The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #376
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Look of the Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Since Avatar, the presentation of Hulk being continually refined over the last few movies, the work on LotR, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I'm not terribly concerned about the turtles' looks with regard to the CGI quality. It'll also come down to the design of the turtles themselves. Textures and color choices can make or break them, regardless of how good the effects are. There's also the cinematography. Looking at the 1990 film, or the gameplay from the upcoming release, they look amazing in a gritty setting with somewhat low levels of lighting.

As for the look and design, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the current IDW run.
Oh, I'm sure the CG will look fine and as photo-real as the tech will allow. But I'll still be aware that what I'm seeing is CG, and in that sense, I do wish they'd incorporate live-action elements instead of settling for mo-cap wholesale. It's the "just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should" argument and has nothing to do with artistry, per se.

Avatar, Hulk, Caesar, etc were all top-notch effects, and I enjoyed them, but, think for a moment of the visceral difference if (using some bleeding-edge suit/animatronic technology which no one is working on, because why bother?) the Hulk as you saw him was a mostly-in-camera effect. He'd go from being well-rendered CG that you'd gladly suspend your disbelief for to a pants-sh**ingly real, terrifying creature in a second.

It's like that scene with the jeeps in Jurassic Park where, just knowing that (part of the time) an actual, extraordinarily-large and heavy machine with sharp-looking claws and teeth was hovering over the set made it that much more tense whereas the fight at the end was mostly just spectacle.

That's all I'm saying. it's easier suspending disbelief over a humanoid turtle doing backflips and cracking jokes when there's a humanoid turtle doing backflips and cracking jokes vs. a computer model of one, and I wish filmmakers would remember that and at least try. Maybe by the time the sequels are in development we'll finally breach the uncanny valley and you won't have any idea whether it's in-camera or not, but we aren't there yet.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #377
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

It would look too clunky. The characters are supposed to be able to move swiftly, and they range from lithe to bulky in their body types. CG is honestly the only route to go to get a realistic depiction regarding the action.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #378
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
It would look too clunky. The characters are supposed to be able to move swiftly, and they range from lithe to bulky in their body types. CG is honestly the only route to go to get a realistic depiction regarding the action.
Oh? You've done the research? Invested in the R&D, have you?

I'm not even saying you wouldn't be right (although I don't think the performances in the original film's suits were "clunky". They could move just fine), but it's been two decades. I think maybe if someone tried they'd be able to make a different approach work. At the very least, they could try.

That's my point. We've gotten so lazy with CGI that it's not even worth anyone's time to attempt anything else. A practical element thrown into the mix might even be more mind-blowing now that our brains have gotten so accustomed to pixels... Again, the CG will turn out fine, I'm sure, but by no means is it the "only route" unless you (not you in particular) are just too lazy to think of anything else. It's less innovation nowadays, more "refinement".

Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #379
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I'm totally in agreement that a proper blend between practical and post-production effects is always the best course of action. The problem is, 'proper' blend varies from project to project. A technique along the lines of Where the Wild Things Are doesn't strike me as working. The problem with suits is that they can be done, but likely too restrictive to make the turtles move like we've never seen before, and like we've always wanted. I also think of instances in which heads/faces are 100% CGI, but attached to in-camera bodies. Those have always struck me as too jarring to work. The other example I'd like to bring up is cases in which certain fighting moves are executed with a CGI double, when the remainder of that character's presence is in-camera. Blade II is the example I most typically point to for that. It is also apparent in recent superhero movies.

Bottom line, I'm thinking that, if CGI is going to be heavily present in executing the turtles, the least of all evils may very-well be doing them as 100% CGI mo-cap, which is what we're getting. It's not lazy, it's just appropriate.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #380
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Since Avatar, the presentation of Hulk being continually refined over the last few movies, the work on LotR, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I'm not terribly concerned about the turtles' looks with regard to the CGI quality. It'll also come down to the design of the turtles themselves. Textures and color choices can make or break them, regardless of how good the effects are. There's also the cinematography. Looking at the 1990 film, or the gameplay from the upcoming release, they look amazing in a gritty setting with somewhat low levels of lighting.

As for the look and design, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the current IDW run.
TBH, the Hulk's CGI wasn't refined that much over the course of his last 3 movie appearances.

The thing is, there was a drop off in quality with TIH because ILM didn't do the CG work. But if you compare ILM's work on Hulk to there work in The Avengers, there isn't much difference. We get a very real looking Hulk in both as compared to TIH where he looks borderline cartoony at times. No offense to Rhythm and Hues though. They are good, but their work in TIH wasn't very good IMO. I blame the design mostly.

I would say that the CG work in this film will likely be done by ILM or Weta, so we can expect solid CGI on the Turtles.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #381
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I'm inclined to agree...then I catch a glimpse of the amazing work done on hellboy. I'd personally go with the abe sapien approach. CG facial acting, and body replacement when needed. But otherwise actors in suits.

Still after avatar and pirates, anything is possible.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #382
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Many things are worrisome about this movie but the look of the turtles (CGI) ala Rise of the Planet of the Apes will not be one of them. It'll probably be the main reason to see the movie.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #383
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte_Sun View Post
The cartoon turtles, and the ones on the first TMNT movie had faces that resembled frogs.
Compared to how cartoony and frog like Secret of the Ooze, and TMNT 3(AND to an extent 2007 TMNT movie) I would say the first movie(and to an extent the Ninja Turtles: the next mutation for a low budget fox show) had the best turtle design.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is

Last edited by ironman29758; 04-12-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #384
OutRiddled
Banned User

It doesn't matter how good the CGI is, it's not going to look better than the suits and animatronics used in the first TMNT movie back in 1990.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #385
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Debatable lol

Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #386
Octoberist
point blank

The turtles did look good back then. I'll admit, they're still remarkable. The only bad thing is the clumsy movements but you can't be a stickler on that considering the era. The martial arts are fine; nothing too fancy but sometimes inventive.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #387
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The turtles did look good back then. I'll admit, they're still remarkable. The only bad thing is the clumsy movements but you can't be a stickler on that considering the era. The martial arts are fine; nothing too fancy but sometimes inventive.
This is a great point. Arguably you can't beat four remarkable looking suits and pretty damn good martial arts within those suits. And although I loved the head pieces, there's definitely room for improvement. Especially in the 1990 film, the facial movements weren't very fluid (I mean they're animatronic puppets, what more can you get). The motion capture is a good idea if done right. Although even that kind of technology seems kind of strange for the turtles. Motion capture is especially good for humanoid creatures, like Navi and apes because they very heavily resemble humans. The turtles really don't. So, although I'm not crazy about this reboot (almost at all at this point) I am mildly curious on how they'll portray the turtles...and what they'll bomb next.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #388
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

The talking wasn't really convincing either. Maybe parts of it, like the shells, legs and arms could be practical, and heads, hands, and feet would be CGI? In fight scenes they should be all CGI imo

Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #389
Octoberist
point blank

It is what it is, you know. I think they're fine for what they were at the time. The whole point was that you believed in those characters. Regardless if its 1990 or 2013, they're still believable due to the writing and their interactions. Think how 'Jaws' didn't have the most realistic shark but it was still terrifying due to the drama.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #390
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Another trailer and big pics of the turtles for that video game...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Donnie

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Leo

Mikey

Raph

It looks like other than the new toon's logo, they're taking some some visual cues as well.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 04-24-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #391
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

Those look pretty awesome!!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #392
terry78

Those may be what they may be going for. The designs do work.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #393
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Those pics areally really amazing, hope the movie is thinking along these same lines cuz I'm very impressed.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #394
terry78

I'd probably make the eyes less CG Scooby Doo, but other than that they're decent.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #395
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I don't know why the perfectly symmetrical texture map for their bodies bothers me. Ralph looks like he's got a balding head of hair.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #396
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

I like how childish Mikey looks haha!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #397
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

So Bay stated that the CGI looks so real and cool and that the turtle models look awesome! AND he said this isn't HIS film, it's John Liebsman.

So I'm pumped to see what they'll look like!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #398
terry78

They ever announce a budget for this?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #399
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I have a feeling it'll be a long time before we see the looks. They won't be revealed during location shooting since there are no costumes, so no reason to preemptively release anything.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #400
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I wouldn't be surprised if these designs reflect the film version too due to corporate synergy and all that.

Closed Thread