The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #76
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: Official JLA discussion thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I prefer to see steve as a love romance to wonder woman, and for me making Wonder Woman a lesbian is just like making Spider-Man or Superman gay, just because she's a woman doesn't mean the rules can be changed like that.
It's not even about that. It's not about making her a lesbian or straight or anything. It's about what the love interest adds to Wonder Woman as a character.

Like I said, personality-wise, Trevor isn't my favorite, but to not see his quality and worth as a love interest is just plain ignorant.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I didn't say I don't see his worth or quality CConn just that he isn't personally interesting to me as a love interest

I can understand why people like her with Steve its just not something that I'm personally interested in

I'm only really interested in same sex romances in fiction. They're the kind i want to read about

Straight romances just arent at all interesting to me. I dont care about the characters enough to feel any emotional investment in their romantic plotline

But your reasons for liking Wonder Woman with Steve are totally valid and there's nothing wrong with you liking them together

I just dont

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #78
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Also I think Wonder Woman is bisexual not a lesbian. She likes guys but I think that its clear she likes women as well and Rucka, Jiminez and Simone all consider her to be bisexual as well

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #79
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
I didn't say I don't see his worth or quality CConn just that he isn't personally interesting to me as a love interest

I can understand why people like her with Steve its just not something that I'm personally interested in

I'm only really interested in same sex romances in fiction. They're the kind i want to read about

Straight romances just arent at all interesting to me. I dont care about the characters enough to feel any emotional investment in their romantic plotline

But your reasons for liking Wonder Woman with Steve are totally valid and there's nothing wrong with you liking them together

I just dont
you dont think steve is interesting as a love interest, but you'd say that in regards to ANY male as her love interest. which is unfairly biased and narrow minded.

WW isnt bisexual. she is straight. she will always be straight. any subtext you see is unintentional and wishful thinking on your part. if you are only interested in same sex relationships in fiction, then pretty much the only DC book you need to be interested in is Batwoman, and thats a great book. but constantly projecting bias sexual orientation on female characters where it's not warranted or justified is pretty futile.

enjoy the characters for what they are. they are not defined by their sexuality.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #80
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Batwoman isn't the only DC book that features same sex couples though

Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet in Legion of Superheroes are a lesbian couple, Apollo and midnighter in Stormwatch are a gay couple, Carmen and Bonnie in Resurrection Man are a lesbian couple, Starling in Birds of Prey is a lesbian who has a girlfriend and Bunker in Teen Titans is gay

And yep those are the only DC comic books I care about as i only care about lgbt characters in fiction.

I want more lgbt characters in comics

Those are the kind of characters that I enjoy and that i actually care about and there aren't enough

Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #81
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
you dont think steve is interesting as a love interest, but you'd say that in regards to ANY male as her love interest. which is unfairly biased and narrow minded.
Same sex romances are just the only romances that i actually feel any emotional investment in. When i read about a guy with a girl i honestly couldnt care less if they get together or not

Quote:
WW isnt bisexual. she is straight. she will always be straight. any subtext you see is unintentional and wishful thinking on your part.
Simone has said the subtext was completely intentional. Both she and Rucka consider Diana to be bisexual

Quote:
if you are only interested in same sex relationships in fiction, then pretty much the only DC book you need to be interested in is Batwoman, and thats a great book. but constantly projecting bias sexual orientation on female characters where it's not warranted or justified is pretty futile.

enjoy the characters for what they are. they are not defined by their sexuality.
What's wrong with wanting more same sex couples in comic books though

We need more same sex characters in comic books. There are not enough and they are the kinds of characters and the kinds of relationships i want to read about

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #82
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
But quality and worth is what creates interest.

But you seem to be too blinded by your own personal interests to give a **** about anything outside of what you personally are into. Which is ignorant.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #83
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Cconn I'm not saying that heterosexuality is bad or that there should be no heterosexual characters or anything like that. I'm not telling people they have to like what i like

I'm just saying that I'm only interested personally in reading about same sex couples and I want more comics and stories to feature same sex couples as that's what I enjoy

I can't force myself to be interested in straight romances in fiction. I just don't feel any emotional connection or involvement with the characters

Doesnt mean their bad characters or bad relationships. Just means that its not what I'm interested in reading

I personally consider Wonder Woman bisexual. I'd like to see her with a girlfriend. If she doesnt get a girlfriend then it doesn't mean I hate the character I'll still like her. Her love life just won't be interesting to me

I like to read about the dudes with the dudes and the ladies with the ladies. Those are just the kind of romances i really get emotionally invested in

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #84
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Getting back on topic is anyone else reading JLI

I can't believe what they did to the team last issue

Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #85
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Cconn I'm not saying that heterosexuality is bad or that there should be no heterosexual characters or anything like that. I'm not telling people they have to like what i like

I can't force myself to be interested in straight romances in fiction. I just don't feel any emotional connection or involvement with the characters
But they don't always have to be about emotional involvement or connection. They can be about intellectual meaning or insight.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #86
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

For me personally if I don't have that emotional connection the relationship just isn't interesting for me to read about at all

So that's why I just have no interest in straight couples. I just dont care about their relationships

Not saying your wrong just that for me personally that emotional connection has to be there to find a romance interesting

I still like the characters if their well written. But straight romance bores me

It's why i cant stand romantic movies or romantic comedies unless they are about lesbian couples or gay couples. If their about straight couples I'm just utterly bored

Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #87
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
The scene where he attacks a guy for asking if he slept with Wonder Woman is one of the reasons I didn't like him

Yeah its a personal question and I would understand if he told the guy to get lost but he physically attacks him

And the guy wasn't saying anything bad about Steve or Wonder Woman. He wasn't insulting them or anything he didnt say anything to justify being attacked like that

And i just don't like Steve overall especially not as a love interest for Wonder Woman. I prefer the Perez version of the character
It was clear (to me atleast) that the guy was trying to a creep. It wasnt just a simple "Just wondering, have you and WW ever slept together?" it was "I heard you and WW had a thing going on. She wear the boots in bed" He obviously wasnt well meaning in his question. And not as if he knew Steve that well. He went out of his way after the conference to try to get some scoop on how good WW is in bed.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #88
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
For me personally if I don't have that emotional connection the relationship just isn't interesting for me to read about at all

So that's why I just have no interest in straight couples. I just dont care about their relationships

Not saying your wrong just that for me personally that emotional connection has to be there to find a romance interesting

I still like the characters if their well written. But straight romance bores me

It's why i cant stand romantic movies or romantic comedies unless they are about lesbian couples or gay couples. If their about straight couples I'm just utterly bored
Yes, I'm aware. You've repeated this all multiple times.

Which is why I'm calling to closed minded. Because you have a very narrow and personal way of viewing these types of thigs, and you don't really care about anything outside of that narrow view.

I'm not saying you hate straight couples or are a bigot or anything, but you are most definitely closed minded.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #89
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry Cconn but I do :

You should know this about me by now. Straight romances in fiction bore the shiny leather pants off of me

I think that Io, Artemis or Zola would be an infinitely superior love interest in every way. Wonder Woman with guys just bores me

My favourite Wonder Woman run is Greg Rucka's partly because he clearly was setting Io up as Wonder Woman's love interest. That's interesting to me

Wonder Woman with a guy just isn't
Sorry, but when you have a character that has been around as long as Wonder Woman, you can't just suddenly change their sexuality. Wonder Woman has been a heterosexual since she was created back in the 1940's and should stay that way.

And dare I say, this is the first time that I have ever found Steve Trevor to be any bit interesting.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #90
Shazam
Side-Kick

I thought that a romance with Superman and Wonder Woman might finally be explored instead of teased.

Anybody getting tired of Batman being put on the short bus by the others?? Maybe he should just leave. This is the most useless version of the Batman in a League book that I've ever seen.

Billy Batson goes gansta now??? Really?? Juvenile delinquent??

Good and innocent just doesn't cut it anymore I guess. In this Jersey Shore loving culture of ours, even morally good characters need to be dragged down in to the gutter to be attractive. Sad...

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #91
Karem-Knight
Side-Kick

Okay I think I have everyone personality/purpose in this Justice League.

Hal- Fonzie with a power ring.
Barry- The nice guy of the group, there to remind us that Hal Jordan is awesome.
Batman- The angry authortive figure that gets in the way of Hal's fun. "Grrrr we need plans. bla bla bla, I'm angry and like plans. ra ra ra."
Wonder Woman-The outsider "chick" of the team, the nicest one of the group. But loves to hit things.
Cyborg- The team's iPad and fridge
Aquaman- Says cool one liners and hits stuff with a trident.

I cant figure out what Superman is though.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #92
Lord
All Mighty

Superman is the T-Dog of the group

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #93
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

None of them have respect for each other so of course they could care less about what Batman has to say. But this is 5yrs later now? Or is that happening later on?

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #94
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Nope the series is taking place in the present now

Which makes it kind of depressing that none of them like each other five years later

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #95
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:

Which makes it kind of depressing that none of them like each other five years later
Also because Green Lantern doesn't act like this in his own book!!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #96
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Also because Green Lantern doesn't act like this in his own book!!
This book he has his ring and is part of a group everyone loves that spends it's time saving the world. In his book he's lost his ring, his life has fallen apart and he is at the mercy of Sinestro. Context.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #97
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:

they like each other

playful ribbing is part of male bonding tbqh

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #98
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I thought that a romance with Superman and Wonder Woman might finally be explored instead of teased.

Anybody getting tired of Batman being put on the short bus by the others?? Maybe he should just leave. This is the most useless version of the Batman in a League book that I've ever seen.

Billy Batson goes gansta now??? Really?? Juvenile delinquent??

Good and innocent just doesn't cut it anymore I guess. In this Jersey Shore loving culture of ours, even morally good characters need to be dragged down in to the gutter to be attractive. Sad...
This unfortunately seems to be the case.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #99
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
And dare I say, this is the first time that I have ever found Steve Trevor to be any bit interesting.
for sure, it feels like someone finally knows what to do with him

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #100
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Quote:

Maybe it's just homosexual sexual tension!