The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #51
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Official JLA discussion thread - Part 3

I liked the comic and where the story is going but the league didn't really feel like friends while they were fighting together, and i'm tired of the people of DC not only being j***k a***s but also the heroes not understanding the governments intentions, it's obvious they don't trust the heroes completelly but they have the right to know what's going on in the satelite, expecially since they're paying for it.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #52
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I liked the comic and where the story is going but the league didn't really feel like friends while they were fighting together, and i'm tired of the people of DC not only being j***k a***s but also the heroes not understanding the governments intentions, it's obvious they don't trust the heroes completelly but they have the right to know what's going on in the satelite, expecially since they're paying for it.
Doesn't Batman pay for the satelite?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
Lord
All Mighty

He should, but the comic had the government saying that they spend millions with the satellite so they technically have the right to know what's happening, and even if they didn't they should be allowed to, because lets face it, like Batman once said himself, the Justice League is one of the most powerful groups in the DCU, what would happen if they revolted against mankind? The government just want to be careful.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #54
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
but the league didn't really feel like friends while they were fighting together,
That's the point. Even with the previous issue, they clearly stated that they were not friends but needed to trick the public into thinking that they were. The only reason why they're banded together is to keep the local law enforcement off their backs and to make sure that something like Darkseid wouldn't happen again.

Batman and Green Lantern don't like each other, they all have a bunch of conflicting egos, and so on.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #55
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Doesn't Batman pay for the satelite?
In the previous continuity the Justice League was funded by Bruce Wayne with the assistance of acquiring tech from various alien societies like Krypton, Thanagar, Mars, and New Genesis.

In this continuity, A.R.G.U.S. funds the Justice League. They clearly establish in the Batman books that Bruce Wayne has a finite amount of wealth. He'd go broke if he funded the Justice League. The I.S.S. costs $150 billion, imagine how much the Justice League Watchtower would cost.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #56
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
He should, but the comic had the government saying that they spend millions with the satellite so they technically have the right to know what's happening, and even if they didn't they should be allowed to, because lets face it, like Batman once said himself, the Justice League is one of the most powerful groups in the DCU, what would happen if they revolted against mankind? The government just want to be careful.
While the government has the right, they wouldn't be able to get away with it. Justice League #7 and the Justice League International series clearly states that the people don't trust their governments while they fawn over the Justice League. It would be a PR nightmare if the government "imposed their will" against the Justice League.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #57
Kurosawa
Banned User

Meh, in Pre-Crisis Supes could whip up the JLA satellite in his sleep...the guy built planets for a hobby.

Now he's on a budget, and even Bruce Wayne is on a budget.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #58
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I couldnt really get into this issue since I couldnt stand the art.

And I am glad Bruce is on a budget and Supes cant create huge impressive things.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #59
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Sooo... How about that Shazam backup, huh? Billy sure is edgy nowadays, right? Hip with attitude.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #60
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Yeah....now he's a punk a**hole.....great.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #61
KingMob
Nothing to see here

Lame.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #62
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

So are we actually meant to like Steve Trevor

Because to me he seems like a boring jerk with anger management issues and a bad haircut

No wonder Wonder Woman dumped him. I hate him already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike_x1 View Post
Sooo... How about that Shazam backup, huh? Billy sure is edgy nowadays, right? Hip with attitude.
He's got a hip new 90's attitude yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter
That's the point. Even with the previous issue, they clearly stated that they were not friends but needed to trick the public into thinking that they were. The only reason why they're banded together is to keep the local law enforcement off their backs and to make sure that something like Darkseid wouldn't happen again.
I miss the team being friends

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #63
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Why is Steve a jerk?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #64
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
So are we actually meant to like Steve Trevor

Because to me he seems like a boring jerk with anger management issues and a bad haircut

No wonder Wonder Woman dumped him. I hate him already

He's got a hip new 90's attitude yo

I miss the team being friends
Me too, they could have their diferences and fight some times but here they just seem like people that hate each other being forced to fight together

Quote:
While the government has the right, they wouldn't be able to get away with it. Justice League #7 and the Justice League International series clearly states that the people don't trust their governments while they fawn over the Justice League. It would be a PR nightmare if the government "imposed their will" against the Justice League.
I'm not saying they should force themselves into the satelite, i'm saying that the League should let them into the satelite to see what's going on, if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #65
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Barry likes everyone!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #66
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Barry is really nice in this series

Quote:
Why is Steve a jerk?
The scene where he attacks a guy for asking if he slept with Wonder Woman is one of the reasons I didn't like him

Yeah its a personal question and I would understand if he told the guy to get lost but he physically attacks him

And the guy wasn't saying anything bad about Steve or Wonder Woman. He wasn't insulting them or anything he didnt say anything to justify being attacked like that

And i just don't like Steve overall especially not as a love interest for Wonder Woman. I prefer the Perez version of the character

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #67
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Barry is really nice in this series

The scene where he attacks a guy for asking if he slept with Wonder Woman is one of the reasons I didn't like him

Yeah its a personal question and I would understand if he told the guy to get lost but he physically attacks him

And the guy wasn't saying anything bad about Steve or Wonder Woman. He wasn't insulting them or anything he didnt say anything to justify being attacked like that

And i just don't like Steve overall especially not as a love interest for Wonder Woman. I prefer the Perez version of the character
Yeah, but that guy sells poison milk to school children.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #68
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Oh you

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #69
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why is Steve a jerk?
....apparently because that supposedly makes a character more interesting. That approach may work for Batman or Wolverine (though we know what's really underneath), but when it becomes the default position for redefining characters it gets tedious. There's nothing wrong with someone being a really good man (or woman) because that is their true motivation; if written well it does not come across as boring.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #70
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
And i just don't like Steve overall especially not as a love interest for Wonder Woman.
Steve can be a pretty awesome love interest for Wonder Woman.

Because it creates a great alegory of the dichotomy of both superheroes and men and women's comparative roles in society. Here you have Trevor, a war hero. Tough guy. Definitely the "dominate" type of male personality and standing in the world.

Then you have Wonder Woman who totally blows Trevor out of the water when it comes to the archetypical stereotype of male dominance and power. Suddenly, HE'S the one that needs saving, that can't keep up with Wonder Woman's strength and power.

Their whole relationship is basically a declaration of what Wonder Woman represents to female liberation and individual personal strength. Structurally speaking, he's the perfect love interest for a character like Wonder Woman.

That aside, I will say, personality-wise, I preferred Nemesis as a love interest. And they still presented some sociological questions of dominant personalities with his character. But, at the same time, I don't think he's quite as apt for those questions as Steve is.

Nemesis is a bit too closely tied to the world of superheroes - he doesn't really have that same level of inexperience and lack of power that Trevor naturally had. He IS able to take care of himself vs. legitimate supervillains at times. And his personality and backstory is less of the prototypical male archetypical...which hurts the overall allegory, IMO.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #71
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

PS - I swear, if your reply is as simple and trite as "eh, I like Wonder Woman with girls" I'm going to fly to England and slap you.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #72
Lord
All Mighty

Until now only Barry, Wonder Woman and Batman made me care for them in the JL comic to me, cyborg wasn't bad but was nothing special either, Aquaman didn't have enough lines, all my interest in him is because of his solo comic, Superman seems a bit angry and quiet for my taste in this comic, i prefer the more happy version of him that is appearing in Action Comics, Hal Jordan is being kind of a d**k here, and as with the others i mentioned, i prefer him in his GL comic, even if he's written by the same writer and still has some dumb moments his reaction with sinestro makes more sence than his reaction with Batman.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #73
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
PS - I swear, if your reply is as simple and trite as "eh, I like Wonder Woman with girls" I'm going to fly to England and slap you.
Sorry Cconn but I do :

You should know this about me by now. Straight romances in fiction bore the shiny leather pants off of me

I think that Io, Artemis or Zola would be an infinitely superior love interest in every way. Wonder Woman with guys just bores me

My favourite Wonder Woman run is Greg Rucka's partly because he clearly was setting Io up as Wonder Woman's love interest. That's interesting to me

Wonder Woman with a guy just isn't

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #74
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I'm sorry, but that's just plain simple mindedness and lack of intelligent insight on your part.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #75
Lord
All Mighty

I prefer to see steve as a love romance to wonder woman, and for me making Wonder Woman a lesbian is just like making Spider-Man or Superman gay, just because she's a woman doesn't mean the rules can be changed like that.