The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #751
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
It was a battle of titans .... did you really think it would be similar to something like the campus battle vs. the military?

Critiques like yours literally make no sense to me.
Like the director's Clash of the Titans it was a jittery mix of fight cuts that's too messy. It didn't feel like the movie had progressed to something like that. Even though the battle field is much different the camera angles weren't well chosen for a great edit. Instead of a 'titanic' battle, it was more like a roller coaster ride between zooming close-ups.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #752
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
No it wasn't. It was two big guys bear hugging each other in a vacant lot until one gets choked out with a chain. The battle needed more of the car-boxing it promised when it first started.

I find all of the action in The Incredible Hulk to be lackluster to be honest. I never understood how people can say Hulk lacked action when I bet my bottom dollar if one timed it, there is more action in that film than TIH.

It wasn't the fight style that bothered me. I think brawny fighters will do a lot of wrestling. But it didn't feel like two 'titans' fighting after the Hulk got kicked away into a building. With the overload of zooming and close-ups you can't appreciate the sheer size and power the two have over their surroundings.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #753
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Gotta love movie snobbery. Apparently only wide angles can depict the titanic nature of Hulk vs. Abom. LOL

Bringing down a copter doesn't do it. One of them kicking the other through a building doesn't. I guess it needs city-wide destruction right? No.

As for your comment that it didn't build into something, did you notice the moment Hulk overcame by getting angrier? That's what the fight built up to so that he could finally overtake Abom. I mean Christ, Banner jumps off a plane not knowing if he's even going to change over to Hulk. There was plenty of build up.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 01-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #754
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Gotta love movie snobbery. Apparently only wide angles can depict the titanic nature of Hulk vs. Abom. LOL

Bringing down a copter doesn't do it. One of them kicking the other through a building doesn't. I guess it needs city-wide destruction right? No.

As for your comment that it didn't build into something, did you notice the moment Hulk overcame by getting angrier? That's what the fight built up to so that he could finally overtake Abom. I mean Christ, Banner jumps off a plane not knowing if he's even going to change over to Hulk. There was plenty of build up.
You really don't get it? Fine. You can accuse me of being a snob but I'm studying this stuff because I want to get into filmmaking. I don't have explain my opinions anymore to guys like you.

Rock Sexton doesn't understand. That's okay with me.

even with bare hands.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #755
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
You really don't get it? Fine. You can accuse me of being a snob but I'm studying this stuff because I want to get into filmmaking. I don't have explain my opinions anymore to guys like you.

Rock Sexton doesn't understand. That's okay with me.
There's nothing to understand when you make the claim that we don't get the notion of their size and power, when during the sequence one of them rips a car in half and uses it for boxing gloves.

Your complaint should be in quantity only and that is strictly a personal preference. Audiences weren't confused as to what those two were capable of.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #756
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:

Dude, no reason to be an ass. For me, it's not about not getting a sense of their size and power. It's about the fighting itself not being exciting. The fight starts off awesomely, but after the Car-Gloves bit it turns into nothing more than two big thugs grappling with each other in stock wrestling moves in a vacant lot. There is nothing interesting about it. To make the Hulk fighting things fun and not just images of two or more CGI monsters smashing into each other you have to do it in an interesting environment and keeps things moving. The desert battle in Hulk is amazing for that reason. It's not about city wide destruction. It's about movement. That's the reason Hulk stole the show in The Avengers. They got his movement and power right. Everything in TIH felt too closed off. The first scene he's in shadow and you never see him. All he does is run around in the dark around and throws a forklift into a catwalk. We only get a dark glimpse of him as he leaves. The college fight is the best action bit in the movie, but it's still very "still". It's just the Hulk in one spot having things come at him. The other two films with Hulk in them have more movement and location to them.

It has nothing to do with snobbery. Some people just felt that action in TIH was boring. Get over it.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 01-23-2014 at 06:56 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #757
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Quote:

I fully agree with everything in this post.

It was set up from the first Hulk out that Blonsky was obsessed with gaining the power of Banner/Hulk. He was jealous, which reverberates in his statement to the Hulk: "You don't deserve this power!"

The fight lasted for what? Nearly 10 minutes....in that time Harlem was practically completely destroyed in a real comic book style fight. Six years later & I think it still holds up very well.

It was a back and forth fight between two monsters that involved cop cars used as boxing gloves as well as a thunderclap.

With all that happened in the fight, I can't see what more people wanted there to be without it getting completely repetitive.

