The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #51
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Sci-fi and Fantasy aren't limited to one thing, especially now when there's a huge blending of the two.

I dont' mind AS LONG AS IT'S ORIGINAL LOOKING and aseptically pleasing. I'm sick of movie just copying from the same movies: Star Wars, Blade Runner, and Aliens. I really think that Michael Bay's Transformers didn't help modern character designs but started the 'overly complicated' look that I hate now. That's why I prefer designers from Europe and Japan (some in America too like Mass Effect or Bioshock ) because they tend to think outside of the box, especially in video games. Keep things simple and beautiful.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #52
Project862006
Banned User

i think having snyder will help

dude has such a great visual eye dude is a huge comic and anime influenced fan

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #53
Octoberist
point blank

I know people give him crap sometimes, but yes, Snyder along with G. Del Toro have a great eye. Zack doesn't get enough credit, I feel.

You can tell when a director has a poor eye, such as Stephen Sommers. Again, I hated the designs of the Transformers, besides Bubblebee and Prime. Everyone else looked so busy or overly spiky.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #54
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I know people give him crap sometimes, but yes, Snyder along with G. Del Toro have a great eye. Zack doesn't get enough credit, I feel.

You can tell when a director has a poor eye, such as Stephen Sommers.
Way too much crap, imo. Just because they didn't like Sucker Punch. Snyder is a great director, not really a great filmmaker, but a great niche director, with indeed a great eye. But I just know, if MOS delivers, the same people that give him crap now won't give him his due and will instead claim Nolan rode the magical unicorn and blessed the film with his touch of god and made it all great.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #55
Octoberist
point blank

Well Sucker Punch pigeonholed Zack. It's not a great movie per say, but I've seen worse. It's just very inconsequential and self indulgent.

However, I liked 300 and 300 played a huge role in the 2000's, in how it introduced 'speed ramping'. (IE Fast swing for punch, but upon impact it's in slo-mo)

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Sci-fi and Fantasy aren't limited to one thing, especially now when there's a huge blending of the two.

I dont' mind AS LONG AS IT'S ORIGINAL LOOKING and aseptically pleasing. I'm sick of movie just copying from the same movies: Star Wars, Blade Runner, and Aliens. I really think that Michael Bay's Transformers didn't help modern character designs but started the 'overly complicated' look that I hate now. That's why I prefer designers from Europe and Japan (some in America too like Mass Effect or Bioshock ) because they tend to think outside of the box, especially in video games. Keep things simple and beautiful.
Quote:

You can tell when a director has a poor eye, such as Stephen Sommers. Again, I hated the designs of the Transformers, besides Bubblebee and Prime. Everyone else looked so busy or overly spiky.
Agreed with everything.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #57
Octoberist
point blank

I have to add Neill Bloomkamp to that crowd. And Ridley Scott. (Or he hires the right people).

It's funny that I think Nolan has a unique eye too though I don't agree with all of his design choices; I like his Bat vehicle designs along with his villains designs for Joker and Bane. but his Bat suits are too...mundane. It's understated and an acquired taste but I always give him a free pass because he's a great filmmaker. I'm bias!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #58
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I don't see how some of you guys aren't understanding the neo-medieval thing. The prefix "neo" means "new" or "modern" or "hi-tech." The medieval part is only referring to the styling of attire and structures. Look at some of Thor's designs for examples of neo-medieval:

Neo-medieval:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Neo-medieval:

Neo-medieval:

Neo-medieval:

Do any of these look like something you'd find in medieval times? Because they don't to me. They look like something otherworldly which is where they're going with the Superman movie.

Also, this is my first post in the Superman boards

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #59
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post

Neo-medieval:

Neo-medieval:

Neo-medieval:

Do any of these look like something you'd find in medieval times? Because they don't to me.
If the dudes in medieval times where aliens, sure

Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #60
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

I dig the idea. Taking an element we're familiar with and tweaking it somewhat is a nice way to "cheat" the appearance of an advanced culture, since more often than not, completely futuristic "sci-fi" aesthetics feel silly & dated very quickly. Fashion, technology, architecture, they hardly ever move in the linear ways our brains think.

Modifying designs from the past, though, can often give aesthetics a since of actual history and progression. You can see how something may've evolved.

I can look at a picture of Abe Lincoln and recognize what he's wearing to be a tux -- the design/silhouette hasn't changed that much (excluding the hat) -- you might even wear something similar on occasion, and yet along with it you might also have an iPad tucked under your arm and a bluetooth device in your ear as you hop into a 300+ horse-power, carbon-fiber computer-on-wheels, listening to the car tell you which way to turn on your way to the theater. Yeah, a tux is a tux, but almost every other aspect of our mundane lives would scare the s**t out of someone from the Civil-War era.

Some things change, some things don't, and some things only change superficially.

Also, a truly advanced civilization probably wouldn't give two shiny f**ks about clothing, so film-makers have to do something, since I doubt audiences are ready for a butt-nekkid Jor El just yet

Last edited by SpitCurl; 03-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #61
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If Superman's costume is Kryptonian based, then I wonder if it'll be the case where Jor-el and Lara placed his suit in his ship before sending him off to earth then.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #62
camp Blood
For your health!

neo medieval makes me think along the lines of the thor movie with there advanced tech being like magic and still dressing like warriors

Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #63
Binker
Side-Kick

I like the idea for one thing: it's original, neat, and a brillant idea for the franchise. Plus, I can't help but feel that this is also a retro idea, as if you remember the Kirk Alyn serials and the George Reeves series; Krypton had a very medieval feel. Either way, it's brand new, and new is what's needed for MOS.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #64
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!

So who thinks MOS could inspire a new fashion trend for us

Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #65
Kurosawa
Banned User

It'll be better than the crystal Krypton of the Donner movies, and at this stake, expecting anything that would look like Joe Shuster's Krypton would be too much to expect.

Hopefully one of these days someone who knows and understands Superman will make a movie about him.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #66
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Anything but Donner. Dear god get it away the Donner is gonna make me puke. Euurrggh Donner sucks so hard. NO MORE DONNER NO MORE DONNER NO MORE DONNER.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #67
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
It'll be better than the crystal Krypton of the Donner movies, and at this stake, expecting anything that would look like Joe Shuster's Krypton would be too much to expect.

Hopefully one of these days someone who knows and understands Superman will make a movie about him.
i disagree totally.

the crystal krypton & the FOS of the Donner movies are timeless. everything in the movies looks outdated in today's viewing but not the crystal stuffs. they still look futuristic today.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #68
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
i disagree totally.

the crystal krypton & the FOS of the Donner movies are timeless. everything in the movies looks outdated in today's viewing but not the crystal stuffs. they still look futuristic today.
Ugh, I hated them. And the disco outfits on Krypton and with the PZ villains looked like crap.

The only thing from the Donner movies that doesn't look dated is Superman's costume.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #69
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Ugh, I hated them. And the disco outfits on Krypton and with the PZ villains looked like crap.

The only thing from the Donner movies that doesn't look dated is Superman's costume.
oh. i hated those too.

i only mean the crystal look krypton and FOS look timeless and futuristic no matter when u watch it.

superman costume is timeless too. but not the donner's.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #70
sf2
Side-Kick

they r dissing the glasses too. because he think it looks stupid n audiences don't buy it.

i just think the more you try to make it 'realistic', the more mistakes / unconvinced solution u gonna get...

isn't it stupid too that alien looks exactly look human being?
isn't it stupid too that alien dressed in tights??
isn't it stupid too that alien gonna be the hero of human being???

why bother to make the movie???

damn. i see it gonna screwed up big.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #71
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'm glad they're trying to create a world in its own with what Wilkinson is saying. Especially the part with the language they made up.

But the neo-medieval style not so much. I didnt like it in THOR, but at least it belonged there. The Crowe-outfit doesnt work here imo, and furthermore it's just plain ugly too.
It's cool for fantasy, but I was hoping for the less fantastical approach and more scientific for MOS.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #72
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I agree that the crystal motif – and especially the crystal “tech” – still holds up. Nowadays, we smile at the computers in Alien (released within a year of STM) with its MS-DOS screens and dot-matrix-printer sound fx. But the STM crystals still “work” as a representation of advanced technology.

That said… I’m looking forward to a new interpretation of Krypton. Time to retire the Donnerverse.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #73
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I like the idea for one thing: it's original, neat, and a brillant idea for the franchise. Plus, I can't help but feel that this is also a retro idea, as if you remember the Kirk Alyn serials and the George Reeves series; Krypton had a very medieval feel. Either way, it's brand new, and new is what's needed for MOS.
Agree 100%

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #74
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!

The Donner look for Krypton is timeless. But it was so unimaginative.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #75
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

It was imaginative as none of the sci fi movies of that time could ever come up with that kind of world and tech, the hologram projector, memory crystals, self building FOS, ships made out of crystal, sun crystal, DNA crystal chamber was all imaginative.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Closed Thread