The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Default The Official Yakuza Thread

I don't understand why Sega doesn't just make an English subbed version of these games and release them simultaneously in the West. they would make so much money and they NEED it, considering this is playstation exclusive and i'm pretty sure sony ain't paying them to keep it that way.

I played Yakuza 3 and loved it, the gameplay was repetitive and besides character's faces the graphics were bland but the campaign was really really good. The campaign to Yk4 doesn't match up.

WHY sega WHYYYYY

oh, and Kazuma Kiryu should be in PSASBR2. hell he shoulda been in the first one.

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Yakuza 0 has been announced (I think) at TGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post

I don't understand why Sega doesn't just make an English subbed version of these games and release them simultaneously in the West. they would make so much money and they NEED it, considering this is playstation exclusive and i'm pretty sure sony ain't paying them to keep it that way.

I played Yakuza 3 and loved it, the gameplay was repetitive and besides character's faces the graphics were bland but the campaign was really really good. The campaign to Yk4 doesn't match up.

WHY sega WHYYYYY

oh, and Kazuma Kiryu should be in PSASBR2. hell he shoulda been in the first one.
It was actually announced last month but there was no thread here

It takes times to translate and localize a game and the Yakuza series has always been very text heavy. Its easy to see why they dont do simultaneous releases. If the game is good and ready, then there's no point in delaying it just so its released worldwide. They release it when its ready so they can make the money off of it as soon as possible. The Japanese sales likely help fund the localization process

And lets face it; Yakuza is not a major seller in the West. It does well enough that they continue to localize them, but they dont do huge numbers so I dont get this notion that they would make so much money off of them if there was a simultaneous release. People aren't not buying it bc it comes much after the Japanese release. Its a very Japanese centric title that appeals to a niche userbase

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
It was actually announced last month but there was no thread here
ok well good that I made this thread then
Quote:
It takes times to translate and localize a game and the Yakuza series has always been very text heavy. Its easy to see why they dont do simultaneous releases. If the game is good and ready, then there's no point in delaying it just so its released worldwide. They release it when its ready so they can make the money off of it as soon as possible. The Japanese sales likely help fund the localization process
of course it takes time that's why you get a ****in translator to sit next to you and do it all simultaneously! THAT can't be difficult and that's all you need.
Quote:
And lets face it; Yakuza is not a major seller in the West. It does well enough that they continue to localize them, but they dont do huge numbers so I dont get this notion that they would make so much money off of them if there was a simultaneous release. People aren't not buying it bc it comes much after the Japanese release. Its a very Japanese centric title that appeals to a niche userbase
it's not a major seller in the west for a couple of reasons, first because it comes out there so much later. whenever a AAA game comes out on one console/region first and then another one 6 months to a year later, interest in the game drops, so sales will drop as well. if the games had simultaneous releases, they would've indeed sold much more. hell that yakuza launch title for japan in ps4 might've made it more into a household name if it also launched simultaneously in the west.

it also doesn't sell well here coz people generally aren't interested in JRPGs, other than FFS, but I think that can hardly be considered a Jrpg, you know.

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

1. As Havok said, the Yakuza series is a very text heavy series and localization takes time. A simultaneous release is just impossible with the amount of work involved.

2. Sony doesn't pay Sega for exclusivity on the Yakuza series simply because it's a waste of time and effort to make the series multiplatform on the Xbox. Yakuza is a very Japanese centric series where the Xbox platform is non-existent.

3. Sega won't make a lot of money off of releasing these games in the West. Sales of the series have always been quite poor in North America and Europe and the costs of localization and marketing don't justify the series to continue getting releases in English speaking territories. It's why the last Western release is Yakuza 4 and future titles in the series are staying only in Japan.

4. I honestly don't get why Sega just doesn't drop the series.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
it's not a major seller in the west for a couple of reasons, first because it comes out there so much later. whenever a AAA game comes out on one console/region first and then another one 6 months to a year later, interest in the game drops, so sales will drop as well. if the games had simultaneous releases, they would've indeed sold much more. hell that yakuza launch title for japan in ps4 might've made it more into a household name if it also launched simultaneously in the west.

it also doesn't sell well here coz people generally aren't interested in JRPGs, other than FFS, but I think that can hardly be considered a Jrpg, you know.
Um no. Most FF games come out months to a year after Japan. Do you see them sell awful in the West? If there is interest in the game, it will sell regardless of when it comes out. Japan is almost in its own bubble. The games may come a year later, but that's almost irrelevant to people bc its still a new title in the West when its released. It would be a different story if it were released in the West on PC/Xbox for example and then ported to PS3 a year later, but that's not the case

You are right in that this series is not a JRPG, so I don't get the point of your final statement anyway

Last edited by Havok83; 09-23-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Um no. Most FF games come out months to a year after Japan. Do you see them sell awful in the West? If there is interest in the game, it will sell regardless of when it comes out. Japan is almost in its own bubble. The games may come a year later, but that's almost irrelevant to people bc its still a new title in the West when its released. It would be a different story if it were released in the West on PC/Xbox for example and then ported to PS3 a year later, but that's not the case

You are right in that this series is not a JRPG, so I don't get the point of your final statement anyway
FFS has a WAAAAY longer legacy than this series does. but you're right, those games are always blockbusters and yakuza isn't, really. but FFS has become a much more widely adopted and well known franchise overall. Yakuza started 2 generations ago and although in my opinion they are quality games, they never really made a name for themselves. unfortunately
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
1. As Havok said, the Yakuza series is a very text heavy series and localization takes time. A simultaneous release is just impossible with the amount of work involved.