When the Hulk fights in TIH, there's isn't enough action & destruction. But when Superman fights in MoS, it's too much senseless destruction. You just can't win.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #758
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Dude, no reason to be an ass. For me, it's not about not getting a sense of their size and power. It's about the fighting itself not being exciting. The fight starts off awesomely, but after the Car-Gloves bit it turns into nothing more than two big thugs grappling with each other in stock wrestling moves in a vacant lot. There is nothing interesting about it. To make the Hulk fighting things fun and not just images of two or more CGI monsters smashing into each other you have to do it in an interesting environment and keeps things moving. The desert battle in Hulk is amazing for that reason. It's not about city wide destruction. It's about movement. That's the reason Hulk stole the show in The Avengers. They got his movement and power right. Everything in TIH felt too closed off. The first scene he's in shadow and you never see him. All he does is run around in the dark around and throws a forklift into a catwalk. We only get a dark glimpse of him as he leaves. The college fight is the best action bit in the movie, but it's still very "still". It's just the Hulk in one spot having things come at him. The other two films with Hulk in them have more movement and location to them.

It has nothing to do with snobbery. Some people just felt that action in TIH was boring. Get over it.
I have to agree, I didnt find any of the action in TIH to be as dynamically exciting as the Hulk scenes in Hulk or The Avengers. Thats not to say anything in TIH was bad, but for me the final battle was a tad disappointing as there wasnt much actual fighting between them in the end.

The moment when Hulk overpowers Abom is brilliantly done, but the rest of the fight doesnt live up to expectations IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #759
Ultron-5
The One.

Hulk 2003 is boring, the visual effects are poorly put together and there are some useless scenes. I remember that scene where bruce banner is shaving and hulk grabs him. I never understood why banner was so calm. I would scream at the top of my lungs if I saw a giant green guy in the mirror.

Ultron-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #760
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

It was a dream sequence. Hulk was unconscious from his ride "to the top of the world" on the back of the jet. It symbolized Hulk staying in control and not changing back to Banner during the fall

Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #761
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Lol yeah I thought that was pretty obvious it wasn't really happening, but in his head.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #762
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Hulk vs Abomb was the best one on one fight in the series.(Thor vs Loki in Thor being a close second)

Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #763
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Agreed. Honestly, as far as CBMs, Hulk vs Abomination is one of the few fights that actually felt like a comic book hero vs villain fight. Most of these films do poorly in this regard. I totally don't agree with people saying it wasn't exciting.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #764
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Lol yeah I thought that was pretty obvious it wasn't really happening, but in his head.
Ha ha anyone who thought otherwise obviously wasnt paying attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Agreed. Honestly, as far as CBMs, Hulk vs Abomination is one of the few fights that actually felt like a comic book hero vs villain fight. Most of these films do poorly in this regard. I totally don't agree with people saying it wasn't exciting.
I didnt think it was amazing, but MCU has done poorly with one on one fights in general and this is one of the better ones. But its not in the top 10 of all time or anything for me, the MCU really needs to step up their game with these fights.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #765
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I think that Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Ang Lee has since gone on to a great career which vindicates that preference, and the fact comic book fans didn't like his movie indicates that the fandom is generally culturally shallow.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #766
OcStat
Side-Kick

High five to that.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #767
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think that Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Ang Lee has since gone on to a great career which vindicates that preference, and the fact comic book fans didn't like his movie indicates that the fandom is generally culturally shallow.
Its one of my favorite comic book films as well. While I wouldn't generalize the fandom as culturally shallow, I think it's telling Ang Lee gave us a smart, serious, contemplative superhero film that strives for more while two years before Nolan gave us a BB and five before everyone lost their collective s--t over TDK and hailed Nolan as director to usher in a new standard for comic book films.

I don't think Hulk is without flaws, but it's a damn good film that elevates the genre as well as the Nolan trilogy does...but people despise it.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #768
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Amen to that. This movie is still high on my top 10 of best comic book movies of all time.

I still include it as part of the MCU too. There's a reason why Marvel didn't completely scratch that origin story away and instead opted out to make a few alterations here and there. They know it's a damn good movie.

Oh and that music. Danny Elfman outdid himself.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 04-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #769
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Ang Lee's Hulk is an underrated masterpiece with grand visuals, superb acting, a surprisingly compelling story, and VFX that rivals films released this year; over 10 years later.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 04-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #770
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I honestly can't take anyone seriously when they say the CGI is horrible. The only CGI that is questionable are the dogs, which is more due to their design than the actual CGI work.

TIH's CGI is much worse imo. Not terrible, but very plastic and rubbery looking a lot of the time.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #771
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

ILM did some ridiculously good work on Hulk. Glad Hulk is back in their hands in The Avengers.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #772
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Edit.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #773
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Amen to that. This movie is still high on my top 10 of best comic book movies of all time.

I still include it as part of the MCU too. There's a reason why Marvel didn't completely scratch that origin story away and instead opted out to make a few alterations here and there. They know it's a damn good movie.

Oh and that music. Danny Elfman outdid himself.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Definitely one of my all-time favorite CBM scores. Love every moment of the score. Also, agreed.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #774
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Elfman's score was such that it actually started seeping into my head whenever I read the Hulk comics.