Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Prime
Banned User

Default Re: The Story. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
What's C2E2?
Chicago comic&entertainment expo (April 13-15).

Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Prime
Banned User

edit: double post

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Chicago comic&entertainment expo (April 13-15).
Oh cool well I won't get my hopes up but fingers crossed.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Prime
Banned User

Yeah I really doubt anything MOS related would pop up at the C2E2.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Someone at AICN (yeah, I know) says he's heard something might happen very soon. Of course, regarding MOS soon could be a couple of months I guess.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I know I shouldn't trust the premise at this point, and shouldn't assume to know Goyer's work.

But we know Goyer praised Earth One, and the premise does say Clark becomes Superman after Earth is attacked. In EO, he does become Superman after Earth's attacked.

So can we assume were getting a EO type Supes in this movie? The premise also states Clark struggles with his place in the world, exactly like the EO Clark does. Seeing Clark with a beard in the Artic, kind of suggests he's there because he doesn't know what he wants in life, to me anyway. So at this point, it seems we're getting a Superman that's inspired by EO.

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #32
Prime
Banned User

I wouldn't want that. Earth One was OK for what it was but I don't like the characterization of Superman it presented or the way he becoame Superman. If any of the more recent origin stories is to be the inspiration (particularly for the characterization of CK/Supes) it should be Birthright and the new 52 (and yes I know MOS was written before the new 52, but I hope Goyer knows his golden age!). I don't know what Goyer said about Earth One but I do know he praised Secret Origin and Geoff Johns, which is kind of scary to me. And In one article (from Latino Review I think, about 2010 or so), they said Goyer would be taking Superman back to the John Byrne incarnation. I pray to whatever power in the cosmos that they were wrong and that ´´Kelex`` is the only thing he took from that or other such things that aren't of importance.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if MOS was based on all of these really. I haven't really seen anything to suggest that it's heavily influenced by one or another. When we know more the picture will become clearer.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #33
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
So can we assume were getting a EO type Supes in this movie? .
No.

For one thing, he seems to be much older in MOS and much manlier.

EO Superman was an emo manchild.

Besides, it was Secret Origin by Geoff Johns that he said he really drew inspiration from in terms of understanding Supes characterisation. He focused on the scene between Clark and Jonathon where he said 'I don't want to be different, I want to be your son', and he actually stated that one of the advantages he had over others who've tried to write a Superman film before is that he has access to alll of Geoff Johns stories (or something like that).

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #34
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
No.

For one thing, he seems to be much older in MOS and much manlier.

EO Superman was an emo manchild.

Besides, it was Secret Origin by Geoff Johns that he said he really drew inspiration from in terms of understanding Supes characterisation. He focused on the scene between Clark and Jonathon where he said 'I don't want to be different, I want to be your son', and he actually stated that one of the advantages he had over others who've tried to write a Superman film before is that he has access to alll of Geoff Johns stories (or something like that).
Indeed; if anything, I could imagine Clark first putting on the suit when the Alien Invasion comes, but I don't see Clark being hesitant on going out and saving people many times before either wearing the suit or Zod making his presence known.

If anything, Clark deciding to wear the suit may not be because he feels like he has to in order to combat against Zod, but because he feels that it's the next best step towards providing his world with hope.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #35
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

We already know that he'll be doing all sorts of super-feats prior to donning the suit.

He'll probably don the suit ultimately to let the world know as well as Zod, that there's a yin to Zod's yang and to become that symbol.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #36
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
We already know that he'll be doing all sorts of super-feats prior to donning the suit.

He'll probably don the suit ultimately to let the world know as well as Zod, that there's a yin to Zod's yang and to become that symbol.
Well, tbh, we can't be entirely certain of that.

I mean the only heroic acts that we have confirmed of him doing prior to his suit days is helping out during that tornado incident in SV and the oil rig explosion, and those look like they can be more of Clark just having been there at the right time than him having actively looked for trouble in order to fix it.

And in regards to Zod, I honestly wonder if Zod will start off as a antagonistic figure to Superman or if he may try to act more as a ally to him for his own means.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #37
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, tbh, we can't be entirely certain of that.

I mean the only heroic acts that we have confirmed of him doing prior to his suit days is helping out during that tornado incident in SV and the oil rig explosion, and those look like they can be more of Clark just having been there at the right time than him having actively looked for trouble in order to fix it.

And in regards to Zod, I honestly wonder if Zod will start off as a antagonistic figure to Superman or if he may try to act more as a ally to him for his own means.
But he'll still be "active" heroically and putting on the suit will make the character.

Zod will for sure try to win over Kal-El. It will come as a natural thing to him in wanting to change the planet for the "better". And when Kal-El refuses Zod will try to befriend Earth's military before Superman is revealed making it easier for Zod to turn everyone, including the military, against the alien man having hid amongst us for years.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #38
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
But he'll still be "active" heroically and putting on the suit will make the character.

Zod will for sure try to win over Kal-El. It will come as a natural thing to him in wanting to change the planet for the "better". And when Kal-El refuses Zod will try to befriend Earth's military before Superman is revealed making it easier for Zod to turn everyone, including the military, against the alien man having hid amongst us for years.
Oh no doubt about it and that's what I'm hoping to see.

Believe me, I have no desire on seeing a portrayal of Superman who feels like he's being "forced" to become a hero or that he's more reactive than proactive.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #39
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
TBH, I really hope we DON'T see Supes and Zod as allies first, or even have one of them attempt it.

It's just being overdone so much lately:

Spiderman 1 -Norman Osborne, Spiderman 2 -Doc Oc, Spiderman 3 - Harry Osborne, X-Men (particularly First Class) - Magneto, Thor - Loki, Batman Begins - Ra's al ghul/Ducard, The Dark Knight - Harvey Dent, Fantastic Four - Dr Doom, Watchmen - Ozymandias, not to mention pretty much every single villain on Smallville (Lex, Lionel, Brainiac, Doomsday, Zod)

It seems to me that the villains that are just villains and have no previous friendship with the hero, are actually the ones that stand ABOVE the rest for me (The Joker, The Red Skull and even ).

So i'm kind of hoping that while the character itself will be a bit more complicated that just 'I'm evil, I want to take over the world', that he's portrayed as a villain from the start (which looks hopeful considering we know he fights Jor-el). No attempt at friendship between Zod and Clark, please.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #40
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
TBH, I really hope we DON'T see Supes and Zod as allies first, or even have one of them attempt it.

It's just being overdone so much lately:

Spiderman 1 -Norman Osborne, Spiderman 2 -Doc Oc, Spiderman 3 - Harry Osborne, X-Men (particularly First Class) - Magneto, Thor - Loki, Batman Begins - Ra's al ghul/Ducard, The Dark Knight - Harvey Dent, Fantastic Four - Dr Doom, Watchmen - Ozymandias, not to mention pretty much every single villain on Smallville (Lex, Lionel, Brainiac, Doomsday, Zod)

It seems to me that the villains that are just villains and have no previous friendship with the hero, are actually the ones that stand ABOVE the rest for me (The Joker, The Red Skull and even ).

So i'm kind of hoping that while the character itself will be a bit more complicated that just 'I'm evil, I want to take over the world', that he's portrayed as a villain from the start (which looks hopeful considering we know he fights Jor-el). No attempt at friendship between Zod and Clark, please.
I can definitely understand on where you're coming from.

In regards to Zod's motivations, I could see a scenario where he could represent in a way to the audience on what Superman could become in the sense where a person, who started out with the best intentions, allowed themselves to be consumed by the very power that they had sworn to use righteously.

Maybe, Zod, with all of its problems at the time of his arrival, believes that he can save it from falling into decay like Krypton potentially did during its last days and tries to reform it under his image under the belief that he's doing it a favor instead.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #41
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Oh I definitely think he should represent what Superman would be without his upbringing and good morals.

And I don't mind Zod thinking his way of doing things is for the best in the long term. A villain can still be great like that... like Ozymandias.

I just don't want Clark and Zod to in any way resemble Proffessor X and Magneto. That dynamic of them having so much in common and being such good friends, but only disagreeing on how to deal with normal humans.

*\S/T*
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I doubt they'll be a friendship. From what we can gather, Zod doesn't appear til later on. Clark becomes Superman in order to fight him, from what can be gathered. We've seen over the years, that hero never sees the logic in the villain's motives for them to join. If Supes did, I would seriously walk out the theatre! Zod is cunning however, and could lie in which ever way to convince Supes to join. That would kind of be plausible, if he didn't anything about Krypton's history. All Superman could see, is Aliens have landed, he goes to confront them, Zod sees the costume, and tries to manipulate the situation. It would also be a bit naive to think Superman wouldn't be interested in befriending his fellow Kryptonian's.

Incidentally. I'm putting my money on Superman's costume being a uniform, that the Kryptonian soldiers wore during the war against Zod.
It would kind of be like El vs Zod round 2. The son of his rival battling yet again, for the interests of another planet.

I will be a bit disappointed if Zod isn't the one who stabs Jor-El. It would make more of a dramatic impact if Zod actually told Superman, he was responsible for his father's murder and the death of their entire race.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #43
Prime
Banned User

Quote:

*shivers*....Red Skull...I hope Zod is nothing like that. TBH, IMO of course, I hated The Red Skull in CA:TFA. He was a rather campy, one dimensional, poorly written villain. I have higher hopes than that for Zod.

That being said, I don't think Zod and Supes should be allies or friends, but they shouldn't start frying each other and smashing each other into buildings at the first sight of each other. I still wonder if the ´´Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer?`` line from the original synopsis is an indication of things concerning Zod or simply an unrelated catch phrase. If Zod is going to try and turn earth into New Krypton, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to recruit Superman as his soldier. And I wouldn't be surprised if at first meeting he tried to use his wits and deception to turn Superman to his side. Of course, Superman shouldn't consider it or ever befriend him, but still. Zod is a general and probably thinks it is Kal-El's duty to serve him and obey him.

Or they could be doing something totally different. Sometimes im tired of guessing and would just like to forget about the movie for a while. Impossible task I tell you!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #44
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

That's an interesting way to look at it. Zod goading Superman to be his soldier under the same pretence of saying
"I'm right and you're wrong. I know what's best for the planet. Now by following me, you'll be saving everyone and everything"

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #45
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
*shivers*....Red Skull...I hope Zod is nothing like that. TBH, IMO of course, I hated The Red Skull in CA:TFA. He was a rather campy, one dimensional, poorly written villain. I have higher hopes than that for Zod.
Meh, to each his own I loved it. Was pretty much exactly how I hoped Red Skull would be.

Quote:
That being said, I don't think Zod and Supes should be allies or friends, but they shouldn't start frying each other and smashing each other into buildings at the first sight of each other. I still wonder if the ´´Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer?`` line from the original synopsis is an indication of things concerning Zod or simply an unrelated catch phrase. If Zod is going to try and turn earth into New Krypton, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to recruit Superman as his soldier. And I wouldn't be surprised if at first meeting he tried to use his wits and deception to turn Superman to his side. Of course, Superman shouldn't consider it or ever befriend him, but still. Zod is a general and probably thinks it is Kal-El's duty to serve him and obey him.

Or they could be doing something totally different. Sometimes im tired of guessing and would just like to forget about the movie for a while. Impossible task I tell you!
I know... that's why I find certain peices of information being missing is driving me up the wall. Like confirmation of the glasses. Or any indication of what Zod and Faora 'want'.

I hate just assuming that they want to rule the planet. I'm sure there will be more too it than that, but guessing isn't working

Actually wasn't it rumoured a while back that they will have been on earth a while before revealing themselves. That they will know what the state of the world is, and not just be the ignorant 'is this planet Houston' aliens they were in the first films.

I liked that idea, and it seems to fit with a General who would be bound to spend time on recon and not just start blowing things up the minute he arrives for no reason, and with no assurity that he can't be killed by something on this planet.

*\S/T*
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I'm betting Zod wants whatever Jor-El fused into Kal-El's heart.

THE RECIPE TO THE GREATEST COOKIES MAMA-EL EVER MADE!!!

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Didn't Jor-El fuse the codex into the heart of the ship? Im not sure. Confusing call sheet is confusing.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #48
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

THE RECIPE TO THE GREATEST COOKIES MAMA-EL EVER MADE!!!
Bet they aren't as good as Mama Kents cookies!

Also, I cleared all this up back along. The site that gave the description of Jor-el fusing something into Kal-el's heart was reading it wrong. He fuses something into the SHIPS heart.

*\S/T*
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #49
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Didn't Jor-El fuse the codex into the heart of the ship? Im not sure. Confusing call sheet is confusing.

You got there first!

*\S/T*
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #50
Prime
Banned User

Quote:

Actually wasn't it rumoured a while back that they will have been on earth a while before revealing themselves. That they will know what the state of the world is, and not just be the ignorant 'is this planet Houston' aliens they were in the first films.

I liked that idea, and it seems to fit with a General who would be bound to spend time on recon and not just start blowing things up the minute he arrives for no reason, and with no assurity that he can't be killed by something on this planet.
I've read something like that. I think it was just fan speculation, could be wrong. But it wouldn't surprise me. I remember there being speculation they aren't at their full strength yet when they arrive and they have to adjust to the new powers and grow stronger. And yeah, I would expect Zod to gather information about our planet and observe what's going on and perhaps come to the conclusion we are destroying ourselves, or he sees earth heading into the same fate as Krypton and tries to secure it by putting it under his control, or..or..or maybe he just wants to show Kal-El a magic trick.