The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Wally Pfister's Transcendence

This is nice... cinematographer Wally Pfister will make his directorial debut on an untitled film written by Jack Paglen. The movie will be produced by Alcon Entertainment, which has an distribution deal with Warner Brothers.

The film is on the fast-track and pre-production has started with an early fall shoot date.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/alco...wally-pfister/

"Come Think With Us."
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: Wally Pfister to direct film for Alcon/WB

I'll need to hear more details before I can get on-board completely, but I'm certainly excited by the prospect.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Can Nolan be his cinematographer?

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
kvz5
HBIC

I'm intrigued.

Heh watch Wally get an Oscar director nod first before Nolan.

(Sorry I couldn't help it. )

Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
lukey37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Producing partners Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are coming on board to executive produce Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister’s untitled directorial debut. Alcon entertainment will both finance and produce, Alcon co-founders and co-CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove announced today.

The screenplay, written by newcomer Jack Paglen for Pfister to direct, was developed by Annie Marter and sold as a pitch to Straight Up Films, whose Company principals include Marisa Polvino, Kate Cohen and Regency Boies. Polvino, Marter and Cohen will produce along with Johnson and Kosove. Boies will co-produce. The plot is being kept under wraps.

Principal photography is set to begin in the fall or early winter.

Pfister is an Oscar winning cinematographer (for Inception) and is best known for his work on projects with Christopher Nolan. His collaboration with Nolan has spanned seven films, beginning in 1999 with Memento, and earning him three Oscar nominations and one win.

Nolan and Thomas stated: "We have been hoping to work with Wally as a director for a long time, and are thrilled to be working on such an original and exciting project alongside him and Alcon."

While this is his first feature project, Pfister has been directing commercials for several years and gained notice for his powerful work on PSAs for “The Montana Meth Project” alongside the work of Directors Darren Aronofsky, Tony Kaye, and Alejandro Inarritu.

Kosove and Johnson added: “Chris and Emma, with whom we worked so closely on 'Insomnia', are supremely talented, as filmmakers, as collaborators, as storytellers, in all ways large and small, and we are delighted to be in business with them again.”

Pfister recently completed The Dark Knight Rises with Nolan and served as the cinematographer on last years best picture nominee, Moneyball. Other credits include The Italian Job and Laurel Canyon.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91487

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Octoberist
point blank

Awesome!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

A Wally Pfister Film.

The Flying Graysons

Summer 2014

Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
superkong 500
Side-Kick

He's directing, but who'll be the DP? maybe he'll do both

Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Octoberist
point blank

Wonder Woman

A film by Wally Pfister.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

^I wouldn't mind that actually. though I would like the dc films to break out the nolan circle a little.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter

Johnny Depp is in negotiations to star in Wally Pfister's Transcendence for Alcon.

The film, written by Jack Paglen, will mark the Inception cinematographer's directorial debut.

Plot details have been closely guarded, but sources say the film is described as in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception.

The story centers on a man who creates a computer that develops a malevolent awareness. Depp will play a husband who gets sucked into the computer, contigent on changes Pfister is making to the script, sources say.

Pfister has met with and likes Noomi Rapace as the film's female lead and is considering James McAvoy and Tobey Maguire as possibilities for other male lead. Oscar winner Christoph Waltz has an offer for a supporting role.

Principal photography is set to begin early next year, with Warner Bros. onboard as the film's distributor.

The screenplay*was developed by Straight Up Films'*Annie Marter, who will produce alongside colleagues Marisa Polvino and Kate Cohen. David Valdes is also producing alongside Alcon's Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. Regency*Boies will co-produce. Pfister's longtime collaborator Christopher Nolan is executive producing alongside wife Emma Thomas.

“I'm thrilled and feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Johnny," Pfister said. "He is a creative and intelligent artist whom I feel will bring great depth to the character and the overall narrative."

Depp is repped by UTA.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...e-wally-382289

Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Depp, nice!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
DoomsdayApex
Æzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

*Fangirl Squeal*

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
venus_ice
All the TDKR feels

I was certain JGL would be his lead. Oh well. I'm always down for a non-Burton film for Depp.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I'm sure it will look good, but based on recent comments by Pfister, I'm going to be particularly critical of how he handles story.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Octoberist
point blank

Thank the maker Johnny's doing something different for once. I was so heartbroken when Wes Anderson broke the news that the rumor about Depp joining his next film was false.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Wow, I interned for Annie Marter in 2007. If I had known then that she'd go on to be involved with a Pfister-directed, Nolan-produced project starring Johnny Depp I would have never allowed myself to lose touch with her!

Can't wait to see it though, I have faith in Wally.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Wow, I interned for Annie Marter in 2007. If I had known then that she'd go on to be involved with a Pfister-directed, Nolan-produced project starring Johnny Depp I would have never allowed myself to lose touch with her!

Can't wait to see it though, I have faith in Wally.
Did you think she wasn't going anywhere back then?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Plot details have been closely guarded, but sources say the film is described as in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception.

The story centers on a man who creates a computer that develops a malevolent awareness. Depp will play a husband who gets sucked into the computer, contigent on changes Pfister is making to the script, sources say.
Sounds a bit more like TRON and LAWNMOWER MAN than INCEPTION and 2001...but whatever.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Depp doing something else is quite refreshing. Very interesting development for this pic...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #21
Octoberist
point blank

I hope Depp get to be his handsome self again because usual his public appearance reflects the movie hes shooting and now he looks awful in his western/Native Amercian look that he has now in public.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Did you think she wasn't going anywhere back then?
Nah, it wasn't that. She was very smart, cool, hardworking and young so she definitely had everything going for her. It's just that the work I did at the internship (which was at the NYC office of Overture Films) didn't end up having much bearing on the work I wanted to get into, which was editing. All I did there was do coverage for scripts and coffee runs, which was a fun way to spend a summer but ultimately irrelevant in terms of me getting the jobs I wanted. At the time it was the only internship I could find and I needed it for the credits. Eventually my job search and career path went in a different direction.

But damn, good for her. She definitely seemed to have great eye for scripts so hopefully that bodes well for "Transcendence".

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #23
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Sounds a bit more like TRON and LAWNMOWER MAN than INCEPTION and 2001...but whatever.
Those are exactly the two films that came to mind. You beat me to it.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #24
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I'm sure it will look good, but based on recent comments by Pfister, I'm going to be particularly critical of how he handles story.
i agree. if the movie is good i will praise it.

but until then i am reading every interview from Pfister.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
i agree. if the movie is good i will praise it.

but until then i am reading every interview from Pfister.
What does that matter? Yes he said a mean thing that I do not agree with, but so has many other artists. It takes away nothing from what their artwork is. Unless you stoop to the level of pettiness he did it should not matter. I've seen hundreds of directors/writers/actors say terrible things, but it does not take away from what they do.

Honestly Wally gave his opinion on something as many do on here left and right, people on these forums have publicly ripped on Wally's work, so he can't give his opinion on another? Just like Frank Miller when he ripped on TDK, I did not go out and rip up all my TDKR/Year One/Sin City comics.

What would reading every interview accomplish would it make the movie better or worse? No. I think some are blowing that out of such proportion, especially on a forum where all everyone does is give their opinion on it.

Do I agree with Wally? No. Do I think it was the right thing to say? No. Does it take away from the work he has done now or in the future? No.

Now having said that, count me in for this film, sci-fi is always good.