The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #51
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 2

http://collider.com/jonathan-liebesm...erview/154499/

Quote:
Director Jonathan Liebesman Talks TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Reboot; Addresses “Alien Race” Comments and Hints at Motion-Capture for Turtles

by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub Posted:March 23rd, 2012 at 9:20 am

Michael Bay caused quite the hubbub the other day with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans. He’s producing a new iteration of the lovable characters in the form of a live-action reboot directed by Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans). Said hubbub was caused when Bay commented that the turtles in the reboot would be “from an alien race.” Fans were perplexed given that the word “mutant” is right in the title of the series, and “alien race” would imply that these new martial arts-inclined turtles weren’t mutated, but are actually extra terrestrial beings.

Steve got the chance to speak with Liebesman at the press junket for Wrath of the Titans earlier today and the director took the time to clear the air about his version of TMNT. He addressed the “alien race” comments, talked about his approach to the characters, revealed whether they’re thinking CGI or practical effects to bring the turtles to life, and said when he thinks they’ll start filming and where. Hit the jump to see what he had to say.

Regarding the “alien race” comments, Liebesman said the “alien” aspect actually comes straight from the series:
“Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we’re sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”
While it still sounds early in the development process, it appears the whole “alien” aspect may simply be referring to the ooze that mutates the turtles. As Liebesman said, they’re still working out the concept so things could definitely change. He stressed that TMNT comics co-creator Kevin Eastman is working alongside him, so they’re not exactly throwing the series mythology out the window:
“Whatever mythology we’re building on or expanding is coming from that guy, Kevin Eastman’s head, who created the Turtles in the first place. And so everything will tie in with the mythology; fans will be extremely excited with what we’re coming up with. A lot of it is stuff he’s wanted to do for a long time, but just hasn’t had the opportunity because now we have the budget and things on this film to expand it in the right way. And so, I’m happy that everyone is extremely passionate, and they will not be disappointed. It’s all coming from the best possible place for this franchise.”
When asked if the turtles would be practical or CGI, Liebesman hinted that they may be done similar to another recent visual effects-laden project:
“All I’ll say is that I love how they did [The Rise of the Planet of the Apes]. That was exceptional.”
I think this is a great way to go, and if Liebesman can bring Weta Digital in to create photorealistic turtles then I think we’ll be in for a visually stunning TMNT. The director also stressed that the film won’t be entirely about action:
“We’re definitely into the action, but for me what’s more important than that is that it’s a story about brotherhood and friendship and responsibility. Right now, I’m with the characters because those are what attracted me to the movie. They’re the best characters I’ll have had a chance to deal with.”
Liebesman also revealed that they’ll probably be shooting later this year (“September, or something”) and they’re thinking about shooting in Canada. I’m not necessarily a die-hard TMNT fan, but I think I can live with the fact that the ooze in the reboot comes from an “alien race.” Having the turtles themselves be aliens would be pushing it, but if Liebesman’s comments are to be taken to heart then I think fans will be alright in the end.

Here’s the portion of Steve’s interview on TMNT. Look for the full interview next week and make sure to leave your thoughts in the comments below.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #52
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 2

OK, Liebsman is making me feel better. And WETA for full on mo-cap turtles? I will support that fully.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #53
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
“Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze."

While it still sounds early in the development process, it appears the whole “alien” aspect may simply be referring to the ooze that mutates the turtles.
If that's the angle they're going for then it's acceptable. And I would love to get Weta in on this, imagine a fight scene on a NY rooftop or subway with the turtles and hundreds of ninjas! And if the turtles look as good as Gollum or Caesar? Hell yes.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #54
Paroxysm
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #55
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
I'm not letting my guard down a bit but maybe I can ease up just a tad after reading that....

Last edited by sweetre15; 03-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #56
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Has this been posted?

http://teamcoco.com/video/michael-bey-tmnt

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #57
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Finally, someone is making sense. Bay just opened his stupid mouth too early, as usual. If this turns out to be anywhere near as good as Rise of the Planet of the Apes, then I am down. I wonder what species of turtle they will be based on if we get some photorealistic Turtles.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #58
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
If there's anything that he said that I liked, it's this:

Quote:
We’re definitely into the action, but for me what’s more important than that is that it’s a story about brotherhood and friendship and responsibility. Right now, I’m with the characters because those are what attracted me to the movie. They’re the best characters I’ll have had a chance to deal with.”
If they incorporate the "outcast" aspect of their characters then it can really good

Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #59
Marvin
Side-Kick

Omg a word from the actual director of the film? Expanding on a factual to production and canon single line statement from the producer....it's going to be a long year, of that much I'm sure.

