Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #26
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
Both Snyder and Goyer said they weren't fit for Superman and didn't "get it". Guys, do you think they're actually involved in this production, or are merely public stand-ins?
Don't be silly. A director coming out and publicly saying something like that would be disastrous.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I didn't...I knew Singer didn't get Superman because of his obsession with the very flawed Donner movies, and I thought his X-Men movies were very underwhelming and poor.
Back in the day when Superman Returns was made I told people that Singer doesn't seem to get Superman because all he knows are the Donner movies. Then people complained and said "BUT HE READ WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW!! HE SAID IT!!!".

Well, people are so gullible, as long as it comes from a powerful and famous person. Unbelievable.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Singer’s miscalculation was this: he thought he had supplied a sufficient “action quotient” to go along with the dramatic elements he was interested in exploring – sufficient to ensure a good return on a big budget investment. He did not succeed. But those dramatic elements in SR stand on their own and work quite well. In terms of a compelling character analysis, Singer “got” Superman just fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Just went into town (I live in Leeds, England) and I saw a cool poster for Cold Light of Day on the side of a bus. Its out April 6th here cannot wait.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #30
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Just went into town (I live in Leeds, England) and I saw a cool poster for Cold Light of Day on the side of a bus. Its out April 6th here cannot wait.
Oh that's awesome I assumed the shift to September included us! I'm defo gonna go see it

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Oh that's awesome I assumed the shift to September included us! I'm defo gonna go see it
Where abouts in the UK do you live?

I was shocked when I saw it I was on another bus and I just sort of went of Henry Cavill WAIT WHAT? then I saw it properly and got abit excited.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Huh? I thought it was moved to September. This movie confuses the hell out of me. But this is good news for me, I was looking forward to seeing Cavill in a new role and now I won't have to wait until September. I've checked IMDB and these are the supposed release dates, worldwide:

Country Date

Belgium 4 April 2012
Spain 4 April 2012
Serbia 5 April 2012
Estonia 6 April 2012
Ireland 6 April 2012
UK 6 April 2012
Croatia 12 April 2012
Romania 13 April 2012
Hong Kong 19 April 2012
France 2 May 2012
Germany 3 May 2012
Norway 11 May 2012
Sweden 11 May 2012
Australia 31 May 2012
Netherlands 31 May 2012
Italy 18 July 2012
USA 7 September 2012

Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Singer’s miscalculation was this: he thought he had supplied a sufficient “action quotient” to go along with the dramatic elements he was interested in exploring – sufficient to ensure a good return on a big budget investment. He did not succeed. But those dramatic elements in SR stand on their own and work quite well. In terms of a compelling character analysis, Singer “got” Superman just fine.
I completely agree. I also liked that he was trying to explore a new scenario for Superman with the whole Jason angle. The beauty of the story is that Superman makes very human mistakes, reinforcing the fact that he's more than just an unbeatable God, while exploring the way Superman would deal with the repercussions. It's by no means perfectly executed, but I'm still of the opinion that it's just as strong as STM, which is no work of perfection either. CR > BR, no doubt though for me. I think BR has some great scenes as Superman, but he's just not a very natural actor. Some very weird pauses in places that don't feel like they belong, haha, especially as Clark.

Definitely looking forward to Cavill's take!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Just thought i'd share this, as it's since been deleted

Quote:
Where abouts in the UK do you live?

I was shocked when I saw it I was on another bus and I just sort of went of Henry Cavill WAIT WHAT? then I saw it properly and got abit excited.
I'm in Somerset

And yeah, anything with him in it gets me excited... though probably in a different way

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #35
Rockstar
Banned User

That group still exists?

Jebus..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #36
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I didn't...I knew Singer didn't get Superman because of his obsession with the very flawed Donner movies, and I thought his X-Men movies were very underwhelming and poor.
And of course, if it's not like the supposedly consistent portrayal of Superman from 1938 to 1986 then it's not Superman. He can be both a cocky, violent vigilante at one point and the pacifistic bastion of good later and it's all fine and dandy, but heaven forbid Krypton's visual appearance changes, then it's just a bastardization.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I'm in Somerset

And yeah, anything with him in it gets me excited... though probably in a different way
Ahh your abit further south than me

Yeah I like him as an actor only ha ha although I do have a little man crush on him he he

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #38
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dont think he'll ditch the glasses though. Just use it better, like elgaz suggested. Or not focus on it too much. Like mentioned, people just take it for granted.
My feeling is that if the director is openly ridiculing of the glasses, then I wouldn't expect to see them in the film. The fact that we haven't seen one photograph of Clark with them is not a particularly good sign.

It's sort of like a young director putting down Indiana Jones using a whip and indicating that his entire look is "silly" to a talk show host, then expecting to see that in his version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I know that's a bit extreme as a comparison, but it still holds. If the director finds some part of a hero's mythology to be incompatible with his vision, then he won't be using it. Now then, I hope that I'm wrong, so don't crucify me for pointing this out. But Snyder himself openly admitted after the release of Watchmen that he didn't really understand how Superman could work for a modern audience (i.e. he really did not get the character, period). So I'd expect that the filmmakers are planning on junking at least some parts of the Superman mythology. The glasses, as part of the secret identity or disguise (or perhaps even the secret identity itself), could be part of that. I also wouldn't place my hopes on the glasses making a surprise appearance at the end, either. My own feelings on whether Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder should have ever been chosen to make a new Superman movie put aside, that's what I'm gathering from it. From the viewpoint of the studio, they might have also felt that with SR, they tried a more traditional version of the character and it underperformed. So doing something "radical" in their view was necessary.

Again, just a hunch. And I'm really hoping that I'm wrong. But I think Snyder has just told you he's not using them.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I just don't think he was neccesarily openly ridiculing them in that interview though. He was demonstrating that it is common for other people to openly ridicule aspects of the character, LIKE the glasses as a disguise.

He even put on a funny voice like he was immitating the people who say those kinds of things.

*\S/T*
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Maybe Clark will wear a fake moustache and beard when he's at the planet, instead of the glasses

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just don't think he was neccesarily openly ridiculing them in that interview though. He was demonstrating that it is common for other people to openly ridicule aspects of the character, LIKE the glasses as a disguise.

He even put on a funny voice like he was immitating the people who say those kinds of things.
Yeah, you may be right -- and believe me, I'd like to be completely wrong.

I just want for Clark Kent to end up with glasses and a really great shirt rip to reveal the "S" in this movie. Is that too much for me to ask?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
GreenKToo
In the fire

I think that this Clark/Superman will not need a nerdy clark disguise yet because clark isn't in the public eye as a reporter.
Like someone else said, maybe toward the end he'll wear the glasses.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

If it's true that Clark doesn't actually get a job at the Daily Planet until the end, the last shot could be an epic remove glasses/shirt rip or something.

- Garrus

Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #44
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWhirlwind View Post
If it's true that Clark doesn't actually get a job at the Daily Planet until the end, the last shot could be an epic remove glasses/shirt rip or something.
Agreed; it could be done in a similar manner to how Magneto first donned his traditional costume at the very end of X:FC when he had accepted who he was entirely, or rather, found a direction in life to pursue.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #45
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Maybe Clark will wear a fake moustache and beard when he's at the planet, instead of the glasses

Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #46
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, at least now we know what it would have looked like if Burt Reynolds had played Superman.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #47
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Damn, that looks hot! So manly it's hard to take. SuperManuel!

But yeah, about the glasses. I think what Snyder was going for was that he might find that only a pair of glasses is a bit thin for such a disguise.
So I think he'll still use them, since they're part of the character, but that he'll go further with it, make it more believable. You can actually come along way with glasses alone, but you'd need something more.
I think the glasses gets put on in the final scenes and we'll see a Clark we almost wont recognize ourselves. That would really be a cool addition.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #48
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

Should not have scrolled down to this pic while I had a sip of tea in my mouth...

*\S/T*
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #49
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

That's how I read it and, to be fair, it has been one of the most oft ridiculed Superman staples for the average layperson over the years.

Snyder hasnt exactly said anything that is controversial or untrue.

Quote:
My God, it's Omni-Man

Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #50
The Morningstar
Banned User

I was just about to say that!

Closed Thread