2. Sony doesn't pay Sega for exclusivity on the Yakuza series simply because it's a waste of time and effort to make the series multiplatform on the Xbox. Yakuza is a very Japanese centric series where the Xbox platform is non-existent.

3. Sega won't make a lot of money off of releasing these games in the West. Sales of the series have always been quite poor in North America and Europe and the costs of localization and marketing don't justify the series to continue getting releases in English speaking territories. It's why the last Western release is Yakuza 4 and future titles in the series are staying only in Japan.

4. I honestly don't get why Sega just doesn't drop the series.
1. if they had a translator sitting right next to them while the japanese verison is in production, I really do not see what is so ****ing hard about it.

2. sony doesn't pay nobody for exclusives, coz they just don't think it is important to secure 'em. we saw that with all the Ps3 exclusives that were lost and sony was lucky that kojima (at the time) didn't think it was worth porting MGS4. tekken 6 flopped on 360 and FFS13 sold almost twice as much on Ps3 than 360 during launch, and those games are also largely popular in japan, planned Ps3 exlusives that ended up going multiplatform.

3. Eh, I bet Yakuza Restoration would do fair numbers since a lot of the complaints about Ps4 is the lack of exclusive games. And the Ps4 does have a fairly high attach rate so far, you know

4. that kinda pisses me off these are good games man. I mean they're not perfect, but Yakuza 3, the one I played, it was very repetitive and annoying but the campaign was great. The characters were great... why would Sony give it up?!

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
1. if they had a translator sitting right next to them while the japanese verison is in production, I really do not see what is so ****ing hard about it.
Again, that takes time and effort and most of all money. And when you're making a game, localization is not the most important aspect of a game, making a high quality game is the most important aspect.

Quote:
2. sony doesn't pay nobody for exclusives, coz they just don't think it is important to secure 'em. we saw that with all the Ps3 exclusives that were lost and sony was lucky that kojima (at the time) didn't think it was worth porting MGS4. tekken 6 flopped on 360 and FFS13 sold almost twice as much on Ps3 than 360 during launch, and those games are also largely popular in japan, planned Ps3 exlusives that ended up going multiplatform.
But Sony doesn't have to pay Sega at all simply because an Xbox version of Yakuza would lose money. Sega will never waste the money to do it, and Sony never has to fear about the series going multiplatform.

I wouldn't call Tekken 6's performance on the Xbox 360 to be a flop, it sold over one million copies for a game in a genre where budgets are much better controlled than most AAA games.

Also, the reason why Final Fantasy XIII sold much more on the PlayStation 3 than the Xbox 360 version is simply because the Xbox platform is nonexistent in Japan and PlayStation is a much bigger brand in Europe than Xbox. But in North America, the most important gaming market, all three Final Fantasy XIII games on the Xbox 360 sold rather respectably in comparison to the PlayStation 3 versions.

Going multiplatform just makes business sense. Making games exclusive just don't add up anymore.

Quote:
3. Eh, I bet Yakuza Restoration would do fair numbers since a lot of the complaints about Ps4 is the lack of exclusive games. And the Ps4 does have a fairly high attach rate so far, you know
In Japan the game will do alright numbers, but outside of Japan, the game will flop. There are costs related to localization, there are costs related to marketing, and brick & mortar stores aren't going to want to carry a game that will not sell well long enough for the game to make the money back.

And there is no basis to think that it would do fair numbers in North America and Europe despite the high attach rate for PlayStation 4 gamers. The Yakuza games have never done well outside of Japan. Never. Yakuza 3 did the best with less than 200,000 sold in North America and Europe each, but that is a poor performance in today's video game industry.

This isn't like Xenoblade Chronicles where not releasing the game in North America made no sense at all simply because there already was an English version. The costs associated with bringing it outside of Japan just aren't worth it.

The only way I can see Yakuza ever gaining any traction is if Sony takes up marketing and development costs of the game, which I don't see happening.

Quote:
4. that kinda pisses me off these are good games man. I mean they're not perfect, but Yakuza 3, the one I played, it was very repetitive and annoying but the campaign was great. The characters were great...
I'm not criticizing the quality of the games. I'm talking about in purely detached business terms. The series sells so poorly that it's not even worth it for Sega to release the games in the North American and European markets.

And it's also problematic for the series to be a Japanese only release. The Japanese market has evolved to the point where the console is becoming irrelevant in favor of handheld and mobile games due to Japan's actively mobile lifestyle. The latest release sold less than 500,000 copies for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Those just aren't good numbers.

From a business perspective, it's time to put the series to rest and like Square-Enix, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai, Sega needs to focus more on the more lucrative North American and European console markets than the dying Japanese one. That means more Western style games from Sega like Football Manager and Alien: Isolation and less Yakuza.

Quote:
why would Sony give it up?!
Sony doesn't own the IP, thus Sony has no real true interest in the series. It isn't a system seller the way Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, and Metal Gear Solid were. It really doesn't generate a lot of buzz. And they don't sell very well.

