The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #151
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Characters you'd like to see in future Avengers movies?

Really?

Quantum Physics-level control of reality manifesting as 'luck control.' Sounds pretty straightforward. The level of effect she has is scary, and perhaps could play a very well towards a threat that also has some sort of Quantum-level power. Like Thanos. or Kang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Not necessarily.

I think the likelihood of Wonder Man making it onto the team is still *at least* a decade away, if at all, and just going by fan-love, Marvel is more likely to push to bring Vision in even before Simon, which pretty much writes off his 616 backstory altogether.

But I think if Vision is to show up in the MCU, it makes more sense for his advanced AI to be something that already exists and can be (relatively) easily inserted into an android body. That's why the suggestions I hear about JARVIS becoming Vision's AI make more sense than any "brainwave scan" to use on Simon Williams *or* Phil Coulson.

Yeah, I *sure* as hell ain't in any hurry to see Wanda go all "Disassembled" on the team when they're just now in their infancy. If/when she joins, I'd like to see the *potential* there, but not to the point of breaking up the team and threatening the very existence of reality.
Yeah, JARVIS would be the easiest. Tony could make Vision right now, and basically explain him with a single line of dialogue and a single establishing shot. It'd be hard to explain why we wouldn't call it JARVIS, though.

While not everyone's favorite idea, things like not showing what they did with Coulson's body (to the point that some ppl think he's still alive), and Fury's remark "I lost my good eye" set up for Coulson becoming "Vision." While certainly there's no such thing as brainwave scans, the idea of downloading someone's memory into a computer doesn't really seem too far out there. Of course, they haven't set anything like that up, so there's still a piece missing before that could happen. Still, I can see why the idea 'sticks' and it's growing on me quickly.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #152
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, JARVIS would be the easiest. Tony could make Vision right now, and basically explain him with a single line of dialogue and a single establishing shot. It'd be hard to explain why we wouldn't call it JARVIS, though.

I could see Tony making a big deal out of creating an android and using JARVIS' AI to make it sentient, and then naming the prototype something grandiose, like "Vision."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #153
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm with you on this one MK, I'm not a big fan of almost every superhero in the MU being Avengers and I definately don't want to see it happen in live action either.

I agree with both of you...I hope they just dont blow it out of proportion like some of the comics...however i would like to see Red Skull, and Loki again...idk its very early I would love to look back on this thread like mid 2014 after most of the movies from Phase II are out

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #154
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'd want Vision to be Vision. Ultron's creation.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #155
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

I would honestly just add Ant man and Wasp

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #156
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
I could see Tony making a big deal out of creating an android and using JARVIS' AI to make it sentient, and then naming the prototype something grandiose, like "Vision."
That's interesting. I've never seen this Tony name anything grandiosely. Nor is JARVIS sentient, afaik. But he'd certainly make a big deal out of it, that's for sure.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #157
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

It would bug me, personally, if Stark was the one to create the Vision. Taking that away from Pym and side stepping Ultron.
I would do this, Pym joins the team in one movie, the next film he creates Ultron and Ultron creates Vision. Vision and Pym stop Ultron.
Maybe Ultron also creates the Super Adaoptoids too (as his army).

I think that whoever they add to the team they do need more female members. So far its Black Widow and then 5 guys. Maybe they should add Ms. Marvel and Wasp (along with Pym).
I'd like to see Black Panther added as well, and eventually the Vision.

I would also love Rick Jones to be added as a kid who hangs around their mansion or something, don't know how he would be introduced. Maybe as a SHIELD agent. But I would LOVE a scene where Rick is in the Stark kitchen mooching, eating some of Stark's food, and the AI butler Jarvis is complaining. He and Jarvis could be a fun comedic team.

Last edited by Artistsean; 05-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #158
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

If Pym's not available, or if Ultron/Vision were based on his work and Tony just restarted it, that wouldn't bother me so much. It'd be the best possible outcome.

Speaking of alternate origins and Ms. Marvel, I thought what if her origin was different, could she fit in someone else's movie? What if instead of an explosion involving Captain Marvel she got her powers from an explosion involving the Cosmic Cube? Or some of the cube energy source things from Phase II? In fact, that would actually tie into Cap's movie, if he's investigating New Hydra, working with SHIELD, he has Carol Danvers as a handler, she might get trapped with the stuff, Cap can't save her, boom! That way, you can introduce a new character in the sequel, like you did with Black Widow in the also SHIELD-heavy Iron Man 2. Could be fun.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #159
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Black Panther
Ant-Man
The Wasp
Vision
Those are my top 4 as well, they could introduce Ant-Man and Wasp in A2 then bring in Black Panther and Vision for A3.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #160
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
It would be too complicated for non-Marvel readers.
- "What is her power, Fury?"
- "She can manipulate probabilities. Make things happen that seem unlikely to happen. Of course, her power is not without limits. But for most people, it will look like magic. That's why we call her a witch."

Doesn't look too complicated for me and would take 10-15 seconds.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #161
dbxkilla
Newbie First Class

I'm changing my characters to ant man, wasp, and vision. Doctor strange recently became an avenger in the comics and probably won't be till the third movie. BUt i would love to be proven wrong

dbxkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #162
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
- "She can manipulate probabilities. Make things happen that seem unlikely to happen. Of course, her power is not without limits. But for most people, it will look like magic. That's why we call her a witch."

It's a little hard to establish and communicate limits for her powers though, that's the tricky part. It can be done, but it's certainly not easily done with a line of dialogue. With all the other characters, they really showed off their abilities and gave us benchmarks. Loki can take automatic gunfire without blinking, but can be buried if a building falls on him. His blast can take out a truck. Captain America's strong enough to one arm a gym bag, but not so strong to break it one punch. Hulk... well... Hulk just breaks everything he hits, but he has to hit it, and he also might hit everyone else. With SW, you can't really 'show' her powers being strained, and it's not easy to say 'she can't do this' in a way that's obvious and intuitive.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #163
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Quote:
If Pym's not available, or if Ultron/Vision were based on his work and Tony just restarted it, that wouldn't bother me so much. It'd be the best possible outcome.

Speaking of alternate origins and Ms. Marvel, I thought what if her origin was different, could she fit in someone else's movie? What if instead of an explosion involving Captain Marvel she got her powers from an explosion involving the Cosmic Cube? Or some of the cube energy source things from Phase II? In fact, that would actually tie into Cap's movie, if he's investigating New Hydra, working with SHIELD, he has Carol Danvers as a handler, she might get trapped with the stuff, Cap can't save her, boom! That way, you can introduce a new character in the sequel, like you did with Black Widow in the also SHIELD-heavy Iron Man 2. Could be fun.
I like that idea... easy way of setting up Carol for a TA2 that still could make sense in the MCU Phase II.

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #164
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:

I, for one, would be cool with that alternate origin for Ms. Marvel. Do you think they'd stick with her Ms. Marvel name? Or would they change it for the MCU? If they did, hopefully they'd at least stick with a known comic alias and not make one up out of thin air.. I would go with Warbird if they don't use Ms. marvel.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #165
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I have no idea. In a movie context, I always see Warbird as her kind of Air Force handle, what is on her pilot helmet/aircraft. I can't figure out a way to 'earn' the name Ms. Marvel. I think the "Ms." can be sarcastic at first, either from Tony or Fury, but why "Marvel?" Especially without Mahr Vehl in the mix, it's hard to say why anyone would refer to her as that. Hulk is a hulk, and it stuck. Iron man is a newspaper name thing, and he just owned it. Thor is his birth name. Captain America is a propaganda title that he took ownership of. Black Widow is a spy name, Hawkeye... well, that didn't even get mentioned, I don't think. Dr. Strange is his actual name. Black Panther is an office title. Ant-Man and Wasp are just plain old superhero descriptive goodness.

Ms. Marvel? I dunno. She might be braggadocios at one point and refer to herself as a modern marvel, and later Tony might address her as she comes in the room "Oh, well, if it isn't Ms. Marvel. Any [insert wisecrack]?" Of course, she could still be using her Warbird handle too, and that could just be an easter egg. I dunno.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #166
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
I like that idea... easy way of setting up Carol for a TA2 that still could make sense in the MCU Phase II.
That idea makes sense to me, too....as long as the MCU doesn't introduce Kree anytime soon.

It's a great alternate backstory for Carol, and works fine....what's important about Ms. Marvel is her powers, not so much her background. But if/when the Kree ever show up with Mar-Vell, the fanboy brigades are gonna start whining about comic book continuity. If that ever happens, maybe they can still make Carol intimately tied to the fate of the Kree through just a simple romance with Mar-Vell.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #167
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a little hard to establish and communicate limits for her powers though, that's the tricky part.
The same is true for any movie character who can do magic. So according to you, it should have been a problem for Harry Potter and it would be a problem for Doc Strange if he gets his own movie.

I, however, don't see that problem.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #168
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
That idea makes sense to me, too....as long as the MCU doesn't introduce Kree anytime soon.

It's a great alternate backstory for Carol, and works fine....what's important about Ms. Marvel is her powers, not so much her background. But if/when the Kree ever show up with Mar-Vell, the fanboy brigades are gonna start whining about comic book continuity. If that ever happens, maybe they can still make Carol intimately tied to the fate of the Kree through just a simple romance with Mar-Vell.
I agree 100%. Which is refreshing, because I really do appreciate your point of view, so it's nice to be on the same page for once.

Quote:
The same is true for any movie character who can do magic. So according to you, it should have been a problem for Harry Potter and it would be a problem for Doc Strange if he gets his own movie.

