The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Michael Wilkinson spoke at the 5D | FLUX conference earlier this week, and dropped a few tidbits regarding Superman's iconic "S" costume design and how it will tie in to Krypton's history..
Quote:
Wilkinson explained that since they created a “neo-medieval” back story for Krypton (which included the creation of a new language), it made sense to utilize the suit design as part of the mythology. “Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,” he suggested. Using ZBrush and rapid prototyping, Wilkinson came up the blue/gray color and chain-linked look. “It has function and purpose and a logic to this fantastical world,” he added.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Def. interesting, especially the bit about the language. If everyone on Krypton wears one I wonder what Faora and Lara will look like in one

Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #28
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Hmmmm......... Most interesting............ Those lightsabers are sounding more and more plausible.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Prime
Banned User

“neo-medieval”

“Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,”

eeeeh...im not feeling it...lossing the hope...maybe for the best, if it turns out to be good, cool, but I don't like what im reading lately. Neo-medieval Krypton? Oh please...that's sounds almost as bad as that stupid ice planet....And everyone wearing that suit? That takes away every little ounce of ˙˙special˙˙ from it, imo. Funny, I'd have thought an advanced civilization would have had more clothing choices. Now, I just have to wonder, is this Goyer's mess (the more I hear the more it sounds totally like him) or is Snyder's juvenile mentality kicked into overdrive??

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
Project862006
Banned User

^i think it is just you because this all sounds bad ass to me

Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #31
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
“neo-medieval”

“Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,”

eeeeh...im not feeling it...lossing the hope...maybe for the best, if it turns out to be good, cool, but I don't like what im reading lately. Neo-medieval Krypton? Oh please...that's sounds almost as bad as that stupid ice planet....And everyone wearing that suit? That takes away every little ounce of ˙˙special˙˙ from it, imo. Funny, I'd have thought an advanced civilization would have had more clothing choices. Now, I just have to wonder, is this Goyer's mess (the more I hear the more it sounds totally like him) or is Snyder's juvenile mentality kicked into overdrive??
Is Wilkinson's comments about Krypton really surprising...?

Jor-El's outfit screamed neo-medieval.

Many made that connection, when we first saw those pics. Snyder doesn't do hard sci-fi. He excels at fantasy. That's his forte as a filmmaker.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
Project862006
Banned User

^i agree the signals pointed to this months and months ago

fantasy is my fav. genre anyways so i am happy

Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly View Post
Is Wilkinson's comments about Krytpon really surprising...?

Jor-El's outfit screamed neo-medieval.

Many made that connection, when we first saw those pics. Snyder doesn't do hard sci-fi. He excels at fantasy. That's his forte as a filmmaker.
I know. I guess I was living in denial, still hoping to see a true sci-fi, proper version of Krypton, a true alien advanced civilization, Neo-medieval doesn't really sound inspired to me. Ah well. At least Russell Crowe's in it. That's a bonus. He'll pull off medieval better.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So now we know who to blame.

Anyway, I like the sound of neo-midieval Krypton. It sounds interesting.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

When they say Neo-Medieval, sounds like they're still going for advanced technology even though their suits will look slightly medieval. Even the fact they fight with light swords(or lancers, not sure) makes sense with what he said.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
Prime
Banned User

I really really hate the idea of everyone on Krypton wearing that same suit design, but just in different colors. I know this was suspected when we saw snippets of Zod and the suit underneath Jor-El's armor, but I was hoping maybe only the ˙˙higher˙˙ society would wear them, or high ranking officials or something. Not everyone Wilkinson said.

And the more I think about it the more stupid a medieval Krypton sounds. Krypton is not fantasy genre!!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So now the question is does everyone wear the shield or have their own?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

It's not literally going to be medieval... I'm sure they will be using very advanced technology.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
When they say Neo-Medieval, sounds like they're still going for advanced technology even though their suits will look slightly medieval. Even the fact they fight with light swords(or lancers, not sure) makes sense with what he said.
Hooray for medieval Star Wars inspired Krypton!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #40
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
I really really hate the idea of everyone on Krypton wearing that same suit design, but just in different colors. I know this was suspected when we saw snippets of Zod and the suit underneath Jor-El's armor, but I was hoping maybe only the ˙˙higher˙˙ society would wear them, or high ranking officials or something. Not everyone Wilkinson said.

And the more I think about it the more stupid a medieval Krypton sounds. Krypton is not fantasy genre!!!!
another word/planet = fantasy

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #41
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
He can compress the entire costume, but he wears the suit under Clark's clothes and the boots are probably in the pouch of the cape compressed, but I've seen them drawn under Clark's shoes as well.

It's just one of those things you have to go with.
It's just one of those things that are not necessary at all. Not only it's absurd to pretend that you can't notice boots under shoes or a cape under the shirt - not to mention the 3d symbol or the fact that Clark couldn't take his jacket off or even open his shirt a little, bringing more attention to himself - but Superman doesn't need to have his suit there since he is fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Yeah, something like that shouldnt necessarily be explained and I cant imagine MOS trying to either despite the "realistic" approach.
I cannot imagine MOS not doing it. But "realistic" is not the concept I was thinking of. It could be Kryptonian technology. That's not realistic but at least it's something.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #42
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So now the question is does everyone wear the shield or have their own?
Zod's shield looked different from that small peak we got. I suspect they will ride along with the shield being the family crest or something similar. Seriously, if everyone wore that big proud S...no, not gonna happen. They aren't that stupid, I hope.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Hooray for medieval Star Wars inspired Krypton!

Star Wars inspires so many movies these days that it isn't a bad thing at all. I don't think the swords/lances will be multicolored like lightsabers are.
Didn't they use something similar in a Superman comic book? Can't remember the name.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #44
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

The only time I can remember was Zorro-El (I think).

Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #45
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
another word/planet = fantasy
No.

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic is common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively.

In popular culture, the genre of fantasy is dominated by its medievalist form, especially since the worldwide success of The Lord of the Rings and related books by J. R. R. Tolkien. Fantasy has also included fairy tales, wizards, sorcerers, or witchcraft, (etc.), in events which avoid horror.

When I think ˙˙fantasy genre`` I think medieval, wizards, swords, magic, etc... When I think Krypton, I think (from reading the comics) advanced alien civilization, with advanced technology, not magic. And certainly not swords, or knights or wizards.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #46
Project862006
Banned User

they will obviously have something over the outfit like how crowe did he said everyone wears the suit not everyone looks the same with same costume

Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #47
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Michael Wilkinson spoke at the 5D | FLUX conference earlier this week, and dropped a few tidbits regarding Superman's iconic "S" costume design and how it will tie in to Krypton's history..
I really like the sound of all of that.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #48
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
No.

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic is common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively.

In popular culture, the genre of fantasy is dominated by its medievalist form, especially since the worldwide success of The Lord of the Rings and related books by J. R. R. Tolkien. Fantasy has also included fairy tales, wizards, sorcerers, or witchcraft, (etc.), in events which avoid horror.

When I think ˙˙fantasy genre`` I think medieval, wizards, swords, magic, etc... When I think Krypton, I think (from reading the comics) advanced alien civilization, with advanced technology, not magic. And certainly not swords, or knights or wizards.
they are both similiar so it is niether here or there

Quote:
Some would say that there is very little difference between the two forms. Orson Scott Card, an award-winning novelist in both genres, has said that the difference is illusory. "Half joking, I was writing to Ben [Bova] about this very subject, and I said, look, fantasy has trees, and science fiction has rivets," Card said in a 1989 interview. "That's it, that's all the difference there is, the difference of feel, perception." Science fiction and fantasy both explore other realities than our own. And in the sense that either way what really matters in human nature, the difference is one of setting and environment.
But there is a fundamental difference -- one of aspiration. Humanity can look forward to the kinds of achievements postulated in science fiction, while with another part of our brain we can dream of the impossibilities conjured by fantasy. Science fiction expands our world; fantasy transcends it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #49
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Cool Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

I think it'll be similar to these pictures where they have a slightly medieval way of dressing but use sophisticated technology.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #50
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
they are both similiar so it is niether here or there
I see nothing similar between, let's say, the people walking thing (LOTR) and Star Wars. Fantasy was always medieval, forrest, wizards and knights and all that. Even in my local library under fantasy, that is filled, under science fiction it's not. It's always like that everywhere. But maybe I've been living a lie! But mind you, I am speaking of the esthetics, the outside look and feel, the setting, not the deeper meaning behind the genres! Just to clear any confusion! But ok, to each his own! I do wonder how this plays out. I just hope Krypton looks nothing like a medieval earth with high tech, because that would look stupid, imo.

Closed Thread