The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #301
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: The Avengers- THEATRICAL TRAILER Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
haha good to hear. I was pretty out of it last night. Was on the Desperado's and Gin and juices from about 1 in the afternoon til 9 at night.
I think I told this one guy "I'm Thor, don't you see the ****in tornado" but I'm still pretty wasted so I might just be tripping.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #302
The Morningstar
Banned User

You sure it was just the booze you was on hahaha

I've tried to do that "action movie slide across a car bonnet" whilst off my head before. It didn't turn out well!

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #303
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
You sure it was just the booze you was on hahaha

I've tried to do that "action movie slide across a car bonnet" whilst off my head before. It didn't turn out well!
I tried to command the elements of the storm, but some reason they just wouldn't listen my man.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #304
hatebox
Side-Kick

Late to the party, but that was a good trailer. They were smart to go the Transformers-esque route rather than focus on the superhero team up aspect - something only fans care about.

hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #305
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Some people here (and a ton on CBM, *shudder*) are outstandingly close-minded when it comes to other genres sometimes. They'll be first to jump up and adamantly state why superhero movies are for everyone and have more layers than the stereotypical image some have of them and explain how the characters are well-defined and are just as, if not more, interesting than any other blockbuster surrounding them; but when an article goes up showing how The Hunger Games has awesome reviews out and is very mature with its subject matter, not based around melodramatic romance, they just go "looks like more ******** for the Twilight tweens, gonna skip this one." Good lord.

I'll be seeing it with some people this afternoon, and I haven't even read the books.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #306
hatebox
Side-Kick

Yes, people shouldn't underestimate THG. Many reviews have commented on how surprsingly dark it is for its rating. And with the word of mouth its getting on top of that opeing weekedn you could flip a coin as to whether its domestic box office will surpass the Avengers right now.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #307
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Like I said, congrats to THG. This just reaffirms my inability to predict BO and what draws people in.

I've read enough reviews to be virtually certain that it doesn't appeal to me so I think I'll wait for dvd.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #308
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Some people here (and a ton on CBM, *shudder*) are outstandingly close-minded when it comes to other genres sometimes. They'll be first to jump up and adamantly state why superhero movies are for everyone and have more layers than the stereotypical image some have of them and explain how the characters are well-defined and are just as, if not more, interesting than any other blockbuster surrounding them; but when an article goes up showing how The Hunger Games has awesome reviews out and is very mature with its subject matter, not based around melodramatic romance, they just go "looks like more ******** for the Twilight tweens, gonna skip this one." Good lord.

I'll be seeing it with some people this afternoon, and I haven't even read the books.
Very true. Sometimes when I see some of the opinions on this board I just sit back and shake my head at the ignorance and small mindedness.

I didn't even hear of the Hunger Games books till late last year. From what i know about the stories it seems like good sci-fi that does something interesting with the whole post-apocalyptic concept. So what if it has a female lead and a romance sub plot? Does that mean it's automatically some tweener movie for girls?

From what i gather it's similar to Children of Men. And Children of Men is one of the best movies ever. So...

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #309
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Or maybe some people are making informed decisions based upon reviews that the movie is not for them. I looked at all the trailers multiple times and read several official and personal reviews (from people with similar tastes to mine). Here are some of the reasons it doesn't interest me:

1: NONE of the trailers have looked good to me. I have seen absolutely nothing in them that looks interesting.
2: All the reports say the the action scenes are bad with ad nauseum shaky cam/quick cuts; a technique that I am really really tired of, and to me shows that the director cannot film action well. Plus you wait an hour and a half in before there's any.
3: The drama has been described by multiple people who have similar tastes to mine as boring, to the point of people warning others to not see this movie.
4: Many of the 'good' reviews have been very mixed and it's obvious they were'nt really impressed but enough was done well that they are obliged to give a good review.
5: Some of the subject matter doesn't really sound interesting. There's talk of social commentary about reality tv addiction, etc. I don't watch reality tv and thus have I no interest in that. Same thing with the teen girl coming of age stuff. If that sounds interesting to you then great but to some people it's really not.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #310
Splat
Side-Kick

In regards to the shakey cam he did that to tone down the violence some so they could get a PG-13 rating. In fact you don't even see most of the kids die.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #311
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

You just hear it.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #312
hatebox
Side-Kick

THG just got a weekend estimate of $155m. I'd say it's 50/50 right now as to whether TA can beat that.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #313
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

Beating that opening is going be very tough no doubt.

