Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #701
socool
"You Are Not Alone"

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: The Game - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemyst View Post
If it's what I'm picturing, by having him cling to a wall with his back facing it, it may give him the ability to survey the area to find out what all threats are at ground level.
It's this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #702
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
It's this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Sweet, I always felt like that was one of those things that I wanted Spidey to be able to do from jump in a game, never thought they would actually assign a button to do so

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #703
socool
"You Are Not Alone"

Quote:
Sweet, I always felt like that was one of those things that I wanted Spidey to be able to do from jump in a game, never thought they would actually assign a button to do so
It's more than likely a way for you to survey the area without the finiky camera (which I know this game will have) getting in the way. It's even more possible since holding down the web-rush button lets you see alert enemies and enemies with guns. (Much like detective mode)

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #704
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
It's more than likely a way for you to survey the area without the finiky camera (which I know this game will have) getting in the way. It's even more possible since holding down the web-rush button lets you see alert enemies and enemies with guns. (Much like detective mode)
Cool cool cool, well let's just hope they've addressed those camera issues. As I've stated before, that was one of the main things that plagued the Spider-Man games, that stupid camera. You would think the developers would have a camera system that could actually keep up with the character, but hell, look at the old Devil May Cry games

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #705
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
http://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content...ideogame-3.jpg

The control scheme. Some things to mention:

-The auto-lock ability from SD and EoT is now replaced by the camera.
-Pressing in the left stick while on a wall causes Spider-Man to face forward, pushing his back to the wall.
-The counter button in the Arkham games is replaced with a dodge function.
-You can do both web shots and web grabs. (For the first time since Spider-Man 3)
I am really liking the control layout. It looks pretty efficient and should work well. My favorite thing is the ability to both web grab and do web shots. I also know that the B button is what you use to trigger the signature takedown moves when an enemy is dazed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of a 'counter' button. Since this game is using the same basic system as Arkham, I wonder how the dodge button will function.

Quote:
If it's what I'm picturing, by having him cling to a wall with his back facing it, it may give him the ability to survey the area to find out what all threats are at ground level.
Yeah, it's just like that picture that was posted from Noir SD. I cannot wait to dive into this game and check out all the cool features.

Quote:
Cool cool cool, well let's just hope they've addressed those camera issues. As I've stated before, that was one of the main things that plagued the Spider-Man games, that stupid camera. You would think the developers would have a camera system that could actually keep up with the character, but hell, look at the old Devil May Cry games
Remember when I was talking about how the experience of the level based Spidey games would come into play for Beenox?? One of the things that was very noticeable from an evolutionary standpoint was how Beenox improved the camera work from SD to EoT. They made some pretty good strides there and was probably masked by the other negatives that people seem to focus on. I'm pretty sure that Beenox will once again make the necessary adjustments to the gameplay to make things run even smoother. I think a good indication of this is the positive feedback coming from the camera movement during web swinging.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #706
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzo3000 View Post

Overall, the controls seem pretty good. I remember dome people saying earlier that Spidey's more of a dodger than a counter attacker like Batman and it seems like Beenox agrees.
Yea i can see that. Even with Spideys super enhanced reflexes, he's still not half the combatant Wayne is. Spidey should have more of a wait and see approach to combat, dodging then attacking where as Batman, more or less uses a Jeet Kune Do type system, or 'active' blocking' where as his counters end up being offensive maneuvers. Cant wait to see the combat in action. I hope it looks great. Spideys combat in previous games always looked awful.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #707
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea i can see that. Even with Spideys super enhanced reflexes, he's still not half the combatant Wayne is. Spidey should have more of a wait and see approach to combat, dodging then attacking where as Batman, more or less uses a Jeet Kune Do type system, or 'active' blocking' where as his counters end up being offensive maneuvers. Cant wait to see the combat in action. I hope it looks great. Spideys combat in previous games always looked awful.
One thing that has annoyed me to some degree in past Spidey games was the ineffectiveness of the dodge button. It seemed to not work at all against some enemies and others it was a chore to make a good dodge based on how much time they give you to hit the button. I hope that in TASM, the dodge mechanic works well and also lets you know when an attack is coming aka AA/AC when those squiggly lines appear above an enemies' head.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #708
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Are we related???? My God, that's exactly how I view Spidey's fighting style, similar to an art of fighting without fighting, he more or less uses his wit and cunning to make his opponents over-exert themselves, thus throwing them off their game

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #709
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Are we related???? My God, that's exactly how I view Spidey's fighting style, similar to an art of fighting without fighting, he more or less uses his wit and cunning to make his opponents over-exert themselves, thus throwing them off their game
Well it makes sense. Spidey isn't a trained fighter, so even though he has the ability to stop and counter a thugs attack, he may not have the technique to successfully return the attack, where as Batman, an expertly trained martial artist will use an opponents attack against them. He has a very distinct technique. Spidey's is more 'organic' or evolving as he gains experience. In pretty much all Spidey games, we've never really seen his fighting style be given a lot of thought. He just kind of swings away, or uses stupid web hammers. Im really looking forward to seeing how is 'lucha libre' inspired fighting style will look in this game.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #710
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Well it makes sense. Spidey isn't a trained fighter, so even though he has the ability to stop and counter a thugs attack, he may not have the technique to successfully return the attack, where as Batman, an expertly trained martial artist will use an opponents attack against them. He has a very distinct technique. Spidey's is more 'organic' or evolving as he gains experience. In pretty much all Spidey games, we've never really seen his fighting style be given a lot of thought. He just kind of swings away, or uses stupid web hammers. Im really looking forward to seeing how is 'lucha libre' inspired fighting style will look in this game.
I agree with this. Batman uses his knowledge of fighting whereas Spider-man uses his speed, agility, and wits to overcome his foes. It's kind of funny when you think about the 'lucha libre' fighting style that's being used in this game. And it sort of makes sense too...Peter is a pretty smart guy and was thinking to himself..."I've got the speed and strength to fight enemies but my moves are pretty lame." Then he gets the idea to watch some Mexican wrestling on ESPN the Ocho and takes some ideas from there and tries to incorporate those moves into his skill set.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #711
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
http://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content...ideogame-3.jpg

The control scheme. Some things to mention:

-The auto-lock ability from SD and EoT is now replaced by the camera.
-Pressing in the left stick while on a wall causes Spider-Man to face forward, pushing his back to the wall.
I can control this this time? Sweet
Quote:
-The counter button in the Arkham games is replaced with a dodge function.
SM2
Quote:
-You can do both web shots and web grabs. (For the first time since Spider-Man 3)
SAH-WEET

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #712
Spider-X
Big damn hero

ok, god damn it...if webslinging isn't deeper than just "Web swing button," no boosting to gain momentum at different points in your swing, no wall running, no air tricks, imma have a damn fit! The webslinging in SD sucked...if they suck it up again, and in a free roam game...I'll raise hell!

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #713
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
ok, god damn it...if webslinging isn't deeper than just "Web swing button," no boosting to gain momentum at different points in your swing, no wall running, no air tricks, imma have a damn fit! The webslinging in SD sucked...if they suck it up again, and in a free roam game...I'll raise hell!
Well we don't know at this point, the web swing button could very well be pressure sensitive, holding down on the button may increase the speed of his swing. As far as the air tricks, dunno about that one, he may just do tricks at random if he has enough air time to pull something off, not sure if the player would have control over that, he did in SM3, but dunno if the developers are gonna employ that same type of mechanic. Also, I think wall running may be out of the question

Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #714
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

There should be no 'swing boost'. Thats dumb as hell. Air tricks or anything of the such should just be random or context sensitive. Theres no real need for them.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #715
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
There should be no 'swing boost'. Thats dumb as hell.
...seriously? Have you played SM2, SM3, WoS, Ultimate Spider-Man? They all have it, they're all free roaming. It helps Spidey get around, build momentum, and adds a dynamic to the swinging.

Quote:
Air tricks or anything of the such should just be random or context sensitive. Theres no real need for them.
Spider-Man does unnecessary athletic moves, tricks, and poses in the comics while swinging all the time. It's fun and it fits the character...so why shouldn't they be in there? it doesn't take away from anything, only adds to making you feel more like spider-man.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #716
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

its quite possible that the swing button we see in the picture is just to get it started. once you are actually swinging, some of the now unused buttons could be used for additional swing options.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #717
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I agree with Pat that no other buttons are needed. A boost button for 'momentum'? That's artificial and crap. If they designed the webswinging properly, you will get a boost from normal momentum, from the physics of how wide the swing arc and where you release it.

Also, regarding tricks etc, I also think context sensitive is better for the most part, and that seems to be what web rush is anyway.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #718
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I agree with Pat that no other buttons are needed. A boost button for 'momentum'? That's artificial and crap. If they designed the webswinging properly, you will get a boost from normal momentum, from the physics of how wide the swing arc and where you release it.

Also, regarding tricks etc, I also think context sensitive is better for the most part, and that seems to be what web rush is anyway.
A 'boost' makes sense if he's using his legs to propel himself. It just needs to work physics-wise, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to generate a little extra momentum in a realistic fashion.

Also, doing acrobatic moves between web-slinging is FUN, which is the point of the game. You don't have to do them if you don't want, but there certainly should be an option to do so. Likewise, they should make sense physics-wise and should be more awesome if you build the correct momentum.

Last edited by TheBat812; 05-01-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #719
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
A 'boost' makes sense if he's using his legs to propel himself. It just needs to work physics-wise, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to generate a little extra momentum in a realistic fashion.