Funny how the one co creator that is being consulted sings praise and possibilities whilst the other co creator that has been left out makes sarcastic back handed comments.

Wait and see, otherwise end up speaking too early and looking stupid...ie the Mikey voice actor.

When it's perceived as a bad change it's coming out of bays head, when it's a positive decision such as weta moCap or pretty much every JL said in that interview it's not Bay.

Last edited by Marvin; 03-23-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #60
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Maybe those comments will calm people down some, but I doubt it.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #61
Victarion
Cut

I'm tired of Leo and Ralph always butting heads. Give Mikey and Donnie something to do to develop their characters.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #62
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
When it's perceived as a bad change it's coming out of bays head, when it's a positive decision such as weta moCap or pretty much every JL said in that interview it's not Bay.
When Bay's running his mouth saying stupid **** like 'they're from alien race lol' you bet your ass it's perceived as bad.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #63
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Yes...looks like the are going with the REAL origins of the turtles!

And man....Bay worked us.....he knew exactly what he was doing saying Alien Race and throwing us for a loop.......bastard

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #64
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Omg a word from the actual director of the film? Expanding on a factual to production and canon single line statement from the producer....it's going to be a long year, of that much I'm sure.

Funny how the one co creator that is being consulted sings praise and possibilities whilst the other co creator that has been left out makes sarcastic back handed comments.

Wait and see, otherwise end up speaking too early and looking stupid...ie the Mikey voice actor.

i tried to tell people to relax and see how its handled

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #65
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
When Bay's running his mouth saying stupid **** like 'they're from alien race lol' you bet your ass it's perceived as bad.
Exactly! He needs a muzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #66
Marvin
Side-Kick

Haven't seen people care about the turtles this much since the late 80's.

Fanboys are a tricky lot and it seems Bay is a man that understands them most. He's somewhere making a troll face this very moment.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #67
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
The only running of the mouth has been by fanboys bashing hollywood for thinking filmmakers don't get their saturday morning toy commercials. I wouldn't call what bay presented a running of the mouth.

Moreover, my point wasn't about the reaction to what he said it was about the assigning of blame and credit. Like I said before this will be even more evident with Snyder and Nolan on Superman. Just as it was with Bay and Spielberg.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #68
Paroxysm
Banned User

Yay!!! No more pissing and moaning!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #69
roach
I am the night

Bay is a smart man...he made comment and made the Turtles trending in the Twittersphere...free publicity...I am sure I called the back pedal when this first came out

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #70
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Bay is a smart man...he made comment and made the Turtles trending in the Twittersphere...free publicity...I am sure I called the back pedal when this first came out
He's both a smart man and a douche

Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #71
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I'm tired of Leo and Ralph always butting heads. Give Mikey and Donnie something to do to develop their characters.
I definitely agree with that. We don't need another Raphael-Leo conflict.

In the IDW run (I know I keep referring back to that) Leo and Donnie have been butting heads. I think it would be an interesting dynamic to bring to the screen.

And it's good to hear from Liebesman. I always assumed they would go the "Rise of the Planet..." with the Turtles in this one. Any other choice would be foolish. And any other choice other than WETA for the effects would be foolish.

And I hope it is the TCRI origin, but I'll believe it when I see it. But honestly, hearing from the director is always a good thing.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #72
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
I definitely agree with that. We don't need another Raphael-Leo conflict.

In the IDW run (I know I keep referring back to that) Leo and Donnie have been butting heads. I think it would be an interesting dynamic to bring to the screen.

And it's good to hear from Liebesman. I always assumed they would go the "Rise of the Planet..." with the Turtles in this one. Any other choice would be foolish. And any other choice other than WETA for the effects would be foolish.

And I hope it is the TCRI origin, but I'll believe it when I see it. But honestly, hearing from the director is always a good thing.
I think that each member of the TMNT are still finding their place both as a team and as brothers.

I think Donnie is butting heads because is that he thinks everyone is quick to fight while Mikey is frustrated because no one ever takes him seriously because he's the youngest. And a little dumb.

Also I think they need to expand in the concept of being 'alone' with potentially Donnie and Mike fighting for Apri's love!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #73
Marvin
Side-Kick

Turtles are trending on twitter lol.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #74
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
Yay!!! No more pissing and moaning!!!
yeah right.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #75
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
.....or he just really has no ****ing idea what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Closed Thread