Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #101
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post
I saw you the first time when you spoke of ratings...but that does not tell the entire story. The TV show has been in re-runs and spun of three more television movies since it was cancelled. If it didn't have a successful impact, then you'll have to explain your view.

Exactly.

Even if it was judged by the original pilot movie alone...Bill Bixby blows both Bana and Norton away.

It took me years to realize that to date the original television movie is my favorite Hulk film.
Such a GREAT film .
The idea that Banner was searching for the secret to Strength in Emergency Situations , Brilliant .
Susan Sullivan who was Bixbys co star in the 2hour pilot,
Has a part On Castle now ,
Playing Castles Mom,Martha Rogers on the show .

Last edited by Mysteryman; 03-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #102
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Just curious, is anyone thinking that shot of the green glow from Banner's hideout shack from the Cap: TFA teaser is just a manipulated fake out and that never happens in that scene?

- CM Punk
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #103
bonzob2000
Side-Kick

Yes, agreed. Seems like they didn't have any effects shots finished in time for that teaser, but they had a cool overhead shot of a bunch of SHIELD guys outside a shack, so they added a green glow to sort of indicate... "hey, the hulk's in that shack!" It looks like the exact same shot is shown in the latest trailer, only there's no glow anymore. And why would it be glowing green anyway? Hulk isn't lit from within or something. But who knows? Could be wrong.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #104
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Also remember the shot in the Predators trailer where Adrien Brody is lit up by bunches of the Predator shoulder cannon lasers? That was never in the movie but the shot is there except they faked all the multiple laser sights trained on Royce.

I think this is the same concept. They faked us out with that green glow from the hideout. Every indication is that there is no hulk out in this scene.

- CM Punk
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #105
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

Those buttcheeks

Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #106
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Also remember the shot in the Predators trailer where Adrien Brody is lit up by bunches of the Predator shoulder cannon lasers? That was never in the movie but the shot is there except they faked all the multiple laser sights trained on Royce.
I do remember that and I remember being annoyed when I left the theater and realized it wasn't in there. I hate that ****.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #107
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

From Joss Whedon's Latest Interview:

Quote:
"Do I think this is the ultimate Hulk movie?

I'm going to tell you I do,"
says Whedon. "I think what we've done with him is unprecedented and will blow people away." Speaking on Jade Giant's previous outings, Whedon says, "Those are not films I would have made. In the second one he got a [bit] of a ripped surfer look that didn't make sense to me"

Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #108
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
You're all about popularity? Then the TV show beat the comics back in the day.
All TV shows beat all comics in popularity. I'm talking about relative popularity. The Hulk TV was not a huge hit as it has been described. Obviously more people watched it than read any comic book. But relative to other TV shows, it was not as big a hit as the Hulk comic was relative to other comic books.
Quote:
It was Kenneth Johnson who made that decision. You watch the interview with Kenneth Johnson, not just one of the cast members who was not involved with any kind of decision there:

"I wanted it to not be comic booky in any way. One of the first things I changed was David Banner's name from Bruce Banner. Why? Because the Bruce Banner thing is like Lois Lane, peter Parker, it's all aliterative, all harked back to comic books roots and I was doing everything I could to get the show away from comic book root and that kid of feeling".

When getting the facts it's always better to go rioght to the source instead of secondhand hearsay.
Ferrigno was speaking about it in a very passionate way...I don't think it's something he made up in his head and then got upset about. Does he strike you as being that insane?

I hope you don't believe Johnson would be forthcoming about the decision being made because the name "Bruce" sounded too "gayish". There is no way he could admit that in public.
Quote:
He then talks about the Hulk's color and how little sense the green makes. And it certainly does, it was juyst a random decision. But it's a must because everyone's used to it and it's his visual identity. So Johnson kept the green color.

And well, you said that it was ridiculious to have a red Hulk. Don't they have red, gray, green and purple in comics? And a planet where he becomes a gladiator? And you can't take the TV show seriously? Heh.
So you think it would not be ridiculous to have a red Hulk? I'm curious about that.

How about one of these for Batman? They appeared in his book.

Quote:
No, it's that the show and its real-world feeling connected more to people than the comic books. That's all.
Every TV show is seen by more people than read comic books. More people watched the Batman TV show than read the comic too....would you want a Batman movie to use your logic there? Thank god the Spider-Man movies didn't follow the example of that horrible TV show (made by the same people who made the Hulk TV show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtTeacher View Post
In the late 70's, the name Bruce was probably the furthest thing from "gayish", since you had Bruce Lee, Bruce Springsteen, and Bruce Jenner all being huge popular stars.
I agree (especially since I'm such a hard-core Bruce Lee fan)...but that name did have that stigma for some reason.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=308654
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/u...5;t=000898;p=1
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2092416AAHoYP7
http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/io...hread,10712414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post
I saw you the first time when you spoke of ratings...but that does not tell the entire story. The TV show has been in re-runs and spun of three more television movies since it was cancelled. If it didn't have a successful impact, then you'll have to explain your view.
Oh I know about how the TV show managed to distort the Hulk's image in popular culture, but that version still did not resonate with the public enough to become a hit TV show. Similarly, the movie versions...taking cues from the TV version...did not become big hits either. (relatively speaking...making over $100 million domestic is a pretty big hit in other genres)

So that's why I scoff at any notion that the public is not interested in the Hulk character...he hasn't been put onscreen yet to find out. I think the public wants to like him...witness the huge opening weekend of Ang Lee's Hulk....and the fact that the Hulk is the character most people seem interested in for the Avengers trailers. If anyone ever actually makes the Hulk into an interesting character, it could do very well at the box office.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #109
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

I'm going to tell you I do," says Whedon. "I think what we've done with him is unprecedented and will blow people away." Speaking on Jade Giant's previous outings, Whedon says, "Those are not films I would have made. In the second one he got a [bit] of a ripped surfer look that didn't make sense to me"
I hope he also means the way the Hulk's character was portrayed as much as his look. Whedon strikes me as the type who knows how important character is though.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #110
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
I hope he also means the way the Hulk's character was portrayed as much as his look. Whedon strikes me as the type who knows how important character is though.
Indeed; based on what we've heard about the Character's take in the film so far, it seems like they're on the right direction.

The hulk is treated as an entirely separate entity from Banner, while being more intelligent and self conscious of himself than previous takes, and potentially has more dialogue and lines than the last two hulk films combined. And it appears that the Hulk may have more heroic characteristics than his film predecessors as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #111
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Sounds more and more like we are going to get Solid time for everyone in the film with a few like the Hulk getting to shine brighter than ever before. Exciting!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #112
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah there's more to Hulk than being angry and smashing things, I wish the ignorant ass GA would hurry up realize that already (lol).

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #113
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Quote:
Indeed; based on what we've heard about the Character's take in the film so far, it seems like they're on the right direction.

The hulk is treated as an entirely separate entity from Banner, while being more intelligent and self conscious of himself than previous takes, and potentially has more dialogue and lines than the last two hulk films combined. And it appears that the Hulk may have more heroic characteristics than his film predecessors as well.
I get the feeling that when Banner says "We're not a team, we're a time bomb" he's not referring to the Avengers...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #114
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
I get the feeling that when Banner says "We're not a team, we're a time bomb" he's not referring to the Avengers...
Gotta be....he in more control, to be talking about himself.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #115
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
He may be including himself in the mix...but I get the feeling Stark vs everyone and Thor vs Cap is a factor too. Whedon seems very interested in talking about how this team is dysfunctional.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #116
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Man, Whedon's really making me hyped for Hulk in this film. I sort of hopes he does a Hulk movie after this.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #117
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Sounds like we'll really get the best Hulk yet!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #118
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

It'd be awesome if whedon decided to team up with ruffalo and make tih2. But I think there are other directors suited for a great hulk film.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #119
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

off topic but is the hulk tv series still a go based on the avengers hulk? i haven't heard much news on it.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #120
Anti Goku
Side-Kick

The way hulk is being hyped in the avengers by whedon is all the more reason for another hulk movie

Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #121
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
It'd be awesome if whedon decided to team up with ruffalo and make tih2. But I think there are other directors suited for a great hulk film.
I don't trust any writer or directors with Hulk right now (out side of Whedon). The writers and directors that don't understand the comic book Hulk will either default back to using the TV series for inspiration (Louis Leterrier) or they will just make up a bunch of creative BS that doesn't match up with what the Hulk should be (Ang Lee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
off topic but is the hulk tv series still a go based on the avengers hulk? i haven't heard much news on it.
No idea

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 03-13-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #122
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I really want to see the Leader, but I feel like they should move onto other characters before giving Hulk a sequel.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #123
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Quote:
This is due to the fact he at least understands Hulk's appeal with the comic book audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post

Oh I know about how the TV show managed to distort the Hulk's image in popular culture, but that version still did not resonate with the public enough to become a hit TV show. Similarly, the movie versions...taking cues from the TV version...did not become big hits either. (relatively speaking...making over $100 million domestic is a pretty big hit in other genres)

So that's why I scoff at any notion that the public is not interested in the Hulk character...he hasn't been put onscreen yet to find out. I think the public wants to like him...witness the huge opening weekend of Ang Lee's Hulk....and the fact that the Hulk is the character most people seem interested in for the Avengers trailers. If anyone ever actually makes the Hulk into an interesting character, it could do very well at the box office.
Whether the television show distorted Hulk's comic book image with popular culture or not...the show still has a successful impact for a couple of generations giving the Hulk world wide exposure. The show worked for that time, but should not have influenced the big screen movie franchise, I agree. I've always maintained that Marvel and Hulk movie makers should reference the comic books instead of the television show and maybe...just maybe...a vocal Hulk with a personality and bad a$$ attitude would have won the crowd over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Goku View Post
The way hulk is being hyped in the avengers by whedon is all the more reason for another hulk movie
I will spread the word. This is why only directors and writers who have read and enjoyed comic book films should work on them. I understand directors wanting their vision, but not at the coast of an Abomination that turns out looking like crap...literally.

Last edited by Gamma Ra; 03-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #124
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I thought Abomination looked much more badass in TIH than he does in the comics, but that's just my opinion.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #125
sabetoonth
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I thought Abomination looked much more badass in TIH than he does in the comics, but that's just my opinion.
Yea, and to be honest, I think he made more sense in the context of how he became the Abomination, an exaggerated humanoid

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Closed Thread