Also, doing acrobatic moves between web-slinging is FUN, which is the point of the game. You don't have to do them if you don't want, but there certainly should be an option to do so. Likewise, they should make sense physics-wise and should be more awesome if you build the correct momentum.

If there is a realistic way for Spidey to build momentum when swinging, then fine, but pressing a button just to make him instantly speed up is beyond stupid. Its doesnt fit in this more realistic/grounded world Beenox(and Sony/Marvel) are trying to create.

As for the air tricks, they're unnecessary. Period. I dont care if they're "fun", they dont add anything to the gameplay. You dont see Rocksteady giving Batman any gameplay elements that dont tie directly into the game itself. Dev time doesnt need to be wasted on adding a user generated feature like that, when it could be context based. Having Spidey flip off his web line, or do a very "Spider-Man like move" off a car or flag pole is all the air tricks you need and thats covered in the web rush mechanic. The mechanic gets you from point a to b in a Spider-Man like fashion where as 'air tricks' are there just for show and add nothing to the game.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 05-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #720
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
...seriously? Have you played SM2, SM3, WoS, Ultimate Spider-Man? They all have it, they're all free roaming. It helps Spidey get around, build momentum, and adds a dynamic to the swinging.
Its unrealistic and unnatural and isn't needed if Spidey's swing system is designed properly from the get go.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #721
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Agreed. It would way cooler and more in keeping with a true Spider-Man experience if you had to take into account what type of swings you were doing in order to gain speed and momentum. Start of with a few, big, long swings in order to use the momentum and gain speed and then once you have it, keep going with medium, smaller swings in order to cover more distance and be ready to change direction, but all at the same speed.

I know people love the swinging in some of those past Spidey games, that had a boost feature, but it was seriously broken at points. When you would get to the very end of a swing and be on a horizontal webline and then you could 'boost' to go further up? That was just silly and game breaking. This game should have grounded physics, not the physics from Trials Evolution.

If you really want an immersive Spidey game that lets you feel like Spidey, we should be doing things his way. He doesn't have any magical 'speed boost' abilities, he just uses regular momentum and physics. Imagine jumping off a tall building, building up speed and then going straight into a webswing from that. That's all the boost I need.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #722
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Leg positioning while swinging can factor into his speed too though. I wouldn't be opposed to a boost button if his body positioning changed to account for it

Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #723
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Agreed. It would way cooler and more in keeping with a true Spider-Man experience if you had to take into account what type of swings you were doing in order to gain speed and momentum. Start of with a few, big, long swings in order to use the momentum and gain speed and then once you have it, keep going with medium, smaller swings in order to cover more distance and be ready to change direction, but all at the same speed.

I know people love the swinging in some of those past Spidey games, that had a boost feature, but it was seriously broken at points. When you would get to the very end of a swing and be on a horizontal webline and then you could 'boost' to go further up? That was just silly and game breaking. This game should have grounded physics, not the physics from Trials Evolution.

If you really want an immersive Spidey game that lets you feel like Spidey, we should be doing things his way. He doesn't have any magical 'speed boost' abilities, he just uses regular momentum and physics. Imagine jumping off a tall building, building up speed and then going straight into a webswing from that. That's all the boost I need.
Agreed completely. One of the things i remember hating about SM3 is you could come to a dead stop on your web line, then magically float in any direction you wanted. The lack of physics was just jarring and like you say, completely takes you out of the experience.

We've never gotten the deep swinging system we need, nor do i think this game will deliver that, but throwing physics out the window won't help.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #724
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Leg positioning while swinging can factor into his speed too though. I wouldn't be opposed to a boost button if his body positioning changed to account for it
Yea i was thinking this as well, but to what extent? How much speed would he really be making up and would that add to the gameplay without coming across as to hokey? I think if you want a more authentic experience, the 'boost' should be tied to spideys position before he fires his web line.

I mean i agree tho, if they can make a boost look authentic and not just feel like spidey is swinging faster for the hell of it then fine, but again, i dont think its needed if we are given the proper swing mechanic.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #725
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Yea i was thinking this as well, but to what extent? How much speed would he really be making up and would that add to the gameplay without coming across as to hokey? I think if you want a more authentic experience, the 'boost' should be tied to spideys position before he fires his web line.

I mean i agree tho, if they can make a boost look authentic and not just feel like spidey is swinging faster for the hell of it then fine, but again, i dont think its needed if we are given the proper swing mechanic.
Problem lies too though with the fact that you don't want to make it toooooooo realistic, or speed challenges and ability to reach and dodge certain areas can be too difficult and frustrate gamers to not want to continue too. Gotta find a medium between the two.

Id prefer a boost button honestly. But make it make sense. change his body position or "thwip" faster. Maybe he pulls the webing when swinging rather than letting the inertia alone do it?

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Closed Thread