I, however, don't see that problem.
No, it's not true for any character that does magic. In HP, for instance, they establish a very limited number of effects that Harry can do, starting with 0. They add to these effects over time. Same with Loki. Doc Strange may do something similar.

No movie character has just had the ability to affect everything from the get go. There is always a limit and a visual demonstration of them hitting that limit so you can put something bigger than that in front of them and keep the story tension. For Neo it was belief. For Inception people it was detection/resistance. Always a limit. What would be SW's? How easy would it be to visualize to the audience? Limit could be anything, but in every case, not easy to visualize. Possible, it'll just require some extra creative finesse.

If it's the same as HPs, it'll be very easy, she can only deflect projectiles, or shapepshift, or make bright lights of goodness.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #169
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
I have no idea. In a movie context, I always see Warbird as her kind of Air Force handle, what is on her pilot helmet/aircraft. I can't figure out a way to 'earn' the name Ms. Marvel. I think the "Ms." can be sarcastic at first, either from Tony or Fury, but why "Marvel?" Especially without Mahr Vehl in the mix, it's hard to say why anyone would refer to her as that. Hulk is a hulk, and it stuck. Iron man is a newspaper name thing, and he just owned it. Thor is his birth name. Captain America is a propaganda title that he took ownership of. Black Widow is a spy name, Hawkeye... well, that didn't even get mentioned, I don't think. Dr. Strange is his actual name. Black Panther is an office title. Ant-Man and Wasp are just plain old superhero descriptive goodness.

Ms. Marvel? I dunno. She might be braggadocios at one point and refer to herself as a modern marvel, and later Tony might address her as she comes in the room "Oh, well, if it isn't Ms. Marvel. Any [insert wisecrack]?" Of course, she could still be using her Warbird handle too, and that could just be an easter egg. I dunno.
Easy. She's a Marvel and likes the honorific. She knows everyone else has a codename so she gives herself one. Done!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
How are the movies going to explain Scarlet Witches powers?
Easy enough, they've already talked about magic. If magic can exist as well as gods, then so can witches. Wanda is a witch. It would be handy to have a witch on a team of superheroes.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #170
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Easy. She's a Marvel and likes the honorific. She knows everyone else has a codename so she gives herself one. Done!
Sometimes you'll hear writers or directors talking about 'earning' something in a story, or doing responsible storytelling. When something is contrived or forced, it comes out, and is off putting. An airforce intelligence agent randomly picking the word marvel out of thin air and the adding the very non superheroic 'Ms.' to it in order to fit in with a bunch of superheroes (why would she want to, again?). That's not honest storytelling. That's ignoring the story to get what you want, and it makes for a bad movie.

Quote:
Easy enough, they've already talked about magic. If magic can exist as well as gods, then so can witches. Wanda is a witch. It would be handy to have a witch on a team of superheroes.
You mean Science!Magic? And Alien!Gods? Cuz that's what they've done. What would be the Sci-Fi explanation for 'witch?'

Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #171
Closerframe
Side-Kick

Avengers I'd like to see

-Ant-Man
-Black Panther
-Dr. Strange
-She Hulk
-The Wasp
-War Machine
-Vision

Villains I'd like to see

-Kang
-Korvac
-Ultron
-Skrull
-Red Skull

Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #172
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Though unlikely, I think including Spidey in The Avengers somewhere down the road would guarantee an even larger BO draw then TA.

Realistically, I would like to see
War Machine and
Nathan Fillion as Henry Pym in TA2.

Villain should be a team of villains - one from each franchise.
Ultron,
Red Skull,
Mandarin,
The Leader or Absorbing Man,
while Thanos is pulling the strings.

Maybe Loki can help TA fight.

Last edited by Stark Bauer; 05-15-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #173
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Spidey and Wolvie will NEVER be in the lineup. The best chance we have of that is in the cartoon....which won't be EMH D:

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #174
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
Spidey and Wolvie will NEVER be in the lineup. The best chance we have of that is in the cartoon....which won't be EMH D:
Not in the foreseeable future, of course, since Wolverine is Fox's cash cow and Spidey is the only thing Sony has left.

But people who keep up with these things (including me) know full well that Sony's studios are on their last legs right now. The studio has been bleeding like a sieve and losing billions of dollars....it's only a matter of time before it folds, or at least has to resort to desperate measures to stay afloat.

That's why a lot of Spidey fans are smelling blood in the water and drooling over the very real possibility that Marvel Studios might have Webhead back in the next couple of years or so.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #175
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Quote:
Sony's studios are on their last legs right now. The studio has been bleeding like a sieve and losing billions of dollars....it's only a matter of time before it folds, or at least has to resort to desperate measures to stay afloat.

That's why a lot of Spidey fans are smelling blood in the water and drooling over the very real possibility that Marvel Studios might have Webhead back in the next couple of years or so.
HYPE-RESTORED!

Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote