The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Captain Villa
Side-Kick

Default The Avengers re-named in the UK ..........

To "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" ................Ridiculous.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/new...w-Title-Poster

How stupid and insulting to us UK fans.

Showtime is ace.
Captain Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: The Avengers re-named in the UK ..........

This is your punishment for getting the movie in April

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Captain Villa
Side-Kick

Its like renaming Batman to "Flying mouse man" in Norway.

Can't believe they've done this to an iconic title.

Showtime is ace.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Deejo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
This is your punishment for getting the movie in April
April 25th in Australia, and no name change. The Lucky Country

Deejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

One would think the fact that John Steed and Emma Peel are missing on the poster shkuld be hint enough

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Yeah, it's weird.

Here in Germany a band formerly called Allianz had to rename because a big insurance company had the same. If people would be confused about it?!?

Maybe the companies or whoever should have a little more trust in the intelligence of the people.

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

I think it's a legal matter. If a name is protected, i.e. is a brand name, then nobody else can use it. Potential confusion doesn't enter into it.

Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Captain Villa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
One would think the fact that John Steed and Emma Peel are missing on the poster shkuld be hint enough
That Sir ......... is probably why.

Showtime is ace.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
ironmaidenrules
Side-Kick

But the title wasn't "the avengers" it was"Marvel's the avengers"

ironmaidenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

A company I once worked for had legal trouble because their name was just one letter different from another company's name. It wasn't the same word, and there still was trouble. "Marvel's The Avengers" might be considered too similar to "The Avengers". If that's the reason.

Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
ironmaidenrules
Side-Kick

Ugh, but the Maria stark foundation owns the rights to that name

ironmaidenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
I think it's a legal matter. If a name is protected, i.e. is a brand name, then nobody else can use it. Potential confusion doesn't enter into it.
Yea it is probably that. It's a legal issue.

That said, has the title of the film actually been changed? Or is it just on that poster, as a tag line?

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Does anyone remember 'The New Adventures of Superman' or 'Smallville: Superman the early years' ?

This is really no surprise.

Thing is, I don't see how adding 'assemble' makes it any clearer it's nothing to do with the other Avengers... Just makes it sound like an origin story

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

I'm guessing this is not to have it confused with the cult 60's show called Avengers.

Words of Wisdom:
http://www.think-positive.us/feeling-rich.html

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

There was no need to change the title. Nobody is going to confuse this with the '98 film or a TV series from 40 years ago.

Avengers Assemble is just.... not a good movie title. They could of at least gone with "The Avenger Initiative" or something.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
The Morningstar
Banned User

I don't think it has to do with confusing people, i think it's a legal thing.

But yea, The Avenger Initiative sounds sooooo much better.

Seriously, someone needs to get in contact with Marvel and tell them the title "Avengers Assemble" is laughable.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
But if a brand name is protected what makes the difference between "The Avengers", "Marvel's The Avengers" an "Avengers Assemble"? As you said - then nobody else can use it -. I don't know what the laws are in detail here. Anybody here who can enlighten me?

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
But if a brand name is protected what makes the difference between "The Avengers", "Marvel's The Avengers" an "Avengers Assemble"? As you said - then nobody else can use it -. I don't know what the laws are in detail here. Anybody here who can enlighten me?
Not an expert but i know copy right laws are really particular. I think using Marvel's The Avengers still wouldn't cut it becuase they are still using the copy right protected title with the only difference being a word that shows possession beforehand. The could use Avengers Initiative tho.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

You know, I'm just picturing all these Brit Baby Boomers going into the theater to see Avengers, perhaps saying "It's about time they remade that rubbish movie that had Ralph Fiennes in it. Hopefully this time they'll get it right." I guess Scarlet in her catsuit is kind of Emma Peel-like.

Words of Wisdom:
http://www.think-positive.us/feeling-rich.html

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
There was no need to change the title. Nobody is going to confuse this with the '98 film or a TV series from 40 years ago.

Avengers Assemble is just.... not a good movie title. They could of at least gone with "The Avenger Initiative" or something.
Or the Mighty Avengers, like we're getting The Amazing Spider-Man or had The Incredible Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZlovesBOOZ View Post
Not an expert but i know copy right laws are really particular. I think using Marvel's The Avengers still wouldn't cut it becuase they are still using the copy right protected title with the only difference being a word that shows possession beforehand. The could use Avengers Initiative tho.
That's not to do with Copyright. As far as copyright of a film/ work title is concerned, I don't think it can be copyrighted. That's why several books, songs or even films can have the same name as a previous one - eg two films with the name "Black Rain" were released in the same year (1989), almost at the same time, both with strong Japanese themes.

If there's a legal issue, it's to do with Trademarks and/or Passing Off with regard to brand names.

So in the case of the animated movie "The Iron Giant" which was adapted from the novel "The Iron Man" by Ted Hughes (rechristened "The Iron Giant" in the US), if Marvel's Iron Man weren't already a trademarked character, then there wouldn't have been any issue with having two films of the same/ simlar name - ie The Iron Man and Iron Man.

With the 60s series "The Avengers", that is probably a trademarked franchise over here in the UK. The thing is however, that two things with the same name can be trademarked in different fields - eg Iron Man as a comic character and Ironman as the triathlon event.

Now both the 60s series "The Avengers" and Marvel's "The Avengers" are in the same entertainment/ film field, but the question is whether there is some kind of sub division within that field that would allow both to co-exist legally - eg the 60s series "The Avengers" might only apply to a spy genre whereas Marvel's The Avengers is a superhero genre. Would there be confusion between the two? Probably not, but I don't know how broad the scope of the 60s Avengers tv series trademark is such that it excludes Marvel's The Avengers from using that name in the UK.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

We also get it a day earlier now though, 26th rather than the 27th

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Or the Mighty Avengers, like we're getting The Amazing Spider-Man or had The Incredible Hulk.

That's not to do with Copyright. As far as copyright of a film/ work title is concerned, I don't think it can be copyrighted. That's why several books, songs or even films can have the same name as a previous one - eg two films with the name "Black Rain" were released in the same year (1989), almost at the same time, both with strong Japanese themes.

If there's a legal issue, it's to do with Trademarks and/or Passing Off with regard to brand names.

So in the case of the animated movie "The Iron Giant" which was adapted from the novel "The Iron Man" by Ted Hughes (rechristened "The Iron Giant" in the US), if Marvel's Iron Man weren't already a trademarked character, then there wouldn't have been any issue with having two films of the same/ simlar name - ie The Iron Man and Iron Man.

With the 60s series "The Avengers", that is probably a trademarked franchise over here in the UK. The thing is however, that two things with the same name can be trademarked in different fields - eg Iron Man as a comic character and Ironman as the triathlon event.

Now both the 60s series "The Avengers" and Marvel's "The Avengers" are in the same entertainment/ film field, but the question is whether there is some kind of sub division within that field that would allow both to co-exist legally - eg the 60s series "The Avengers" might only apply to a spy genre whereas Marvel's The Avengers is a superhero genre. Would there be confusion between the two? Probably not, but I don't know how broad the scope of the 60s Avengers tv series trademark is such that it excludes Marvel's The Avengers from using that name in the UK.
Point proven, i just know they get really particular about those issues.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Wow, I'm offended.

Nevincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Villa View Post
Its like renaming Batman to "Flying mouse man" in Norway.

Can't believe they've done this to an iconic title.
More like 'Batman' to "I'm Batman"

The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZlovesBOOZ View Post
Point proven, i just know they get really particular about those issues.
They do, because of the resulting problem of passing off and benefiting off someone's good name/ not wishing to be associated with something that has had a bad name. This even happens between trademarks in different fields - eg between Lego and Lego Lemelstrich where the former makes plastic toy bricks and the latter made irrigation equipment. You'd think that the two fields are as different as they could get, but because Lego is such a world recognised brand name, the possibility of misrepresentation and confusion is more likely, as was ruled by the judge in that case.

The name "The Avengers" in the UK is more known for the British 60s series than for the Marvel comic. I did wonder a long time ago whether there was going to be a problem but when the film has been referred to as "The Avengers" for the past year or so, it seemed as if they had either circumvented that problem or it wasn't an issue at all. Maybe it is. If it isn't because of a legal issue as such, then Marvel maybe don't want negative association with the 1998 flop which might deter audiences in the same way that they've already experienced a problem with Ang Lee's Hulk and TIH.

It's like the Sci-Fi series "Eureka." Over here in the UK they call it "A Town Called Eureka" so as not to confuse it with another science-based educational programme called Eureka or another one called Eureka TV.