The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #26
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Superman Irrelevant To Modern Audiences?

I would say part of the reason why Batman can get away with such things, is because he is so popular. In crossovers, a lot of other characters will be dumbed down, if Batman is present. Superman is probably the best example. Superman should be smarter than Batman. He literally has superhuman intelligence, so he should be overall, smarter than Batman. Other times you will have only Batman looking at evidence, even though the Flash is an educated forensic scientist. Just some examples off the top of my head.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #27
TheBat812
Side-Kick

all you have to do is humanize Superman. Make him struggle with relatable struggles within himself and with his relationships (not in an emo way). What makes him a great character to me is his personal vulnerability despite his immense strength and ability. His "do good to others and every man can be a superman" attitude is certainly are part of his moral code, but what makes you identify with him personally are the issues that come with being a superpowerful being with human emotions that mascarades as a mild-mannered reporter. Probably why I love Fleischer Superman so much, haha.

A character is simply a character. There's no reason Superman can't be a character people care about, it just depends how it's done.

Last edited by TheBat812; 03-31-2012 at 02:40 AM.
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

I think that if Superman would be alone in this story, he would be irrelevant... well, I'd say 'not so interesting'. What makes him interesting is that, next to his being the man of steel who can stop planes and lift islands up in the air, he has a normal life beside it. He has the Daily Planet, with his co-workers Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White, he has his mother, who provides him with a different insight to things. Without them in his life Superman would not nearly be as interesting as he is with. And that's what I think makes the character interesting. Not just the power, but all the things around him and the people shape him, even as Superman.

I think that's what the general people will think too. Superman just being Superman is boring. A hero that's so strong that nothing (aside from that famous green meteorite) and no one can hurt him, is just not interesting (if you ask me). I think modern audiences want a character that has two faces, and struggling to keep those two in balance.

If Man of Steel is done right, with all the elements needed to get the audiences of today interested, then there's nothing 'irrelevant' about Superman. And then keeping the people interested... I'm holding my heart...

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaratoiel View Post
I think that if Superman would be alone in this story, he would be irrelevant... well, I'd say 'not so interesting'. What makes him interesting is that, next to his being the man of steel who can stop planes and lift islands up in the air, he has a normal life beside it. He has the Daily Planet, with his co-workers Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White, he has his mother, who provides him with a different insight to things. Without them in his life Superman would not nearly be as interesting as he is with. And that's what I think makes the character interesting. Not just the power, but all the things around him and the people shape him, even as Superman.

I think that's what the general people will think too. Superman just being Superman is boring. A hero that's so strong that nothing (aside from that famous green meteorite) and no one can hurt him, is just not interesting (if you ask me). I think modern audiences want a character that has two faces, and struggling to keep those two in balance.

If Man of Steel is done right, with all the elements needed to get the audiences of today interested, then there's nothing 'irrelevant' about Superman. And then keeping the people interested... I'm holding my heart...

Agreed; I just wish that DC Comics believed in that as well, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten on what we did with the New 52 reboot where, in their attempt to so called "modernize" superman, they took away so many of those elements mentioned above.

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting Superman in some relevant situations, but like how Marvel was able to do with presenting Steve Rogers in their film universe, they should maintain the foundation of Superman's character where he's meant to represent the best of humanity (imho) and not be shown as some gritty and angst filled character like how they've done with Spiderman and Batman.

In fact, given on how many heroes we've gotten on the big screen that have been so dark and gritty with angst, I think heroes like Superman would be a welcome change.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #30
The Morningstar
Banned User

Well that's the thing. It is unique for a hero to be a hero just because they are naturally altruistic. Most heroes have some motivation for doing what they do. A tragedy driving them or what have you.

But Supes and Cap? Na, they don't need a motivation to be heroes. They just are.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Superman will be relevant as a film franchise if the movie's awesome. If people see the trailers and think, "that looks really good." that's true for any character or franchise. Batman's relevant because he's had two great movies in the last 7 years. Spider-man was relevant while his films were good. He'll stay relevant if the new one is good. Superman has a perceived obscurity because no film of his has captured audiences since Superman II, really. Look at Star Trek. Totally irrelevant until a kick-ass movie was released in 2009. Say all you want about his values, character, costume, but I don't think any of it means squat. A good movie means relevance. A good franchise means it continues.

Last edited by scifiwolf; 03-31-2012 at 11:26 AM.
scifiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Looking at the sets pics, the costumes and Snyder's comments, I think Man of Steel will reinterpret Superman - somewhat - as more of a warrior, a man of action. We know Jor-El will be kicking some ass, we know the Kryptonian costumes are armoured battlesuits, we know Cavill is pumped up to within an inch of his life, and we know Zac Snyder is all about ACTION.

I believe the essence of this new version of the character is to marry the traditional acts of heroics, with a new bad-ass, fighting Superman, taking out the trash on a biblical scale.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #33
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Relevant right now does not matter. Were Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek, Transformers, or Iron Man relevant a year before they were released?

If you're trying to predict whether or not he will be relevant when the movie is released, just look at the common factors those films have. There will always be a huge market for light, bright, action packed, exciting, dramatic, well made films in the summer. Superman returns was NOT all of those. Man of Steel looks to be improving everywhere it needs to.

I don't like the release date, however the film itself looks to be everything it needs to be, so far.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Honestly, I feel like people just flock to the Superhero that has the most popular/Best Movie... I don't think they really care what they stand for, or what powers they have. I am a die-hard Superman fan and these days I always have to defend him because everyone in the world loves Batman. However 6-7 years ago, before the Dark Knight, I felt it was different. I always had to defend him because everyone in the world loved Spider-man. I feel like nobody really cared for Batman back then.

To the general audience, you are only as good as your most recent film. After Spider-man 2, everyone loved him. After Spider-man 3, people didn't care for him anymore. So if Man of Steel has an engaging story and turns out to be an awesome movie, people will think differently of him.

7heBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
Rockstar
Banned User

This board is understandably a bit biased, but Superman is irrelevant to general audiences today.

However, the Nolan/Goyer/Snyder reinvention of Superman will make the character relevant again for the first time since 1978.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Looking at the sets pics, the costumes and Snyder's comments, I think Man of Steel will reinterpret Superman - somewhat - as more of a warrior, a man of action. We know Jor-El will be kicking some ass, we know the Kryptonian costumes are armoured battlesuits, we know Cavill is pumped up to within an inch of his life, and we know Zac Snyder is all about ACTION.

I believe the essence of this new version of the character is to marry the traditional acts of heroics, with a new bad-ass, fighting Superman, taking out the trash on a biblical scale.

So bascially Superman will be like a messiah? Wasn't he that in Superman Returns?

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
DoomsdayApex
苲rael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
[/B]

So bascially Superman will be like a messiah? Wasn't he that in Superman Returns?
To be honest, hasn't that been in every Superman film?

Superman is a being from another world, he has superpowers and he's willing to use them to protect the innocent and weak.

How does that NOT sound like a messiah, based on every film released?

MoS will explore Superman's 'darker' side/inexperience, physicality (something that has been nonexistent) and place in the 'modern' world.

Snyder's/Nolan's/Goyer's take will positively be a unique one, I think.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for 態atman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Right now he is irrelevant and if people like the new film he won't be but I have to agree that the release date isn't helping. It's just not a good release date.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 04-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Right now he is irreverent and if people like the new film he won't be but I have to agree that the release date isn't helping. It's just not a good release date.
Superman, disrespectful?

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #40
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Superman, disrespectful?
Thanks for pointing out my typo you jerk.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
Honestly, I feel like people just flock to the Superhero that has the most popular/Best Movie... I don't think they really care what they stand for, or what powers they have. I am a die-hard Superman fan and these days I always have to defend him because everyone in the world loves Batman. However 6-7 years ago, before the Dark Knight, I felt it was different. I always had to defend him because everyone in the world loved Spider-man. I feel like nobody really cared for Batman back then.
You are absolutely right. I joined these boards when the first Spider-Man movie dropped. EVERYONE was all over Spidey, while bashing Batman because of the schumacher films.

Now, everyone's all over Iron Man and Batman. Because they're fads right now. Thats why all this "Is Superman relevent" talk is useless.

The problem isn't relatability or relevancy, because ANY superhero can be relevant. The simple problem is that Superman hasn't had a movie for the ADD, Action hungry big FX starved generation of moviegoers.

You don't need to have Clark act like less of a disguise. You don't need to power him down. Hell, you probably could even pull off having the movie be a quasi sequel to some old version...you could do anything you want as long as you present it in the context of a 21st Century film with a good story.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #42
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post

Might for Right superman. That how superman started his career.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I don't understand the idea of reinterpreting superman as a fighter when comic superman as been kicking ass for a long time. It like everyone idea of Superman is mostly based on the Donner's Superman. So instead of using the comics for inspiration they have to pull all of there ideas from Donner's Superman or make changes in opposition of Donner's Superman.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 04-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #43
Boosted
Side-Kick

i think superman is always relevant to some degree. His symbol is still more popular than any other, oddly enough with hip hop culture now. A couple days ago i saw 3 guys at school wearing a superman shirt, and they were all different. but if we're saying as a character....the new superman in the comics and i assume this movie are much more 21st century

Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #44
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
To be honest, hasn't that been in every Superman film?

Superman is a being from another world, he has superpowers and he's willing to use them to protect the innocent and weak.

How does that NOT sound like a messiah, based on every film released?

MoS will explore Superman's 'darker' side/inexperience, physicality (something that has been nonexistent) and place in the 'modern' world.

Snyder's/Nolan's/Goyer's take will positively be a unique one, I think.
he can not be a messiah becuse the superman fans complained that he was a mesiah in SR . if he should now be because Snyder directed watchmen and Nolan is the batman god than this is hypocrisy. and i will be here the whole year to remind everyone.

and trust me i will make sure to remember everyone how they complained that SR was to dark. yet now they are praising the MOS symbol for being dark.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #45
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I realized a long time ago that most superman fans on here dont know what they're talking about most of the time, and dont seem to know what they actually want.

They used to bash pre-crisis fans for wanting a more old school approach to Superman, and then started to praise Grant Morrison's Superman...which brought back the same Superman most rallied against. posters bash Chris Reeve's Superman for not being like Golden age Superman, yet will cite Dean Cain or tim daly as their favorite Superman, lol.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #46
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I honestly don't care if he is relevant or irrelevant to others...I enjoy his stories, shows and films and that's all that matters

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #47
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

The reason he's irrelevant to many people is because he appears sanctimonious.

People hate being judged. Superman is a character who judges very harshly, and people can't and don't want to relate to him because of that.

To a lot of people, Superman is far too perfect, so they can't relate with. Because it makes them feel like crap.

The likes of us, we see it in a different way, but the GA don't.
I think the way to solve it, as said, is to make his characterisation based on him wanting to inspire people. Yeah, I know, Superman shouldn't have to be anything for anyone because he's just being himself yada yada. But if that issue has to be resolved, there has to be something that shows Superman is JUST like the rest of us, but he chooses, struggles to be the best of himself, which people in life honestly try to do. That makes him relateable, therefore relevant.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #48
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
and trust me i will make sure to remember everyone how they complained that SR was to dark. yet now they are praising the MOS symbol for being dark.
Ironic, isn't it?

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #49
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
he can not be a messiah becuse the superman fans complained that he was a mesiah in SR . if he should now be because Snyder directed watchmen and Nolan is the batman god than this is hypocrisy. and i will be here the whole year to remind everyone.

Are you speaking in general or about the other forum members? Im just asking because I wasn't a member here back when SR was coming out and I don't know of those complaints. As everyone else I know and on other sites, the complaint about SR wasn't anything about it being 创dark``, it was a (large) number of other things. Or are you referring to the symbol only? If so, the red is still darker on the SR symbol.

And regardless, I don't see anyone praising the MOS symbol just because it's 创dark``. I think people who like it simply like the design. And that particular MOS banner obviously plays with the 创dark world`` and Superman as a beacon of hope (as the synopsis states) in this world, since the symbol glows with light. And the symbol itself very obviously plays with the STEEL in Man Of Steel. Better than just looking like a poorly colored, ordinary S that resembles a piece of plastic with no meaning, IMO of course.

Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #50
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Are you speaking in general or about the other forum members? Im just asking because I wasn't a member here back when SR was coming out and I don't know of those complaints. As everyone else I know and on other sites, the complaint about SR wasn't anything about it being 创dark``, it was a (large) number of other things. Or are you referring to the symbol only? If so, the red is still darker on the SR symbol.

And regardless, I don't see anyone praising the MOS symbol just because it's 创dark``. I think people who like it simply like the design. And that particular MOS banner obviously plays with the 创dark world`` and Superman as a beacon of hope (as the synopsis states) in this world, since the symbol glows with light. And the symbol itself very obviously plays with the STEEL in Man Of Steel. Better than just looking like a poorly colored, ordinary S that resembles a piece of plastic with no meaning, IMO of course.
100% agreed.

It will really annoy me if people start saying that liking any darker aspects of MOS means your a hypocrite if you didn't like the dark aspects of SR.

I don't like emo, lonely, brooding Superman. That doesn't mean I won't like a Superman film with a darker world.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote