The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #101
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

Oh God of Thunder, I hope that runtime is the real one.
150 mins sounds great.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #102
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Umm... DC has plenty of heroes, too. Quantity isn't the reason that Marvel's ahead. It's because DC is the WB's *****.
Wait, my sentence there had nothing to do with DC.

Marvel in here is a standalone movie project, just like Pixar. Based on the characters they got, they could churn out movies year after year as long as they don't cram too much films in one year.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #103
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
This. As mentioned before, Moon Knight is just a Batman ripoff who cant even sell a successful comic nowadays. His series just got cancelled...and it was being written by Marvel's biggest writer. Nova is basically a Green Lantern ripoff. Like you said, not everyone deserves to have a movie. Assuming you can make a movie out of any character is simply naive.

Focus on making movies for character with a specific niche or power that we havent seen onscreen. With Namor, you could have the first underwater superhero epic. With Dr. Strange, you have a superhero dealing in the occult and magic realms. With Nick Fury and SHIELD, you have the superhero version of James Bond. The audience dosent need Moon Knight when Batman is a better and more compelling version of Moon Knights archetype.
Moon Knight is a different archetype than Batman. He's self reliant (someone who's not born rich) and less scientifically oriented than Batman. An ex-mercenary who once murdered innocents for money, this is one gritty badass with a penchant of sharp weapon. The schizophrenic personality is the icing. And please just because GL fails from a bad movie direction and management, doesn't mean Nova would automatically fail too. Blade wasn't that successful as comics and look how it performed. I detect "my fav stuff is failing, Marvel shouldn't make the derivatives too"...

Namor is too expensive to make anyway. Same with Aquaman, who would want to see someone speaking underwater with air bubbles? I believe Marvel still has a few options to make before doing Namor.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #104
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Probably not the thread to get into this, but i think it would be a disservice to the black community to have probably their most recognizable superhero be played by The Rock who looks very Samoan. yeah i know he's half black but he 's just not this:

I'm Black and I wouldn't have a problem with Dwayne Johnson as Luke Cage. When we get into people analyzing others' "degree of Blackness," it gets ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #105
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I'd be cool w/Rock as Luke Cage. Would prefer him as Namor if given the choice however.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #106
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom420 View Post
the article is on cbm
its from a british film site known as VUE
they were also the ones to post the thor runtime first
Cool. Vue are the cinema chain that took over the ex WB cinemas here. So they're totally legit...just as long as that's the real film length and not some kind of placeholder time.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #107
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom420 View Post
the article is on cbm
its from a british film site known as VUE
they were also the ones to post the thor runtime first
lol, Vue aren't a "British film site". It's a cinema franchise over here and that's their website. If you're on Vue, you're probably there to see what's coming up and what's playing at each of the Vue cinemas or to book tickets.

So if they've given the running time, that's probably more than likely correct, unless they've been given the wrong info themselves.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #108
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Wait, my sentence there had nothing to do with DC.

Marvel in here is a standalone movie project, just like Pixar. Based on the characters they got, they could churn out movies year after year as long as they don't cram too much films in one year.

Well, you said Marvel was winning, so I assumed you meant that someone was losing by comparison, and who would that someone be but DC? Though if you meant it or not, I'd have to agree with that sentiment, as DC's losing bigtime. Which is a shame, too, because DC has a ton of characters who could carry a successful film franchise.

As for Marvel movies, oh yeah, there's a ton of characters that can get their own movies. Looking at that previously posted picture, in my opinion, any one of these characters could carry a film franchise:

Namor
Silver Surfer
Luke Cage
Cable
Ant-Man
Daredevil
Black Panther
Spider-Woman
Hercules
Nova
Ms. Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade
Darkhawk
Blue Marvel
Dr. Strange
Deathlok
War Machine

Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #109
protocida
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Moon Knight is a different archetype than Batman. He's self reliant (someone who's not born rich) and less scientifically oriented than Batman. An ex-mercenary who once murdered innocents for money, this is one gritty badass with a penchant of sharp weapon. The schizophrenic personality is the icing. And please just because GL fails from a bad movie direction and management, doesn't mean Nova would automatically fail too. Blade wasn't that successful as comics and look how it performed. I detect "my fav stuff is failing, Marvel shouldn't make the derivatives too"...

Namor is too expensive to make anyway. Same with Aquaman, who would want to see someone speaking underwater with air bubbles? I believe Marvel still has a few options to make before doing Namor.
Oh, look, someone ALREADY pulled the "Rival company" card.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #110
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Dr. Strange, maybe Wonder Woman, Flash. After those, most of comic book characters worthy of a full fledged cinematic narrative have been used.
I don't care about Wonder Woman as a comic book character, but I'd see the movie in the first day. Again using my Blade analogy, don't judge a potential comic book to movie character from its comic book state.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #111
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Geez, more Marvel vs DC crap?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #112
DyeLorean

I'm really looking forward to the Ant-Man movie. If it happens at all, I think is one of the most interesting and effective thing they can put on screen with the characters they have left.
He could be included maybe in a future Avengers sequel? The Phase Two?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #113
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Well, you said Marvel was winning, so I assumed you meant that someone was losing by comparison, and who would that someone be but DC? Though if you meant it or not, I'd have to agree with that sentiment, as DC's losing bigtime. Which is a shame, too, because DC has a ton of characters who could carry a successful film franchise.

As for Marvel movies, oh yeah, there's a ton of characters that can get their own movies. Looking at that previously posted picture, in my opinion, any one of these characters could carry a film franchise:

Namor
Silver Surfer
Luke Cage
Cable
Ant-Man
Daredevil
Black Panther
Spider-Woman
Hercules
Nova
Ms. Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade
Darkhawk
Blue Marvel
Dr. Strange
Deathlok
War Machine
Well when someone's winning don't just assume someone's losing. Lose the zero sum game thing. I want Marvel films to be like Pixar. I do also see want to see DC films to be like Pixar when it get it's wheel running.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #114
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If they hurry up and get Tigra into a movie and also Wonder Man, then if they have Mockingbird in a Hawkeye movie we could eventually get a West Coast Avengers film. If they don't want to get RDJ for that, get War Machine. After all, he was one of the original founding members (and the Iron Man who joined instead of Stark).

By then, Jeremy Renner would be a big enough star to carry the movie and lead the team.

As for the villain, I suggest Graviton, as in their mini series.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #115
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

What do you think about dwayne johnson playing skurge in thor 2?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #116
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
Oh, look, someone ALREADY pulled the "Rival company" card.
Not me who's getting defensive at the first time.

And pull a smear tactics over characters that they don't ever read/have interest.

Last edited by chiefchirpa; 03-02-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #117
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Moon Knight is just a Batman ripoff
Look, someone who hasn't read a Moon Knight comic like, ever.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #118
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Geez, more Marvel vs DC crap?
I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'd like it if BOTH were making successful film franchises. I want to see Wonder Woman, Flash, Hawkman, JSA, etc. I want to see the Justice League and better Green Lantern movies. I want to see a proper Deathstroke on film, as well as Captain Marvel. That DC isn't pushing forward movies other than The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel is frankly a pretty big disappointment.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #119
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'd like it if BOTH were making successful film franchises. I want to see Wonder Woman, Flash, Hawkman, JSA, etc. I want to see the Justice League and better Green Lantern movies. I want to see a proper Deathstroke on film, as well as Captain Marvel. That DC isn't pushing forward movies other than The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel is frankly a pretty big disappointment.
co-signed

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #120
protocida
Side-Kick

^ Johnson is too "likeable" to play a villain like Skurge. He needs to be an anti-hero or a hero. Cage, I believe, fits right into his alley.

And West Coast Avengers is not necessary.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #121
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
What do you think about dwayne johnson playing skurge in thor 2?
Dwayne is better utilized as Luke Cage than just a one-shot villain.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #122
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Rock could play Wonder Man but I guess he's not ionic enough.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #123
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
^ Johnson is too "likeable" to play a villain like Skurge. He needs to be an anti-hero or a hero. Cage, I believe, fits right into his alley.
Agreed. He should play a hero and not a two-bit villain. Luke Cage would be great.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #124
DyeLorean

Dwayne Johnson wasn't supposed to play Shazam in a future movie?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #125
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
Dwayne Johnson wasn't supposed to play Shazam in a future movie?
Black Adam. He could still do both characters though.

Closed Thread