The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #26
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Avengers run time

I'd still like to see a longer, 3 hour version on DVD/ Blu-Ray. They can release it later if need be, but at least there is the option to watch it there.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
paulogonza
Side-Kick

here in brazil i buy mi tickets for 26 th april midnight and the running time is 142 minutes.

paulogonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
Liam_H
Side-Kick

That makes sense if Whedon said his cut is 135 minutes with about 7 minutes of credits.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Not happy with 135 minutes if it is indeed true. Not happy at all.

The movie should be no less than 145 minutes. From what I'm gathering, Whedon shot for something even longer than that but they seem to be giving him a hard time in the editing room.

Hopefully this doesn't amount to another Feige/TIH situation.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
Figs
Banned User

I remember reading some interview with Whedon not that long ago saying how Marvel/Feige wanted more action in the film. I'm hoping he didn't have to cut out too many character moments for that.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #31
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm not sure why this makes Alexei unhappy. It means the movie is 37 minutes longer than his favorite movie of all time.

Alexei why is it arbitrary that the movie MUST be 145 minutes for it to definitively be good in your head? I'd really just like to know.

That already makes this film longer than Star Trek 2009, The Incredibles, and the same length as Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Seriously you guys are spoiled. Not every movie has to be 2 and a half to 3 hours to be ****ing good. ****, if the Transformers sequels were like an hour shorter each that would've made them a lot more ****ing tolerable to sit through. Instead they were mind numbing.

The Pirates of The Carribbean sequels were also way too damn long.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 03-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'm not sure why this makes Alexei unhappy. It means the movie is 37 minutes longer than his favorite movie of all time.

Alexei why is it arbitrary that the movie MUST be 145 minutes for it to definitively be good in your head? I'd really just like to know.

That already makes this film longer than Star Trek 2009, The Incredibles, and the same length as Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Seriously you guys are spoiled. Not every movie has to be 2 and a half to 3 hours to be ****ing good. ****, if the Transformers sequels were like an hour shorter each that would've made them a lot more ****ing tolerable to sit through. Instead they were mind numbing.

The Pirates of The Carribbean sequels were also way too damn long.
Grow up, man. This is gettin' old.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I just don't understand why 135 minutes is too short but 145 minutes is long enough.

- CM Punk
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Not happy with 135 minutes if it is indeed true. Not happy at all.

The movie should be no less than 145 minutes. From what I'm gathering, Whedon shot for something even longer than that but they seem to be giving him a hard time in the editing room.

Hopefully this doesn't amount to another Feige/TIH situation.
Why must this movie be no less than 145 mins to be good?..what could u possibly say to validate this?

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just don't understand why 135 minutes is too short but 145 minutes is long enough.
Me neither. Unless they cut some pretty good scenes out, I don't see an extra 10 minutes making or breaking this movie.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #36
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Why must this movie be no less than 145 mins to be good?..what could u possibly say to validate this?
Its a global invasion movie with 8 leads. 145 minutes is the least one can provide to give them proper characterization whilst juggling action & exposition to set up the invasion.

Independence Day, which was a well-paced alien invasion film, ran 145 minutes with just 4 leads. Now do the math.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Its a global invasion movie with 8 leads. 145 minutes is the least one can provide to give them proper characterization whilst juggling action & exposition to set up the invasion.

Independence Day, which was a well-paced alien invasion film, ran 145 minutes with just 4 leads. Now do the math.
If we're doing the math, that means since Avengers has twice the number of leads, then it needs to be twice as long as ID4, so 290 minutes. That just doesn't add up. I actually don't see this movie having 8 leads. I still see it as having only about 5 (Hulk, CA, Thor, Iron Man, and Loki) with BW, Fury, and Hawkeye being more supporting type characters. Coulson, Hill, and Selvig could also be classified as supporting with the previous three I mentioned.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

Like Webfoot said, it should be 290 minutes???

If Independence Day is the high bar then I'd be worried. Avengers is going to be FAR better than Independence Day and I can comfortably say that with a certainty. So MANY great films in history have clocked in at around 140 minutes both action and other genres. It's all about story and Joss is a master storyteller.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
Figs
Banned User

He's forgetting that the important characters(IM, Thor, Cap and Hulk) all had their own solo movies for us to get to know them. I'm sure the running time for this film will give them more than enough time to get to interact with each other.

Last edited by Figs; 03-29-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #40
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'd love a 3 hour Avengers movie. However, Spider-Man 3's extra long time didn't seem to help or benefit the movie really.

- CM Punk
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #41
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
because you miss a 10 minute sex scene that way!

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #42
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Unless it was a 10 minute sex scene between Peggy Carter and Black Widow I'm not going to care .

- CM Punk
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #43
The Morningstar
Banned User

Arguing over 10 minutes is being a dick for the sake of it, frankly.

It all remains to be seen at the end of the day. I've always said the film had to be well over 2 hours, it is.

Sometimes making a film too long is a bad thing. It can then become self indulgent and bloated, just look at the last 2 Transformers films, the Pirates of the Caribbean films and Peter Jackson's King Kong. King Kong in particular would have been a much, much better movie if Jackson trimmed the fat off of it, making it around half an hour shorter.

It's about putting what is necessary into the film, not having a load of "fat". Joss Whedon has said that the cut that will be in the cinema is his cut. He has actually said he wants the movie not to feel self indulgent and bloated, to be streamlined, to not have any fat. He knows more about how to make this movie than any of us armchair critics on here. It's as simple as that.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #44
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post

It all remains to be seen at the end of the day. I've always said the film had to be well over 2 hours, it is.

Sometimes making a film too long is a bad thing. It can then become self indulgent and bloated, just look at the last 2 Transformers films, the Pirates of the Caribbean films and Peter Jackson's King Kong. King Kong in particular would have been a much, much better movie if Jackson trimmed the fat off of it, making it around half an hour shorter.

It's about putting what is necessary into the film, not having a load of "fat". Joss Whedon has said that the cut that will be in the cinema is his cut. He has actually said he wants the movie not to feel self indulgent and bloated, to be streamlined, to not have any fat. He knows more about how to make this movie than any of us armchair critics on here. It's as simple as that.
Well said.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
Tissues
Side-Kick

Quote:
Unless it was a 10 minute sex scene between Peggy Carter and Black Widow I'm not going to care .
Peggy in 2011?? I'm not into that mature stuff myself.

My short film about hair loss.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Tissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #46
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post

Well I hope not too much. That was Bryan Singer's approach with the first X-Men movie, and that was only 1 1/2 hours. It was far too stripped of any substance.

Whedon better not remove too many of the slower characterisation moments. I don't want it to be non-stop action.

How long a film feels can depend on how engaged you are in the plot and the characters. If you feel invested in them, then the time can whizz by quickly and even 3 hours feels short. If the plot and the characters are dull, then even 1 1/2 hours feels too long and begins to drag.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #47
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
If Steve had his way with his girl back in the 1940s, she could've been Preggy Carter.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #48
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well I hope not too much. That was Bryan Singer's approach with the first X-Men movie, and that was only 1 1/2 hours. It was far too stripped of any substance.

Whedon better not remove too many of the slower characterisation moments. I don't want it to be non-stop action.

How long a film feels can depend on how engaged you are in the plot and the characters. If you feel invested in them, then the time can whizz by quickly and even 3 hours feels short. If the plot and the characters are dull, then even 1 1/2 hours feels too long and begins to drag.
True. But really, good characterisation can be done with a single line of dialogue under the pen of someone talented.

I think what he meant by that was he didn't want it to be like the TF movies. Which were so self indulgent and bloated, yet still had piss poor characterisation and a completely nonsensical plot.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
If we're doing the math, that means since Avengers has twice the number of leads, then it needs to be twice as long as ID4, so 290 minutes. That just doesn't add up. I actually don't see this movie having 8 leads. I still see it as having only about 5 (Hulk, CA, Thor, Iron Man, and Loki) with BW, Fury, and Hawkeye being more supporting type characters. Coulson, Hill, and Selvig could also be classified as supporting with the previous three I mentioned.
Who were the 4 leads in ID4? Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and who else? Are we talking about Randy Quaid? He was the only other one who had a character journey and story of his own. I don't think the other lead can be Margaret Colin, Judd Hirsch or Robert Loggia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Like Webfoot said, it should be 290 minutes???

If Independence Day is the high bar then I'd be worried. Avengers is going to be FAR better than Independence Day and I can comfortably say that with a certainty. So MANY great films in history have clocked in at around 140 minutes both action and other genres. It's all about story and Joss is a master storyteller.

I hope Avengers is as good as ID4. What I liked about that movie is that, despite all the spectacle and destruction, the main characters still had a personal journey and growth, and they stepped up to their responsibilities and what it means to be a hero. Although I'm not too sure how much of a journey Bill Pullman had, as much as the others at least.

I hope Captain America can give a rousing speech like Pullman (even though Pullman's speech about July 4th no longer being just a US holiday was groaned at by some critics).

X-Men 1 at 90 minutes did feel short. Actually, even Elektra felt short and lacking in substance, even though there were scenes that really dragged. I think the problem with overly short movies is that there seems to be one major action scene in the middle, and then it's already heading to the climax of the movie.

With Ang Lee's Hulk, it felt overly long because I think that the final battle between the two Banners felt tacked on and didn't really engage the audience. It felt like it could've ended after the big desert battle. However, if the final battle was really exciting, then I don't think people would've felt it dragged.

An example of a good final battle that occurs after what could already seem like a climax is True Lies. There's that whole scene with the escape from Art Malik's camp and Arnie rescuing Jamie Lee Curtis from the car that's about to go off the bridge. It could've seemed like it was the end with them kissing against the backdrop of the nuclear bomb. Then it starts up again and moves onto Eliza Dushku in danger on the building site and the whole plane rescue and fight scene. The climax was exciting, so it was welcomed and felt more like an encore compared to something like Ang Lee's Hulk.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

I love your example of True Lies. The chase scene on the highway and then the rescue of Arnold's daughter made that movie truly memorable. If there's one James Cameron movie that I can watch over and over, it's definitely True Lies.