The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #101
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: Official JLA discussion thread - Part 3

I liked when Steve Trevor sounded like Nathan Fillion.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #102
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

His fists are not the hammer

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #103
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
This book he has his ring and is part of a group everyone loves that spends it's time saving the world. In his book he's lost his ring, his life has fallen apart and he is at the mercy of Sinestro. Context.
So he acts like a teenaged kid in JL but acts like he's an adult in his own book because he has his ring??? seriously?? He was the epitome of stability during Blackest Night (before he lost his ring)and "War of the Green Lanterns". That saga still happened.

That's a stretch if there ever was one. How about DC editors still don't know how to pick up a phone and call each other? Even after blowing up everything and starting over.....

Batman's had 4 sidekicks in five years.....one fully grown.

Damian Wayne talks like Tim Drake in one Bat Book and talks like the proper foreigner in another Bat book.

DC is just sloppy. It's a shame really.

Last edited by Shazam; 03-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #104
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

It's a little embarrassing that bruce felt the need to adopt a 17 year old V_V

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #105
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So he acts like a teenaged kid in JL but acts like he's an adult in his own book because he has his ring??? seriously?? He was the epitome of stability during Blackest Night (before he lost his ring)and "War of the Green Lanterns". That saga still happened.
No. He doesn't act like a teenage kid, he acts confident when in front of his peers and not in a serious situation. He gets more serious when the situation calls for it, like when he's fighting super zombies or his friends turned evil. If you can't see the difference you have to be trying not to do so.

You want Geoff Johns to call Geoff Johns to make sure the way Hal acts is synced up?

In what book does Damian act like Tim?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #106
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
No. He doesn't act like a teenage kid, he acts confident when in front of his peers and not in a serious situation. He gets more serious when the situation calls for it, like when he's fighting super zombies or his friends turned evil. If you can't see the difference you have to be trying not to do so.

You want Geoff Johns to call Geoff Johns to make sure the way Hal acts is synced up?

In what book does Damian act like Tim?
No. that's not confidence in JL. He's being a jerk. He's flirting with a man's ex as he saves her? In his own book, he fully committed to Carol again. In the GL Corp, he's got "peers" all around him and he level headed and acts like a leader.....a guy that likes to plan.

Maybe it's you that refuses to see the difference.

Yes...I want Johns to be consistant in how GL acts. Stan Lee did that with Marvel and Marvel still does it today.

Either in Dark Knight 1 or 2,(maybe #3) Damian makes a cameo and uses the term "S'funny". Damien is too prim and proper and arrogant to use anything less than the kings english. "Father" never "Dad". "Strange or Peculiar" never "S'funny". He calls Alfred "Pennyworth".

Finch got his Robins mixed up. A small thing. But shows that they ain't talking to each other.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #107
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Sorry, but when you have a character that has been around as long as Wonder Woman, you can't just suddenly change their sexuality. Wonder Woman has been a heterosexual since she was created back in the 1940's and should stay that way.

And dare I say, this is the first time that I have ever found Steve Trevor to be any bit interesting.
Well even if their not going to have Wonder Woman finally come out of the invisible closet and admit what she gets up to on Paradise Island (You know I'm right hippie hunter. Search your feelings you know it to be true ) they should still have at least one openly lgbt member on the league

Its about time the JLA had a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender hero on the team. And if the league did have an lgbt member I would actually have a reason to buy the series If they add an lgbt hero to the league I would totally buy this series

As it is I've dropped Justice League.

The only character I really like is Aquaman but he's not in it enough for me to buy it just for him

I might be dropping JLI as they've killed off or hospitalised everyone I liked except Godiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer

It was clear (to me atleast) that the guy was trying to a creep. It wasnt just a simple "Just wondering, have you and WW ever slept together?" it was "I heard you and WW had a thing going on. She wear the boots in bed" He obviously wasnt well meaning in his question. And not as if he knew Steve that well. He went out of his way after the conference to try to get some scoop on how good WW is in bed.
Oh yeah he was a creep but I dont think what he said justified Steve's reaction

Steve should have just told him to get lost and kept his cool. Having him react so violently felt like it was meant to make him seem 'bad ass' but to me it just made him seem like a guy with a violent temper

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #108
Kurosawa
Banned User

The team not having a LGBT member is no reason to drop the title, but the fact that the comic sucks ass is plenty of reason to drop it.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #109
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

If MM was still on the team, he could just give himself a vagina to quality for LGBT status.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #110
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
Same sex romances are just the only romances that i actually feel any emotional investment in. When i read about a guy with a girl i honestly couldnt care less if they get together or not
thats totally cool. i can appreciate that. but to project your sexuality on characters where it is not warranted, is what i take issue with.

Quote:
Simone has said the subtext was completely intentional. Both she and Rucka consider Diana to be bisexual
other than the fact that simones run on wonder woman was less than entertaining, you are talking about two writers in the 70-some year history of the character.

Quote:
What's wrong with wanting more same sex couples in comic books though
nothing at all.

Quote:
We need more same sex characters in comic books. There are not enough and they are the kinds of characters and the kinds of relationships i want to read about
again, totally cool. i got no complaints there.

but what you're doing would be like me constantly on these boards going: I cant wait for batwoman and nightwing to hook up. she's just faking the lesbian thing, its just a rebellious phase she's going through. there is so much hetero subtext, and i cant wait for her and nightwing to hook up.

i can appreciate yer into same sex fiction. i can dig it. i can dig there being more of it in comics. but you act like all these female characters are secretly gay/bi in an attempt to fulfill yer personal fantasies and expectations of them. and if yer gonna project that....okay. but surely you have to understand that that isnt the truth about these characters, and it looks ridiculous on yer behalf to always be going on about it trying to convince everyone else of it.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #111
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

If my memory of Wonder Woman mythos serves me; Steve was the first man Diana had ever seen. She knew she was interested right away...she knew what she wanted....and it wasn't more amazon sisters! Wonder Woman was always into men (she was always getting tied up by them back in the day). You can't take a character that has been established as something for over seventy years and turn her into something else because some writer has a proclivity for it. Just like you can't decide Superman and Batman have been "in the closet" all these years. (For that they created Apollo and Midnighter .)

Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #112
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
Well even if their not going to have Wonder Woman finally come out of the invisible closet and admit what she gets up to on Paradise Island (You know I'm right hippie hunter. Search your feelings you know it to be true ) they should still have at least one openly lgbt member on the league

Its about time the JLA had a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender hero on the team. And if the league did have an lgbt member I would actually have a reason to buy the series If they add an lgbt hero to the league I would totally buy this series

As it is I've dropped Justice League.

The only character I really like is Aquaman but he's not in it enough for me to buy it just for him
This is just a bit too ridiculous for my tastes. That would be like me going, "Hey! How come none of the JLA are Jews?! WTF, guys? I mean, most of their creators are! I'm done with this book until Superman puts on a yarmulke." See, that complaint doesn't really make any sense. Plus it's weird to much with the characters' histories in that sort of way.

I agree with Kuro. If you're gonna drop the book at least do it for a quality-based reason. (Personally I find JL to be pretty mediocre, though I still buy it.)

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #113
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
This is just a bit too ridiculous for my tastes. That would be like me going, "Hey! How come none of the JLA are Jews?! WTF, guys? I mean, most of their creators are! I'm done with this book until Superman puts on a yarmulke." See, that complaint doesn't really make any sense. Plus it's weird to much with the characters' histories in that sort of way.

I agree with Kuro. If you're gonna drop the book at least do it for a quality-based reason. (Personally I find JL to be pretty mediocre, though I still buy it.)
But the main guy in the JLA is a Jew from Space.

But seriously, the characters just need to be themselves, and they really aren't that in Johns hands. He just creates new characters and give them the labels of the classics. That immature creep he's been writing for years named Hal Jordan has nothing in common with John Broome's character who was a responsible adult.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #114
Harlekin
Business

There's no need to make one of the characters gay, but creating an lgbt member wouldn't be a bad thing.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #115
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

exactly

Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #116
Blue Hero
Side-Kick

Going onto another subject...

I haven't picked up the JLA book and I just wanted to know...

Where does Superman's personality fit in with the group. He's always been the boy scout/quarterback/point-man/nice guy on the group who builds others up and inspires them. I hear they're giving the Nice-Guy thing to Flash (sigh--JL Animated Flash is truly gone), the building others up thing to Batman... so is Supes taking the Martian Manhunter role of the standoffish alien? Because that would totally... not be what I like about the character.

Blue Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #117
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hero View Post
Going onto another subject...

I haven't picked up the JLA book and I just wanted to know...

Where does Superman's personality fit in with the group. He's always been the boy scout/quarterback/point-man/nice guy on the group who builds others up and inspires them. I hear they're giving the Nice-Guy thing to Flash (sigh--JL Animated Flash is truly gone), the building others up thing to Batman... so is Supes taking the Martian Manhunter role of the standoffish alien? Because that would totally... not be what I like about the character.

That's the problem. This version just seems to be a "bruiser". He seems to not even "think" about how to go into action. The fact that you even had to ask that question means that his personality and role is yet undefined. By now it should be obvious what his role is. He inspires no one. He a downer in his own book. Just look at the new Clark Kent....he's Peter Parker.....always moping ....down....pining after Lois. "sigh"

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #118
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Not so Super I'm afraid......damn I miss Superman. (Yeah I know it's only been 7 months, but it seems like longer ).

Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #119
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
The team not having a LGBT member is no reason to drop the title, but the fact that the comic sucks ass is plenty of reason to drop it.
I'm dropping the book because its horribly boring for many reasons Kurosawa

Geoff Johns managed to make a story about evil alien gods invading earth the most boring comic I have ever read

But if they introduced an lgbt character onto the team i would start buying it again because I always buy comic books starring positive lgbt characters as those are the only characters I care about at all

I always buy pro lgbt series. I think there's only about two comics I'm buying right now that dont feature lgbt characters in the cast

The fact that their are no lgbt characters in jla is just one of the many reasons i find the series utterly tedious. But if they had a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender member on the team that would give me a reason to be interested in this series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlekin
There's no need to make one of the characters gay, but creating an lgbt member wouldn't be a bad thing.
They absolutely should have an lgbt member on the jla and I hope that they do

If they do that will be all the reason I need to start buying this series again

Until they do I'm not going to be buying Justice League. I'll save my money for books i care about like Batwoman and Birds of Prey

Last edited by Mystirious; 03-23-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #120
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar Colossus View Post
Not so Super I'm afraid......damn I miss Superman. (Yeah I know it's only been 7 months, but it seems like longer ).

It is my sincere hope that this whole thing is like Marvel's "Onslaught" fiasco. Remember that?? They had that fake Rob Lifeld Cap and that new Jim Lee FF??
That weird Thor???

They brought back the "real" characters!

The New Coke in the 80's had to be a joke that made everybody WANT the old Coke even more!

I'm hoping that the old DC was put in some kind of stasis because of Flashpoint and that this is a Pocket Universe".

Hey I can dream...right??

Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #121
Anubis
Sup?

Why do people keep deluding themselves with this s**t?

They didn't go back on the change from the Golden to the Silver, they didn't go back on COIE, they aren't gonna go back on this. In another 20 or so years, they'll do another one, and it will be just as "extreme" or whatever as the last one. Piss off a bunch of people, bring in a few lapsed fans and a few new ones who will proclaim that that is the best it's ever been, even though they probably never really read any damn thing before that.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #122
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Why do people keep deluding themselves with this s**t?

They didn't go back on the change from the Golden to the Silver, they didn't go back on COIE, they aren't gonna go back on this. In another 20 or so years, they'll do another one, and it will be just as "extreme" or whatever as the last one. Piss off a bunch of people, bring in a few lapsed fans and a few new ones who will proclaim that that is the best it's ever been, even though they probably never really read any damn thing before that.
Hey...I can hope.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #123
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I hope the new DCU is here to stay personally

The only thing I miss about the old DCU is Secret Six. They should bring them back

Suicide Squad and Justice League suck but i never really cared about those series anyway so that doesn't bother me

Overall I'm happy with the new DCU

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #124
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
thats totally cool. i can appreciate that. but to project your sexuality on characters where it is not warranted, is what i take issue with.

other than the fact that simones run on wonder woman was less than entertaining, you are talking about two writers in the 70-some year history of the character.

nothing at all.

again, totally cool. i got no complaints there.

but what you're doing would be like me constantly on these boards going: I cant wait for batwoman and nightwing to hook up. she's just faking the lesbian thing, its just a rebellious phase she's going through. there is so much hetero subtext, and i cant wait for her and nightwing to hook up.

i can appreciate yer into same sex fiction. i can dig it. i can dig there being more of it in comics. but you act like all these female characters are secretly gay/bi in an attempt to fulfill yer personal fantasies and expectations of them. and if yer gonna project that....okay. but surely you have to understand that that isnt the truth about these characters, and it looks ridiculous on yer behalf to always be going on about it trying to convince everyone else of it.
If DC gave me more canonically lgbt couples I wouldn't need to ship so many slash pairings

I dont want to read about women with some boring guy. It's just utterly tedious to me and not something i have any desire to read personally. But its almost the only romance we ever get in fiction. There are only about five gay or lesbian couples in the whole DCU right now. That's not nearly enough

If DC gives me more lgbt couples to read about in canon instead of boring heterosexual ones I won't have to keep coming up with slash pairings to entertain myself

I hope they do give us more lgbt characters and couples. There needs to be more in comics and I know I'll be far less bored and frustrated if there are more gay and lesbian couples in the DCU

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #125
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

I think, even in the fantasy-logic of comics, that it's kind of stupid to say that Wonder Woman didn't probably have some kind of bi-fling or some **** like that on Paradise Island. It's an island of all women. Someone's gonna **** something. I mean...come on. I guess you could bring bestiality into it all if you really want to sidestep the homosexual aspect of it, but there's no way you can walk away from this situation and assume that Wonder Woman and all the Amazons were asexual until a man landed on their island.

That being said, Wonder Woman is obviously straight. Even if she did have a bi-fling, it seems pretty obvious from the original stories and onward that she's really only interested in male characters. Steve Trevor is the best option for her love interest, period, for a variety of reasons, one of which being the fact that he is a man. She needs that kind of thing in her supporting cast to balance out certain aspects of her character being one.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote