The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 6

This is a bit off topic but when tih was in the campaigning stages the fight between abomination and hulk was said to be 26 minutes does anyone remember this? If so what happenile it was only like 10 if that

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post
I don't know where some people are getting their info from, but the Incredible Hulk TV show was successful in it's time
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm
Not in the top 25 for 77-78 (The Incredible Hulk #26)
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1978.htm
Not in the top 30 for 78-79
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1979.htm
Not in the top 30 for 79-80
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1980.htm
Not in the top 30 for 80-81
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1981.htm
Not in the top 30 for 81-82

I think comic fans think that show was a much bigger hit than it really was. I was the biggest Hulk fan going and I was excited about it too...until I saw it. It could not be termed a "hit"....it just managed to hang on long enough to get some faulty ideas about the character into the general consciousness.

I was just reading about that show....the TV producers wanted to make the Hulk red for a while! Oh my god...just how clueless were they? They called Banner "David" because they thought Bruce was "too gay sounding".

I can't take anything serious about that show.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
The Morningstar
Banned User

Whether it was good or not, it elevated Hulk to pop culture icon status, which he still clings onto today.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Jeet, everything you say about that show in regards to the Hulk himself I agree with, and have said myself in here. But what your suggesting about cutting Banner out completely is where we disagree.

Just like any other superhero, the trick is making the alter ego interesting. Before Bale, I couldn't care less about any of the previous "Bruce Waynes" now I prefer his Wayne over his own Batman. Same thing with RDJ's Stark, which makes those films way better than IM does, TBH.

Inherently Banner can be a dry character, and like you pointed out, Bixby strayed from that somewhat, which to me isn't a big deal as long as it works. Its up to the creative team along with the actor to decide how to improve this. As much as it was a corny scene, I loved when Norton's Bruce tried to have sex. Had there been a little more of that humanity, perhaps the role wouldn't be so bland, and conversely, make the Hulk himself something more meaningful beyond an action device.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

People who compares Bixby as Banner with the cinematic counterparts usually forget the actor (every actor) in a tv series has a lot more time to show his character, to really develop it, and find the right balance of emotions and characteristics.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
Cth
Side-Kick

It was one of the longest running superhero shows ever, at least until recent years like Smallville came along.

But yeah, it was definitely a success.

The key element missing from the 2003 and 2009 that the TV did right was to bring some element of danger or foreboding in anticipation of the transformation. It made the audience tense and provided emotional release when he finally did transform and release. It wasn't just a suit that Bruce wore in other words. 2003 and 2009 didn't do that aspect justice. 2009 attempted part of it making it tense but there was no real punishment factor or reward for Hulking out -- no emotional punch, it was just a suit essentially. 2003 approached it from the other end, the feeling of release and letting go of the pent up anger.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

Lets see what 2014's does

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
People who compares Bixby as Banner with the cinematic counterparts usually forget the actor (every actor) in a tv series has a lot more time to show his character, to really develop it, and find the right balance of emotions and characteristics.
I don't, I'm talking strictly the Pilot, which to me is still his finest work on the show (maybe put The Married Episodes too) and easily outclasses both film iterations IMO.

The Hyperbaric Chamber experiment in the Pilot alone shows a full range of emotions. The anticipation that he's on the right track, anger at Elaina not wanting to do it, frustration when it fails and ultimately the hope they instill in each other, punctuated by a touch separated by glass. I could feel his dire situation in that one scene more than anything in either feature film. And that's why the whole thing works, not Ferrigno. Not in the slightest. And a pure cgi creation without that emotional investment is even worse.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 03-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #34
DyeLorean

Yeah, that's why I carefully placed the word "usually" in there

Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #35
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
Yeah, that's why I carefully placed the word "usually" in there
Just clarifying.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
DyeLorean

Fair enough!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #37
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Goku View Post
This is a bit off topic but when tih was in the campaigning stages the fight between abomination and hulk was said to be 26 minutes does anyone remember this? If so what happenile it was only like 10 if that
Yeah I do, that's why I was disappointed in the 8 minute fight scene we got in the actual film.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #38
DyeLorean

Someone later clarified that he meant a 26 minute final act, perhaps including Abomination vs the army. Who knows, ways to sell a movie I guess.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
dcHulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought LL rationalized the "mis-information" by stating that the 26 min was referring to the final act as a whole. Who knows for sure? I also vaguely remember someone saying that one of the scripts called for an intense fight scene in a mall, or something like that, that had to be cut out for budget concerns.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Funnily enough, the military facility/desert/San Francisco sequence in Ang Lee's Hulk lasted about 26 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I don't, I'm talking strictly the Pilot, which to me is still his finest work on the show (maybe put The Married Episodes too) and easily outclasses both film iterations IMO.

The Hyperbaric Chamber experiment in the Pilot alone shows a full range of emotions. The anticipation that he's on the right track, anger at Elaina not wanting to do it, frustration when it fails and ultimately the hope they instill in each other, punctuated by a touch separated by glass. I could feel his dire situation in that one scene more than anything in either feature film. And that's why the whole thing works, not Ferrigno. Not in the slightest. And a pure cgi creation without that emotional investment is even worse.
I agree with you on everything. I myself think the pilot (and yes, Married and Prometheus) is better than both Hulk recent movies. I cannot believe they haven't been able to make today with all that technology a truly thrilling, hair-rising, stunning metamorphosis like they did in the series with a camera, make-up, contact lenses, prothetics and smart editing.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #41
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

Was anyone satisfied with the hulk abomination fight at the end of tih?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I thought the fight itself was pretty good, I just wish there were more blows traded and I would've rather seen Hulk pummel Abomination into submission instead of choking him.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I thought the fight itself was pretty good, I just wish there were more blows traded and I would've rather seen Hulk pummel Abomination into submission instead of choking him.
More blows traded? I dunno man, those two beat the hell out of each other.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
djsunyc
Side-Kick

for once...i'd like to see banner running across the field to try and save rick jones...enough with this gamma experimentation on banner. enough with him sitting on that chair. let's do it how it was written.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
sabetoonth
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I would have liked to see a little more just punching each other, but Im still happy with how TIH had its end fight. But if it'd been a little longer I would not be complaining at all

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #46
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I think the scene that we got in TIH was pretty good. One of the best action scenes in a comic movie.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #47
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
The pacing of the battle was to slow for me. There weren't enough blows and there were almost no power punches exchanged (punches that knock people of there feet). They would hit each other like two or three times then stop. The combat portion of battle just wasn't that intense.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 03-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #48
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

The only power hit is when abomination hits hulk and he is flung into the building that was a powerful blow because hulk flew quickly into the building
This is kind of random but whenever hulk is depicted In fire or walking through it I always wonder how his hair doesn't burn I mean it doesn't regenerate does it and also has it ever been said if hulk can regenerate a limb?

Last edited by Anti Goku; 03-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #49
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm
Not in the top 25 for 77-78 (The Incredible Hulk #26)
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1978.htm
Not in the top 30 for 78-79
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1979.htm
Not in the top 30 for 79-80
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1980.htm
Not in the top 30 for 80-81
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1981.htm
Not in the top 30 for 81-82

I think comic fans think that show was a much bigger hit than it really was. I was the biggest Hulk fan going and I was excited about it too...until I saw it. It could not be termed a "hit"....it just managed to hang on long enough to get some faulty ideas about the character into the general consciousness.

I was just reading about that show....the TV producers wanted to make the Hulk red for a while! Oh my god...just how clueless were they? They called Banner "David" because they thought Bruce was "too gay sounding".

I can't take anything serious about that show.
Well still did better than the recent movies. Or comics. Wasn't the original Hulk series cancelled after only FIVE issues?

Now, Ken Johnson, creator and producer of the show, wanted the Hulk red because that made a lot more sense than green. After all, the whole reason for green was that the printing machine didn't print a good gray, so Stan Lee just picked up any color randomly.

And it's very well documenmted that the change of name was because theyt wanted to make a difference from the comics and Bruce Banner had the classic name alliteration that they wanted to avoid. But it's a mistake to think they changed Bruce to David. The name of the comics' character is Robert Bruce Banner, and in the series is David Bruce Banner.

And I didn't know it didn't make it to the top ten, nor did I care, but it got an Emmy for best actress in a sci fi series, which was not very common - if it had ever happened at all before - and it's still the main referent within the GA about the character. That's why Ang Lee and Leterrier kept things from it.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I thought the fight was decent enough. The problem was just that Blonsky was a weak villain. He didn't have a strong personality or screen presence or motivation.

Definitely the weakest of the main villains of the MCU films.

Closed Thread