The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Mcnancy

Default Who needs X-men and Fantastic Four anyways?

In my opinion Fox has used up those properties and driven them into the ground, If marvel got the rights back it would all have to be rebooted and even though it would be a million times better it would still be redundant.

Granted they have some great characters, but great characters can be ruined by a movie, but more importantly a character that was boring before can be made great.

So why not just replace X-Men and The Fantastic Four, with something fresh. I say use the Inhumans and Future Foundation to fill the gap

Terrigen Mists can not only practically function the same as the mutant gene from a storytelling point of view, but it can also be connected to the greater universe with the Kree and all that, as apposed to just some random shift in genetics that has nothing to do with anything.

Future Foundation can not only act as your Fantastic Four, but it can also act as your Xavier's school for the gifted, which in my mind makes it more interesting than just another group of superheroes.

Inhumans work great for when you need some random jerk with a random power, or you want to put in a character from the comics but you don't want their messy origin story.

Sure characters like Karnak and Gorgon have never been huge hits with comic readers but that doesn't mean that with some good writing and casting they couldn't be re-envisioned as great characters.

Future Foundation could make use of characters that are already tied into the universe, one's that might not get a spotlight in the avengers because of crowding or being to similar to another hero. Let be real, if we are going to have all these characters from the comics they can't all be Avengers and star in all the Avenger films.

Start off with one or two Inhumans movies which would be similar to early X-men stories featuring younger heroes with a strong appeal to younger audiences. Just using the terrigen oirgin would be a simple way to introduce younger audiences to characters like Crystal, Rage, Tigra, Cloak and Dagger, Wiccan and whoever.

Then use Attilan and the Boltagon family to bridge into the Future Foundation movies

Future Foundation would be the next chapter; add in older characters from other movies to be the teachers and evolve it into a kind of avengers meets hogwarts.

My Future Foundation would be something like:
  • Scott Lang (played by Paul Rudd)
  • She-Hulk (played by Greta Gerwig, introduced in next Hulk movie)
  • Medusa (played by Summer Glau)
  • Dr. Strange (played by Jason Shwartzman)

Mcnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Re: Who needs X-men and Fantastic Four anyways?

I will always in my heart be an x-fan so to answer your question, I do.

I still want to see the maximoff twins, as avengers, fighting magneto.
I still want to see a great silver surfer film done by marvel

I know I may never get a chance to see it but I can always dream

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

More than any specific characters, I would like Marvel to be able to use the concept of mutants without having to duck around the issue for fear of lawsuits. We are already seeing this with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Just being able to use the word 'mutant' would make me happy.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
_LazerBlade_
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I dont mind the X-Men movies as they are, I do agree that if Marvel Studios got the rights back future X-Men movies would be so much more better, but I wouldn't want Marvel to reboot the entire franchise, I'd want them to just expand on the existing movies and have connections to the Avengers and everyone (And this is mainly because I believe Hugh Jackman plays a great Wolverine and I'd absolutely hate it if they recast him)

_LazerBlade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnancy View Post
So why not just replace X-Men and The Fantastic Four, with something fresh. I say use the Inhumans and Future Foundation to fill the gap.
They did replace the X-Men and Fantastic Four. With the Avengers.

If Marvel had these properties, then they would have made those films instead of the Avengers films, and we wouldn't have Avengers. Even now, until they go to 3+ films a year, the only way they can make films for these properties is by spacing out their current franchsises by 4-6 years between sequels, including the Avengers films. Avengers 2 in 2015, Avengers 3 in 2021.

Also, just so you know, Future Foundation falls under Fantastic Four. Just like Sony can't take Ben Reilly and call him the Winter Soldier, because that falls under Captain America, Marvel can't take their characters and call them Future Foundation/Fantastic Five/Fantastic Force/Heralds of Galactus/Anything that falls under the Fantastic Four.

To replace the *role* that the FF has in the MCU, I'd split it between The Science Bros, Tony and Bruce who do all the stuff Reed Richards would normally do, and The Guardians of the Galaxy, who explore the cosmos the way the FF usually does.

The X-Men don't really have a role in the Marvel Universe, per se. They kinda go off and do their own thing in a world where mutants are always persecuted because they're mutants. Their role of being off on their own doing their own thing and having society metaphors can definitely be handled by the Inhumans.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 04-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

FF in MCU would be a nice expansion.

A real nice expansion.

X-men and Spider-man are fine in separate universes. They are better served by desperate studios who need to continue those series endlessly.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

^^This

Old 04-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
First Avenger
Side-Kick

I agree,IMO the FF belong to the MCU.I am fine with the X-Men at fox, they did a decent job so far,I only hate XMO out of those movies and X3 was average.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
mightiest_mortal
Much Mightier than thou!

Origins was average (apart from DP that was plain bad), X3 was bad, I've actually enjoyed the other X-Films though. Sure they've dated a little, but I dont get why Singers X-Films have so much hate poured on them in the forums nowadays. I remember being blown away by X2 in the cinemas.

mightiest_mortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
First Avenger
Side-Kick

X2 is still fantastic.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LazerBlade_ View Post
I dont mind the X-Men movies as they are, I do agree that if Marvel Studios got the rights back future X-Men movies would be so much more better, but I wouldn't want Marvel to reboot the entire franchise, I'd want them to just expand on the existing movies and have connections to the Avengers and everyone (And this is mainly because I believe Hugh Jackman plays a great Wolverine and I'd absolutely hate it if they recast him)
Unfortunately Jackman is visibly getting older so he probably only has a couple of films left after DOFP. I really like Jackman in the role, but I don't want him ending up like Roger Moore in A View to a Kill.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

But Wolverine is supposed to look older.

Mid-40's is about right.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
coreymb16
Side-Kick

I want to see as many Marvel movies as possible and it seems like Fox and Sony are getting better in developing their movies. I am excited for XMDOFP and TASM2!

coreymb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
But Wolverine is supposed to look older.

Mid-40's is about right.
Mid-40s is fine. Mid-50s to 60s is not. That day is coming and it is not that far off (Jackman is 45).

Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

X-Men are better served not being apart of the MCU. I've been wishing for years they'd retcon and do the same thing in the comics as well.

I don't particularly have any vested interest in where Spider-Man or FF end up.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

I dont think MCU Fans understand anything outside of their MCU (I'm a MARVEL Fan btw)

But Fox has control of all the good characters outside of Spider-Man. The MCU has zero good villians outside of Loki/Thanos/Red Skull. Fantastic Four/X-Men has control of the majority of Marvel's best villians. The possibilities are endless. People saying they dont relate dont read comic books. Proffessor X and Reed are both in the illuminati. Wolverine/Stotm were member's of The FF. Wolverine n Ben Grimm are good friends. The FF/X-Men journeying into the Savage Land would maje a excellent movie and be something never seen in the genre. A space voyage battling the Shi-ar n Spacejammers would rival Star Trek/Star Wars. A Doom n Magneto team up against the FF/X-Men would be way more interesting the Ultron. Galactus done correctly bringing in Apocalypse. Mark Millar is the guy behind this who created tge MCU's best asoects in the Ultimate universe. Well guess what fanboys he wrote Ultimate FF & X-MEN fools

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Lord
All Mighty

I don't really want the X-Men in the MCU, probably the use of the Mutant word for some like Quicksilver, but outside of that, i think X-Men works better outside the Marvel universe.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMinesMarvel View Post
I dont think MCU Fans understand anything outside of their MCU (I'm a MARVEL Fan btw)

But Fox has control of all the good characters outside of Spider-Man. The MCU has zero good villians outside of Loki/Thanos/Red Skull. Fantastic Four/X-Men has control of the majority of Marvel's best villians. The possibilities are endless. People saying they dont relate dont read comic books. Proffessor X and Reed are both in the illuminati. Wolverine/Stotm were member's of The FF. Wolverine n Ben Grimm are good friends. The FF/X-Men journeying into the Savage Land would maje a excellent movie and be something never seen in the genre. A space voyage battling the Shi-ar n Spacejammers would rival Star Trek/Star Wars. A Doom n Magneto team up against the FF/X-Men would be way more interesting the Ultron. Galactus done correctly bringing in Apocalypse. Mark Millar is the guy behind this who created tge MCU's best asoects in the Ultimate universe. Well guess what fanboys he wrote Ultimate FF & X-MEN fools
Then let Fox do all those teamups you want. Doesn't sound like they need to be in the MCU at all for that.

There's lots of good characters on both sides. Ultron, Kang, Thanos and Baron Zemo are easily as interesting and powerful as Doom and Magneto. The Avengers, Defenders, Heroes For Hire, Guardians of the Galaxy, Midnight Sons, New Warriors, etc are awesome, awesome characters. If you think the most promoted ones: X-Men/FF/Spider-Man are the only good characters, then it's actually you that needs to read more comics.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Then let Fox do all those teamups you want. Doesn't sound like they need to be in the MCU at all for that.

There's lots of good characters on both sides. Ultron, Kang, Thanos and Baron Zemo are easily as interesting and powerful as Doom and Magneto. The Avengers, Defenders, Heroes For Hire, Guardians of the Galaxy, Midnight Sons, New Warriors, etc are awesome, awesome characters. If you think the most promoted ones: X-Men/FF/Spider-Man are the only good characters, then it's actually you that needs to read more comics.

No im tired of people not paying homage. If it wasnt for Blade or Xmen their be no MCU. Anything not made by Marvel Studios (Who has plenty of bad movies) is treated like a second class movie. And X-Men/FF/Spider-Man based characters are without a doubt > MCU characters thats why their rights were bought from Marvel

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Slushy
The Man

Fantastic Four back in the MCU is a must. Reed Richards played an important role in countless Avengers storylines.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #22
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
FF in MCU would be a nice expansion.

A real nice expansion.

X-men and Spider-man are fine in separate universes. They are better served by desperate studios who need to continue those series endlessly.
I think I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I don't really want the X-Men in the MCU, probably the use of the Mutant word for some like Quicksilver, but outside of that, i think X-Men works better outside the Marvel universe.
And I definitely agree with this.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #23
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
Fantastic Four back in the MCU is a must. Reed Richards played an important role in countless Avengers storylines.
This! Plus Galactus and Silver Surfer need to be in the MCU!

Spiderman looks to be in good hands at Sony! Love the direction their going in!

X-men wouldn't work in the MCU. Their better off on their own.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #24
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Fantastic Four was the foundation of the Marvel Universe and they NEED to be a part of the cinematic universe as well.

Spidey seems to be in good hands at Sony, but it would be great to see him team up with the Torch or Sandman being a part of the Frightful Four.

For most of their history the X-Men have been outside the MU - thanks in large part to Chris Claremount - so I have not problem with them staying that way.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #25
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

I thought First Class was great and expect DOFP to be amazing. I'm a total Marvel guy. But I don't think it's treason to enjoy one of their properties at another studio.

F4 has been crap. But I was never a huge fan of them anyway.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote