The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #126
Shazam
Side-Kick

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
No, it's not wrong. It's an opinion. Yes, the desert scene in Hulk was awesome, but overall, TIH had better action scenes.

Indeed.

The Super Soldier Vs. Hulk

All of the Abomination Vs Hulk scenes

The Thunder Clap!!

The Banner chase scene through the South American slums.

And you didnt have to wait so long between the action.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #127
OB12
Side-Kick

The desert scene is certainly well done. The problem with Hulk is that I never get the sense that the Hulk is actually in any danger, he doesn't have a credible threat. This is where TIH wins out, Hulk actually has a physical match in Abomination.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #128
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, but it looks like a video game boss battle. I thought the Hulk vs A-Bomb fight was weak. Bad CGI and the whole thing looked like it was filmed on a sound stage. The scale of the battle didn't seem big enough.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #129
OB12
Side-Kick

While TIH's CGI is spotty at times, you can't really hold that against it and not expect Hulk's CGI to be called into question. While it was rendered well, Hulk was a freakin' giant and it completely takes me out of scene. Way too big.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #130
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

That isn't the CGI's fault though. That was a creative choice on Lee's part.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #131
OB12
Side-Kick

Which is more egregious then? Trying but coming up short with a good design or succeeding at creating a 15 ft. green baby.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #132
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I don't really get your point.

Size has nothing to do with the actual quality of the CGI itself. You could make the Hulk the size of a pea, and the CGI would look the same.

What matters is the actual rendering of the character itself. If you just prefer TIH, that's fine, but if you somehow think it's better purely because of it's relative size...that's not an assessment of the CGI. That's an assessment of the director.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #133
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
The desert scene is certainly well done. The problem with Hulk is that I never get the sense that the Hulk is actually in any danger, he doesn't have a credible threat. This is where TIH wins out, Hulk actually has a physical match in Abomination.

Great point!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #134
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Yea, but it looks like a video game boss battle. I thought the Hulk vs A-Bomb fight was weak. Bad CGI and the whole thing looked like it was filmed on a sound stage. The scale of the battle didn't seem big enough.
And Ang's Hulk had perfect CGI? Ang's had its fiar share of bad CGI, too. Yes, it worked in the desert, but in other places like the Hulk out where he leaves to fight the poodles...very bad. I found the CGI in TIH's final fight to be okay...good enough to where I just enjoyed the smackdown.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #135
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
I would have to agree, I had no problem with the CGI but the battle itself wasnt nearly epic enough, especially after it had been so hyped up. Half of the fight was them hanging from a Helicopter or running after each, when you think about it they didnt even trade that many blows.

The desert scene in Hulk easily surpassed it for me, that was pure Hulk bliss that I have been waiting to see since I was a kid.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #136
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And Ang's Hulk had perfect CGI? Ang's had its fiar share of bad CGI, too. Yes, it worked in the desert, but in other places like the Hulk out where he leaves to fight the poodles...very bad. I found the CGI in TIH's final fight to be okay...good enough to where I just enjoyed the smackdown.
what didnt you like?

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #137
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea how is the Hulk out in the scene leading up to that bad? It was great. Best Hulk out in any of the movies.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #138
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Yup, the final battle with Bommy was ok but they didn't cause nearly as much damage as they should to the city!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #139
OB12
Side-Kick

That was probably my only problem with the Hulk-Abom fight, the fact that the residual damage to the surrounding environment was not as extensive as it probably should've been. A collapsed building would've made it a little more powerful. That said, the scene is much more like what I am looking for from a Hulk film.

The desert scene in Hulk, while well executed, never felt like there was really any impending danger. The army had nothing for that giant Hulk, which again sours it for me some. I really can't buy into it as much since the Hulk easily bigger than the tanks. Takes me completely out of it.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #140
The Morningstar
Banned User

That was kinda the point though. The Army did have nothing for him, and the more they threw at him, the stronger he became.

In the end it was his love and compassion for Betty that ended the fight. Which for me is the best way to do it, instead of having a winner or loser in a physical confrontation.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #141
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
That was kinda the point though. The Army did have nothing for him, and the more they threw at him, the stronger he became.

In the end it was his love and compassion for Betty that ended the fight. Which for me is the best way to do it, instead of having a winner or loser in a physical confrontation.
Agreed, the desert scene was just Hulk trying to get to Betty and the army getting in his way. Hulk wouldnt have fought the army if they didnt engage him, he just wanted to be left alone, that is Hulk to me. It gave the film much more emotional heft when even the army realised if they stopped fighting him and let him get to Betty he wouldnt fight them. In TIH it was meant to come off as a hero vs villain fight scene but Hulk being a hero in that moment came off as redundant after seeing all of the people he hurt and put in harms way earlier in TIH.

Bruce finally finding Betty after the desert/SF was an amazing emotional scene at the end of a great action scene and therefore stays with me much more than the final TIH fight.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #142
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
what didnt you like?
The CGI when he is expanding is awful. It looks very off. When he throws his fists down, very computer. You can tell easily. It's a bad hulk out.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #143
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Hulk is the better movie. TIH feels way too much like bad fan fiction written by a fan of the Bixby TV show and the marvel movies. That and I hate the CGI design and animation in that movie especially how weightless Hulk and Abomination's supposedly heavy bodies always seem. Threw me completely out of the movie every time.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #144
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Aside from the super soldier fight with the Hulk, which itself was pretty ridiculous (not in a good way) I felt that TIH was incredibly forgettable. Ang Lee's Hulk suffered from lingering on certain moments too long and the tone could've been more lively but it's overall a very well made and substantial movie. TIH, on the other hand, felt sort of like a mild version of "Crank" except with the Hulk instead of Jason Statham.

IMO, everything (aside from Betty Ross and maybe the pacing) was better in Ang Lee's Hulk. The acting was superior, the story was more fleshed out, the action was more memorable, even the effects were more consistent and believable.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #145
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I would have to agree, I had no problem with the CGI but the battle itself wasnt nearly epic enough, especially after it had been so hyped up. Half of the fight was them hanging from a Helicopter or running after each, when you think about it they didnt even trade that many blows.
I agree

The Hulk vs Abomination fight is severely overrated, they should've exchanged more blows and caused far more environmental damage than they did. I mean seriously, I was expecting to see them throwing large vehicles at each other and creating large craters in the ground with superpowed body slams.

The final fight in Chronicle was much more destructive and on a far larger scale than this fight or any other final fight in Marvel Studios films.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #146
Fannya24

The Incredible Hulk

Fannya24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #147
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who vote for Hulk give these detailed explainations, highlighting the strengths of acting, cinematography, etc.

While the people who vote for TIH mainly just say they liked the action, or just hated Hulk enough go like TIH more.

It's not really a glowing endorsement for the film.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #148
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

Sometimes when I compare movies I like to judge by which movie did its job better. I think The Incredible Hulk did it's job of being a super fun exciting kick butt action movie better than Hulk did at trying to be an artful slightly existential character driven movie. One thing that's funny is in the end I cared about the TIH version of the characters than I did about Ang's version. It was a good try I just don't think it all worked to its potential, where I think TIH did. Something like that.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #149
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Hulk has the unique status of being the only film that I have walked out of.

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #150
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who vote for Hulk give these detailed explainations, highlighting the strengths of acting, cinematography, etc.

While the people who vote for TIH mainly just say they liked the action, or just hated Hulk enough go like TIH more.

It's not really a glowing endorsement for the film.
TIH doesn't try to be as deep as Hulk did, I grant Hulk fans this. But, I think it succeeded more at what it set out to do. I feel it is an underrated film myself. I easily can do the long post highlighting why I felt TIH was a better movie. It's not lack of material/reason why I haven't. I'm just ten times more excited to talk Avengers than debate Hulk movies, like I have been able to do since 2008.