The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #76
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

If the Posters had placed more importance on the Avengers then star power I would have been happier, but I understand why they did it the way they did. Still think with the arrangement of the characters the way they are though it still could have been loads better. In any case though, in the scheme of things I really don't care about the posters all that much. So as long as the movie kicks butt and portrays the characters well then everything else is like whatever.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #77
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Plus Iron Man is simply the most popular character.

They have to sell this movie to a larger audience than just the people who are pissed that Ant-Man isn't in the movie. Like it or not, not every promo piece is going to pander specifically to comic book fans.

We're getting an Avengers movie wherein Captain America is the glue that holds the team together, wherein the studio has managed to turn perennial "comic book fan only" characters like Iron Man and Thor into pop culture fixtures, wherein freakin Hawkeye will be a featured player ()

And people are going to complain that the most popular actor's name is featured before the title in the credits
My feelings exactly man. Well said.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #78
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Does anyone here know anyone in real life named Thor? Maybe an icelandic/ danish buddy of yours?
Actually, I met Wanderlei Silva a year and a half ago, and he told me that he named his youngest son Thor.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #79
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Great, Alexei's back.

Alexei, you don't even like these movies, why do you care who they put at the forefront? You probably hated Cap and Evans as Cap.

- CM Punk
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #80
Disney Man
Side-Kick

Anyone catch the ET preview? Was it good?

Heard there was a trailer tomorrow. Pumped!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #81
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven
Does anyone here know anyone in real life named Thor? Maybe an icelandic/ danish buddy of yours?
We had a guy named Thor do the sound and lighting for a play I directed a couple of years ago. I had a lot of fun calling him 'Thor, God of Lighting!"

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #82
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Alexei, you don't even like these movies, why do you care who they put at the forefront? You probably hated Cap and Evans as Cap.
Correction, I loved the first IRON MAN and TIH. I really like Evans as Cap & I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan. I'm also a huge Avengers fan - so I care a whole lot about the petty gimmicks they're resorting to in order to feel financially secure about the film's BO this summer. They don't need the 3D (IM didn't have it), they don't need the ridiculous "RDJ IN THE AVENGERS" billing joke, they don't need crap marketing ploys if they really do have a great film on their hands. That's how IM made all its money. Word spread that it was great & lots of money was made. Stuff like this poster stunt just makes the studio look desperate.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #83
Raiden
The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Man View Post
Anyone catch the ET preview? Was it good?

Heard there was a trailer tomorrow. Pumped!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Correction, I loved the first IRON MAN and TIH. I really like Evans as Cap & I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan. I'm also a huge Avengers fan - so I care a whole lot about the petty gimmicks they're resorting to in order to feel financially secure about the film's BO this summer. They don't need the 3D (IM didn't have it), they don't need the ridiculous "RDJ IN THE AVENGERS" billing joke, they don't need crap marketing ploys if they really do have a great film on their hands. That's how IM made all its money. Word spread that it was great & lots of money was made. Stuff like this poster stunt just makes the studio look desperate.
From what I've heard, Marvel pumped about 200 mil into The Avengers, their most expensive film to date. If the marketing can help get more GA to see the movie by featuring RDJ maskless front-and-center on a poster, why the heck won't they do it? It's not desperation, but it is also not a mystery that Marvel would want as many people to see it as possible. This is not an indie flick where it only needs 50 mil to recoup its losses and make money at the same time.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #84
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy
Plus Iron Man is simply the most popular character.

They have to sell this movie to a larger audience than just the people who are pissed that Ant-Man isn't in the movie. Like it or not, not every promo piece is going to pander specifically to comic book fans.

We're getting an Avengers movie wherein Captain America is the glue that holds the team together, wherein the studio has managed to turn perennial "comic book fan only" characters like Iron Man and Thor into pop culture fixtures, wherein freakin Hawkeye will be a featured player ()

And people are going to complain that the most popular actor's name is featured before the title in the credits
Too true

Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #85
liveman789
Side-Punch

People, we're getting an Avengers MOVIE along with this poster, FYI. It's a freaking Avengers movie, a landmark in both the film and comic book industries. And we know it'll be awesome. It's like if a person gave you a present that you know is going to be awesome, but you start criticizing the wrapping paper. Boo frickity hoo.

I'm just glad this dumb argument will only last for the next 10 hours at most, then you same people will start complaining about something in the trailer.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #86
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov
I understand your problem with this, I do, but surely you take comfort in the fact that we at least know characters like Cap etc are given their correct prominence and role in the film itself.

I mean, I am personally of the opinion that 'playing it safe' isn't always the best option with marketing and sometimes being bold can really yield results, but at the same time, I am fine with the idea that Disney/Marvel are just trying to appeal to as many people as possible. As someone pointed out pages ago, the fans are already going to see this movie, they need to appeal to the people who aren't the diehard fans as well.

Whatever they need to do in order to make people see this film, I am fine with. It's the film itself I'm concerned with. I mean, dissecting and analysing posters is fine, but I don't think you can act like this will reflect poorly on the film.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #87
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I understand your problem with this, I do, but surely you take comfort in the fact that we at least know characters like Cap etc are given their correct prominence and role in the film itself.

I mean, I am personally of the opinion that 'playing it safe' isn't always the best option with marketing and sometimes being bold can really yield results, but at the same time, I am fine with the idea that Disney/Marvel are just trying to appeal to as many people as possible. As someone pointed out pages ago, the fans are already going to see this movie, they need to appeal to the people who aren't the diehard fans as well.

Whatever they need to do in order to make people see this film, I am fine with. It's the film itself I'm concerned with. I mean, dissecting and analysing posters is fine, but I don't think you can act like this will reflect poorly on the film.
I'm concerned that the movie will end up being too Iron Man-centric.

The marketing is clearly aiming for that, but hopefully that approach won't extend to the actual film.

Regardless, "ROBERT DOWNEY JR. 'THE AVENGERS'" is definitely something I am not looking forward to seeing during the opening titles of my midnight show in May.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #88
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Chris Evans is second billing for goodness sake. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #89
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
I'm concerned that the movie will end up being too Iron Man-centric.

The marketing is clearly aiming for that, but hopefully that approach won't extend to the actual film.

Regardless, "ROBERT DOWNEY JR. 'THE AVENGERS'" is definitely something I am not looking forward to seeing during the opening titles of my midnight show in May.
Well we know the film is told mainly from Cap's point of view, so what does it matter what name the actors come up in the titles, if everyone is given a fair representation within the actual film?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #90
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Well we know the film is told mainly from Cap's point of view
Wait, someone's seen the film already?

Has a review been posted? Been away from the laptop all day.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #91
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

So Chris Evans having second billing means nothing to you?

Are you going to conveniently just ignore that?

Quote:
Avvy by Kane

Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #92
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:

Well there's this guy named Joss Whedon, I think he's pretty familiar with the story... he wrote and directed it you see... So I'm more likely to believe what he has said in an interview, that the story is told through Cap's POV, than I am to assert story details from the actor's billing order on a poster.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #93
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:

Joss Whedon said so... the guy who made the movie

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #94
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Even then Joss Whedons story corroborates with the poster. Being second billing in the credit order doesn't mean "Hey this guy won't get any screen time or any relevance so ignore this".

I figure both Cap and Iron Man will be quite central to the story along with Banner and Thor providing a great deal of support as well. They'll be dealing with different aspects of the story to eventually solve this global crisis.

Like I said it's definitely an ensemble movie from everything we've heard.

Quote:
Avvy by Kane

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #95
Cth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well we know the film is told mainly from Cap's point of view, so what does it matter what name the actors come up in the titles, if everyone is given a fair representation within the actual film?
SCENE.

MIDNIGHT -- MAY 5TH.

The theater darkens. Crowd cheers. Marvel flip logo appears. Applause.

FADE TO BLACK.

Credits begin.

AVENGERS.

A MARVEL FILM.

ROBERT DOWNEY JR.

"THIS IS B*LL*****!!!". Figure storms out of the theater.

CREDITS CONTINUE.

(No harm intended just what popped into my head upon reading the outrage.)

At least we're not still doing the Ord/Horde debate.. Hurry up and get here trailer!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #96
Chewy
REDACTED

Even if you're concerned with comic book fidelity, Iron Man was the first leader the Avengers ever had...

If you take umbrage with the idea of Iron Man billed first, you probably hate the idea of Hulk being in the movie at all. Considering Iron Man was leader longer than Hulk was an Avenger at all

Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #97
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Seriously.

Quote:
Avvy by Kane

Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #98
irapogi
Side-Kick

we've all been here before guys. cheers. some people are busier so don't have the time to be updated with the latest news

Alexei, the director himself said in multiple interviews that it'll be through cap's POV. So we don't have to worry about Iron man and friends.
and i've read somewhere (can't remember) that the marketing in commercials, trailers and posters will push rdj to get non fans to watch. (though i hope for more thor and clint in trailer 2)
They already know the fans are going to watch. no doubt about that, but with a budget so huge, they just want to make sure EVERYONE watches.
I think i've outlined most of the recent points. I hope we can all sleep soundly tonight for tomorrow's explosion!

... the trailer, i mean.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #99
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth
SCENE.

MIDNIGHT -- MAY 5TH.

The theater darkens. Crowd cheers. Marvel flip logo appears. Applause.

FADE TO BLACK.

Credits begin.

AVENGERS.

A MARVEL FILM.

ROBERT DOWNEY JR.

"THIS IS B*LL*****!!!". Figure storms out of the theater.

CREDITS CONTINUE.

(No harm intended just what popped into my head upon reading the outrage.)

At least we're not still doing the Ord/Horde debate.. Hurry up and get here trailer!
Hahahaha

"What?!? Robert Downey Jr?!?! **** IRON MAN, HE'S NOT THE 'FIRST AVENGER'!"

CHRIS EVANS

"What?!? Chris Evans?!?! Oh, so he's MOOOOORE important than Thor, huh?!?!

CHRIS HEMSWORTH

"Oh right, so we're gonna just forget allllllllllllll about Coulson, huh? **** YOU GUYS!"

Old 02-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #100
Chewy
REDACTED

The only part of the cast list that even slightly gives me pause is Ruffalo being listed before Hemsworth

Then again that probably just has to do with Hemsworth supposedly not being in the first half hour or so of the film

Closed Thread