DarthAlani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #314
antovolk
Side-Kick

Went to see The Hunger Games on Friday, after 15 mins of boring generic ads - BAM - 2 Whedon trailers in a row - Cabin in the Woods, followed by The Avengers (in my case Avengers Assemble, as I was in London). Interestingly enough, it didn't show the extra scenes as people have said the trailer shown with John Carter did, probably because Hunger Games was in 2D.
The sad thing? There was a much better reaction to the Cabin trailer. Probably becuase everyone's seen the Avengers one by now. But that's coming from an audience of 50 (half the seats filled) at an afternoon showing, 90% of which were schoolkids on a trip.

antovolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #315
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I simply wanted to thank The Avengers trailer for disparaging and wiping the memory that was The Twilight Teaser last night.

The horror.

Prometheus got the bigger reaction from audience (established franchise) but The Avengers shut The Twilight Fangirls up.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #316
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Quote:
Very true. Sometimes when I see some of the opinions on this board I just sit back and shake my head at the ignorance and small mindedness.

I didn't even hear of the Hunger Games books till late last year. From what i know about the stories it seems like good sci-fi that does something interesting with the whole post-apocalyptic concept. So what if it has a female lead and a romance sub plot? Does that mean it's automatically some tweener movie for girls?

From what i gather it's similar to Children of Men. And Children of Men is one of the best movies ever. So...
Well I can't speak for others but if they are on these sites for anything close to the same reason that I am then no where was it stated that we are film fans. I myself am just interested pretty much only in the MCU movies at this point and largely have shed much interest even in other superhero genre films apart from that. But if I hadn't I'd still only be interested in superhero/comic book films and I suspect I'm not alone in that sentiment. There's no requirement to be open-minded with regards to cinema in general especially when I know from experience how little I care about the rest of movies/tv/etc. After all, it's not like we're paid critics. Honestly THG never really could have been interesting to me. All I needed to hear was "based on a young adult" anything and I'd already written it off. I knew the odds of me liking it at that point were infinitesimal. Now I'm not going to bad mouth it since to me it's a non-entity just like Harry Potter, Twilight and a whole host of others are and after all I haven't seen them(and I never will). Some may call that close-minded but to me it's just being really in tune with one's particular tastes and choosing not to waste time on things that aren't worth it. All in my own opinion, of course and I speak only for myself.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #317
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

I got the The Avengers trailer when I went to see The Hunger Games as well. Brilliant on the cinema. Shame the same can't be said for THG itself. A good book but a really poor film. A cross between The Running Man and Battle Royale and no where near as good as either.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #318
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I simply wanted to thank The Avengers trailer for disparaging and wiping the memory that was The Twilight Teaser last night.

The horror.

Prometheus got the bigger reaction from audience (established franchise) but The Avengers shut The Twilight Fangirls up.
That's funny because when I went to see The Hunger Games, someone said "that looks like it's going to be boring" after the Prometheus trailer played.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #319
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Well, my audience was more diverse and a bit older (alot of 20-30 year olds). And guessing from the reactions, they're big Alien, and possible Predator fans.

Wouldn't surprise me considering the genre is a cross-breed between Sci-Fi and Horror and it's been around for over 20 years.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #320
Bren
Forevernoob

IT seems some people put a lot of stock into how a very small group of people behave towards a trailer... My experience is this; either noone comments (or at least, the noise hum that a group of people make doesn't change), or one or two people comment.

And I really cannot attribute any kind of 'feel' for a movie based on that. Or even if the entire movie house erupted in cheers and started cartwheeling. I'd just assume something dodgy had been pumped into the aircon hahaha

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #321
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Saw The Avengers trailer with The Hunger Games today (good movie by the way), and I was proud of my girlfriend talking about how incredibly awesome it looked even though she saw it on my laptop already. It's just so different seeing it in the theater.

Oh, and the teaser for Twilight that immediately followed was hysterical. Loved that too.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #322
Splat
Side-Kick

Before the Hunger Games I saw trailers for the Avengers, the Amazing Spider-man, Dark Shadows, Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Cabin In the Woods, Snow White & the Huntsman, and Breaking Dawn. No reaction to any of them.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #323
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Lucky you.

Taylor Latner and Robert Pattinson were nearly responsible for me going deaf.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #324
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

"We're the same temperature now."

Hahahaha that was gold

Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #325
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I should have purposely missed the previews. It's not like I got a good seat anyways -- all of the seats with the railing were taken.