Also, all publishers tend to give up on IPs that just don't work. Sony has done it. Microsoft does it. Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, etc. all do it.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Havok83
Side-Kick

Considering how poorly it does, its crazy to think that the announcement of this game brings the series count up to 10. Meanwhile, Sega sits on Shenmue, its other Japanese centric game which actually had a following in the West and continues to get requests for a revival

Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Considering how poorly it does, its crazy to think that the announcement of this game brings the series count up to 10. Meanwhile, Sega sits on Shenmue, its other Japanese centric game which actually had a following in the West and continues to get requests for a revival
Because Shenmue II was a freaking sales disaster. I think before investing in returning to the Shenmue series, Sega should test the waters a bit and re-release the first two games as HD remasters on the current consoles and see if there is a genuine following to ensure that a Shenmue III would be worth the effort.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because Shenmue II was a freaking sales disaster. I think before investing in returning to the Shenmue series, Sega should test the waters a bit and re-release the first two games as HD remasters on the current consoles and see if there is a genuine following to ensure that a Shenmue III would be worth the effort.
I thought game actually did decent in Japan on the Dreamcast. It bombed in the West partly due to Sega's distribution choice. Instead of releasing it on the DC in NA, they made it exclusive to the Xbox, which was a new console. They released the DC in EU but without a English dub and it would be a year and a half till that came in the form of the Xbox. I think it would have been better had they gone with the PS2 which obviously was more popular

But my point still remains. Alot of people arent expecting SM3 but at the very least, HD remasters of the old games. Sega doesnt seem to be budging on those, which is odd especially since they were rumored to have been done just not released

Last edited by Havok83; 09-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Again, that takes time and effort and most of all money. And when you're making a game, localization is not the most important aspect of a game, making a high quality game is the most important aspect.
Honestly man there's no ****ing way that I can see it being a cost, one that's so substantial that they rule out simultaneous WW releases. other popular Japanese games have done it. deadass even now with playstation being more popular, there's more of a reason to localize. but in the end I have to admit you're probably right, it wouldn't do the numbers they'd want.

Quote:
But Sony doesn't have to pay Sega at all simply because an Xbox version of Yakuza would lose money. Sega will never waste the money to do it, and Sony never has to fear about the series going multiplatform.

I wouldn't call Tekken 6's performance on the Xbox 360 to be a flop, it sold over one million copies for a game in a genre where budgets are much better controlled than most AAA games.

Also, the reason why Final Fantasy XIII sold much more on the PlayStation 3 than the Xbox 360 version is simply because the Xbox platform is nonexistent in Japan and PlayStation is a much bigger brand in Europe than Xbox. But in North America, the most important gaming market, all three Final Fantasy XIII games on the Xbox 360 sold rather respectably in comparison to the PlayStation 3 versions.

Going multiplatform just makes business sense. Making games exclusive just don't add up anymore.
They'd lose money by making ports? Dunno about that man. They wouldn't sell as well but more copies are more copies yeah? And the series has on multiplatform, but flopped really hard on the platform they jumped ship on.

And if you're going by vgchartz T6 numbers, I don't buy it. You'd have to show me a source outside of them for me to believe they sold a million copies of T6 on 360. It made the greatest hits for Ps3 but not platinum hits for 360.

And I think FFXIII sold better on Ps3 was because for the longest time it was exclusive until suddenly announced multiplatform. But yeah, FFS in general is a bigger name than Tekken so it's no surprise that it sold millions, hell I wouldn't be surprised if the lifetime sales matched the Ps3's
Quote:
In Japan the game will do alright numbers, but outside of Japan, the game will flop. There are costs related to localization, there are costs related to marketing, and brick & mortar stores aren't going to want to carry a game that will not sell well long enough for the game to make the money back.

And there is no basis to think that it would do fair numbers in North America and Europe despite the high attach rate for PlayStation 4 gamers. The Yakuza games have never done well outside of Japan. Never. Yakuza 3 did the best with less than 200,000 sold in North America and Europe each, but that is a poor performance in today's video game industry.

This isn't like Xenoblade Chronicles where not releasing the game in North America made no sense at all simply because there already was an English version. The costs associated with bringing it outside of Japan just aren't worth it.

The only way I can see Yakuza ever gaining any traction is if Sony takes up marketing and development costs of the game, which I don't see happening.
I was talking about Yakuza Restoration, that game was a launch title for the Ps4 in Japan and it sold okay, for its standards I guess. Ps3 and Ps4 combined, somewhere around 400,000. It usually does higher than that but this one was a spinoff, maybe that's why it did less, you know.

are you still using vgchartz? not that the actual numbers will be that far off but come on man, I know it's mostly all we have as a source but we can't keep resorting to that...it's wrong, you know?

also while it isn't completely relevant, ISS sold a million copies faster than any other game in the series, and this is also a Ps4 exclusive. This series hasn't always been the most popular in general on playstation but look at the Ps4 game's numbers... their better... this is also the reason why I think Uc4 will sell way better than ITS predecessors, you know

and that also gives me reason to believe that yakuza would sell better this gen than last. no guarantee though, you got me on that, you made some points that I cannot ignore
Quote:
I'm not criticizing the quality of the games. I'm talking about in purely detached business terms. The series sells so poorly that it's not even worth it for Sega to release the games in the North American and European markets.

And it's also problematic for the series to be a Japanese only release. The Japanese market has evolved to the point where the console is becoming irrelevant in favor of handheld and mobile games due to Japan's actively mobile lifestyle. The latest release sold less than 500,000 copies for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Those just aren't good numbers.

From a business perspective, it's time to put the series to rest and like Square-Enix, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai, Sega needs to focus more on the more lucrative North American and European console markets than the dying Japanese one. That means more Western style games from Sega like Football Manager and Alien: Isolation and less Yakuza.
perhaps then this franchise means something to sega & they hold some sort of weird sentimental value to it, and don't wanna let it go. or, perhaps the sales it gets in japan actually brings them decent profit. who knows. I'd rather them not stop makin em though, just coz I like em a lot, you know. And yes, restoration sold less than 500,000 but hey, maybe the numbers they did get satisfied them, hence they started making the next one, you know
Quote:
Sony doesn't own the IP, thus Sony has no real true interest in the series. It isn't a system seller the way Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, and Metal Gear Solid were. It really doesn't generate a lot of buzz. And they don't sell very well.
my bad, I meant to say sega, not sony.

and although it is not a system seller, it is a 3rd party exclusive that is somewhat synonymous with playstation, just like tekken largely was before going multiplatform.
Quote:
Also, all publishers tend to give up on IPs that just don't work. Sony has done it. Microsoft does it. Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, etc. all do it.
OK, well let's see then if they let it go or not. they just announced this though so I don't think it'll be going anytime soon

unless this is meant to be the last one, could be you know

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Honestly man there's no ****ing way that I can see it being a cost, one that's so substantial that they rule out simultaneous WW releases. other popular Japanese games have done it. deadass even now with playstation being more popular, there's more of a reason to localize. but in the end I have to admit you're probably right, it wouldn't do the numbers they'd want.
Popular as in ones that actually sell well? Yeah, Yakuza has never been that in the West. I bet said games had a higher budget. And again you are dismissing that the Japanese sales help fund the localization process in other territories.

Quote:
They'd lose money by making ports? Dunno about that man. They wouldn't sell as well but more copies are more copies yeah? And the series has on multiplatform, but flopped really hard on the platform they jumped ship on.
No, bc it cost money to port games. If they cant make that money back in sales, then they lose money. Its that simple. Japan is the biggest market for Yakuza and the 360 has zero presence. Its not worth porting, especially when the rest of the world doesn't care for the series that much.

Quote:
and although it is not a system seller, it is a 3rd party exclusive that is somewhat synonymous with playstation, just like tekken largely was before going multiplatform.
No it really isn't. When people think of the PlayStation brand, the vast majority don't have Yakuza come to mind. If you believe otherwise, you are in a VERY small minority

Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Popular as in ones that actually sell well? Yeah, Yakuza has never been that in the West. I bet said games had a higher budget. And again you are dismissing that the Japanese sales help fund the localization process in other territories.
what i'm saying is, if the game was marketed nicely enough, and had a simultaneous release now on the Ps4, the numbers would be okay. but yeah I ain't saying they've been selling well so far.
Quote:
No, bc it cost money to port games. If they cant make that money back in sales, then they lose money. Its that simple. Japan is the biggest market for Yakuza and the 360 has zero presence. Its not worth porting, especially when the rest of the world doesn't care for the series that much.
OK, you got me
Quote:
No it really isn't. When people think of the PlayStation brand, the vast majority don't have Yakuza come to mind. If you believe otherwise, you are in a VERY small minority
OK, well maybe just in Japan then. But tekken definitely was. you can't ****in deny that.

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
This just in, localization costs money. You have to pay people to localize a game. Other Japanese games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, and Metal Gear get localized because they have viable audiences for those games in the West. Because of this, they make easily make up the localization costs. Not only that, but you're not adding in things like marketing/promotional costs, whether or not retailers even want to carry the game, etc.

This is not a situation like Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, and the Last Story where there were already English versions in existence and Nintendo created limited releases and handed them off to other publishers that specialize in such games. This is not a situation like Bayonetta 2 where a console manufacturer is taking up the development costs. This is a situation where Sega will have to put up money for a product that will not make money.

Quote:
They'd lose money by making ports? Dunno about that man. They wouldn't sell as well but more copies are more copies yeah?
Ports cost money. When the audience of a particular platform aren't buying the games, the ports will lose money. It's why Ubisoft stopped making multiplatform games for the Wii U and why we see many Japanese games remain exclusive to the PlayStation due to the non-existence of the Xbox brand.

Quote:
And the series has on multiplatform, but flopped really hard on the platform they jumped ship on.

And if you're going by vgchartz T6 numbers, I don't buy it. You'd have to show me a source outside of them for me to believe they sold a million copies of T6 on 360. It made the greatest hits for Ps3 but not platinum hits for 360.
VGChartz uses actual data to compile their numbers. For much older data for games such as Tekken 6, they aren't pulling the numbers out of their ass.

Quote:
And I think FFXIII sold better on Ps3 was because for the longest time it was exclusive until suddenly announced multiplatform. But yeah, FFS in general is a bigger name than Tekken so it's no surprise that it sold millions, hell I wouldn't be surprised if the lifetime sales matched the Ps3's
No, Final Fantasy XIII sold much more on the PlayStation 3 simply because of how the console market is defined in Japan and Europe than some bizarre form of brand loyalty.

In Japan, the biggest market for Final Fantasy, Square-Enix didn't even bother to release an Xbox 360 version until a year after the game came out already as the International Version. When the Xbox brand is almost nonexistent in Japan on top of releasing it a year after the PlayStation 3 version, the PlayStation 3 version is obviously going sell much more.

In non-English speaking territories, the PlayStation brand is the bigger brand than the Xbox brand. Multiplatform games in general are going to sell better on the PlayStation than the Xbox in non-English speaking territories.

Then there are also tastes associated with the consoles. Fans of JRPGs, are typically going to go with the PlayStation brand. Because the Xbox brand is nonexistent in Japan, developers of JRPGs like Tales, Star Ocean, Drakengard, Persona, Ni no Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles, etc., they aren't going to waste the time making these games for the Xbox platform. As a result, fans of JRPGs have no choice but to buy PlayStations.

Quote:
I was talking about Yakuza Restoration, that game was a launch title for the Ps4 in Japan and it sold okay, for its standards I guess. Ps3 and Ps4 combined, somewhere around 400,000. It usually does higher than that but this one was a spinoff, maybe that's why it did less, you know.
Being a spin-off probably had something to do with the lower sales, but the series has been experiencing declining sales with almost each installment since Yakuza 3. There is no reason to think that future installments will buck the trend without a significant change in how Sega treats the series.

Quote:
are you still using vgchartz? not that the actual numbers will be that far off but come on man, I know it's mostly all we have as a source but we can't keep resorting to that...it's wrong, you know?
VGChartz is a lot like IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo. You shouldn't use them for relatively recent data as a source because recent data is still in flux, at best they are guidelines to form a basis off of and nothing else. Yakuza Restoration is the perfect example of not relying too much on VGChartz for.

But for older games, just like IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo for films, it's a very reliable source because they do indeed update their data to more accurately reflect the data presented by NPD, Media Create, Chart-Track, GfK, etc.

Quote:
also while it isn't completely relevant, ISS sold a million copies faster than any other game in the series, and this is also a Ps4 exclusive. This series hasn't always been the most popular in general on playstation but look at the Ps4 game's numbers... their better... this is also the reason why I think Uc4 will sell way better than ITS predecessors, you know

and that also gives me reason to believe that yakuza would sell better this gen than last. no guarantee though, you got me on that, you made some points that I cannot ignore
inFamous: Second Son was given a much better promotional budget and benefited from releasing during the PlayStation 4's launch window. It's situation is not at all comparable to the Yakuza situation.

Quote:
perhaps then this franchise means something to sega & they hold some sort of weird sentimental value to it, and don't wanna let it go. or, perhaps the sales it gets in japan actually brings them decent profit. who knows. I'd rather them not stop makin em though, just coz I like em a lot, you know. And yes, restoration sold less than 500,000 but hey, maybe the numbers they did get satisfied them, hence they started making the next one, you know
Unless they do a phenomenal job at controlling the budgets the way Guerrilla Games and Insomniac Games do, I don't see how Sega is making a profit off of this series. In today's day and age, with the way budgets have increased, publishers need to at least sell one million copies of a game. And based on Sega's latest numbers, controlling the budget to such a degree isn't happening.

And add in the fact that consoles are on the downturn in Japan which doesn't bode well for Yakuza either.

Quote:
my bad, I meant to say sega, not sony.

Except Tekken actually sold systems at one time.

Quote:
OK, well let's see then if they let it go or not. they just announced this though so I don't think it'll be going anytime soon

unless this is meant to be the last one, could be you know
If the sales decline continues with this iteration, without a significant overhaul in how the series is treated, I think Yakuza 0 is going to be the last game in the series for Sega.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
This just in, localization costs money. You have to pay people to localize a game. Other Japanese games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, and Metal Gear get localized because they have viable audiences for those games in the West. Because of this, they make easily make up the localization costs. Not only that, but you're not adding in things like marketing/promotional costs, whether or not retailers even want to carry the game, etc.
I'm not denying that the game costs money man I'm saying I don't see it as such a substantial cost that they have to ****ing rule it out completely. Yes I see what you're saying about how Yakuza doesn't really have a fanbase now in the states but with the launch of the Ps4 and with proper advertisement it could've actually had a chance of doing higher numbers.
Quote:
This is not a situation like Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, and the Last Story where there were already English versions in existence and Nintendo created limited releases and handed them off to other publishers that specialize in such games. This is not a situation like Bayonetta 2 where a console manufacturer is taking up the development costs. This is a situation where Sega will have to put up money for a product that will not make money.
OK, I got nothing to say here

Quote:
Ports cost money. When the audience of a particular platform aren't buying the games, the ports will lose money. It's why Ubisoft stopped making multiplatform games for the Wii U and why we see many Japanese games remain exclusive to the PlayStation due to the non-existence of the Xbox brand.
I'm not denying this either, but... I don't what to say to you either

Quote:
VGChartz uses actual data to compile their numbers. For much older data for games such as Tekken 6, they aren't pulling the numbers out of their ass.
if this is true then why is vgchartz the only place to find these old numbers? if they're getting numbers from old data then we should have access to this date also to be able to see for ourselves. again, Tekken 6 made the greatest hits for Ps3 but not the platinum hits for 360. and TTT2 did even worse on both consoles.
Quote:
No, Final Fantasy XIII sold much more on the PlayStation 3 simply because of how the console market is defined in Japan and Europe than some bizarre form of brand loyalty.
Well I think it also has to do with them announcing it being multiplatform 2 years after the game was announced, honestly. That definitely had something to do with it.
Quote:
In Japan, the biggest market for Final Fantasy, Square-Enix didn't even bother to release an Xbox 360 version until a year after the game came out already as the International Version. When the Xbox brand is almost nonexistent in Japan on top of releasing it a year after the PlayStation 3 version, the PlayStation 3 version is obviously going sell much more.
what was even the point of releasing the 360 version of it in Japan a year later? if they were going to release it there at all it should've been simultaneous; I bet it flopped ****ing hard
Quote:
In non-English speaking territories, the PlayStation brand is the bigger brand than the Xbox brand. Multiplatform games in general are going to sell better on the PlayStation than the Xbox in non-English speaking territories.

Then there are also tastes associated with the consoles. Fans of JRPGs, are typically going to go with the PlayStation brand. Because the Xbox brand is nonexistent in Japan, developers of JRPGs like Tales, Star Ocean, Drakengard, Persona, Ni no Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles, etc., they aren't going to waste the time making these games for the Xbox platform. As a result, fans of JRPGs have no choice but to buy PlayStations.
i don't think gaming is very big outside of japan, europe, and america in general. you don't really hear much about what goes on with gaming elsewhere so it isn't completely relevant in my opinion.
Quote:
Being a spin-off probably had something to do with the lower sales, but the series has been experiencing declining sales with almost each installment since Yakuza 3. There is no reason to think that future installments will buck the trend without a significant change in how Sega treats the series.
how sega treats the series? they sure airen't giving up on it, that's for sure.
Quote:
VGChartz is a lot like IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo. You shouldn't use them for relatively recent data as a source because recent data is still in flux, at best they are guidelines to form a basis off of and nothing else. Yakuza Restoration is the perfect example of not relying too much on VGChartz for.

But for older games, just like IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo for films, it's a very reliable source because they do indeed update their data to more accurately reflect the data presented by NPD, Media Create, Chart-Track, GfK, etc.
but people use boxofficemojo for opening weekends. it is considered reliable, and not seen in the same light as vgchartz. if they are reliable for old games then we should be able to see those numbers elsewhere outside of their database.
Quote:
inFamous: Second Son was given a much better promotional budget and benefited from releasing during the PlayStation 4's launch window. It's situation is not at all comparable to the Yakuza situation.
who's to say yakuza restoration wouldn't have sold better than usual with better promotion?

Quote:
Unless they do a phenomenal job at controlling the budgets the way Guerrilla Games and Insomniac Games do, I don't see how Sega is making a profit off of this series. In today's day and age, with the way budgets have increased, publishers need to at least sell one million copies of a game. And based on Sega's latest numbers, controlling the budget to such a degree isn't happening.
I don't think a single one of these games have cracked the million mark, but they still make them. i don't know what that means but it's got to mean something.
Quote:
And add in the fact that consoles are on the downturn in Japan which doesn't bode well for Yakuza either.
yeah. you right

Quote:
Except Tekken actually sold systems at one time.
not one time, several times. last one being T6. I remember a whole bunch of people (including myself) who bought a Ps3 for it....long before it was announced multiplatform
Quote:
If the sales decline continues with this iteration, without a significant overhaul in how the series is treated, I think Yakuza 0 is going to be the last game in the series for Sega.
to be quite honest I think this might be the last one too, which is unfortunate but all the more reason to localize it, you know

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
not one time, several times. last one being T6. I remember a whole bunch of people (including myself) who bought a Ps3 for it....long before it was announced multiplatform

to be quite honest I think this might be the last one too, which is unfortunate but all the more reason to localize it, you know
Which I don't get why it mattered to you. Did you hate your PS3? Did you regret getting it? Had you known Tekken was coming to the 360, would you not have purchased a PS3 in favor of getting that game on the 360?

Last edited by Havok83; 09-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not denying that the game costs money man I'm saying I don't see it as such a substantial cost that they have to ****ing rule it out completely. Yes I see what you're saying about how Yakuza doesn't really have a fanbase now in the states
Localization for extremely niche titles is a tricky business. Sometimes a publisher will just give the title away to another publisher like what Sony did with Demon's Souls to Atlus and what Nintendo did with the Last Story to XSeed. But localization costs money. A publisher has to make sure that it's a good translation because in today's day and age, something like "I feel asleep," and "All your base are belong to us," aren't acceptable in today's day and age. Minor changes have to be made to the game to reflect the market that the game is being sold in like getting rid of swastikas in Germany or reducing the violence in Australia. They also now have to take up marketing, ensuring that the product meets quality standards, get the games rated in each of the territories they're being released in, etc. All of these moves cost time, effort, and money.

Quote:
but with the launch of the Ps4 and with proper advertisement it could've actually had a chance of doing higher numbers.
There is no real basis to think that though. With the PlayStation 4 launch, most of the effort was focused on Sony's IPs like Killzone and inFamous, major AAA third party games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed, and sports titles. There is just no room for a game like Yakuza to fit into a tightly packed launch line-up.

And with the numbers that the series has posted, it just isn't worth giving it a massive advertising push. The only way I can see it getting a needed boost in advertisement is if Sony is willing to pony up some cash, but I don't see them doing that for a series like Yakuza when there are other games like Destiny to promote for Sony.

Quote:
I'm not denying this either, but... I don't what to say to you either
Even if costs are low, if a company isn't going to get a return on its investment, it isn't worth it. For example, Wii U ports only cost about $1 million, something that should be easy considering that marketing would be included with the other versions. But more and more companies just aren't developing for the Wii U simply because even though its cheap, they still aren't getting returns on their investments.

To sum up everything I have said up to this point, gamers need to drop this attitude that these video game companies owe them something. Sure criticism is deserved when you have companies like Capcom pulling some BS moves like they've done with their DLC or EA for the way they treated the Wii U for the most petty reasons. But when a company is genuinely trying like Sega did with Yakuza in the West, you can't blame them for giving up when it just doesn't work. They're for profit companies, not service providers.

Quote:
if this is true then why is vgchartz the only place to find these old numbers? if they're getting numbers from old data then we should have access to this date also to be able to see for ourselves.
It's not that VGChartz is the only place to find the data, they just make it easier to find.

Quote:
again, Tekken 6 made the greatest hits for Ps3 but not the platinum hits for 360. and TTT2 did even worse on both consoles.
Tekken 6 did get the Platinum Collection label for the Japanese version of the Xbox 360 port. Also you have to take into account that the PlayStation's Greatest Hits label, is much bigger than the Xbox's Platinum label.

Quote:
Well I think it also has to do with them announcing it being multiplatform 2 years after the game was announced, honestly. That definitely had something to do with it.
Not at all. The announcement means nothing if the games are released simultaneously on both platforms.

Quote:
what was even the point of releasing the 360 version of it in Japan a year later? if they were going to release it there at all it should've been simultaneous; I bet it flopped ****ing hard
It did flop hard for two big reasons:
1. Almost no one bought an Xbox 360 in Japan.
2. They released it a year later in Japan, releasing games after such a long period from the initial release always hurts the new version because it just doesn't have the hype attached to it anymore. Look at how well the first BioShock game did on the PlayStation 3 (poorly), Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360 in Japan (poorly), and I don't have a lot of hope for Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PlayStation 4.

You're absolutely right in that there was no point in even bothering with a Japanese version of the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII. It was a dumb move on Square-Enix's part.

Quote:
i don't think gaming is very big outside of japan, europe, and america in general. you don't really hear much about what goes on with gaming elsewhere so it isn't completely relevant in my opinion.
Are you kidding me? Markets like Australia, South Korea, China, etc. all have strong video game markets. India is seeing as a major target for publishers in the near future.

Quote:
how sega treats the series? they sure airen't giving up on it, that's for sure.
They haven't given up on it, but they certainly are scaling back on it considering that they don't even bother localizing the games anymore.

Quote:
but people use boxofficemojo for opening weekends. it is considered reliable, and not seen in the same light as vgchartz. if they are reliable for old games then we should be able to see those numbers elsewhere outside of their database.
Boxofficemojo is good for opening weekends after they release the data, not as the weekend is going on.

Quote:
who's to say yakuza restoration wouldn't have sold better than usual with better promotion?
Basic logic of the declining console market in Japan, the fact that it's a spin-off, increasing competition, etc.

Quote:
I don't think a single one of these games have cracked the million mark, but they still make them. i don't know what that means but it's got to mean something.
During the PlayStation 2 era, a video game can get away without selling over a million copies, but in today's era with budgets getting higher and higher, video games need to sell more than they needed to in the past.

Taking into account of budgets getting higher on top of a declining Japanese console market, the future of this series just isn't very bright after Yakuza 0.

Quote:
Before the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 era, Tekken was a system seller for the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Today, it isn't. Even if Tekken remained a PlayStation exclusive, it would not be a system seller. Gaming tastes have changed where the fighting and JRPG genres aren't system sellers anymore. Shooters, Western RPGs, and high-end platformers are what sell consoles now.

Quote:
It's not all the more reason to localize it. If anything it's less of a reason to localize it.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Which I don't get why it mattered to you. Did you hate your PS3? Did you regret getting it? Had you known Tekken was coming to the 360, would you not have purchased a PS3 in favor of getting that game on the 360?
Ok this next part I'm probably gonna sound like a fanboy but fine, I'll tell it like it is.

I grew up playing a whole lot of Tekken. It was MY Halo, in the sense that it was that game on my PlayStation, my friends & people probably knew Tekken for me, just in the same way as every Xbox gamer has Halo as their franchise. Tekken has always been seen as a playstation franchise even though it is 3rd pary. most of the popular 1st party titles on playstation nowadays started either last generation or on Ps2; Tekken has been there since Ps1. something like 15 years to be exact.

That's what Tekken was to me on my playstations. So honest to God I was really heartbroken when it was announced multiplatform and to this day I'm still not happy with it. As the hippy killer explained above they pretty much had to do it but it doesn't feel right to me to have Tekken on anything but PlayStation. Tekken was BORN on the playstation. This and a lot of other well known once 3rd party playstation exclusive titles contributed pretty highly to playstation's downfall last semester before they caught up.

but yes if there ever were a generation I would've swapped it woulda been last generation. several of my favorite games from last gen were multiplatform so I would've been fine with a 360. I bought my Ps3 way before it was announced multiplatform and no I don't hate that I did that, I don't regret it, because the Ps3 had its own very stellar games.

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Localization for extremely niche titles is a tricky business. Sometimes a publisher will just give the title away to another publisher like what Sony did with Demon's Souls to Atlus and what Nintendo did with the Last Story to XSeed. But localization costs money. A publisher has to make sure that it's a good translation because in today's day and age, something like "I feel asleep," and "All your base are belong to us," aren't acceptable in today's day and age. Minor changes have to be made to the game to reflect the market that the game is being sold in like getting rid of swastikas in Germany or reducing the violence in Australia. They also now have to take up marketing, ensuring that the product meets quality standards, get the games rated in each of the territories they're being released in, etc. All of these moves cost time, effort, and money.

There is no real basis to think that though. With the PlayStation 4 launch, most of the effort was focused on Sony's IPs like Killzone and inFamous, major AAA third party games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed, and sports titles. There is just no room for a game like Yakuza to fit into a tightly packed launch line-up.

And with the numbers that the series has posted, it just isn't worth giving it a massive advertising push. The only way I can see it getting a needed boost in advertisement is if Sony is willing to pony up some cash, but I don't see them doing that for a series like Yakuza when there are other games like Destiny to promote for Sony.

Even if costs are low, if a company isn't going to get a return on its investment, it isn't worth it. For example, Wii U ports only cost about $1 million, something that should be easy considering that marketing would be included with the other versions. But more and more companies just aren't developing for the Wii U simply because even though its cheap, they still aren't getting returns on their investments.

To sum up everything I have said up to this point, gamers need to drop this attitude that these video game companies owe them something. Sure criticism is deserved when you have companies like Capcom pulling some BS moves like they've done with their DLC or EA for the way they treated the Wii U for the most petty reasons. But when a company is genuinely trying like Sega did with Yakuza in the West, you can't blame them for giving up when it just doesn't work. They're for profit companies, not service providers.

It's not that VGChartz is the only place to find the data, they just make it easier to find.

Tekken 6 did get the Platinum Collection label for the Japanese version of the Xbox 360 port. Also you have to take into account that the PlayStation's Greatest Hits label, is much bigger than the Xbox's Platinum label.

Not at all. The announcement means nothing if the games are released simultaneously on both platforms.

It did flop hard for two big reasons:
1. Almost no one bought an Xbox 360 in Japan.
2. They released it a year later in Japan, releasing games after such a long period from the initial release always hurts the new version because it just doesn't have the hype attached to it anymore. Look at how well the first BioShock game did on the PlayStation 3 (poorly), Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360 in Japan (poorly), and I don't have a lot of hope for Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PlayStation 4.

You're absolutely right in that there was no point in even bothering with a Japanese version of the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII. It was a dumb move on Square-Enix's part.

Are you kidding me? Markets like Australia, South Korea, China, etc. all have strong video game markets. India is seeing as a major target for publishers in the near future.

They haven't given up on it, but they certainly are scaling back on it considering that they don't even bother localizing the games anymore.

Boxofficemojo is good for opening weekends after they release the data, not as the weekend is going on.

Basic logic of the declining console market in Japan, the fact that it's a spin-off, increasing competition, etc.

During the PlayStation 2 era, a video game can get away without selling over a million copies, but in today's era with budgets getting higher and higher, video games need to sell more than they needed to in the past.

Taking into account of budgets getting higher on top of a declining Japanese console market, the future of this series just isn't very bright after Yakuza 0.

Before the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 era, Tekken was a system seller for the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Today, it isn't. Even if Tekken remained a PlayStation exclusive, it would not be a system seller. Gaming tastes have changed where the fighting and JRPG genres aren't system sellers anymore. Shooters, Western RPGs, and high-end platformers are what sell consoles now.

It's not all the more reason to localize it. If anything it's less of a reason to localize it.
OK man, you got me... with most of the stuff here. I still don't agree with all of the things you said but you've made enough valid points here for me to ****ing let it go.

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #20
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

Since they are releasing Yakuza 5 in europe and america this summer, I can see them releasing Yakuza Ishin and Yakuza zero as well. I certainly hope they will. It seems they will release a yakuza game on the ps vita this year as well.

my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #21
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

sold 200K in the first week, not bad
http://www.destructoid.com/yakuza-0-...s-289212.phtml

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #22
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

an hour of gameplay...

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 AM   #23
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

Default Re: Yakuza Zero

it needs to be released in the west. and yakuza ichi too.

my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Havok83
Side-Kick

A new Yakuza announcement is set to be made soon

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/...paign=Blogroll

BTW, this thread could probably be rebranded as the official Yakuza Series thread considering the individual games dont really get much traffic on their own

Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
this thread could probably be rebranded as the official Yakuza Series thread considering the individual games dont really get much traffic on their own
well that's up to hippe killer or tron bonne. i'd do it myself if i had the power.

Indeed
Quote:
Haha