel for this pls!)

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #392
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Both were incredibly flawed. People overlook the fact that the entire cast of TIH sleepwalks through the film, just because they were excited to see Hulk finally "Smash" something.

At least Ang Lee tried to explore the Hulk as a psychological character.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel

Last edited by KangConquers; 05-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #393
Kriss_Kringle
Side-Kick

TIH is like you're watching a trailer for a video game that lasts 112 minutes.In other words,it has very bad CGI for a movie made in 2008 and it's too filled with testosterone and too little with neurons.
Ang Lee's version is more character driven and even the CGI looks better in it,along with a great soundtrack made by Danny Elfman,so it's superior in my opinion.

I hope they make a new Hulk movie soon with Ruffalo set to play Banner again and Whedon mentoring the project or penning the script.What he did with the character in The Avengers was just amazing!

Kriss_Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #394
co2
Side-Kick

I still feel like Hulk is the more compelling and interesting film. It just wasn't a good film about the comic character. If you can remove what you know about the Hulk, then Ang's Hulk is a really good monster movie. It just has a passing resemblance to the Hulk.
TIH is a good movie about the character, not sure why it gets discredited sometimes. It is most definitely the Hulk. It has flaws, sure, but so do any of the Marvel films. Norton is a good actor and looks the most like comic Banner, and plays a good victim, but he doesn't convey the restrained anger. Bixby remains the champion in that regard, but Ruffalo has that quality too. I see why he was chosen.
I always knew Hulk would be the standout in an Avengers film. I really hope Avengers isn't Hulks last time on the big screen now that we just about have him right.

Last edited by co2; 05-09-2012 at 06:31 PM.
co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #395
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
I still feel like Hulk is the more compelling and interesting film. It just wasn't a good film about the comic character. If you can remove what you know about the Hulk, then Ang's Hulk is a really good monster movie. It just has a passing resemblance to the Hulk.
I always make sure to call it Ang Lee's Hulk because it's definitely his take on the character.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #396
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Neither film was good. And only after The Avengers does that become abundantly clear. So TA wins by default.

As for these two, both didn't work for different reasons. Ang Lee's 2003 film has much better acting and characterization/development of all the principals (save for Talbot) and some haunting imagery and music by Danny Elfman. However, in terms of a story, the plotting--especially the third act finale--are terrible and the pacing is deader than Bruce's mother. And visually the Hulk looked like a cartoon character which was not helped by the distracting editing and completely muddled ending.

The Incredible Hulk has (slightly) better CGI and a director who really gets into a lot of action that by itself is pretty visually exciting and coherent (unlike the 2003 movie). However, the story backing that up is a thinly developed formula superhero movie with barely developed, cartoonish characters who are played by a group of great actors who almost all look very bored.

In one scene in The Avengers, when Banner meets Black Widow and they test each other, Ruffalo and Whedon already surpassed all other characterizations of him. His interactions with Tony Stark and Cap only helped this further, his function in the plot was well thought out and (for the most part) developed. And as for the Hulk action scenes? I don't think I have to say why they were better in this movie.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #397
The Guard
Side-Kick

Because he was fighting aliens and not the military/giant poodles?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #398
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

The Desert Fight from Hulk was the best non-Avengers fight scene of any Marvel film.
It's absolutely faithful to Hulk's strength and power set. I really can't see how anyone would prefer Hulk vs Tim Roth

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #399
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Because he was fighting aliens and not the military/giant poodles?
Because it was fun, exhilarating and entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
The Desert Fight from Hulk was the best non-Avengers fight scene of any Marvel film.
It's absolutely faithful to Hulk's strength and power set. I really can't see how anyone would prefer Hulk vs Tim Roth
I'd have to say the train fight/rescue in SM2 surpasses it. And the bank/building fight in SM2. And the Harry vs. Peter aerial fight in SM3. I'd probably even add the final fight from SM3 (as hackneyed as the writing was, visually it's still quite stunning).

I just think until Joss Whedon, no director has been able to match Raimi for visceral comic book action to date.

Just my opinion.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #400
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I know some people are clowning on the 2003 hulk's cgi now but for its time i think it was a lot more impressive than what TIH came out with in 2008.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote